• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

Just experienced my first bit of flooding. Part of a neighborhood near the coast that had been just fine.

Do I just tear down that area and build farther away? Not sure of my options.

RP912

Banned
It blows my mind at the fact that 13 people made a game of this magnitude. It's crazy.

Anywho,

I'm still polishing up my city and planning on a Simcity'est type of grid city for one of my pieces of land.

I had problems too but restarted it bus routes. Just place a starting point anywhere. Then click around for stops, eventually connecting back to your initial starting point to close the loop.

The bus depots store buses, but don't act as necessary points where buses return to (unlike something like landfills where trucks need to go back to).

Buses stick to routes.

Not sure about Metro.

Metro also has routes, but you have to create the underground tunnels first before connecting the stations in a route. And metro tunnels follow basically the same rules as roads, so if you want to cross under a river or lake, you need to have enough room for the tunnel to angle down.

kabel

Just experienced my first bit of flooding. Part of a neighborhood near the coast that had been just fine.

Show your dominance by polluting the river with poo.

/jk

Are dams not an option for that area? Is it to flat?

louiedog

Do what they do in real life. Rebuild and act surprised in 20 years when it happens again.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!

I plugged into the AMD Graphics card and OH WOW EVERYTHING IS SO SMOOTH! Running everything on highest settings and it's still super smooth

Wow, all I had to do was plug it in!

I will name my districts after those of you who helped :')

Lol. A friend help me built it.

I must have pulled the plug when trying to connect to my TV and put it in the Intel one

Oh man, I am loving this game so much more now that everything is so smooth

I WAS PLAYING IN 20 FPS ON LOWEST SETTINGS.

Woohoo! Have fun man!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I seem to be stuck at 34,000 and have no RCI demand at all. I am trying to move zones around but when I swap zones (Delete Industrial and Residential zones from different places and switch them around) no one wants to move in quickly even though you'd think the companies I just closed would want to reopen elsewhere and the Cims would want to get new jobs there.

I really want to start over fresh but am afraid to get to the same point. Any tips?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Game certainly looks CPU bound,

Of note the game speed does pull more CPU as I expected, city of 2k at full speed versus regular speed boosts cpu usage by 12%.

For reference running a Core I-7 920 at 3.8Ghz around 40% of each of the 4 cores, evenly distributed.

Kabouter

Game certainly looks CPU bound,

Of note the game speed does pull more CPU as I expected, city of 2k at full speed versus regular speed boosts cpu usage by 12%.

For reference running a Core I-7 920 at 3.8Ghz around 40% of each of the 4 cores, evenly distributed.

I'm averaging >90% CPU load at 100k citizens on full speed (i5 4670k)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm averaging >90% CPU load at 100k citizens on full speed (i5 4670k)

Yeah, the good news is in 10 years with 8+ cores being standard, they should tear through this game. Certainly future proof, and makes the developer choice of allowing all tiles to be used through mods a wise one.

Labrys

I have no idea what I'm doing half the time with this. I got to the point where I could build a dam/hydro plant, so I did, and then I went massively into debt and was basically SOL

CM5z1bq.jpg

Some pictures of my city.

My first city is a complete mess but i'm going try to keep it functional as long as I can. Only 19k people and they are already complaining about garbage and dead people in their homes.
It's really difficult to build functional road network, bottlenecks everywhere..

Cptkrush

Has anyone had any luck launching this game on Mac? I seem to just get a black box that closes after a second. I have overlay disabled too.

It seems like one way streets for residents in this game absolutely destroys path finding of EMTs. Every section I have tried to have a well though out network of one way streets, corpses have been piling up like crazy. Seems like ambulances and hearses come from the other side of town regardless of how close a clinic or crematorium is if a house is located on a one way street. Guess I'll just avoid those streets for now.

Other than that, I really love this game. Most addicting game I have played in ages. I am already 17 hours deep, and have to force myself to go quit now so I can get some sleep. Managing traffic is actually fun in this game. Haven't had that same feeling since Transport Tycoon.

Sober

Hopefully it isn't a mod that just makes the vehicles ignore traffic.

Traffic simulation is hard, apparently.

Considering the way the agents find a path is to just calculate and go, yes, that's one limitation. It'd probably take a bunch of CPU power away to have agents recalculate mid-commute to pick a suboptimal route that might not be clogged with traffic. The only weird pathfinding thing I think I've noticed is when at intersections certain lanes become turn-only lanes, so despite the fact the road ahead doesn't change (doesn't merge away into another, etc.) it bothers me that there are lanes being unused at certain times because for pathfinding purposes I think they are devoted to being turning lanes only, which is not the case in real life.

Labrys

Is there a sort of like starters guide to roads and such? I think I'm doing everything else okay but traffic is being annoying and buildings are burning down and trash trucks can't get to where they need to go

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Has anyone had any luck launching this game on Mac? I seem to just get a black box that closes after a second. I have overlay disabled too.
FIX YOUR PERMISSIONS!

Seriously. Unity has always fucked up for me on OS X for a long time and I never knew why until I Googled one of the console messages.

Fixing my permissions made it work. I was shocked. Try it! (Open Disk Utility in Utilities and fix the permissions for your main disk.)

Looking at your first pick: how is your traffic?
Looks like you only connect one side of the highway on each interchange, I don't realy see how that can work out... ?

There's only one or two areas I'm concerned with and they're streets within the cities, because everyone likes to bustle through one part. I add more exits if there's traffic on highways.

Suikoguy

Considering the way the agents find a path is to just calculate and go, yes, that's one limitation. It'd probably take a bunch of CPU power away to have agents recalculate mid-commute to pick a suboptimal route that might not be clogged with traffic. The only weird pathfinding thing I think I've noticed is when at intersections certain lanes become turn-only lanes, so despite the fact the road ahead doesn't change (doesn't merge away into another, etc.) it bothers me that there are lanes being unused at certain times because for pathfinding purposes I think they are devoted to being turning lanes only, which is not the case in real life.

Yes, I'm hoping that they can add some randomization to lane selection during the initial path-finding.

Cptkrush

FIX YOUR PERMISSIONS!

Seriously. Unity has always fucked up for me on OS X for a long time and I never knew why until I Googled one of the console messages.

Fixing my permissions made it work. I was shocked. Try it! (Open Disk Utility in Utilities and fix the permissions for your main disk.)

Actually, I fixed it by forcing a Steam Update. I guess Steam doesn't auto update

Anyone else experience this? some of my Farm buildings are invisible, they work fine, vehicles go in and out and I can click on them, but I can't see them and the Yellow zoning stays.
I've tried demolishing them but they're just replaced with another Invisible building.
Only affecting Agriculture industry, every other building is fine.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Anyone else experience this? some of my Farm buildings are invisible, they work fine, vehicles go in and out and I can click on them, but I can't see them and the Yellow zoning stays.
I've tried demolishing them but they're just replaced with another Invisible building.

aren't they cornfields?

Amiibro

I have a MacBook Pro 2014 mid year. i5 2.6 dc with 8 gigs of ram and Intel iris 5100.

Should I even try to buy this. I expect low settings but would it be playable? Anyone tried on something close to that

Stat!

Any reason why my game runs laggy? I feel like nothing is snappy and its just hell. Im playing everything on low or medium.

Intel i5-4690k @ 3.5Ghz
Geforce gtx 760
8 gb of ram

Ive verified game cache as well. Nothing running in the background.

This game is great!

Question: Anti-aliasing barely works in-game, what does everyone use for these jaggies?

Also, does chirpy ever become useful in the game? For every useful tweet there's the 10,000th repeat about "omg my vaycay was extended someone water plants xoxoxo". I've already disabled it but I'd like to know if there's any point I should turn it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom