• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

https://twitter.com/ShamsJorjani/status/575948533918007296

How do they even know how many people pirate the game? Does the game phone home? Or are they just counting torrent tracker numbers?

Shame, this is a great game worth every penny, and it was only like 30 bucks. Hopefully some of those pirates do actually end up paying for the game :p.

And apparently the game is connected to their own service somehow?

Trying to build Toronto, but better:

The guy who designed the map put the highway lanes reversed, I didn't notice until too late.

Do tell if you sort out the 401 traffic. I've driven the entire length of the 401, which I learned is a highway in most of Ontario, except in Toronto, where it is a parking lot.

Jedi2016

Pirating makes it a bit difficult to use the Workshop, doesn't it? And what with all of the coming updates and such. And yeah, the game's cheap to begin with. Anyone who pirates this is just a dick, end of story.

Sober

There is that Paradox login prompt on the main menu, so maybe through that?

Also, I made a thread about those tweets earlier:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1009993
I don't log into Paradox accounts myself. And yeah, I guess if people are pirating it, it's not the same people that'll play the game long term anyway. And if they do end up being convinced they'll probably buy it cause it's cheap and steam workshop to extend the life of the game anyway.

Not sure how they estimate numbers though for piracy, honestly. But 0% somehow on day 1 is still damn impressive. And making a quarter million in sales so quickly too.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I don't log into Paradox accounts myself.

I meant that the existence of that login could mean it may ping the Paradox servers with some sort of unique ID once you get to the main menu, and a pirated copy may report a specific ID.

Jims

This thread and positive word of mouth compelled me to jump in a purchase a copy. I haven't played a city-building game since SimCity 3000, so all the newness is a lot to adjust to. It's really fun jumping back into a genre you've taken such a long break for. I guess I'm in the mood for another one of these.

Managed to fool around a little building roads and zones and stuff and build a baby city of about 3,000. The old school SimCity guy in me is tempted to build a boring grid of straight roads, so I tried to build a lot of fancy curvy roads that look nice. Just kind of getting a feel for how the traffic flows and stuff. I laid my water piping in probably the least efficient manner possible. I also built really, really far away from the water, so I had to build a large pipeline to the sewage thing. Maybe next time I'll build heading toward the water. Still feeling out where to put commercial zones.

Fun game so far.

Megasoum

Banned
https://twitter.com/ShamsJorjani/status/575948533918007296

How do they even know how many people pirate the game? Does the game phone home? Or are they just counting torrent tracker numbers?

Fun fact, pretty much every single game released nowadays has a backend metrics system that phones home with a bunch of data for the publisher/developper to track. You'd be amazed how much stats they gatter for every games.

And I'm not just talking about online games or games with logins.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
man it's so cool to just randomly follow a car around and look at your city and think "Fuck man, I've made a cool looking place"

Yes, yes it is. The game is so very scenic when your just following random vehicles or people as they move about the world you've created. It's awesome.

I'm having a problem with huge traffic in my downtown area, so I zoom down and noticed that I have farm tractors and logging trucks going up and down my main avenue in order to get to my cargo ship terminal. So I click on one of them leaving the docks and follow it in first person view as it drove all the way up main street, then took a few turns onto some avenues that went through my industrial district, across the highway, through my logging forest roads and eventually up to a hillside and ended up in my farm country way up north. It was an awesome trip, so scenic. However, my traffic woes are being caused by the farm and logging trucks roaring throughout my city. I need to build some kind of bypass highway to get them down there in a better way...

Looking through your pics, is everyone using larger tile mods and infinite money? Who is playing default tile and legit economics?

Is it even possible to make these large metropolis through the vanilla game, I feel like im doing it wrong.

No, I think most of us are playing on the default 9 tiles and in normal mode, with progression on. It's just that the build area is very large and we are all playing this game an awful lot. I mean a LOT, lol.

Pachael

Looking through your pics, is everyone using larger tile mods and infinite money? Who is playing default tile and legit economics?

Is it even possible to make these large metropolis through the vanilla game, I feel like im doing it wrong.

I'm playing everything default on my first city, though my first city is at 115k and I'm playing the game as if I never stopped from SC4 (or 2013, but that one has some stuff I like like setting your events that test your traffic capabilities).

I'm slowly trying bits and pieces of other great ideas like pedestrian highways and roundabouts but let's see where this go (Haven't really seen much cyclists though)

jtb

Banned
Their attitude towards piracy is great. I really do hope they continue that commitment towards free updates; I know Paradox probably has a big say in it, but I thought their Cities In Motion 2 DLC strategy was pretty ridiculous (in a bad way). Shipping the game with just 2 vehicles per transport type just so you could charge for re-skinned vehicles and proper functionality later.... That's disrespectful to the core audience that actually bought the game at launch.

Still, 250,000 in one day is ridiculously impressive and I'm really happy for them and Paradox.

--

I'm guessing there's nothing like the Sim City 4 commute feature where clicking on a building would show arrows for people's commutes? (Because of the agent based stuff.... maybe I'm missing this button... idk)

Sober

Tunnel update is coming soon(ish).
Forget tunnels (maybe not), I wanna be able to terraform on the spot to make sunken roads/highways/etc.

3Wi6nm5.jpg

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I know it might be kinda early, but have they spoken about what kind of things they want to add in future updates/dlc?

I keep wanting to buy this on Amazon because I have some credit saved up there, but whenever I search for it, it doesn't come up. But if I google it, I can find this listing. This seems like legit Amazon, but I'm weirded out since no one has reviewed this version despite it's seeming popularity. Have any of you purchased this game here?

The last release from Paradox' official Amazon is Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado DLC. Not seeing Cities Skylines there yet.

Hip Hop

So i've only played Sim City 2013 when it comes to city builders. Will it be a hard curve for me to learn this game if I get it?

If you've played Sim City 2013, you are already ahead of the curve. The U.I. has a very familiar setup to that of Sim city 2013. There are some quirks here in there. but you will feel comfortable in no time,

Onyar

Just beat 100k with my first city. Trying a lot of things so there isn't any special shape. While building the city I realised a lot of errors, some I could fix it others not so mutch.

EC0434C4D63D812755B6A09B31A2E33AD97C59AB

This game is so fun.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I finally distributed a ton of incinerators around the city in various areas and seem to have good enough coverage. I'm now slowly emptying the dumps I have filled up. (Taking forever. FOREVER.) We really need to be able to attach dumps, incinerators, cemeteries, crematoriums and other services to districts so they don't decide to drive allllllll the way across the town to pick something up instead of going to the buildings 100 feet away. That's my real main gripe. Attaching to districts would be amazing.

Also, how do I deal with the stupid "ground is polluted so people are sick" thing? I built health centers right next to them to help but why is the ground polluted? And how do I tell? There seems to be a lot of spots all over the area. You can't tell when you build there. I didn't pollute it myself. This is all fresh new land. Why is it polluted???

No. It's apparently hard coded.

Also, trees act as decoration, but not noise reduction. Hopefully that gets modded. I hope CO removes the tree limit too
Wait, they don't block sound? Aww, I thought they did. And there's a limit? What's the limit for trees??

Edit: Also, I just hit Metropolis while I was typing this! Whoo! Airport here I come!! Next step Megalopolis! Though it's weird that the citizen amounts are so low compared to the original SimCity games.

Jintor

Something that could slave together highways heading in both directions would be nice, too. Especially since the curve algorithm is so weird.

I was really expecting a congratulatory message to appear, some fireworks, a new building unlock or Steam achievement when I hit 100k... but sadly not, it was just another person moving into the city.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Something that could slave together highways heading in both directions would be nice, too. Especially since the curve algorithm is so weird.

You know, if come to think of it, I liked the road tools in SimCity better. Especially the ability to hold shift and force straight lines to be parallel to the map.

Skyzard

Banned
My mods are acting up. First I thought it was just dynamic resolution causing the game to not load properly but now other mods just aren't working when they were working fine before.

Verger

Banned
Looking forward to future mods that will upgrade the visual quality. Say what you will about the last SimCity but aesthetically-speaking it was very good looking. They totally nailed that whole "model train" "tilt-shift" look they were going for and it gave it a lot of charm.

dejay

Banned
In relation to the too many parks = dead commercial demand issue.

I've created a park in the asset editor and I've been playing around with the values in an attempt to replicate the settings of the existing parks in terms of area of effect and strength of effect whilst eliminating tourist demand. It would be too easy to set a single tile park with a huge radius and strength - I'm trying to keep it meaningful in terms of gameplay.

The figures that seem to give a decent average result are:

EntertainmentAccumulation = 120
EntertainmentRadius=400

Apparently the team are off for the weekend (slack Finnish bastards!) but the community guy is going to bring the issue to their attention next week.

Anyway, now that I've got some values more or less zeroed in, I can create some cool looking parks and such. I've tried the dickbutt park - interesting but it ruined the aesthetics somewhat :)

An update - I've since created 3 new parks (one is called Greek Tragedy, it's all paving and fountains). I've removed all the official parks that I've put in and put in my own and my city is now what I'd call back to normal. Commercial demand is good and I no longer have a stagnant industry complaining of not being able to sell their goods. Before my commercial district was tiny - my CRI ratio was something around 1:20:15, which was nuts.

I'll make some more parks after I've played with my city to get some variety - it's actually fun, and you can sink some time into that too, although the asset editor has it's quirks.

Almighty

Yeah traffic in this game is a bitch, but that is part of the fun. The metro did manage to delay the inevitable a little bit though. I have a plan in place to run a highway through my city that i think might work. Now it is just a matter of figuring out how I can make it the most effective without destroying too much.

It is a little strange how little need for industrial and commercial there is "late game." My current city is at 50k and I think I can just keep adding residential, offices, and parks and never worry about the other two types of zoning.

spiritfox

It is a little strange how little need for industrial and commercial you need "late game." My current city is at 50k and I think I can just keep adding residential, offices, and parks and never worry about the other two types of zoning.

Parks have a bug right now where they sap commercial demand. Industrial is stuck to lower education so more educated people will move to offices though. Not that weird since manufacturing is all moving to China :p

They need a high tech industry option.

Almighty

It is a little strange how little need for industrial and commercial you need "late game." My current city is at 50k and I think I can just keep adding residential, offices, and parks and never worry about the other two types of zoning.

Personally I am glad you can get rid of dirty industry as that stuff is traffic nightmare, but the park bug does suck so bad. I hate not being able to have my residential areas swimming in parks because it kills off my thriving commercial district.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
An update - I've since created 3 new parks (one is called Greek Tragedy, it's all paving and fountains). I've removed all the official parks that I've put in and put in my own and my city is now what I'd call back to normal. Commercial demand is good and I no longer have a stagnant industry complaining of not being able to sell their goods. Before my commercial district was tiny - my CRI ratio was something around 1:20:15, which was nuts.

I'll make some more parks after I've played with my city to get some variety - it's actually fun, and you can sink some time into that too, although the asset editor has it's quirks.

You are doing gods work.

My town is so small because I'm scared. I'm just slowly branching out, making new stuff as I go, when I can. But traffic is getting pretty heavy and I've started to try and revamp certain roads.

Might have to start over with a better plan. I'm thinking I've cornered myself.

Tabris

Anyone else having the issue where it's constant demand for Office and like 0 demand for Commercial or Industry? I'm at 32k and almost half my city is zoned Office.

Spl1nter

Trying to build Toronto, but better:

The guy who designed the map put the highway lanes reversed, I didn't notice until too late.

Not enough traffic. You should build Ford's vision of Toronto.

Anyone else having the issue where it's constant demand for Office and like 0 demand for Commercial or Industry? I'm at 32k and almost half my city is zoned Office.

Demand becomes more wonky it seems with higher pop. numbers. I imagine the park bug is causing some of that as commercial is being satisfied without goods production or selling.

fritolay

Best PC game I have purchased for a while. I prefer strategy/sim games and this really is a great game.

+Make the game the community can mod
+City size looks like it can be quite big
+Price was 30 dollars, made it definite buy
+Graphics are about what I prefer. Looks good, but not to the point of needing hefty hardware and that means more customers, more community, more mods
+I am able to make crazy roads which is fun

There are other good things about this game. Like many have said, when you look up and you realize you it is many hours later and did not realize the time, time flies when you are having fun.

In the end I like to support games like this. I hope more companies make games that people can mod and create into their own. This has been lost in the PC community.

Tabris

Just googled it and apparently there's a serious bug where parks remove commercial demand, and without commercial buildings, there's less demand for industrial (not selling goods).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom