• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I don't suppose there's any way to remove the limit on the number of trees you're allowed to have in your city? :D

Theres a limit to the number of trees? I'm surprised I've not hit it yet then, I'm plopping them down everywhere....

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Protip: Be aware of your industrial sectors and how they are linked by train. I have 3 main sectors of industry, and before they would all be linked by train in every direction. But then I noticed that some cargo trucks were going all the way across town to export their goods via the highway instead of dropping off their cargo at the perfectly fine train station right next to them.

What I noticed is that the train station wasn't focused on exporting goods. It was focused on transporting any intermediate goods from one industry sector to another, which wasn't necessary. Those intra-city trains would only be carrying 10% cargo from one industry section to another.

So, what I did was delete my triangle train track intersection things, so that all my train stations only had a route to the outside, and no way to interact with each other. This set their behavior to export only. Then, all my cargo trucks went to the nearest train station to export goods and my efficiency went up by a lot.

HOWEVER

That is not to say that all cargo train communication within your city is bad. It is probably inefficient if you don't have any specialization industry, but if you do, then intra-city train communication can be very efficient too, as long as it doesn't interrupt your communication between regular industry sectors (if you have more than one).

Since you can't choose where specialized industry will be due to the placement of resources, it's likely that your forestry industry, for example, will be in a separate location than your regular industry.

Your industry supply chain works like this:

1. You mine ore/pump oil/cut trees/farm produce with your specialized industry gatherer buildings.

2. They transport the raw materials to the secondary specialized industry buildings for processing. This is usually not a problem since processing buildings usually spawn right next to the gathering buildings too. (or they export the raw materials if you don't have enough secondary buildings to process it all)

3.The secondary processing buildings then transport their intermediary materials to regular industry for final processing. (or they export the intermediary materials if you don't have enough regular industry to process it all)

4. Your regular industry accepts the secondary materials, and creates the finalized goods that are then shipped to your commercial areas (or they export the finalized goods if you have more than your commercial zones can accept)

Without any train connection to each other, your specialized industry takes the intermediary materials to the regular industry for final processing by truck. It's not so bad if your specialized industry is close to your regular industry. However, it can become a problem if your specialized industry is far away from your regular industry. It can become a big problem if those trucks have to pass through any road bottlenecks, or through any residential areas.

This is where the train comes in. Have your specialized industry be connected to your regular industry by train. The specialized industry takes the secondary materials to the train, the train then takes those materials to your regular industry, bypassing all the traffic, and then trucks at the train station unload the secondary materials to your regular industry for final processing.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Linius

Do you guys with nice organised cities plan first before building it in the game? Like drawing some lay-outs on paper or something? I'm trying to think up a good plan for my expansion southwards without fucking up from the get go.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
PageUp and PageDn keys affect elevation of roads, walkways, rail tracks, and power lines.

Page up and down keys when placing a road, and some careful fiddling until you can get a the road under in between pillars of the road above.

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention i'm on a mac. Do you know the equivalent?

Jintor

Is there an easy way to see where your traffic is actually FLOWING too? I can see where it's intense, but what would be more useful is if I could see where my agents are coming/going to and from in aggregate. Most of my buses are rolling at about 30% cars saved which is okay but I can't determine if it's because my routes are rubbish or if it's because I don't have enough buses.

Also, I can't quite get a hang on feeder systems, and I have no idea how to force a bus to take the highway cos they always wanna take the normal routes instead

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Can someone tell me how Sim City regional view worked? I get that it was a series of connected maps, but is that possible to do in Skylines via modding? Can Skylines maps be modded to act like regional view?

In the region view, the game considered each tile's numbers as a whole. For example, if one tile has lots of residential, and the next tile has a lot of industry, the game would take that into consideration and calculate the flow and weights of demand appropriately.

This is why you could build no industry in one city, but still satisfy industrial demand by filling the next town over with nothing but industry. All the game is dealing with is raw numbers.

In Skylines, the complexity would come from the agents. The statistical numbers aspect of the simulation would be fairly simple like in simcity 4, but wherever there is a road connection, there would have to be an agent generating mechanism to simulate the citizens who come from one city to the next.

Shaldome

There's treeless space in the background there, disgusting.

Do you have any "natural" tress that came with the map that you can bulldoze?

There's a limit to the number of trees? I'm surprised I've not hit it yet then, I'm plopping them down everywhere....

Yes there is a limit of 250.000 trees per map. As the trees put in at the creation of the map, some tree happy people hit that limit during their plays.

Hoping to see some weather mods soon, and different biomes. I kind of want to build towns in snowy, cold climates and have to maintain snow removal and such. Additionally mountains and ski towns would be a lot of fun to build around. And more desert areas.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is there an easy way to see where your traffic is actually FLOWING too? I can see where it's intense, but what would be more useful is if I could see where my agents are coming/going to and from in aggregate. Most of my buses are rolling at about 30% cars saved which is okay but I can't determine if it's because my routes are rubbish or if it's because I don't have enough buses.

Also, I can't quite get a hang on feeder systems, and I have no idea how to force a bus to take the highway cos they always wanna take the normal routes instead
I just follow them, but that can take a while.

For the buses, the route planning will always try to take the shortest route. It's almost like getting a glimpse into route query from SimCity4.

You could try to have one stop right by an onramp, and another stop right after an offramp.

Kabouter

Do you have any "natural" tress that came with the map that you can bulldoze?
Not unless I download the mod to unlock more squares, there's loads of trees outside my nine squares.

Edit: Also, if I do get the mod to unlock more squares...is there any way to get brush demolish, because demolishing trees otherwise is going to take a while.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Not unless I download the mod to unlock more squares, there's loads of trees outside my nine squares.

Edit: Also, if I do get the mod to unlock more squares...is there any way to get brush demolish, because demolishing trees otherwise is going to take a while.

Right click with the brush mod to remove trees :)

Opiate

As another note to this game's success, the CEO of Colossal Order is female, and so is the lead designer. I'm very happy to see women succeed in game design and business.

Chariot

Do you guys with nice organised cities plan first before building it in the game? Like drawing some lay-outs on paper or something? I'm trying to think up a good plan for my expansion southwards without fucking up from the get go.
No, I just make up shit as I go along. Granted, my cities are mostly rows and collumns of blocks, but it works out.

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention i'm on a mac. Do you know the equivalent?
Can't you look up and edit the key configurations in the options menu?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
As another note to this game's success, the CEO of Colossal Order is female, and so is the lead designer. I'm very happy to see women succeed in game design and business.

Yep. I love hearing Mariina talk about the game and joke around with her staff.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Someone's working on a Route Query mod:

EwKMtbPh.jpg

Still a work in progress, so I don't think it's posted on Steam Workshop yet.

Corgi

Banned
fitting for someone that lives in a place with shit traffic, decide to build streets similar to those... and have shit traffic D:

btw: where are the saves and how big are they? Want to get the autosave mod, but a bit scared about it creeping up harddrive space.

Gandie

Played way too much today. Only thing I found annoying was lining up the bridge piers with roads underneath. Why can't the placement be more dynamic? Oh well.Still enjoying the game a lot!

P3P5I

Ooh, thanks, 25 square mod it is :p
How are you guys getting the Tree Brush mod to work? I subscribe to it on the workshop, it downloads, I restart the game and when I go to place a tree down the increase/decrease brush buttons have no effect, even when I rebind those keys.

edit: nvm, I had to enable the mod in-game.

t-ramp

How are you guys getting the Tree Brush mod to work? I subscribe to it on the workshop, it downloads, I restart the game and when I go to place a tree down the increase/decrease brush buttons have no effect, even when I rebind those keys.
Are you using the plus/minus keys on your keyboard? I just chose the tree, hit plus on my keyboard's number pad a few times, and it worked fine.

Shaldome

fitting for someone that lives in a place with shit traffic, decide to build streets similar to those... and have shit traffic D:

btw: where are the saves and how big are they? Want to get the autosave mod, but a bit scared about it creeping up harddrive space.

The saves are located in C:\Users\<your windows user name>\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines\Saves

It seems they grow with city size. Mine are around 14 MB with a population of 65.000.

kvothe

I keep wanting to buy this on Amazon because I have some credit saved up there, but whenever I search for it, it doesn't come up. But if I google it, I can find this listing. This seems like legit Amazon, but I'm weirded out since no one has reviewed this version despite it's seeming popularity. Have any of you purchased this game here?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
My second city and there is an insane demand for office. Anytime I built industrial buildings, I have to tear them down due to lack of workers.

Also, some of the requirements to unlock some of the unique buildings seems....stupid.

Mr.Mike

My second city and there is an insane demand for office. Anytime I built industrial buildings, I have to tear them down due to lack of workers.

Also, some of the requirements to unlock some of the unique buildings seems....stupid.

Your people are overeducated (I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, just you can't really have industry).

If you want workers for your industry you could create some slums where the people there can only go to work. Do so by creating a residential neighbourhood, letting people move in, building a metro from there to the your industrial zone and cutting off all road access to that neighbourhood so nobody can go to school.

Or just reduce the education budget I guess.

Looking through your pics, is everyone using larger tile mods and infinite money? Who is playing default tile and legit economics?

Is it even possible to make these large metropolis through the vanilla game, I feel like im doing it wrong.

Jintor

You can start buying tiles for surprisingly cheap very quickly, and once you hit around 5k citizens and you don't expand too fast too quickly you can really rake in the money

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Looking through your pics, is everyone using larger tile mods and infinite money? Who is playing default tile and legit economics?

Is it even possible to make these large metropolis through the vanilla game, I feel like im doing it wrong.

Me. Gonna try for a million without using any mods or assets (since you can cheat with OP buildings too). Currently at 143k. I don't think I'm going to attempt streaming again until the rest of the new PC parts I ordered come in so that I can finally complete my Haswell E i75960X + GTX970 build.

Seventy70

Your people are overeducated (I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, just you can't really have industry).

If you want workers for your industry you could create some slums where the people there can only go to work. Do so by creating a residential neighbourhood, letting people move in, building a metro from there to the your industrial zone and cutting off all road access to that neighbourhood so nobody can go to school.

Or just reduce the education budget I guess.

...or just make some offices along with cargo import and not be a monster :p

dejay

Banned
In relation to the too many parks = dead commercial demand issue.

I've created a park in the asset editor and I've been playing around with the values in an attempt to replicate the settings of the existing parks in terms of area of effect and strength of effect whilst eliminating tourist demand. It would be too easy to set a single tile park with a huge radius and strength - I'm trying to keep it meaningful in terms of gameplay.

The figures that seem to give a decent average result are:

EntertainmentAccumulation = 120
EntertainmentRadius=400

Apparently the team are off for the weekend (slack Finnish bastards!) but the community guy is going to bring the issue to their attention next week.

Anyway, now that I've got some values more or less zeroed in, I can create some cool looking parks and such. I've tried the dickbutt park - interesting but it ruined the aesthetics somewhat :)

ryan299

So i've only played Sim City 2013 when it comes to city builders. Will it be a hard curve for me to learn this game if I get it?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So i've only played Sim City 2013 when it comes to city builders. Will it be a hard curve for me to learn this game if I get it?

I never played a city builder and I didn't have any trouble. Not to say there aren't things you learn as you go along. You learn from your mistakes.

t-ramp

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines\Saves

My latest save is at 11MB, and that's at a population of only 35,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom