• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised by the ammount of stuff in Steam's workshop already, pretty nice to see. I've been loving the game but I'm probably going to start a new city now, it's been going well but I made a few mistakes at the beginning that has made me search for some workarounds while expanding and while the city is thriving, it's not 100% to my liking.

Some shots:

3JSKw0B.jpg

Klyka

Banned
I think one of the funnier things in the game is how you putting down trees creates "forest" natural resource.
You can literally spend, say, 1000 credits to make a big foresty area and then plop down forest industry there and rake in the taxes XD

Grief.exe

ZUlUcXt.jpg

The only problem i have constantly is trash. I have i think 3 incinerators now. How do i get the dumps to burn this crap?

Either you have traffic problems, your dumps are full, or your budget isn't high enough.

I started having trash problems last night in my first city. I didn't notice until too late, but one of my dumps was completely full. I did increase the garbage budget significantly, which solved the problem in the short term until I found the actual reason.

Bleeether

I think you need a population of 16k to unlock it.

ah, so the only solution is building tons more dumps ? :(

Either you have traffic problems, your dumps are full, or your budget isn't high enough.

I started having trash problems last night in my first city. I didn't notice until too late, but one of my dumps was completely full. I did increase the garbage budget significantly, which solved the problem in the short term until I found the actual reason.

My problem is they get filled super fast, this was a screen before i hit 10k, and the dumps get filled way fast.

I just hope that I end up with a sustainable city of 250,000 people sooner or later. I'm at...um, 30,000, I think.

At least I'm now printing money and now have too much to spend. (The RCI bars are kind of unpredictable. Trips me up.)

Grief.exe

I accidentally placed a water pump next to my drains, thinking it was a drain.

2000 dead. :(

I'm so glad I watched a lot of LPs of this before getting it so I knew about the sewage thing before hand. I never would have thought of that beforehand as I've never played a game that simulated the water like that before.

There actually is a tool tip when you first open the water menu. There are so many tool tips it likely goes ignored.

ah, so the only solution is building tons more dumps ? :(

My problem is they get filled super fast, this was a screen before i hit 10k, and the dumps get filled way fast.

Dump into the ocean.

How is this city 42k only? I'm always exploring Google Maps and cities and then reading their population on Wikipedia, and this is 42k how? The population numbers seem really off to me... On the low side... But this is in nearly every pic I've seen here. Could just be me though...

Edit: I'm playing with the 'everything unlocked' mod too. There was no other possible way for me. I love the freedom of having everything unlocked and planning as I please... this way I'm starting with 750k of money. You guys get 750k as well playing without this mod?

You'd be surprised. 2x2km is 4km^2. NYC has a population density of about 11k/km^2. Or 44k population in 4km^2. That's not inaccurate in terms of density to area. The biggest problem I see is in the scale of the buildings, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

Yeah...I did the same and hoped that my city would not drown in trash when it would hit 16k.

I'm more concerned how you need to have several landfills or incinerators just to have decent coverage within a city tile. It's like the garbage trucks are very slow.

Or, for the matter, multiple coal power plants for the same city tile of low density buildings. It would make the game less challenging if they outright doubled the default capacities, but it might also wind up being too easy.

The game really doesn't let you make any mistakes at the very beginning. With no loan capability, screw up enough, and you're looking at a new game. Or a bailout... Do they exist?

They've purposely lowered the population number to allow for simulation of each individual citizen without pushing hardware requirements through the roof.

But this really throws me off... It really takes me out of the experience :/ Is it only me? Everything feels fake from the moment I can see with my own eyes how huge my city is and then only have like 70k people... And 1 million of hard cap for population is probably the only thing I really don't enjoy.

Oh well... I do hope it gets modded... Even if it's just a a tweak/cheat to the number that shows up on your HUD.

I'm loving everything else so far...

Hey mind listing your other pc stats, as worry over how my outdated rig will handle this is the only thing keeping me for pulling the trigger.

My stuff

CPU: I5-750
Video Card: amd 5750 1 gig version
Ram 4 gigs

I've got the late 2013 13 inch rMBP. i5-4258U, 8 gigs of ram, and the intel iris 5100

That retina Macbook is a dual core with integrated graphics, so I'm surprised it runs at all.

its nothing short of a miracle, but at least I can still run TF2 at 60 ;D

My laptops HD4000 is much much worse than your Iris 5100 :p

I'm gonna need screenshots of what you're working with ASAP :p

Qwell

I'm so glad I watched a lot of LPs of this before getting it so I knew about the sewage thing before hand. I never would have thought of that beforehand as I've never played a game that simulated the water like that before.
I should have watched more of them, or just read the tool tips I suppose. I lost like 30k people because I decided to "replace" all my sewage output with simply water treatment facilities. I placed the facilities, deleted the sewage output, noticed the water line wasn't connected to the water treatment which is all in one corner of my city. Chose to ignore the chirper that was going off like mad and when I finally fixed the pipes and scrolled up to see my city I had gone from about 36k to 8k population. I had over a million in the bank which I burned through trying to rebuild the population along with taking out a 250k loan.

cHinzo

And 1 million of hard cap for population is probably the only thing I really don't enjoy.

Oh well... I do hope it gets modded... Even if it's just a a tweak/cheat to the number that shows up on your HUD.

I'm loving everything else so far...
Even with 25 tiles u need like at least 40.000 people per tile to get to the hard cap. I doubt many people will reach it.

eot

Banned
You'd be surprised. 2x2km is 4km^2. NYC has a population density of about 11k/km^2. Or 44k population in 4km^2. That's not inaccurate in terms of density to area. The biggest problem I see is in the scale of the buildings, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

So NYC is 1m km^2 ?! Damn

Caayn

Ok guys, I'm stuck on an embarrassing point... I can't figure out how to make curved or free drawn roads. The buttons to do that don't seem to have any effect on how the road shapes.

Klyka

Banned
Ok guys, I'm stuck on an embarrassing point... I can't figure out how to make curved or free drawn roads. The buttons to do that don't seem to have any effect on how the road shapes.

you pull the straight road to the point you want the curve to begin, then click once and then it turns curved and you pull it to where you want it.

It's all multiple clicks. You have to set an anchor point and then an end point.

11.htm53.gif

This is just a random image with the right types of lines on it, but if that curve was your road, you would've clicked one of the end points to start the road, your second click would have been the top point on that triangle and then you would click the second end point.

So, I think until somethings done about the audio stuttering I'm out.
I love the game and love the sounds but the stuttering and drop outs are infuriating.

Apart from that it runs like a dream and I know I could just mute it and listen to my own music but that takes some of the charm away from it for me.

Raven77

It seems to me like it would be a really easy mod on the steam workshop to allow EMERGENCY VEHICLES extra leeway when navigating the city. But then again, I know nothing about modding games so...

My god the pace the mods are coming... there's double the buildings there were 6 hours ago... It's mostly parks and really low res-buildings... I'm hoping for some more med-high density buildings in the future... But man, and there are 400 maps! Yesterday there were like... I don't even... I can't keep up guys.... HELP

Klyka

Banned
So, I think until somethings done about the audio stuttering I'm out.
I love the game and love the sounds but the stuttering and drop outs are infuriating.

Apart from that it runs like a dream and I know I could just mute it and listen to my own music but that takes some of the charm away from it for me.

I'm sorry you're experiencing that mate. Hope it clears up for you.

It seems to me like it would be a really easy mod on the steam workshop to allow EMERGENCY VEHICLES extra leeway when navigating the city. But then again, I know nothing about modding games so...

Hopefully it isn't a mod that just makes the vehicles ignore traffic.

Traffic simulation is hard, apparently.

I'm sorry you're experiencing that mate. Hope it clears up for you.

Aye, it pains me to stop playing it, and at first I thought it was my PC, but knowing others have suffered it leads me to beleive its something they can hopefully fix.

I can be patient, lots of games out there to play at the moment!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Doncha just hate it when you get preoccupied messing around with your highway system, and don't realize you knocked out the powerlines that was powering your expansion city.

<.<

Hello there giant block of abandoned buildings.

Chariot

God, I hate these negative things I have to do for some of the buildings. I think I collect a bit of money and then do the Kabouter and wipe the whole city to start from scratch. I fell like I hit the ceiling of how much this city can grow, shortly after I reached 100k pop.

My god the pace the mods are coming... there's double the buildings there were 6 hours ago... It's mostly parks and really low res-buildings... I'm hoping for some more med-high density buildings in the future... But man, and there are 400 maps! Yesterday there were like... I don't even... I can't keep up guys.... HELP

With how easy it is for any joe blow to throw a few random pieces of crap together in the asset editor and publish it, curating the best stuff is going to be challenging. Anyone want to start a Cities Skylines mod curation site? ;D

kabel

Intel Core i5 3570K CPU @ 3.40 GHz
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Intel HD Graphics 4000

I have to play on everything low, and even then, it's not as smooth.

What's wrong? I should be able to run this fine, right?

Are you sure, that you use your AMD card and not the integrated Intel one?

Noaloha

I'm playing with the 'everything unlocked' mod too. There was no other possible way for me. I love the freedom of having everything unlocked and planning as I please... this way I'm starting with 750k of money. You guys get 750k as well playing without this mod?
The reason you start with all that cash is due to how the mod works. Instead of ignoring the "unlocked buildings for hitting this milestone" system, it's simply applying all of those city promotion rewards at once when it starts the new game. All of those progress milestones include a chunk of cash alongside the buildings, services, policies, etc. The 750k you're seeing is all of those progression cash rewards being delivered in one big lump sum.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When you use the curve tool you click where you want the center hinge point of the arc to be, then click a second time when you get the curve you want.

I never used the freeform one though but it looks to be much simpler version of the curves but without the first click or control over how the curve starts.

Play around.

Klyka

Banned
Intel Core i5 3570K CPU @ 3.40 GHz
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Intel HD Graphics 4000

I have to play on everything low, and even then, it's not as smooth.

What's wrong? I should be able to run this fine, right?

Wait, is your game using your integrated graphics? Why do you even have that enabled? Turn that shit off.

The reason you start with all that cash is due to how the mod works. Instead of ignoring the "unlocked buildings for hitting this milestone" system, it's simply applying all of those city promotion rewards at once when it starts the new game. All of those progress milestones include a chunk of cash alongside the buildings, services, policies, etc. The 750k you're seeing is all of those progression cash rewards being delivered in one big lump sum.

Interesting. I definitely have a bunch of cash, not sure it compensates or over compensates that I'm left on my own, able to do whatever, including ruining everything with some simple decisions.

With how easy it is for any joe blow to throw a few random pieces of crap together in the asset editor and publish it, curating the best stuff is going to be challenging. Anyone want to start a Cities Skylines mod curation site? ;D

That's what I was thinking as well... It's going to be very hard... And there are categories for Residencial/Office/Commercial and Low/med/High but everyone is labeling them just as 'buildings'...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've played 11 hours so far. I'm (re)watching all of LGR's SimCity reviews (2013, 2013 revisited, Retrospective) for a break. Man, SimCity was terrible and now is only slightly less terrible. But you know what? We needed SimCity 2013 to come out because we never would have gotten Skylines if it hadn't. Maxis could have just abandoned the franchise and who knows what city simulations would be like without its influence, both good and bad.

More residential. More people of the education level the industry wants/needs.

My timber industry is demanding more workers. It is next to an educated residential area. 2/13 workers are overeducated, while the remaining 11 are non existent, threatening the building to become abandoned.

So I create more residential areas with low education. But I dont think they are going to work there. So I built more offices for my educated people, and am hoping to see lower residential people move in on timber.

Im not sure if my timber district is successful though. I keep asking: is $5/m^2 land value good? I feel like I could just make more offices, but I like the scenic look of timber.

There is no chart that shows district profits or even maintenance costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom