• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So tell me....fellow GAFS.

Has this game done what we wanted Sim City to be?

Has EA trashed their once famous franchise?

Has this game taken it's place?

Should I buy it?

Kabouter

FC7B9BF3FD919261357A9CDFA56EE967F2BC0EF7
Current state of my second city, going pretty well. Hate that I had to remove trees from most of the map to have enough to use in my city itself though :(

finalflame

Current state of my second city, going pretty well. Hate that I had to remove trees from most of the map to have enough to use in my city itself though :(

Looks great, but to be fair, that neighborhood on the bottom left there is basically a controlled forest with some roads and a couple of houses.

fedexpeon

Banned
So tell me....fellow GAFS.

Has this game done what we wanted Sim City to be?

Has EA trashed their once famous franchise?

Has this game taken it's place?

Should I buy it?

Simcity is pretty much dead.
Cities: Skylines can still be better though, and add a bit of polish. It needs to improve the graphic for building, taller building growth, 'cleaner' tech industry that isn't just office, add module/upgrade options for services, and remove electricity poles.

I hope there will be a monorail DLC/mod soon as well. It would make the city looks amazing seeing them running through the city.

finalflame

Simcity is pretty much dead.
Cities: Skylines can still be better though, and add a bit of polish. It needs to improve the graphic for building, taller building growth, 'cleaner' tech industry that isn't just office, add module/upgrade options for services, and remove electricity poles.

I hope there will be a monorail DLC/mod soon as well. It would make the city looks amazing seeing them running through the city.

Nice summary of how the game could improve. Remove electricity poles and add polish to the UI/Interactions are the 2 big ones for me. Electricity should just flow on streets.

That said, still a fantastic game.

Krabardaf

First game i played in a while ( CivV apart ) and loving it.

Dem jaggies though... I've tried a few tricks but nothing works except the dynamic resolution mod, which is too heavy on my system ( GTX 670, 30 doesn't cut it for me ).

Anybody found a solution to implement MSAA/CSAA or even a good PP solution like SMAA?

markot

Banned
I tried to build farms and mines. Each time they've been wastelands abandoned buildings, constantly looking for workers.

But I turn them into regular industry and it's fine....

And they're over the right resources.

fedexpeon

Banned
I actually like power lines, much better than having everything in the game tied to streets.

Power line doesn't add much to the gameplay.
You just build a nearby energy source or hook it up to a nearby powered zone.
After that, you have to delete the poles since every zoned space will have powered buildings to spread the electricity.
It is a waste of time to micro-manage the poles because you will have to go into the electric UI to search for the few poles you forgot to destroy.

xBladeM6x

Game isn't even out a week and we are getting high quality, gameplay changing, tool adding mods.

I can't even imagine what we have in a month or in a year.

Total conversion mods. Considering that you can change just about any aesthetic in the game, including models, and have completely new monuments and such, I imagine we'll see a medieval total conversion.

Linius

Just need some cows at the greenery outside your metropolis. Then you can simulate a train ride from Amsterdam to Weesp.

Mii

Banned
Everyone always talks about SimCity NAM, but I always thought CAM was the more important mod. I want to see more stages of development for all building classes and support for much taller buildings, even if the population numbers need to be fudged.

Trickster

Try linking them to your public transport network.

Thanks that helped, though some of my decentralized office areas still aren't satisfied, though I suppose that kinda works if they don't become huge mega offices considering their outlying placements.

Milamber

I want higher micro management of industries. There is too few resources. Oil/Forestry/Farming doesn't cut it.

I want pastures of meat processing plants.

I want fleets of fisheries.

I want craters of coal and precious mineral mining operations.

Klyka

Banned
Anybody know how to get "Raw materials" for the factories?

They keep shutting down because of that.

Do they have road access to a highway/train/ship that leads out of your playable area?
Then they can export.
Otherwise you can create specialized industry that will create raw materials and then send them to your standard industry.

Linius

Anybody know how to get "Raw materials" for the factories?

They keep shutting down because of that.

I think it's mostly important your industry is well connected to the highway if raw materials have to come into your city from elsewhere. Otherwise trucks won't reach it and clog up your city traffic.

I want higher micro management of industries. There is too few resources. Oil/Forestry/Farming doesn't cut it.

I want pastures of meat processing plants.

I want fleets of fisheries.

I want craters of coal and precious mineral mining operations.

I would like a fleet of fishing boats. Deadliest Catch kind of shit, hardcore.

Hip Hop

Do they have road access to a highway/train/ship that leads out of your playable area?
Then they can export.
Otherwise you can create specialized industry that will create raw materials and then send them to your standard industry.

I think it's mostly important your industry is well connected to the highway if raw materials have to come into your city from elsewhere. Otherwise trucks won't reach it and clog up your city traffic.

Yeah, they do have access to highways and 2 cargo rail lines but that area sees a lot of traffic. I'll work some more on clearing up the roads a bit.

Linius

Yeah, they do have access to highways and 2 cargo rail lines but that area sees a lot of traffic. I'll work some more on clearing up the roads a bit.

Maybe zoom in on that area and follow it for a bit to see if trucks are actually using the infrastructure you created. In my city (as small as it is) I found that trucks for some reason still used the old access to my city from the highway. Which caused to cluster up in streets too narrow to hold all that industrial traffic. Even though I built them a perfect direct way off the highway straight into the industry district.

Rad-

Wow traffic management got way easier when I realized you can build elevated walk pavements. People are walking from other side of the city to their work place. Now my city is filled with elevated walk ways.

Now if I only got car parking lots work better. My citizen don't really like to use them.

Vargavinter

I love seeing you guys showing off your cities. I bought the game, but damn! I have some kind of OCD that hinders me from making anything free-form or something that just is a flow of inspiration, I'm stuck in "Everything needs to be in perfect squares or my whole world starts to crumble." D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom