• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Just before I went to bed last night my entire commercial district shut down. I saw it coming as they were complaining about a lack of educated workers. I built a university, hopefully that starts pumping out educated workers soon.

I have noticed that every time I create an intersection there's a chance that in addition to demolishing any buildings in the way, the game sometimes also partially dezones nearby buildings and ends up getting the buildings deleted soon afterwards and the buildings themselves rebuild.

Bug or as intended?

My industrial buildings get abandoned a lot. Can I figure out a reason for this?

Click on the building - or surrounding buildings.

I was having some of my industry going abandoned too. I zoned almost all of it on the other side of the highway, but I think that created the problem of worker access - and therefore a low worker pool. I created a couple bus lines over there which I think helped.

Industry also needs lots of immediate highway access.

Shaldome

Tinkered some more with my beginner city last night. Got up to 15K citizens I think.

Used a basic grid with maximum efficiency object placement. Green zones on the left, industry on the right, commercial as a separator in the middle.

My industrial buildings get abandoned a lot. Can I figure out a reason for this?

If you click on an abandoned building, you can hover over the icon and it will tell you the reason why it is abandoned.

Tinkered some more with my beginner city last night. Got up to 15K citizens I think.

Used a basic grid with maximum efficiency object placement. Green zones on the left, industry on the right, commercial as a separator in the middle.

You can click the building and hover over the house icon next to the "Abandoned!" text if you didn't happen to be around to see what they were complaining about.

martino

I'm not a big fan of their water physics with hydroelectric powerplant. (price/generated power on the map i tested them is really bad even if 3/4 big water flow arrow)

I find this game to be pretty damn forgiving when it comes to completely retooling your city. At one point I think I tore down like 80% of my industry (while paused) so I could completely redesign the infrastructure. Once I was done I just rezoned, unpaused, and my city barely seemed to skip a beat.

I tore down my entire industry section last night and rebuilt it (using alternative save), but it caused all the growth in my city to stall out. I'm going to start again tonight, but try to do it more gradually.

I'm not a big fan of their water physics with hydroelectric powerplant. (price/generated power on the map i tested them is really bad even if 3/4 big water flow arrow)

I don't ever have any intention of building one of those damn things. Coal -> oil -> nuclear yeah baby.

I don't ever have any intention of building one of those damn things. Coal -> oil -> nuclear yeah baby.

Speaking of power plants I was wondering if the capacities are realistic or not. It feels really strange to know that you need multiple coal power plants to get even a single tile to power on.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
So I got bored of my 65k city and trashed it to get unique buildings. Very happy that they carry on to new cities
Got my new one at about 7k right now, but for the life of me I cannot do the 50% crime rate challenge. I don't even have a police station and it refuses to creep up over 20%

Yeah, I got super confused about this. Max power generated says 2000MW, which sounds great, but then I attempt to span one of my rivers with what looks like decent water flow and it says maaaaybe 64MW. Might as well use offshore turbines at that point, they're way cheaper. I must be missing something.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Yeah Im not a fan of hydro much either
I built one on a side river that had good flow and it outputted at around 200mw for a while, then completely stopped the flow of water and became redundant

Mik2121

God, I'm becoming richer and richer. Right now I get +22,000 per week. I keep building things that I don't even need, just because I can afford it!

I'm really into city building games and have been eagerly awaiting a good one. I'd love to try this game but I'm afraid my PC won't be able to run it at all well.

My system specs are

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MH
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

I'd like to know if anyone with similar system specs to mine has tried to run the game and how was the performance?

Speaking of power plants I was wondering if the capacities are realistic or not. It feels really strange to know that you need multiple coal power plants to get even a single tile to power on.

Well, it's complicated, but yeah, you do need a surprisingly large number of power plants to provide power to a fairly small number of people. The game simplifies things, though; normally, you need 3 sets of power plants: regular state, near peak, full peak. They're sorted in rising costs to operate and power output; a lot of peak plants aren't even runnable at all over long periods, you start running into issues with maintenance.

So... yeah. It's simplified, but multiple plants for each tile sounds right.

Why would you use anything other than offshore wind?

Wind's a really poor investment when you're just starting out. Offshore wind is great when you unlock it, and can afford it, but until then coal all the way.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So I got bored of my 65k city and trashed it to get unique buildings. Very happy that they carry on to new cities
Got my new one at about 7k right now, but for the life of me I cannot do the 50% crime rate challenge. I don't even have a police station and it refuses to creep up over 20%

The crime rate in my city is 31% and I have a police station lol

Getting a 500+ MW dam is quite nice, if you can find a place for it without flooding the neighbourhood or it becoming ~50 MW instead of 200+ MW for some reason.

The crime rate in my city is 31% and I have a police station lol

I went for the courthouse monument/unique building and had to shut down pretty much everything to get it go past 50% and in "normal" play it stays under 7% even if I forget to plant those things.

- edit -
Don't shut the water/electrity down though.

Kinthalis

Banned
Anyone else spend a ton fo time going through the workshop and adding new spawnable buildings?

So much fun. But I've already started my city over twice. Have to buckle down and dela with issues as they come or I'll never get a big city!

Effect

Just a few images of my city. Finally started to expand out of the initial area. Had some trouble trying to to the existing highway though so the on and off ramps are kind of a mess.

kau72HB.jpg

kPBjOjZ.jpg

vn1rUog.jpg

There has to be a better way of doing this and not have this look like a roller coaster ride.

I kind of want Grove Park and Poplar Hills to be high density residential and commercial districts once I have access to those. Will likely keep the rest the same for this area. The connection to the highway on the right needs to be fixed though as traffic can be slow there but seems okay elsewhere with only a few minor redish areas. Did end up moving my sewage drains to the newly open area on the right since the river is flowing in that direction.

Wishing at times I can zoom down and walk or drive around the streets themselves. I need to find some better music though. I like what is in the game but after awhile it becomes annoying. So something similar would be nice. Regular everyday music would be worse however.

bjaelke

Nothing wrong with the offshore turbines. They should be 'overpowered'.
figured out my sick problem. Probably shouldn't have put my sewage valve next to my fresh water filter pump thing.

It's all about placing it on the side that's upstream from the sewage valve.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Anyone else spend a ton fo time going through the workshop and adding new spawnable buildings?

So much fun. But I've already started my city over twice. Have to buckle down and dela with issues as they come or I'll never get a big city!

I've not downloaded a single thing from the workshop yet. I want to, but once I get in game I just start playing and before I know it it's 1 AM and I've missed supper...

I perused the workshop on the steam website yesterday over lunch here at work, it was up to 1830 mods already. I'm afraid to look at what it is today!

This game is glorious in every way so far. Sure I have small nitpicks but they are hardly anything compared to how much is done right.

Teletraan1

Banned

It depends on the map/topography. On my map the river had steep banks and I was only going to get 5mw each no matter where I placed them. Held out with coal-oil until I unlocked solar. Pollution goes away fast enough.

Wind's a really poor investment when you're just starting out. Offshore wind is great when you unlock it, and can afford it, but until then coal all the way.

Eh, I started with normal wind turbines and it didn't take very long to unlock offshore. Maybe if you try to grow very fast it becomes untenable, but I generally take things slow in city builders.

Apparently crime follows me in city builders. My rates in SC2013 were hilariously high. This is what I want though lol. I will create megacity 1.

I must be doing something that makes city planners blush as I seem to never be able to get the crime rate above 5% under normal circumstances with proper play.

Pinktaco

maybe it's just me, maybe I'm just not into these type of games, but I somehow managed to feel kinda bored within 7 hours of playing the game.

With my first city I have managed a population of 20000 and I have 500k in the bank and with various policies I'm earning between 1-2000C.
The game might get more complicated in terms of traffic and covering everything with services, but so far it's been no effort at all.

I basically feel like I'm just putting down RCI followed by supporting structures. I'm not quite liking how - if I want to make an agriculture area that all I have to do is change the district. Not only that, but the specialized buildings cannot reach any level.

It just comes off as kinda hallow to "specialize" in agriculture, when all there is to it is to zone in industry and change the destrict to the appropriate district.

I got to say that while SimCity 2013 is broken as hell and was a disaster at launch I still enjoyed it more than I'm doing now with Cities. I enjoyed how you could upgrade structures, research things from the university and somehow I just liked the turist aspect more.

Maybe I'm just not understanding Cities quite enough to fully enjoy it. For instance I feel like the unique buildings do nothing. I think I have 3-4 of them and they're more of a tourist attraction than serving a proper function. Again, maybe I just don't understand how they work.

I think buttom line it was too easy to get where I am now and I feel like I'm just zoning in RCI and sometimes I brush on a different color (district) to change things up.

I'll obviously continue, but I'm not quite as hooked as I had hoped. :)

Matt_

Lower your land value (demolish all your parks and cause some noise pollution) , leave abandoned buildings up instead of demolishing them, let some buildings burn out and leave the rubble. Your crime should go up.

oh thanks
Ive currently got a shit ton of parks so its probably that

Crispy75

I'm experimenting with a commuter town. Lots of residential, a little commercial, local schools and a railway link into downtown and central metro station. Working quite well :)

My only pet peeve about this game is upgrading streets. I don't want to have to demolish every single zone just to upgrade the streets better. Unless there's a mod for this, it's extremely irritating.

Razyl

Press release from paradox

Cities: Skylines sells more within 24 hours than any previous game in the Paradox Catalogue!

STOCKHOLM – March 12, 2015 – Paradox Interactive and Colossal Order, currently gaming’s proudest parents, have today revealed that Cities: Skylines, the critically and commercially acclaimed city simulation game for PC, Mac and Linux, has sold an incredible 250,000 copies, including pre-orders, in its first 24 hours on sale, shattering sales records for every previous game in the Paradox catalogue released within the same period of time.

Commenting on the success of Cities: Skylines, CEO of Paradox Interactive Fredrik Wester said, “We would like to offer our deepest and heartfelt thanks to the community for their passionate support and to let them know that we are committed to supporting this wonderful game for years to come, in the same way that we have for our Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis communities. We knew that we had a great game on our hands and so to be able to continue to provide fans of the game with a multitude of new content for it going forward is fantastic.”

Wester then went on to talk about their relationship with developer Colossal Order. “Our congratulations and thanks must also go to developer Colossal Order for making what is being widely described as the new benchmark of the city building genre. We have forged a strong partnership with them over a number of years through the release of Cities in Motion and Cities in Motion 2, and I am happy to see such a talented team now being widely applauded for their unmatched passion and skill.”

CEO of Colossal Order Mariina Hallikainen commented, "We at Colossal Order are absolutely thrilled to see so many players enjoying Cities: Skylines and that the Steam Workshop is filling up with amazing content from the modders. We are feeling very happy and proud and can't wait to continue working on Cities: Skylines together with the community!"

They deserve it. Great game!

Corgi

Banned
Nothing wrong with the offshore turbines. They should be 'overpowered'.
It's all about placing it on the side that's upstream from the sewage valve.

That's what I did but seems like there is some fluid physics going on so the area around the pipe that is polluted seems to be spreading a bit? Game is crazy in the details.

Press release from paradox

They deserve it. Great game!

Awesome.

Is there a good list somewhere of the unique building / monument requirements? I found one on the cities skylines "wiki" but it's not very deep. I'm just at work and want to see how bad I have to mess up my city when I get home.

swoon

The off-shore wind turbines I find hard to use because it doesn't graph the wind patterns off the water, nor does it factor the irl boost of sea/water breezes anyway.

i am enjoying the game, building design/repetition aside. I think it's fairly obvious it's more interested in moving people than other aspects of city planning.

studyguy

Bought this last night after hearing a friend rave about it in mumble all night. It's a lot of fun. Was having a great time till I unlocked a dam and it was like, oh okay lets give this a sh.... aaaand now my city is underwater!

Atlantis ho

Make sure to pause when undertaking any major retooling. I made the mistake of keeping it on accelerated time while blasting a highway through my industrial area and cutting my main power connection...65,000 people abandoned my city.

studyguy

Also enjoy the fact that stopping time, fixing a ton of infrastructure then restarting doesn't cause a billion issues. The city seems to adjust incredibly well on the fly even if you make massive changes. Seems super forgiving. The only thing that bothers me is making a metro line right now since my cityscape is a bit complex and it seems to insist on making gigantic routes unless I mark every single turn.

Finding out that sewage flowed down river was fun too the first time... when I set it at the top of the stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom