• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing that bothers me is making a metro line right now since my cityscape is a bit complex and it seems to insist on making gigantic routes unless I mark every single turn.

I was having that issue at first as well, but then determined it had more to do with user error. Make note of your one-ways, and make sure you put the cursor (dot) on the right side of the road. Once I started doing that I can place bus stops blocks away - sometimes farther - from each other, right where I want them.

Congrats to the CO crew well deserved.

Struggled to hit 60k, but realized I'd been spending too much time tweaking traffic :p

New shots:

kw22plj.png

5JbsOXJ.png

pcV0pkK.png

studyguy

I was having that issue at first as well, but then determined it had more to do with user error. Make note of your one-ways, and make sure you put the cursor (dot) on the right side of the road. Once I started doing that I can place bus stops blocks away - sometimes farther - from each other, right where I want them.

My infrastructure is disgusting. It's only my first city so I'm not too worried at the moment. My next one will probably be better.

Is it just me and my sixth sense, or why my city keeps filling up with dead? I have cemetary usage at 10% and bodyburning on green.. And still everywhere dead bodies..

Also I'm starting to feel that the scales for Good-Green and Bad-Red are way too broad.. If you ever get to red in anything you are way waaaay waaaay too late to turn things around.

The lack of detail between green-ok yellow screwed, added with the lack of details in budget screen.. Makes micro-managing your budget for services really hard..

Mik2121

I found some patches of oil in my land. How should I go about getting those resources?

Edit: I have tons of money (over 2million now) and see the oil can get me some pollution. I'm trying to keep my city as clean as possible. If I want to get other resources like using the Forest Industry, how should I set this up?
Just paint the district and then put some industrial areas?

Is it just me and my sixth sense, or why my city keeps filling up with dead? I have cemetary usage at 10% and bodyburning on green.. And still everywhere dead bodies..

Well, a certain level of dead bodies is perfectly normal. Are your buildings going abandoned because of it? If so, might be a pathfinding issue for the hearses.

Jintor

If anyone can give tips on traffic management, specifically with highways and industry, I'd appreciate it. Stuff's getting clogged at the offramps.

RP912

Banned
Got my city up to 50k last night and it feels good.

On another note, how do you upload pictures from the city on here. I tried to do it but my link broke :/.

Well, a certain level of dead bodies is perfectly normal. Are your buildings going abandoned because of it? If so, might be a pathfinding issue for the hearses.

Abandoned...This was exactly what I was afraid. My city center is a nightmare of traffic atm.. *sigh* there are a lot people who will have to move and lose their homes due to some road work, unless I come up with some wizardry.. It's tough job, but someone's gotta do it..

I found some patches of oil in my land. How should I go about getting those resources?

Edit: I have tons of money (over 2million now) and see the oil can get me some pollution. I'm trying to keep my city as clean as possible. If I want to get other resources like using the Forest Industry, how should I set this up?
Just paint the district and then put some industrial areas?

Paint a district and in that tool window you can specific what industry type you want to use that area.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Paint a district and in that tool window you can specific what industry type you want to use that area.

So many people confused about that I hope they just make it so that the industry types end up being district brushes of their own so you can just fill the industry in rather than having to do it in two steps.

I just saw this on reddit and thought a lot of people in this thread might be interested as I've seen quite a few people mention RCI just flatlining.

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyli...our_population_starts_crashing_for_no_reason/

If you experience a population crash even if everyone's needs are fulfilled you may want to check out the population stats (the man icon in the info view). Look at the demographics and see the age distribution. You may find that the majority of you citizens are seniors.
This happens because you may have had a major population expansion in the past and they are all reaching the end of their life as an age group at the same time.
Nothing is actually wrong with your city so you can choose to ride it out or put in new residential to attract new immigrants.

Cse

Banned
I'm really into city building games and have been eagerly awaiting a good one. I'd love to try this game but I'm afraid my PC won't be able to run it at all well.

My system specs are

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MH
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

I'd like to know if anyone with similar system specs to mine has tried to run the game and how was the performance?

I have a Core 2 Quad Q9500 @ 2.5 Ghz, a GTX 650 Ti, and 8 GB of DDR2 RAM. As mentioned above, I run the game at 1080p on medium settings, and get about 30 frames per second. When I have a large city, and I zoom or pan around quickly, the frame rate drops for a bit into the 20s, but for a game like this, it's not a big deal.

At 74k I just cannot get my city to grow by more than a few dozen at the moment. There is no demand for new developments et al, everyone seems very happy. Not sure what I can do to spur some growth.

My one traffic complaint is how the game handles right on red. I have some roads where one ways have an intersection that is two way, and when the two way is offloading into the one way traffic stops on the right lane of the one way because the roads are divided into "straight or right".

Wish their was a way to manually set "right only" on parts of a road.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
At least starting early lets them pick up the stuff before the traffic hits. Who cares if they get stuck after all the houses are hit? At least then the trash is taken.

Traffic is my kryptonite in this game. I need to know how to make good traffic avoiding roads. It sucks that you start with so little and by the time you get the highway tools and other roads, you already have a fairly big town set down.

Are there any good tutorials on a perfect traffic system in this game? It seems a lot of the time it's due to the bug where everyone lines up in one lane and no one passes anyone. I could put off ramps at every single street and all the cars would still line up to get off at the first one.

This may help as a start, reposting from earlier in the thread:

--------------

Here's a post someone made asking for help on how to unjam his traffic issue, with before and after gifs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyl...only_middle_lane_of_six_lane_street_used_bug/

Notice the ones turning to the right, they do so because they need to get in the left lane after the junction. The ones turning left probably need the right lane.

Consider looking at frequent destinations and if there's a bottleneck in your road layout.

51VEkoW.gif

So, after changing some one way roads to normal two lane roads around that junction and redesigning the access to my industrial area, it now looks like this:

YXs2qSC.gif

The road layout in this screenshot shows what caused the problem.

PwrZZSM.jpg

The cars only choose the "turn left" or "turn right" lane, when they plan to make another left or right turn at the very next(!) junction. As you can see, the blue lane is only used, if the car plans to turn left at the very next junction. All other cars choose the middle lane (turn left and turn right) to avoid getting in the turn left or right lane in the next street. This is a game design issue in my opinion. To solve the problem, I changed all one-way roads to normal two-way roads, to make them accessible from both sides.

There's something weird going on in my city. I have a relatively small industrial zone but most of the businesses there complain about needing workers. Office zones are in very high demand, though, as they are almost immediately filled after I zone them.

Is this because of education? I am tempted to just delete all industrial zone to see if the city is affected in any way.

xBladeM6x

There's something weird going on in my city. I have a relatively small industrial zone but most of the businesses there complain about needing workers. Office zones are in very high demand, though, as they are almost immediately filled after I zone them.

Is this because of education? I am tempted to just delete all industrial zone to see if the city is affected in any way.

Your profits will plummet. They'll always bitch about workers. Just let them. Basically the only way to completely make them happy, is to create a ghetto right next to it, and keep them completely uneducated. Lol

slash3584

I think it's a lack of uneducated workers.

This happened to me too when I built the first school on my city.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

Click on the companies that complain about needing workers and look at how many jobs they offer for every level of education, then compare with the global level of education of your city.

If most are too qualified for these jobs, they won't go there and will prefer offices.

Or you can try to do some uneducated neighbourhoods (no easy access to schools) for the industries.

Leonsito

Well, after reading the thread I think I might bite and buy it, first city sim since SimCity 4.

Is 20€ at GMG VIP Room, I will get a Steam key I assume. Is there any voucher for a further discount?

studyguy

Commercial zones seem to require educated workers more often than industrial starting up. I think it marks it with a little blue worker and it specifically states "Need educated worker."

Least that's what I saw when my residential growth outpaced how many people the schools I placed could serve. Uneducated workers are little brown suit guys.

Interfectum

How are one-way roads useful exactly? I've never quite understood this.

Better control over traffic patterns and flow. EX: It allows you to have traffic send off a main road that's filling up with no way to merge back on at that same spot (causing a busy intersection).

Your profits will plummet. They'll always bitch about workers. Just let them. Basically the only way to completely make them happy, is to create a ghetto right next to it, and keep them completely uneducated. Lol

I think it's a lack of uneducated workers.

This happened to me too when I built the first school on my city.

Click on the companies that complain about needing workers and look at how many jobs they offer for every level of education, then compare with the global level of education of your city.

If most are too qualified for these jobs, they won't go there and will prefer offices.

Or you can try to do some uneducated neighbourhoods (no easy access to schools) for the industries.

Commercial zones seem to require educated workers more often than industrial starting up. I think it marks it with a little blue worker and it specifically states "Need educated worker."

Least that's what I saw when my residential growth outpaced how many people the schools I placed could serve. Uneducated workers are little brown suit guys.

So it's probably the city's education level. All of my residential areas have easy access to a couple of primary and high schools as well as to the university.

I'll probably just eliminate the industrial zones since they're only about 5% of my income (and I'm swimming in money anyway :p).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man I wish there was some "Super" mode you could enable so you could terraform without going into the level editor, sometimes I just wanna build some nice hills and shit, some rich snob quarters with expensive villas up on a hill, or make a hill for a nice landmark.

Basically hills are great. Hills for everyone!

AU Tiger

How long has it been declining for?
I've seen many streams where the population goes down for no real reason, but soon picks up again.

Update: I read on the reddit for skylines that it could possibly be a massive number of old people dying. Massive increases in population eventually leads to all those people dying.

I'll get back in the city tonight and see if the rate of citizen loss wanes.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
How do I fix stores that don't have "enough products to sell"? I already have more industrial than commercial zones in my city!

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
How do I fix stores that don't have "enough products to sell"? I already have more industrial than commercial zones in my city!

How busy are the roads between commercials and industrials ? They rely mostly on industries delivery to sell products, they can import too, so take a look at regional connections and city entrances.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Man I wish there was some "Super" mode you could enable so you could terraform without going into the level editor, sometimes I just wanna build some nice hills and shit, some rich snob quarters with expensive villas up on a hill, or make a hill for a nice landmark.

Basically hills are great. Hills for everyone!

Yeah, if I could ask for one feature right now it would be terraforming in an existing city. The tools in the map creator are so awesome, I wish they were available (even if it broke achievements) in game.

That's honestly my only real complaint about the game right now. And it's not even really that big of a complaint...

Teletraan1

Banned
I have a strange bug. When attempting to connect to an existing highway I still get that connection icon and cars disappear, never entering the city. I actually had power plants not get supplies and they stopped working. I have tried deleting the highway and it just pushed the icon further and made more bugged area.

Won

I have a strange bug. When attempting to connect to an existing highway I still get that connection icon and cars disappear, never entering the city. I actually had power plants not get supplies and they stopped working. I have tried deleting the highway and it just pushed the icon further and made more bugged area.

Highways are one way streets. You need to draw it in the right direction. At least that was my problem yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom