• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone with experience tell me the main differences in gameplay/meta-strategy with this and Sim City 4?

It's been a long time since I played SC4, but I recall it being more difficult and having more financial micromanagement. I may be mistaken here, but I did immensely enjoy managing the budget. This game doesn't seem to have the same micromanagement for money, and it's souring me on advancing any further for the sake of growing a city.

senahorse

Has anyone just whole and torn down like all of your industrial to rebuild the area?

My industrial zone has become a mess and I want to just relay everything, but I'm afraid I'll cause a spiral of doom.

Just do it section by section, I have done this a couple of times with different zones. I just demolish one strip at time and build the new one on top of it, just so there isn't too much of a hit to the economy.

Last night I put in a dam, and up until then I had my sewage and fresh water pipes pretty close to each other, no problems. I put the dam in and had to leave the room for 5 minutes. I came back and the dam had meant the poop didn't flow downstream anymore and it backed up to the fresh water pumps. The entire city was flashing with sick icons followed quickly by death and then abandoned buildings, fire was ravaging through the place, crime rampant and before long it was basically Detroit. I went from 14,000 people down to 5000 in a matter of minutes. I was also taking a hit of $5000 each turn, and was closely reaching bankruptcy. I was twice told the city was about declare bankruptcy and I could get a bailout but wouldn't get achievements...nah screw that. So I jacked up everyone's taxes and bulldozed half the city, literally half. Death symbol, abandoned, hell even some of the sick...BULLDOZED. I cleaned the rot out (including putting the sewer spill AFTER the dam) and within half an hour I went from 5000 inhabitants to 20K, negative $5000 income to positive $5000, general unrest to pure joy.

I love my city and I love this game :D

Effect

Every time I launch the game the CD key pops up with a message saying the game will ask for it. Never does. Is this happening with anyone else?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
How do I delete saves?

And can pedestrians walk across roads or do I need to elevate the walkways across roads?

Content Manager or something like that on the main menu, should be a save tab on one of those.

I believe pedestrians will only walk across crosswalks, so if there's not one nearby you may want to make an elevated walkway if you need something more direct.

Enjoying the game atm but I feel I'll have the same problem with it that I have with all city building games where after "finishing" my first I won't feel any incentive to go back for a long time. Hope I'm wrong though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is there anyway of removing a full landfill site?

I saw an "empty landfill" button on the landfills earlier, but never tried it. Dunno if that empties out of city or just transfers garbage to another empty landfill or sends it to an incinerator.

Farm's only work on dirt roads?

No.

BTW: My commercial areas dont have enough goods to sell.

Does this mean I need low industrial zones (the pollution causing kind)?

I got rid of all my low end industrial and have two districts for timber and farm, but that gets exported or delivered around a small radius (like farm crops going to local commercial places).

But at the same time, it's just a few commercial buildings with nothing to sell..where do goods come from? I dont know if Im even importing anything

Map of Westeros from Game of Thrones
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406462141
8iCxucL.jpg

Every time I launch the game the CD key pops up with a message saying the game will ask for it. Never does. Is this happening with anyone else?

Steam likes to do that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just ignore it, tell it to not show it again because even if you need it in the future (unlikely) you can right click the game and press "View CD key".

I am wondering this as well. Do the incineration sites remove this if you have an excess of them? And will the garbage prefer the incineration site over the landfill?

Yes:

You need to empty it first. Build an incinerator next to it.

Then, get your landfill to load out. Problem is, this takes up garbage trucks, and your citizens will have garbage pile up

So you need an extra incinerator just to transfer your landfill garbage.

I did this, and then deleted the landfill, running only on incinerators

Content Manager or something like that on the main menu, should be a save tab on one of those.

I believe pedestrians will only walk across crosswalks, so if there's not one nearby you may want to make an elevated walkway if you need something more direct.
And crosswalks only occur if there are traffic lights?

AU Tiger

How long has it been declining for?
I've seen many streams where the population goes down for no real reason, but soon picks up again.

I didn't see it happening very long but the number was high enough (well into the hundreds) that I quickly paused it, realized I had been playing 4 hours straight and it was 1 am and closed out the game.

I grabbed the auto bulldozer mod so maybe that knocking out all the abandoned buildings will help.

I'll take a closer look at the info graphs tomorrow. I'm going to get down on some ori and the blind forest tonight.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I am wondering this as well. Do the incineration sites remove this if you have an excess of them? And will the garbage prefer the incineration site over the landfill?

I saw an "empty landfill" button on the landfills earlier, but never tried it. Dunno if that empties out of city or just transfers garbage to another empty landfill or sends it to an incinerator.
If you want to move or delete a landfill, you need to empty it first. Get info on it and click Empty. It will move trash to another landfill or an incinerator if you have one. If you do not have one to move it to I don't think anything will happen so build a new one where you want it, empty the first then delete the second, or move it as well.

It takes a while to empty depending on how many trucks you have and how much traffic there is between the landfills.

Same with cemeteries and crematoriums. They work exactly the same. When a cemetery gets full you can empty it into a crematorium and I assume the ashes get distributed to the next of kin or whatever.

So, I've been having some success with double (and triple) roundabouts; that is, one inside the other, going in opposite directions. If you want to avoid traffic lights it gets trickier, though, since you can't have your intra-roundabout connectors in the same place as your extra-roundabout connections (4 way intersections always have traffic lights, from what I've seen). Also, it only seems to work with 2 lane roads, since 4 lane roads, again, default to traffic lights. Still trying to figure out a way around that, beyond just trying to dilute traffic overall.

For extra lulz, build a big one as the "center" of a residential district with commercial zoning in the middle, connected to the outside with an overpass.

Anyway, I stuck a pair of examples into the Workshop.

senahorse

Yes:

You need to empty it first. Build an incinerator next to it.

Then, get your landfill to load out. Problem is, this takes up garbage trucks, and your citizens will have garbage pile up

So you need an extra incinerator just to transfer your landfill garbage.

I did this, and then deleted the landfill, running only on incinerators

Thanks, was hoping that would be the case, I made the mistake of putting a landfill in the middle of the city. Something fishy about the landfill site, after the poop epidemic there was a body there to pickup, but it was already full.

CTLance

That's steam for ya.

You are being presented with the key so that you can head over to paradox's forum and use it to prove that you have the game by inputting it into a form. You get a badge or something for that busywork. That's all there is to it.

Anyone playing on a Macbook Pro? Wondering how my 2014 model i5 2.9Ghz, 8GB Ram, Iris would do?

Regular Iris or Iris Pro? (I usually base notebook cards off this site. The 5100, and the 5200, the 5200 blows the 5100 out of the water.)

I'm on the regular iris and this is what you'll be looking at if you want relatively stable framerates:

That said, totally worth the glorious sound of my fans going full-speed :p

IlludiumQ36

Bit the bullet and bought it tonite. Looks like it will offer a great deal of depth and creativity. Managed to get a little village going with streets full of seweage.

One thing though - it doesn't use a mouse(cursor)-centered zoom? Is this the 20th century or am I just missing an option? The zoom is screen-centered, so zooming to a specific position requires both panning and zoom controls simultaneously. Yuck.

Only spent four hours today with it, Sucksville just made it over 16K and I've started redoing some roads, rezoning and straightening things up, trying to cutdown on some busy intersections, also made a pretty dumb cargo depot track layout but again don't really care at this point since I can fix it later, I've had over a million in surplus for a while now, it seems like you need to build garbage/corpse incinerators 1:1 when you get them to not run into much of the way of problems with overflow, at least in my experience once I did that things have been a lot more manageable.

The mod that auto deletes abandoned and burnt down buildings is a GOD send.

I would love this if mods didn't disable achievements.

It did until I disabled it, also registered with Paradox's site and put the code in.

Stat!

Windows or Mac?
Windows 8, 64 bit.

Does your mobo have an onboard GPU?

Nope,I don't think so. I have Nvidia GTX 760. Im a bit of a noob when it comes to PC.
"Skylines Poor FPS Performance Fix
If you are a laptop user and you are getting low frame rates and experiencing poor performance, you should make sure that your game is being run using the dedicated GPU instead of integrated GPU.

You can change settings using control panel of your GPU (Nvidia/AMD).

And if you are desktop user, you need to make sure that your GPU drivers are up to date. Some users have also reported that changing the compatibility mode for Cities Skylines fixes the issue."

Im a desktop user. I'll try the stuff below.

Following up on what foolishfellow said, here is an image guide:

Alternatively, if you were dumb like me, you may not have plugged in your monitor cable to your GPU

Trying this right now. I think I have it plugged into the GPU

EDIT: Oh god. When I clicked Nivida Control Panel from Windows 8 menu, it said Im not currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU. This may sound incredibly stupid but my PC recognizes my card, and I think my DVI cable is plugged into my DVI. I have the GeForce experience thing but not sure about hte card.

Mayjaplaya

Neo Member
Can anyone with experience tell me the main differences in gameplay/meta-strategy with this and Sim City 4?

It's been a long time since I played SC4, but I recall it being more difficult and having more financial micromanagement. I may be mistaken here, but I did immensely enjoy managing the budget. This game doesn't seem to have the same micromanagement for money, and it's souring me on advancing any further for the sake of growing a city.
This has been posted two or three times here: http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyli...ow_to_avoid_some_of_the_most_common_mistakes/

tl;dr relearn how to set up road networks, public transit, and be aware you'll actually have to transport the dead to the cemetery, or later, the crematorium.

I also loved the financial micromanagement in SC4, and I'm disappointed this game is so dumbed down in that aspect. I'm only at 5,500 pop right now and my high school usage percentage is unbalanced compared to my elementary schools'. But I can't adjust their funding individually like in SC4 so I can't optimize my spending. I'm also disappointed in the lack of utility degradation. Utility buildings don't age and deteriorate like they did in SC4, so things like those wind power plants are very much fire-and-forget.

Was wondering how this would perform on my iMac.

3.2 GHz Intel i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 755M 1024 MB GDDR5

I really want to play this game but don't want to spend 30$ if its going to chug along.

Alternatively, if you were dumb like me, you may not have plugged in your monitor cable to your GPU

I built a computer for my buddy who never had a sweet gaming machine before. I covered up all of the video ports on the motherboard to make sure he didn't accidentally plug his monitor into them. I asked him how he was enjoying gaming and he was like "it's really good, there is sometimes a small bit of lag, but it's way better than what I'm used to" which sounded kinda suspect, but hey, my computer lags slightly in games too sometimes, it's a hard knock life.

I go to his house a few months later and of course he's been using his sandy bridge graphics this entire time. :\

As you can see in the image, my water intake pumps are far upstream of my sewage drainage, so the plumbing system wasn't corrupted.

I feel so dumb. I was wondering how I could dump sewage without polluting my water source. I ended up dumping sewage anyhere then just using water towers. I forgot that water flow is also simulated. Awesome.

dejay

Banned
Holy shit I love the dynamics of the game.

Yesterday I build a big ass oil-district on an oil-field. It was giving me so much moneyz, I could invest into a harbour and a freeway for delivering goods.
There was a constant traffic jam at the harbors. But then IT happened.

Everything stopped. There was no traffic anymore, ships did not arrive, complete halt.
What happened?

I used up all the oil. So now I've got a problem right?
What to do with all the zones?

Haha just like in real life I remanaged the whole thing. By crushing my oil industry and transforming it to normal industry I suddenly could free up massive space in my first industry district next to my downtown. I still have to think about what to build up there. So much space free now!

Furthermore I had to shut off my power plants due to this freeing up so I just decided to shut off all dirty stuff and went full solar and wind energy.

really loved that moment and I did not even talk about the whole shift in traffic this new situation has caused :D

Yep - I'm in the middle of a mining boom with ore that really spawns a load of heavy vehicles, and I have a busy freight terminal. Semi-trailers (tractor-trailers??) really do clog up a grid system. I've got bypasses, elevated feeder roads, one-ways and a big roundabout, as well as a subway bringing my workers in and a bus distribution system to get them around. I love the problem solving involved.

This land is pretty much water frontage, so when the ore runs out it might be an Olympic park or something.

The Argus

I can't seem to get upscaling to work with my 290x. I select the resolution I want in game but then it flips back to the native resolution and asks if I want to keep the changes after I hit apply. The game's AA isn't doing me much.

This has been posted two or three times here: http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyli...ow_to_avoid_some_of_the_most_common_mistakes/

tl;dr relearn how to set up road networks, public transit, and be aware you'll actually have to transport the dead to the cemetery, or later, the crematorium.

I also loved the financial micromanagement in SC4, and I'm disappointed this game is so dumbed down in that aspect. I'm only at 5,500 pop right now and my high school usage percentage is unbalanced compared to my elementary schools'. But I can't adjust their funding individually like in SC4 so I can't optimize my spending. I'm also disappointed in the lack of utility degradation. Utility buildings don't age and deteriorate like they did in SC4, so things like those wind power plants are very much fire-and-forget.

See, I recall SC4 being more strategic too. Right now, I'm just building for the sake of building. I have not fallen trap to particularly faulty roads, or mass death... I have 30K population and $1.2 Million

I have nothing to really purchase... I need some challenge and am not getting it.

Is there any possibility we see them flesh out gameplay content in patches? Or can we expect deeper mods for better management gameplay?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well, my city is stuck at zero RCI, traffic is a mess, I have $4.5M and 30,000 citizens, but when I try to remodel things, nothing grows and I just lose people.
Make sure they have all services and parks. Get the buildings to level up and that attracts more people. Go through all your info tabs, every road should be as green as you can make it, and all the buildings should be blue.

For those of you with larger cities, what's your split between one-way and two-way roads?

only about 10% ish one way. Mostly for onramps and stuff, or for my industry where their cycle is just pretty much one giant circle anyway.

scotttheduck

Neo Member
I've only played a few hours so far. One thing my friend and I were trying to work out:

Does terrain have any effect on land value/property, value/type? For example, do coastal or lake-side residential areas attract high-income cims? What about hills/mountains with views?

Er, I have a good production of electricity but some of my powerlines are down, though connected, and Im lining them up next to the buildings, but a major part of my area is losing power. Help??

83778E3A269E127A1083A258F9F57EB7820AD969

the garbage men are not picking up garbage at the school and hospital but everywhere else is fine. need help.

Does the indicator go away after a few weeks? Sometimes garbage trucks have problems reaching to everyone in a short enough timeframe.

The chirper feels kind of like noise when transient problems are being magnified.

senahorse

Er, I have a good production of electricity but some of my powerlines are down, though connected, and Im lining them up next to the buildings, but a major part of my area is losing power. Help??

I found when it goes in the yellow you start having partial blackouts, and you need to keep it in the green to avoid this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom