• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.O.P

Banned
Half of my (first) big city are commercial offices and the request for work isn't getting any lower wth, it's taking more place than houses :/

kudoboi

Unlocking offices really helps a lot, no longer do I need dirty industry that also needs a billion trucks to function just to grow my city.

soon there will be lesser demand for industrial buildings and more demand for offices. I think i had to replace 1/2 of the industrial lands with offices due to the lack of workers.

Crispy75

soon there will be lesser demand for industrial buildings and more demand for offices. I think i had to replace 1/2 of the industrial lands with offices due to the lack of workers.

Does the land pollution fade away over time? Or does it not matter if you build offices on polluted land?

strata8

Hmm... Maybe I should restart my city.

Should I immediately switch to offices only for any future developments once I unlock the office zoning?

Commercial areas require Goods which are produced by generic industry, so not necessarily. Quill18 had this problem with the Hadron Collider, which educates everyone to university level. His industry shut down (no workers) and his commercial areas had to import everything, and started to fail because he didn't have enough external connections.

Commercial areas require Goods which are produced by generic industry, so not necessarily. Quill18 had this problem with the Hadron Collider, which educates everyone to university level. His industry shut down (no workers) and his commercial areas had to import everything, and started to fail because he didn't have enough external connections.

OK.

Man, the game feels really punishing, then.

When starting out with a city and just the starting tile in normal mode, What would be the idea location for industry?

Klyka

Banned
OK.

When starting out with a city and just the starting tile in normal mode, What would be the idea location for industry?

Depends on your map and what kind of industry you want, really.
All industries need great road connections though, especially the ones leading into and out of your industrial zone.

Depends on your map and what kind of industry you want, really.
All industries need great road connections though, especially the ones leading into and out of your industrial zone.

Mmm hmm.

I find the RCI bars to be rather unpredictable, so I'm going to ask this, too - what would be the ideal R:C:I building ratio for low density/industry?

Chariot

OK.

I think it's quite forgiving. But I also had to bridge the wait on a worthy city builder with Banished.

You can always raise new districs of industry. The game is quite generous in giving you money and time to fix your problems.

Pinktaco

How are people streaming this? For whatever reason OBS only show a black screen with sound. It's the only game where I have this problem. It also happen when I'm just previewing.

I've googled around and it is not because I'm on a laptop with 2 GPUs.

spiritfox

Some cool filters in the Workshop already.
A48C103DEBE17EEF8A84F13C77CA1FE8DB0EA7F7
FBE175A3B91578ED8CDA7EDCF408427302D64928

Klyka

Banned
How are people streaming this? For whatever reason OBS only show a black screen with sound. It's the only game where I have this problem. It also happen when I'm just previewing.

Use window capture instead of game capture

JambiBum

I had the power issue that someone mentioned earlier where you have enough power produced but it can't reach the outskirts. I couldn't figure out why certain parts weren't getting power and then I remembered the same thing happening in SC and I added couple of windmills and it fixed it.

I'm pretty sure that I expanded my city too quickly because of the demand for stuff rising and I need to slow down. I'm managing ok but I'm not as comfortable as I would like to be. I have some nice sections set up and some not so nice ones. I'm alright with it for it being my first real city though.

Some cool filters in the Workshop already.

I'm a bit curious - do third-party colour filters disable achievements? I sure could use something that boosts saturation and adds warmth to the scene. (The tropical override filter that came with the game fixes the coldness, but everything looks quite desaturated.)

spiritfox

I'm a bit curious - do third-party colour filters disable achievements? I sure could use something that boosts saturation and adds warmth to the scene. (The tropical override filter that came with the game fixes the coldness, but everything looks quite desaturated.)

I've installed filters since the beginning and I have gotten achievements. It shouldn't affect achievements anyway, since it does not affect gameplay in any way.

Noaloha

It might have something to do with the game's fullscreen mode actually being fullscreen-windowed.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I wonder what EA think about this game's success...

EA couldn't care less, they are only concerned with profit centers for their shareholders and CSL aint' one of them.

However, I wonder what Will Wright thinks of the game? I'm sure he's played it by now seeing how much of a city builder enthusiast he is. I'd be very interested to hear his take on Cities Skylines.

xBladeM6x

I have this issue with massive ground pollution in one spot in my residential area, and they keep getting sick. How do I get rid of the pollution there? (I've already removed the cause of it)

Nymerio

Just bought this, installing now.

Good thing steam is having trouble with checkout, I wouldn't have seen the vip deal on gmg otherwise.

I have this issue with massive ground pollution in one spot in my residential area, and they keep getting sick. How do I get rid of the pollution there? (I've already removed the cause of it)

Dunno, have you tried planting trees there? Definitely stop people building on top of it for now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The problem I see with the way garbage is handled in this game is that garbage trucks get stuck in traffic. In the real world, they go out early in the morning before the traffic starts and can do their business without getting stuck.

They really need to put in a day/night cycle where traffic dies down at night and garbage trucks can do their duty in the early hours.

The problem I see with the way garbage is handled in this game is that garbage trucks get stuck in traffic. In the real world, they go out early in the morning before the traffic starts and can do their business without getting stuck.

They really need to put in a day/night cycle where traffic dies down at night and garbage trucks can do their duty in the early hours.

They drive around all day here. They might start early but they sure don't finish early.

Ainsz

At 53k pop right now. It stalled a bit at ~40k but slowly kept chugging along as buildings upgraded and now demand is up for RCI. Working on bridging the gap between suburbs and core. I have found a great way to deal with the masses of industrial trucks. Seems the best idea is just not to zone industrial in massive chucks.

Are you reimagining London?

Weird, I haven't had any problems with any services getting stuck in traffic beyond handful of burnt buildings. Maybe I haven't hit big enough populations yet. I'll get pics, give me a few secs.

Empty circles are the initial locations of my landfills. No incinerator on the blue side before it moved up there, on the blackside they were added to where the dumps happened to be in. The two in the "middle" of industrial hell are there in order to spread the trucks a bit, atleast I hope it does that. Same idea as my previous city of 40k, spread them out a little in different parts of the town/blocks/districts/you name it.

Klyka

Banned
btw, burnt down buildings is often not a case of your firetrucks being stuck in traffic.
the smaller firestations can only handle one emergency at a time according to the tooltips only the bigger firestation "responds to multiple emergencies at once".

So if you have 3 fires at the same time but only two small fire stations, they will go to one of the fires each with their trucks and only respond to the third fire once one of them finishes with theirs first.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They drive around all day here. They might start early but they sure don't finish early.
At least starting early lets them pick up the stuff before the traffic hits. Who cares if they get stuck after all the houses are hit? At least then the trash is taken.

Traffic is my kryptonite in this game. I need to know how to make good traffic avoiding roads. It sucks that you start with so little and by the time you get the highway tools and other roads, you already have a fairly big town set down.

Are there any good tutorials on a perfect traffic system in this game? It seems a lot of the time it's due to the bug where everyone lines up in one lane and no one passes anyone. I could put off ramps at every single street and all the cars would still line up to get off at the first one.

Edit: Also, there needs to be an option (Not a mod) to auto-delete burned down buildings. Abandoned buildings, whatever, but since burned down buildings don't rebuild, it's just really more of a chore.

xBladeM6x

Someone really needs to make a mod that auto-empties garbage dumps. Though I'm wondering if incinerators are a replacement for garbage dumps, or if you need to use them both?

On a side note, messing with taxes and district policies can make or break your city. I went from stagnant population, to a huge boom by making drugs legal, having smart-homes, and stuff like that. Also, I have a an 11% tax on everything, and I've made one million dollars in the last hour, with a population of 30k. Insane.

Klyka

Banned
Someone really needs to make a mod that auto-empties garbage dumps. Though I'm wondering if incinerators are a replacement for garbage dumps, or if you need to use them both?

I'd use them both. Garbage dumps have more trucks than incinerators I think and you can empty dumps into incinerators getting rid of the trash completely.

Jintor

Okay after figuring out how highways actually work (I think) I think I have a better idea about town management

time to start another city!

Although if anyone has a roads guide I would appreciate that too

jiiikoo

Banned
Anyone know how the road upgrading works? I haven't figured out how you upgrade them. Some roads I can upgrade but most just stay red with the upgrade tool.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Is there no 'undo' function for building roads and what not? Quite costly early game to fix roads if you screw up.

Is there no 'undo' function for building roads and what not? Quite costly early game to fix roads if you screw up.

Nope, but the quicksave & quickload feature at the start is handy as hell when money is very precious. I still use it a lot when I make big mistakes laying stuff out, even at 15K pop and over $1 million in the bank.

I'd use them both. Garbage dumps have more trucks than incinerators I think and you can empty dumps into incinerators getting rid of the trash completely.

I like to keep the dumps around even after I get the incinerators, gives you a "safety net" if the incinerators can't handle all the trash because of traffic.

valouris

Anyone know how the road upgrading works? I haven't figured out how you upgrade them. Some roads I can upgrade but most just stay red with the upgrade tool.

You have to select the road you want to upgrade to as if you were building it. Then use the upgrade tool to click on the road segment you want to upgrade.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You have to select the road you want to upgrade to as if you were building it. Then use the upgrade tool to click on the road segment you want to upgrade.

Only works for same style roads -> multidirectional cant be upgraded to one-directional

I need to learn how to deal with traffic better. All the industry I have is killing my intersections.

Not zoning near the in/out routes of the industry should help, yes you "lose" some room but you get to spread the traffic before they start to block the road by servicing their buildings.

Hmm... Maybe I should restart my city.

I find this game to be pretty damn forgiving when it comes to completely retooling your city. At one point I think I tore down like 80% of my industry (while paused) so I could completely redesign the infrastructure. Once I was done I just rezoned, unpaused, and my city barely seemed to skip a beat.

Should I immediately switch to offices only for any future developments once I unlock the office zoning?

I think that mostly depends on your demographics. Educated people work in offices, uneducated factories.

glaurung

Tinkered some more with my beginner city last night. Got up to 15K citizens I think.

Used a basic grid with maximum efficiency object placement. Green zones on the left, industry on the right, commercial as a separator in the middle.

My industrial buildings get abandoned a lot. Can I figure out a reason for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom