• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayjaplaya

Neo Member
Hmm... I was wondering if an upcoming patch will allow emergency vehicles to cheat when it comes to getting to places... Sometimes the vehicles end up bunching up even if there are open lanes.
Yeah I'm slightly confused by that design decision. I'm too used to driving the emergency vehicles myself, plowing and smashing through traffic, horn permanently on.

I ran my first 3 towns into the ground within 15 mins... I really need to get better at this/ figure out what I am doing.. Still sort of confused how power lines work.

Do you turn on policies?

Policies were costing me like $2K a WEEK, which was putting me in the negative.

Regarding power:

Make sure your energy production is higher than your consumption, or else you'll have power failures.

Increase production by raising budget, making another wind turbine... Power lines seem to have an invisible spread, but you just put them on the perimeter of a zone, and you should see them lighting up the buildings in a blue colour.

SumGamer

Is it possible to increase font size in this game? The screen looks just fine to me but the text makes me staring hard into the screen. Or my only way is to lower resolution?

Klyka

Banned
Do you turn on policies?

Regarding power:

Make sure your energy production is higher than your consumption, or else you'll have power failures.

Increase production by raising budget, making another wind turbine... Power lines seem to have an invisible spread, but you just put them on the perimeter of a zone, and you should see them lighting up the buildings in a blue colour.

A powerline has to be placed inside the blue electricity zone or it will not provide power.

eot

Banned
Not playing the game myself yet, but from looking at screens it seems like most roads are rather wide in comparison to buildings. It's like 40% of the map area is filled with roads. Looks a little off to me.

Is it possible to increase font size in this game? The screen looks just fine to me but the text makes me staring hard into the screen. Or my only way is to lower resolution?

It reads your system's DPI scaling, though be warned that the UI doesn't have higher-resolution assets, so expect some blur.

elyetis

Pretty happy about how my city is evolving into :

1426095254-255710-2015-03-11-00004.jpg

You must think that the traffic must be hell on earth, but you couldn't be more wr... right.. sadly it's becoming pretty bad, I'm trying to fix it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It should be pretty easy to make challange maps for this,r gith? like,scenarios? seeing how we have a map editor and you can just get savegames/maps from the workshop?

Yeah, I would think it would be very easy to do so. Like a NeoGAF city building challenge, that would be cool.

Not playing the game myself yet, but from looking at screens it seems like most roads are rather wide in comparison to buildings. It's like 40% of the map area is filled with roads. Looks a little off to me.

I initially thought so too, until I realized that all roads include sidewalks for pedestrians, and they get used too. The sidewalks make the roads seem a bit wider than most of us are used to in the Simcity games. Most roads also include space for sims to park there cars along the street edges too, so yeah the roads are wide but for good reasons IMHO. Looks cool in game down at street level.

Yeah, I would think it would be very easy to do so. Like a NeoGAF city building challenge, that would be cool.

I think this would be neat. Design some maps that are difficult to manage, and see how everyone uniquely handles the challenge.

edit: Here is my lunchbreak progress.

ASdS8jn.jpg

Managed some traffic issues that were allowing garbage to pile up (building the 4 lane over pass), and constructed a 4 lane road down to where downtown will be, to hopefully keep the larger industrial/commercial traffic out of the residential areas (which was bottlenecking things in some places).

Rad-

My 2-lane traffic was doing just fine with 35k population but I decided to start upgrading to 6-lane and 4-lane just to be safe... now my whole city is fucked with traffic. Wtf? How. Could it be traffic lights?

My 2-lane traffic was doing just fine with 35k population but I decided to start upgrading to 6-lane and 4-lane just to be safe... now my whole city is fucked with traffic. Wtf? How. Could it be traffic lights?

Traffic lights are the devil. Avoid at all costs. I had the same thing happen when I upgraded a roundabout from a 2 lane one-way to a 6 lane one.

Mayjaplaya

Neo Member
Do you turn on policies?

I tried the first 3 policies on for a while and got a bit worried when I noticed I was suddenly losing money.

Has anybody measured the actual benefits of the policies to see if they're ever worth it?

CzarTim

Man I was going to make a map based on the Cincinnati terrain.party map, but apparently Cincy is almost entirely under sea level. Going to take me forever to make it not just a giant lake haha

Klyka

Banned
I tried the first 3 policies on for a while and got a bit worried when I noticed I was suddenly losing money.

Has anybody measured the actual benefits of the policies to see if they're ever worth it?

I think they are only worth it on higher density because you pay "per building".
So on many smaller buildings you pay way too much for how much water/electricity you save, but on the big buildings with lots of people in them it can be worth it

DGaio

With my larger city, it runs like ass.
I've set everything to low and turned off all the bells and whistles to be able to play. :(

VO3s1uEl.png

There have been a few reports that the game is having problems with Nvidia hardware on the Mac side, while older macs with ATI/AMD hardware and even the new integrated graphics from Intel are running it fairly smoothly, so hopefully they can issue an update to resolve it.

Hmm... I was wondering if an upcoming patch will allow emergency vehicles to cheat when it comes to getting to places... Sometimes the vehicles end up bunching up even if there are open lanes.

Yeah that seems to be a problem with the agent logic in that they will always immediately take the lane they need no matter what is open, which would be fine if emergency services didn't exist but it's a little frustrating to see a line of cars all wanting to turn left ahead piled up behind an ambulance despite a completely open lane beside them. I think having those services as actual agents in the game is key to the experience, but I wish the rest of the traffic had a little more flexibility in how it uses the lanes. It has only been a minor problem for me so far though!

Gotta tell the girlfriend I'm busy tonight so I can play more after work, the two hours I managed to squeeze in last night were not enough! Love how the game feels so far though.

Yes they will leave their cars parked. It is insane how much it helps.

I basically have a city now where in my entire residential district barely any normal car drives. They all walk and will soon take the bus. I have 1 health clinic and 1 cemetery and they have perfect coverage and access for a population of 3500.
I have 1 police department and 2 fire departments and never has a building burned down cause they can get to any of them without a hitch.

I fucking love my city.

3500 is very small lol. Wait till you need to manage 35000.

Looks like Skylines will stay at a 89% Metacritic score. Well deserved, hopefully this gets more people to check it out. So many people are gun shy about this genre after Sim City and Cities XXL. Keep spreading the word!

ZetaEpyon

Started a new district in town before heading to bed last night...

It's kind of nestled up against a hillside though, so the layout is a bit messed up from what I had wanted.

Mass transit seems to be working pretty well though. I have a metro line that dumps people out right by the opera house, and then a bus loop that runs up the hill with stops at the stadium and the expo center. A second line loops through the residential and office sections to the right and then back to the metro station.

InertiaXr

Can anybody give me an idea of what % of your population is using public transport? I only have buses so far, was thinking of building a metro but even with a pretty decent bus line setup in my opinion, I'm only getting 1,500 people out of my 45,000 population using public transport each week. :/ No need to spend a ton of money on a metro if even with the 'free public transport' policy city wide I'm barely getting any bus usage.

zeroOman

Just to show off, my first city - was going well last night. Got to 10k pop. and a moment after I took the pics below my PC had some kind of fit and I lost my progress. Sobering lesson to save game every 1 second.

bandicam_2015_03_11_00_24_16_454.jpg

No matter in the end as today, I've got a new city under way, just under 20k at the moment. Going for a northern English town kind of layout. four lane bypasses go a long way in streamlining your traffic without the need for highways.

bandicam_2015_03_11_16_18_26_090.jpg

bandicam_2015_03_11_16_17_33_182.jpg

how to build over a road? and I can't get high density market thing to work ....

ZetaEpyon

Can anybody give me an idea of what % of your population is using public transport? I only have buses so far, was thinking of building a metro but even with a pretty decent bus line setup in my opinion, I'm only getting 1,500 people out of my 45,000 population using public transport each week. :/ No need to spend a ton of money on a metro if even with the 'free public transport' policy city wide I'm barely getting any bus usage.

I have about 3,000 out of my city of 23,000 using public transport. I have a bunch of bus lines and metro lines, but no passenger train. Also have free public transport policy enabled.

It's constant sandbox, but there are challenges, milestones and achievements to hunt if you need a little more direction.

Meh, curse all the love for sandbox. I want a campaign. I easily grow bored of the sandbox.

Still looks interesting I'm sure I will have it once upon a steam sale.

My rMBP, specifically the Iris 5100 integrated card absolutely wants to kill me for making it run this game, but gosh darn it nothings keeping me from playing this game! Not even this atrocious resolution!

humble beginnings
1fr7IhQ.png

1 hour and 1 loan (just paid off!) later...
4DtZNPp.png

I'm not going to get a lot of work done these next few weeks :\

InertiaXr

I have about 3,000 out of my city of 23,000 using public transport. I have a bunch of bus lines and metro lines, but no passenger train. Also have free public transport policy enabled.

Alright cool, maybe I just need a nice metro setup too. What do your bus stops look like zoomed in? Each of mine have about a thousand people waiting it seems, I've seen other peoples cities have had the same thing so I'm not sure if that means I have huge demand but not enough buses or just all stops look like that for some reason.

I'm at about 12,000 residents now. When you guys design your cities, do you tend to bulldoze built up areas and redraw roads/mass transit to alleviate traffic or solve it some other way. I think I need to watch some of the traffic tutorial videos. Also might need to take out a loan.

Mik2121

God, 3:30am (almost) again! Time to sleep. Here's an update of how my city is looking.

Full city view. I'm slowly getting rid of the factories and changing them with offices. I will also probably add factories again but in the northern side, next to the small little town I got going on up there.

Central Park district! Got all my fancy houses here.

The little town everybody (in a train) has to get through before reaching my city. I like this town but i think I will make it a factory-heavy town with all the cheaper labor and dirty jobs... already feel bad for the people living here!

My convention hall, future shopping area and new exotic area for the people with money to live (hopefully!). Got some buses and subway going to the main train station and a couple other areas in the town.

And a view of the incredibly boring entrance to my town. There's another entrance that is newer, but it's also not very interesting...

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
First-person camera mod that got released about an hour ago:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406255342&searchtext=

Took a screenshot at a bus station on one of the busier streets. Do note that there's clipping if you're too close to the ground, and you can't see inside buildings, cars, buses, people etc. I can't wait until someone make better textures/variety for cars, buildings people and so on.

Overview of my first town. I'm not going to continue on it, but I really liked making different districts separated by roads in this way. The industrial district is on the far left & right close to the river, and then there's commercial districts to the lower left & right with the middle being all residential.

Amzin

Maybe been discussed already, but it looks like most of the custom buildings in the Steam workshop actually just get added to the pool of buildings for whatever type they're flagged as - they're not just "ploppables" like people were initially expecting. Once I get my achievements I'll be adding tons of models for sure.

Anyone try the hard mode mod?

I find the game has a tipping point where it becomes super easy to rake in cash and not worry about finances. But financial planning is one of my favourite components to a game like this.

Disasters and seasons should make for a great money managing gameplay feature.

Also, I wish homelessness, jails/high crime were more fleshed out, so I could spend more money. I just have way too much cash, and my taxes aren't even so high, since everyone pays them without complaint.

ZetaEpyon

Alright cool, maybe I just need a nice metro setup too. What do your bus stops look like zoomed in? Each of mine have about a thousand people waiting it seems, I've seen other peoples cities have had the same thing so I'm not sure if that means I have huge demand but not enough buses or just all stops look like that for some reason.

Varies, but yeah, a lot of them look like they have a ton of people standing around.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
The little town everybody (in a train) has to get through before reaching my city. I like this town but i think I will make it a factory-heavy town with all the cheaper labor and dirty jobs... already feel bad for the people living here!

Looks like the town I grew up in. I turned out OK :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom