• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeSo

Banned
So, I think until somethings done about the audio stuttering I'm out.
I love the game and love the sounds but the stuttering and drop outs are infuriating.

Apart from that it runs like a dream and I know I could just mute it and listen to my own music but that takes some of the charm away from it for me.
I'm getting the audio stutter too, it's pretty irritating.

-Eddman-

What the hell! I was doing my first city yesterday, everything went great and now that I'm launching the game again my save file is gone!

Is this a glitch or bug? Anyone with the same issue? Am I screwed? I even had the steamcloud option turned on when saving.

StayDead

I hate how quickly time passes playing this. I keep saving and think, right I'm quitting. Then 20 minutes later I'm still playing and it's 12:30AM haha.

51FFEFECA5742888550CDF434CA4A1C154263B0B

My "third" town about an hour and a half ago when I went to first quit.

Klyka

Banned
Added a new little residential area called "Worker's Ville" to my city cause my industrial is shouting for workers. I figured they should have it nice!

I am being WAY to detail obsessed with my city, haha. It'll never grow to the sizes some of you have.

dejay

Banned
I love the room you get with this game. Things still aren't to scale, but they're a lot closer and you can afford to dedicate room to things rather than trying to shoehorn in everything.

I recently expanded to a different area and started mining ore. I figured I'd get some demand on my first cargo station, which I planted there, so I gave it a very long, dedicated one way road. What I expected was a lot of trucks filled with ore dropping off stuff. What I didn't expect was delivery vehicles driving all the way from my other industrial area (top centre in the picture below) to come all the way over and drop off stuff as well. Wiener truck convoys!

I call the metro entrances in my main industrial area Morlock holes when they spew out hordes of worker creatures. Mind you, there's a lot less blue-collar workers these days.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Does the use of any mod or asset disable steam achievements?

Mods, yes.

Assets? I'm not sure. According to the save it shows achievements still activated, but I've not gotten one in awhile and I have some assets installed and active.
Edit: Looking at the achievements, I probably did not get any yet other then the two initial.

Edit 2: Just confirmed Assets do not turn off Achievements.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man I gotta take some pics of my second city. I took a map that has a nice little island in the middle of a river and I decided to do everything I can to make it as upper class as I can. It's a beautiful piece of land with two tennis courts!

Giever

Is there any way to set landfills and cemeteries to auto-unload once they've filled up? I mean, at least from my perspective that's what I always do once they hit 100%, so it seems like needless busy-work to have to keep on top of them and make sure you get them unloading as soon as they hit full capacity.

I wouldn't mind some feedback/advice on my road/bus layouts
Been trying (and mostly succeeding) to optimise my traffic since this screenshot I posted yesterday:

My old bus layout :
There was a lot wrong with it:

-Both blue and orange lines went through the industry area causing unneeded extra traffic (assuming the AI will properly swap buslines to get to work if I added a bus stop to transfer at before the industry zone.

-My bus depot was in the middle of my city on the boulevard , despite none of my bus lines even crossing past it, it caused a ton of extra traffic at the central intersection

I moved my bus station outside the city to where the farmer bus route ends , and made one of the 2 inner city to work bus routes end at the bus station (assuming the ai will switch busses there to get to either the farm or factories)

New bus layout, with the new bus station location and a little turning road added around the bus station to help one bus line turn without clogging up the intersection just ahead to do it. ( http://abload.de/img/cities2015-03-1201-31lvbom.png )

Question: anyone know wtf this is?
The blue busline is no longer connected in a full circle after extending the road and connecting it to the highway exit road, yet it still seems to work.
Not sure if I should make a little cul de sac for the bus to turn on or what.

Non bus stuff:
I added a roundabout at the chokepoint in my industry zone, which seems to have cleared up traffic there nicely

Added a landfill near my city expansion (fishtown) to remove the garbage truck traffic from going through my industry zone AND city entrance roundabout to pick up garbage
fishtown:
Added a bus line in fishtown that connects all the houses to the central shopping street (but doesn't leave fishtown because the last thing I want is more traffic going into the chokepoint at the entrance to the expansion)

Added exit roads for trucks from both the industry zone and the woodcutting area that feeds into the highway exit out of town, to avoid them going through the industry zone intersections to get out of town

Added a one way entry road into both industry lanes in fishtown for heavy traffic, I also forbade heavy traffic from using the entry intersection (the mini district called 'traffic BAD)
Trucks still seem to use that street just fine to leave fishtown but they no longer use it to enter, so that's good.

My current traffic situation, it's been greatly alleviated in smokey town so I can expand that area now with quite a lot more industry for when my main city grows.

Fishtown only having one entry road AND having 2 industry lanes in it was a mistake, industry generates way too much traffic, so I'll have to stop growing it and probably cant't turn it into high density commercial/residential later on, but that's fine it can be a low density suburb.
Lesson learned for next time.

I'm planning on expanding on the current tile as much as I can without ruining traffic, going to make a savegame before I upgrade to high density commercial and residential along the main avenue. If it's a failure I'll just reload the save and start expanding north of the highway on the second tile (already replaced the highway roundabout with a 4 point one for access) and just leave my first tile as low density suburbs while trying to make the second tile into my city center + tourism area.
I've put so much effort and changes into this first city I don't really want to start over yet while I'm still learning the ropes, each new tile can be like an evolution of the learning curve contained in one city.

Most of my efficienty improvements and fixes are great but all the traffic problems were caused by poor main road design , hopefully I get better at the latter, for now the efficiency things are fun to try n learn.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well, my city is stuck at zero RCI, traffic is a mess, I have $4.5M and 30,000 citizens, but when I try to remodel things, nothing grows and I just lose people.

So I guess I have to start over again.

So much fun!!!

Seriously though, is there a way to figure out why RCI will just bottom out and nothing will advance anymore? My Tweets aren't telling me anything important except that the dead bodies are piling up because my hearses can't get through the traffic.

I really need to learn how to fix traffic. My main problem is getting people from the highway into the city without causing a traffic jam out the wazoo. Time to start over and try to do it better again.

Shahadan

Seriously though, is there a way to figure out why RCI will just bottom out and nothing will advance anymore? My Tweets aren't telling me anything important except that the dead bodies are piling up because my hearses can't get through the traffic.

Well that's probably a small reason why no one wants to build anything in your city :p

You could lower taxes for a time to attract people or industries.

Cse

Banned
This game can be relentless...at times I wish it was somewhat more descriptive by actually telling me the cause of the problem so I can manage it. My city was doing great, hit about 35,000 people, and then, suddenly, everyone started getting sick.

As you can see in the image, my water intake pumps are far upstream of my sewage drainage, so the plumbing system wasn't corrupted. Other than that, I have no idea what could cause such instantaneous, systemic health issues.

ljmKLo7.jpg

Any reason why my game runs laggy? I feel like nothing is snappy and its just hell. Im playing everything on low or medium.

Intel i5-4690k @ 3.5Ghz
Geforce gtx 760
8 gb of ram

Ive verified game cache as well. Nothing running in the background.

Same specs as you aspect for i got a Geforce gtx 750 , and getting around 45 fps when zoom in street level at highest settings.

BlackJace

This game can be relentless...at times I wish it was somewhat more descriptive by actually telling me the cause of the problem so I can manage it. My city was doing great, hit about 35,000 people, and then, suddenly, everyone started getting sick.

As you can see in the image, my water intake pumps are far upstream of my sewage drainage, so the plumbing system wasn't corrupted. Other than that, I have no idea what could cause such instantaneous, systemic health issues.

ljmKLo7.jpg

That plague.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
For those of you with larger cities, what's your split between one-way and two-way roads?

Well, my city is stuck at zero RCI, traffic is a mess, I have $4.5M and 30,000 citizens, but when I try to remodel things, nothing grows and I just lose people.

So much fun!!!

I really need to learn how to fix traffic. My main problem is getting people from the highway into the city without causing a traffic jam out the wazoo. Time to start over and try to do it better again.

Messing with taxes and/or policies didn't have an effect?

I tend to use one-way for only moving from the highway to the main roads. (And when the highway is unavailable, I use then as a stand-in until I can upgrade.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well that's probably a small reason why no one wants to build anything in your city :p

You could lower taxes for a time to attract people or industries.
Messing with taxes and/or policies didn't have an effect?
Taxes is the only thing I didn't try. I'll try that first.

And I disabled all policies after I went overboard and didn't realize until I went into the -$20,000 range and had to get bailed out. (This was way back before I got to $4.5M.)

Anony

i'm really interested in the game, but the screenshots look pretty terrible
low textures, low polygon, and aliasing everywhere

any comparisons shots or shots on everything on high?

Cse

Banned
i'm really interested in the game, but the screenshots look pretty terrible
low textures, low polygon, and aliasing everywhere

any comparisons shots or shots on everything on high?

If you are judging it from my screenshot I posted above, don't, as I'm playing on medium/low for everything with no anti-aliasing at all.

So I'm a very grid-oriented utilitarian type of city builder. I like my people to be as happy and advanced as possible, but I enjoy having the over-all layout to be very organized.

Is there a way to snap roads to the X/Y axis of the map?

I've learned that (many, maybe not all of) the inbound roads when you start a map are SLIGHTLY off-set, meaning that planting a highway off of each and going straight into the distance will cause them to eventually merge or split apart.

So I'm a very grid-oriented utilitarian type of city builder. I like my people to be as happy and advanced as possible, but I enjoy having the over-all layout to be very organized.

Is there a way to snap roads to the X/Y axis of the map?

I've learned that (many, maybe not all of) the inbound roads when you start a map are SLIGHTLY off-set, meaning that planting a highway off of each and going straight into the distance will cause them to eventually merge or split apart.

Don't think so for roads that do not begin from a snap point

I think it doesn't even exist at all.

HelloMeow

There actually is a tool tip when you first open the water menu. There are so many tool tips it likely goes ignored.

The thing is, I knew the difference. I just didn't pay attention. Just now I had another mass extinction event. Some of my factories polluted the ground near the pumps.

bargeparty

Damn traffic problems. I would love to try and "progress" through but I think the only way to do it properly is start with everything unlocked and really plan it out. Trying to do things as you go causes too many growing pains... that... and I suck at traffic flow.

deoee

Holy shit I love the dynamics of the game.

Yesterday I build a big ass oil-district on an oil-field. It was giving me so much moneyz, I could invest into a harbour and a freeway for delivering goods.
There was a constant traffic jam at the harbors. But then IT happened.

Everything stopped. There was no traffic anymore, ships did not arrive, complete halt.
What happened?

I used up all the oil. So now I've got a problem right?
What to do with all the zones?

Haha just like in real life I remanaged the whole thing. By crushing my oil industry and transforming it to normal industry I suddenly could free up massive space in my first industry district next to my downtown. I still have to think about what to build up there. So much space free now!

Furthermore I had to shut off my power plants due to this freeing up so I just decided to shut off all dirty stuff and went full solar and wind energy.

really loved that moment and I did not even talk about the whole shift in traffic this new situation has caused :D

Any idea on why Im getting terrible lag?

"Skylines Poor FPS Performance Fix
If you are a laptop user and you are getting low frame rates and experiencing poor performance, you should make sure that your game is being run using the dedicated GPU instead of integrated GPU.

You can change settings using control panel of your GPU (Nvidia/AMD).

And if you are desktop user, you need to make sure that your GPU drivers are up to date. Some users have also reported that changing the compatibility mode for Cities Skylines fixes the issue."

So much fun!!!

Dude, the RCI meter being low is a good thing.

If they are high, it meets there is a demand. If it's low, it means the demand is met

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Lowering taxes seems to have slightly added some citizens, (I made it to 36,000) but my RCI is still bottomed out. Nothing will build if I zone it. All I get is a tiny pixel sliver of maybe blue or yellow but adding them doesn't do anything except maybe slowly add a building or two after a few weeks.

And most of my traffic would be fine if everyone didn't drive in the same goddamned lane even when they aren't getting ready to turn. Come on, use the other lanes to pass! Give cars different speeds. Let some of them change their route if they see traffic ahead. Let's hope a traffic update is coming.

If they are high, it meets there is a demand. If it's low, it means the demand is met
I'm trying to get more people! But nothing builds when I add zones. So I'm stuck at a flatlined citizen count that has only slightly gone up and has once again flatlined.

Klyka

Banned

I think it is a problem for him because if there is no demand for anything it means his city is "done". So he doesn't have a goal the game is giving him.

Mods, yes.

Assets? I'm not sure. According to the save it shows achievements still activated, but I've not gotten one in awhile and I have some assets installed and active.
Edit: Looking at the achievements, I probably did not get any yet other then the two initial.

Edit 2: Just confirmed Assets do not turn off Achievements.

Thanks! Time to use those mega parks!

Has anyone just whole and torn down like all of your industrial to rebuild the area?

My industrial zone has become a mess and I want to just relay everything, but I'm afraid I'll cause a spiral of doom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom