• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone lay out pedestrian paths? Seems like they would be useful for parks... Can you connect parks to pedestrian paths? Are there even ped paths in this game?

kazriTJ.jpg

Something like this (Sim City 4)

Martian

Finally bought it! Can't wait for it to finish downloading so I can fail miserably in my first few towns.

Haven't felt this excited for a game since Banished

Klyka

Banned
Anyone lay out pedestrian paths? Seems like they would be useful for parks... Can you connect parks to pedestrian paths? Are there even ped paths in this game?

kazriTJ.jpg

There are. They do not count as roads and so you can't place stuff at them. Put they are amazing to let your people get around.

kudoboi

kazriTJ.jpg

there are ped paths but you can't connect parks to it sadly ._.

i went a little overboard with the overhead bridges for peds earlier today

kazriTJ.jpg

Yes pedestrian paths exist, and yes, they are super useful. @Klyka has been yelling about them for quite some time.

You'll find paved and gravel footpaths in the Decorations Tab. You just build them adjacent to places with sidewalks or walkways, and they'll automatically connect.

My rMBP, specifically the Iris 5100 integrated card absolutely wants to kill me for making it run this game, but gosh darn it nothings keeping me from playing this game! Not even this atrocious resolution!

I'm not going to get a lot of work done these next few weeks :

Jesus ha ha ha looks like a 10 year old game man. I hope it holds up with higher population counts!

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Why is my city losing power all over the place. I am producing twice as much as needed... o.o

Are you using wind turbines? If so, you need to use a powerline to connect them to your "network". I made this mistake at first and couldn't understand why power was failing when I was well above the required consumption.

Are you using wind turbines? If so, you need to use a powerline to connect them to your "network". I made this mistake at first and couldn't understand why power was failing when I was well above the required consumption.

My population is at 40k this problem just happened out of thin air. I just built a bunch of turbines bringing my power to twice what I nominally need...

Ruruja

Haven't seen it in this thread yet, and I haven't gotten that far in-game, but is there a way to remove the sewage going into the water or some replacement to unlock later on? It's fun at first, but almost every single screenshot in this thread has turd water.

Haven't seen it in this thread yet, and I haven't gotten that far in-game, but is there a way to remove the sewage going into the water or some replacement to unlock later on? It's fun at first, but almost every single screenshot in this thread has turd water.

Yes, there are water treatment plants that unlock later on that don't dump poop water.

New Hewey is coming along nicely.

Doesn't want to grow at the moment though. They don't seem to want new developments...

I wish there was an auto remove derelict/burnt down buildings.

Zaru

I've been playing my first city for about 8 hours now, kind of plateauing at 75,000 citizens.
My dead can't be carried off fast enough due to traffic issues that I can't resolve without basically razing my city down, causing a lot of buildings to be abandoned. I guess that's it for this first attempt.

Phreaker

Stayed up way too late playing this last night and now I'm dead at work. It's great, but day/night cycle is sorely missing to me.

I did like that too in SimCity, plus having rush hour and having it clear out was neat to see. You knew if you still had a bad traffic jam long after rush hour that you had some problems.

Rflagg

My rMBP, specifically the Iris 5100 integrated card absolutely wants to kill me for making it run this game, but gosh darn it nothings keeping me from playing this game! Not even this atrocious resolution!

I'm not going to get a lot of work done these next few weeks :\

Hey mind listing your other pc stats, as worry over how my outdated rig will handle this is the only thing keeping me for pulling the trigger.

My stuff

CPU: I5-750
Video Card: amd 5750 1 gig version
Ram 4 gigs

There is! I haven't tested it myself -- but try this mod:

Automatic Bulldoze

Sweeettt. Now we need an undo button.

Thanks for the info on paths. Unfortunate that you can't make paths connect directly to parks, because I would like to create Central Park.

Another reason I want paths is that I don't want a big road for every residential area... how did this work in SC4? I recall just pasting zones and having them build up without the need to be connected to a road

Klyka

Banned
Sweeettt. Now we need an undo button.

Thanks for the info on paths. Unfortunate that you can't make paths connect directly to parks, because I would like to create Central Park.

Another reason I want paths is that I don't want a big road for every residential area... how did this work in SC4? I recall just pasting zones and having them build up without the need to be connected to a road

If you want to make central park, make it in the asset editor :D a HUGE park plot with massive cost,maintenance and happiness

Odah

Banned
I'd buy the game if you can drop a atom bomb on your town or throw some meteorids on it.

I want to see the world burn

I'd just build entire metropoles to make them go *whoosh* with a single click. I want to poke and destroy

Hey mind listing your other pc stats, as worry over how my outdated rig will handle this is the only thing keeping me for pulling the trigger.

My stuff

CPU: I5-750
Video Card: amd 5750 1 gig version
Ram 4 gigs

Though it may get chunky with a big city, you should be fine with those specs. That retina Macbook is a dual core with integrated graphics, so I'm surprised it runs at all.

Worst case is you drop it down to low and drop the resolution below native. Your rig is still better than most laptops out there, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Okay, I fell way behind this OT since my last post. o_O I haven't been back to it today yet but a few things did annoy me yesterday.

The garbage issues are ridiculous, three landfills that I have to repeatedly empty, two incinerators in a city of ~10K that can't keep up. Also garbage trucks should travel as far as needed or at least not have as much of a limit as they seem to for range the only issues should be time to reach a place and traffic blocking them. Also have barely messed with adding trees because I don't want to click a hundred times to plant them.

Abandoned buildings should give you a reason as to why they were abandoned, even if many times you can figure it out like I did with my industrial district where places started closing because I had too much industry and not enough workers which I could see from the other places that were demanding more. But still I'm sure there's plenty of times where it won't be that obvious.

No pic of my city yet, it's a disaster but "Sucksville" is basically just for practice and to get me use to the scaling which I was having issues with when trying to make a map for several hours. Should also try binding stuff to my mouse besides the 1,2,3 keys being used for speed.

Hoping for some road tool updates along with the other complaints that have been mentioned.

You can also go up to 25 tiles through mods.

My city is slowly growing, but now that I have unlocked the bigger roads, I can't upgrade my current roads because I have special buildings (police, school etc...) on them... I'll have to plan that ahead of time for my next city.

I do like the fact that we can move plopped objects without destroying them.

Here's a pic of my 1st town:

Is anyone else using gravel roads for all the residential areas, or is it just me? lol

I was using gravel for residential (and farming) too but I decided that when I hit 10,000 it was time to upgrade.

Mr Swine

Banned

I'm not going to get a lot of work done these next few weeks :

My laptops HD4000 is much much worse than your Iris 5100 :p

Also this game is so much fun when you know the ins and outs :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hmm... I was wondering if an upcoming patch will allow emergency vehicles to cheat when it comes to getting to places... Sometimes the vehicles end up bunching up even if there are open lanes.

Likely due to how traffic is currently setup, here's a post someone made asking for help on how to unjam his traffic issue, with before and after gifs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyl...only_middle_lane_of_six_lane_street_used_bug/

Notice the ones turning to the right, they do so because they need to get in the left lane after the junction. The ones turning left probably need the right lane.

Consider looking at frequent destinations and if there's a bottleneck in your road layout.

51VEkoW.gif

So, after changing some one way roads to normal two lane roads around that junction and redesigning the access to my industrial area, it now looks like this:

YXs2qSC.gif

The road layout in this screenshot shows what caused the problem.

PwrZZSM.jpg

The cars only choose the "turn left" or "turn right" lane, when they plan to make another left or right turn at the very next(!) junction. As you can see, the blue lane is only used, if the car plans to turn left at the very next junction. All other cars choose the middle lane (turn left and turn right) to avoid getting in the turn left or right lane in the next street. This is a game design issue in my opinion. To solve the problem, I changed all one-way roads to normal two-way roads, to make them accessible from both sides.

Rflagg

Though it may get chunky with a big city, you should be fine with those specs. That retina Macbook is a dual core with integrated graphics, so I'm surprised it runs at all.

Worst case is you drop it down to low and drop the resolution below native. Your rig is still better than most laptops out there, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Big thanks as understanding pc stats is not my strong suit and I wanted to get at least another year out of this old rig if possible.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
http://www.twitch.tv/rentahamster

I'm streaming now and testing the number of workers per each type of commercial building and then recording the workers/cell in a spreadsheet. So far it looks like a 1x1 commercial building is the densest, with 2 workers per cell.

Likely due to how traffic is currently setup, here's a post someone made asking for help on how to unjam his traffic issue, with before and after gifs:

Yep. I feel like some people aren't following their citizens to see where and why they're taking the path that they take.

Jisgsaw

So, is there any wat to avoid people parking on some roads?
Actualy, does it even hinder the traffic, or is it only esthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom