• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seventy70

I keep getting messages that say there are deceased waiting for pickup. I have hospitals an cemeteries built. What do I need to do?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So, is there any wat to avoid people parking on some roads?
Actualy, does it even hinder the traffic, or is it only esthetic?

it doesn't necessarilly hinder traffic. They aren't taking up a lane, they're parking on the side of the street. For example, the 2 lane street has only two lanes, and people park on either side, but traffic still has space to go through.

Klyka

Banned
it doesn't necessarilly hinder traffic. They aren't taking up a lane, they're parking on the side of the street. For example, the 2 lane street has only two lanes, and people park on either side, but traffic still has space to go through.

if you get roads with trees/grass on the side, people can't park there. only the normal roads have parking spaces which it says in the description.

I keep getting messages that say there are deceased waiting for pickup. I have hospitals an cemeteries built. What do I need to do?

Make sure your hearses from the cemetery can actually get around your city

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really really think they need to make it so when you zoom out or in using the scroll wheel it zooms to where your mouse is. It's how all modern mapping tools work today. Why doesn't it work this way? It would make it so much easier to get around the map. Zoom out, move mouse, zoom in, forget about using the camera move keys. Also allow for horizontal scroll wheels to spin the camera as well. Maybe add a modifier key to change the scrolling to tilt instead of zoom. Just more mouse controls.

BTW, is this game even playable on a controller? I could see it being really awkward but would be curious. (I bet it doesn't even have controller support.)

Hmm... I was wondering if an upcoming patch will allow emergency vehicles to cheat when it comes to getting to places... Sometimes the vehicles end up bunching up even if there are open lanes.
Yeah. This is a big big oversight. In the real world emergency vehicles need to get through. Cars move over. Lanes empty up. Sure sometimes traffic still hurts, but there's usually a way through.

But in the game they don't even touch other empty lanes and people don't move out of the way. When a fire truck or ambulance (And please, a hearse since it replaces ambulances for picking up dead bodies) is coming everyone should pull over or slow down to let them through. Let's hope that's planned. Seems like a logical change.

sestrugen

Who goes next?

uULxPS8.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Keys are customizable. Page Up and Page Down by default create bridges, i.e. move pathways and roads up or down. I think there's like 5 levels of height or something.

You can be confused if you're a Mac user since most Mac keyboards these days don't have Page keys, but instead use Fn+arrows for Page/Home/End. (Not that you're necessarily a Mac user) I changed all my keys to suit my own play style on my MacBook.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Who goes next?

loW46yj.gif

Also, reposting since it ended up stuck at the bottom of the last page:

Here's a post someone made asking for help on how to unjam his traffic issue, with before and after gifs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyl...only_middle_lane_of_six_lane_street_used_bug/

Notice the ones turning to the right, they do so because they need to get in the left lane after the junction. The ones turning left probably need the right lane.

Consider looking at frequent destinations and if there's a bottleneck in your road layout.

51VEkoW.gif

So, after changing some one way roads to normal two lane roads around that junction and redesigning the access to my industrial area, it now looks like this:

YXs2qSC.gif

The road layout in this screenshot shows what caused the problem.

PwrZZSM.jpg

The cars only choose the "turn left" or "turn right" lane, when they plan to make another left or right turn at the very next(!) junction. As you can see, the blue lane is only used, if the car plans to turn left at the very next junction. All other cars choose the middle lane (turn left and turn right) to avoid getting in the turn left or right lane in the next street. This is a game design issue in my opinion. To solve the problem, I changed all one-way roads to normal two-way roads, to make them accessible from both sides.

Thanks for the help. The first was supposed to generate 1600W, but the one across there is 240 :(

Just dam it up and keep it shut off. That will force all the water through the bigger dam. Plus you'll get a cool canyon to build stuff in! Which you can flood later for the lulz!

Yeah. This is a big big oversight. In the real world emergency vehicles need to get through. Cars move over. Lanes empty up. Sure sometimes traffic still hurts, but there's usually a way through.

But in the game they don't even touch other empty lanes and people don't move out of the way. When a fire truck or ambulance (And please, a hearse since it replaces ambulances for picking up dead bodies) is coming everyone should pull over or slow down to let them through. Let's hope that's planned. Seems like a logical change.

Mmm hmm. It would be really nice if all of the following were implemented:

Emergency vehicles are allowed to take any lane for travelling, even if in the opposite direction.
Emergency vehicles can use any lane while turning.
Emergency vehicles magically turn any traffic lights in its path to green in advance to ensure that the traffic will flow by the time the vehicle gets there.
Emergency vehicles are allowed to make use of the parking space if there is a clear path, even if there are no open lanes.
Active emergency vehicles cause normal traffic to pull over.

And, of course, if all else fails, noclip.

It would be nice if there was an ordinance to ban street parking, do Cims still part on the street if they have a driveway?? I haven't paid that close attention. Also been meaning to put in a couple parking lots, should get on that next time.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Mmm hmm. It would be really nice if all of the following were implemented:

Emergency vehicles are allowed to take any lane for travelling, even if in the opposite direction.
Emergency vehicles can use any lane while turning.
Emergency vehicles magically turn any traffic lights in its path to green in advance to ensure that the traffic will flow by the time the vehicle gets there.
Emergency vehicles are allowed to make use of the parking space if there is a clear path, even if there are no open lanes.
Active emergency vehicles cause normal traffic to pull over.

And, of course, if all else fails, noclip.
Actually in the real world, emergency vehicles turn all traffic lights to red so everyone stops. But then again in the real world cars also move out of the way too. So yeah, a lot needs to be done. Hopefully they're already working on this. If not someone needs to suggest it.

Also, my zooming complaint. It's really annoying that it doesn't work like every other mapping program and website out there.

Linius

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but can my laptop run this game comfortable?

Core i74702MQ // GTX760M // 8GB RAM

259198116_640.jpg

Guys, is there any reason why my FPS is so low? I seem to have all the requirements, but it seems my graphics card is like a step lower than what is considered recommended, but is that really the reason? Everything else is perfectly fine and this game doesn't seem graphically demanding

Yea I have one of those I tried my best junctions too. It's a mess. Oh well that's organic growth for you.

So how do you make pretty pictures without the hud then?
Also my city is no longer growing at 55k :/ What to do?

Guys, is there any reason why my FPS is so low? I seem to have all the requirements, but it seems my graphics card is like a step lower than what is considered recommended, but is that really the reason? Everything else is perfectly fine and this game doesn't seem graphically demanding

What are your specs again?

Actually in the real world, emergency vehicles turn all traffic lights to red so everyone stops. But then again in the real world cars also move out of the way too. So yeah, a lot needs to be done. Hopefully they're already working on this. If not someone needs to suggest it.

Also, my zooming complaint. It's really annoying that it doesn't work like every other mapping program and website out there.

I suggested turning lights green instead just in case the traffic agents in the simulation is a bit...challenged when it comes to stopping.

If it's possible to model pull-over behaviour, they should turn the lights red - if not, though, green.

(Sometimes the most realistic action doesn't quite work on a simplification.)

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Thanks.

One last with hud.

ARRRRRGH
I have dozens of health clinics, hospitals, crematoriums. What is happening? I have lost 5k people in 15 minutes or so.

Are you able to check your traffic data view?

If yes and you see parts in deep red, try zooming in close to see the actual traffic.

If you see emergency vehicles stuck in a single lane, you got hit by a pathfinding shortcoming.

Otherwise, it's the general traffic situation. The game really punishes poor city planning.

(If the dead aren't taken care of within a time period, it spreads sickness and ruins land values, methinks)

DrSlek

In my first game I built my drainage pipe and water pump next to each other.
An hour later my entire city was violently I'll. I'd placed the water pump downstream from the drainage pipe. My city had been drinking raw sewage.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm so glad I watched a lot of LPs of this before getting it so I knew about the sewage thing before hand. I never would have thought of that beforehand as I've never played a game that simulated the water like that before.

I think the game would be nicer to plan around with if a lot of things aren't locked behind population barriers. It would be really nice if I was able to pull out highways, incinerators, and the like right from the get-go.

Klyka

Banned
I think the game would be nicer to plan around with if a lot of things aren't locked behind population barriers. It would be really nice if I was able to pull out highways, incinerators, and the like right from the get-go.

go into mods, enable the "all unlocked mod". there you go.

kabel

Just enable the already installed "everything unlocked"-mod.

edit: god damn, beaten like a Versus fan

You guys want a challenge?

Sim City Mode: How many sardines can you fit in a 2x2 km tile?

43k+One+Tile.png

(Image stolen from Reddit)

How is this city 42k only? I'm always exploring Google Maps and cities and then reading their population on Wikipedia, and this is 42k how? The population numbers seem really off to me... On the low side... But this is in nearly every pic I've seen here. Could just be me though...

Edit: I'm playing with the 'everything unlocked' mod too. There was no other possible way for me. I love the freedom of having everything unlocked and planning as I please... this way I'm starting with 750k of money. You guys get 750k as well playing without this mod?

Grief.exe

Why is my city losing power all over the place. I am producing twice as much as needed... o.o

If you have a second set of wind turbines off in the distance, you need to physically hook them up tobyour existing powergrid.

The info section will show you producing enough total power, but not enough for each grid.

How is this city 42k only? I'm always exploring Google Maps and cities and then reading their population on Wikipedia, and this is 42k how? The population numbers seem really off to me... On the low side... But this is in nearly every pic I've seen here. Could just be me though...

Agent simulation is expensive, so population counts are intentionally lower than expected. Also a hard limit of 1 million people for the same reason. Might be able to be nodded out.

bjaelke

They've purposely lowered the population number to allow for simulation of each individual citizen without pushing hardware requirements through the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom