• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just googled it and apparently there's a serious bug where parks remove commercial demand, and without commercial buildings, there's less demand for industrial (not selling goods).

Yeah. People are probably going to have to seriously alter their cities when that gets patched.

There is zero reason to have industrial right now anyway: more parks= less commercial, so whatever commercial you do have survives off of imports or whatever industrial/specialized districts you have

Is there a way to change the direction of a one way street that is already placed or a way you can drag a street in one direction and have it build with the traffic direction going the other way?

Jintor

Is there a way to change the direction of a one way street that is already placed or a way you can drag a street in one direction and have it build with the traffic direction going the other way?

That's another thing they need to add, sometimes it's only possible to get that perfect curved road when going from a certain direction. A simple 'reverse way this street goes' button would be ace.

The_Decryptor

Neo Member
I'd love the ability to flip the direction of a one way street, and switch between one way and two way without having to re-lay it.

I would also like to know how people are hitting the 250,000 tree limit, I managed to fill the entire 9x9 squares in the map editor with trees before running out.

The system requirements say the game doesn't support Intel Integrated graphics. How is that possible? The newer ones are pretty powerful. Like the Iris Pro

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The system requirements say the game doesn't report Intel Integrated graphics. How is that possible? The newer ones are pretty powerful. Like the Iris Pro

That just means the game wasn't tested with Intel IGPs -- it's not that the game doesn't support them at the technical level but rather they're not officially supported since they weren't incorporated into requirements testing. You'll see a similar notice on Fallout 3's store page, but it runs just fine on Windows 7/8.

That just means the game wasn't tested with Intel IGPs -- it's not that the game doesn't support them at the technical level but rather they're not officially supported since they weren't incorporated into requirements testing. You'll see a similar notice on Fallout 3's store page, but it runs just fine on Windows 7/8.
Fallout 3 was old enough that the good Intel HD Graphics didn't exist yet, I think.

How did Intel HD Graphics not make it into requirements testing, I'll never know...

xk0sm0sx

Yes, yes it is. The game is so very scenic when your just following random vehicles or people as they move about the world you've created. It's awesome.

I'm having a problem with huge traffic in my downtown area, so I zoom down and noticed that I have farm tractors and logging trucks going up and down my main avenue in order to get to my cargo ship terminal. So I click on one of them leaving the docks and follow it in first person view as it drove all the way up main street, then took a few turns onto some avenues that went through my industrial district, across the highway, through my logging forest roads and eventually up to a hillside and ended up in my farm country way up north. It was an awesome trip, so scenic. However, my traffic woes are being caused by the farm and logging trucks roaring throughout my city. I need to build some kind of bypass highway to get them down there in a better way...

WAIT, this game has this feature!?
That's it, that's the breaking point for me. I'm buying this.

JaseC

Fallout 3 was old enough that the good Intel HD Graphics didn't exist yet, I think.

How did Intel HD Graphics not make it into requirements testing, I'll never know...

I wasn't talking about Intel IGPs there. Re-read the sentence. ;)

JaseC

That just means the game wasn't tested with Intel IGPs

I wasn't talking about the other part, too. Re-read the sentence. :)

I was responding to this:

The second part of my post refers to the notice on the store page that says it's "not optimised for Windows 7 or higher", hence "... but it runs just fine on Windows 7/8." It's just another example of where certain software/hardware is said to be unsupported but not insofar that it's incompatible.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
How do I put an end to this "not enough raw materials" that's plaguing my industry areas?

As far as I can tell, there's no traffic backup blocking trucks from getting in. I have multiple shipyards and trainyards. I don't know what the problem is.

I was responding to this:

The second part of my post refers to the notice on the store page that says it's "not optimised for Windows 7 or higher", hence "... but it runs just fine on Windows 7/8."

Aww.

Still, I've never made any mention on OS compatibility, so it should be implied that I wasn't talking about future OS support - I'm talking about current graphics support.

Perhaps they'll get around to actually revising the specs, but not that it really matters - we'll just have to handle a few extra questions here and there.

I had a very strange dream where...

Darn, I think I forgot about what it is exactly about, but it had to do with a city-building game.

JaseC

Aww.

Still, I've never made any mention on OS compatibility, so it should be implied that I wasn't talking about future OS support - I'm talking about current graphics support.

...but that post wasn't a reply to you. You responded to a post that I made in response to someone else who was curious about Skylines supposedly not working with Intel IGPs. I was just using Fo3's OS notice to drive home the point that certain software/hardware not being listed as officially supported is not intended to imply that it'll not work with the game at all.

...but I didn't reply to you. You responded to a post that I made in response to someone else who was curious about the game supposedly not working with Intel IGPs. I was just using Fo3's OS notice to drive point the home that certain software/hardware not being listed as officially supported is not intended to imply that it'll not work with the game at all.

Sometimes it might feel compelling enough to add onto other posts in case something needs elaboration. :)

Guess there was a misunderstanding. Badly.

JaseC

Sometimes it might feel compelling enough to add onto other posts in case something needs elaboration. :)

Sure, but in this case you did so by injecting your own context (I mean, you know I was talking about Fo3's OS notice but you mentioned Fo3 and IGPs in your reply instead because you were talking about graphics support, even though that post didn't involve you in any way) which, incidentally, leads nicely into...

Guess there was a misunderstanding. Badly.

Precisely what I was getting at. ;)

I am going to think that the game is going to look very different one year from now, thanks to DLC, patches, and extensive nodding.

Sometimes I just want to be in one year into the future and have it all now...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
VLieEij.jpg
AM I DOING THIS RIGHT GUYS?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The most annoying bug is emptying a cemetery or dump and for some reason the hearse or truck decides to drive all the way across town instead of right next door. That's just as bad as them stupidly deciding to pick up at buildings miles away instead of next door too. I really hope this problem at least is fixed for the update. It would solve many of my problems. I really can't wait to see what's in the first patch.

The most annoying bug is emptying a cemetery or dump and for some reason the hearse or truck decides to drive all the way across town instead of right next door. That's just as bad as them stupidly deciding to pick up at buildings miles away instead of next door too. I really hope this problem at least is fixed for the update. It would solve many of my problems. I really can't wait to see what's in the first patch.

Me too, even though I normally don't find it to be much of a bother, it needs improvement.

(That thing seems to have something to do with the services responding to the first events in queue instead of nearest. Is it true?)

Dis game... I've just spent the two whole days of the weekend building one megacity, no mods... Glorious!
Now to start again with mods.

Auto-bulldoze vacant lots would be handy (already downloaded).
Parks not needed to be along a road will be great too.
FPS mode, obvs.

But man, even vanilla, not without issues, it was a magnificent experience!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Me too, even though I normally don't find it to be much of a bother, it needs improvement.

(That thing seems to have something to do with the services responding to the first events in queue instead of nearest. Is it true?)
I'm pretty sure it is. And it's really silly in a big city. Or at all. It should start close and expand outwards.

He's going to drive through a traffic jam to deliver the body instead of right next door. This doesn't have anything to do with a queue though which doesn't make any sense. Why would the game pick that crematorium?

r1chard

Once you've unlocked more tiles, how do you buy them?
Click the big button in the bottom left (region view), then click the region you want to buy.

On a separate topic, how to people work the freeway entrance into their city so it doesn't look utterly pants going from two three-lane one-way roads to the roads we have to work with? Which for some inexplicable reason don't include three-lane one-way roads?

fritolay

I don't quite understand the emptying of graveyards and trash dumps.
When you empty one, where do the grabage trucks take it to?
Are the garbage trucks then not picking up garbage from customers?
If you have them emptying, why will they not stop and go back to collecting when they are at 0%?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
And even worse, for some reason, 97% of the time no garbage trucks or hearses are leaving my dumps and cemeteries when they're in empty mode. So it takes even longer to empty. I'll click them and it'll say none are out on the road. Why are you not doing your job?

Please fix these bugs. It's ruining my fun.

Also, when a garbage truck is dropping off at an incinerator, for some reason instead of going into it, then coming back out and going straight back to the dump, it drops its load off and keeps driving, which requires it to then go around the block, or to a dead end and turn around. It should be going into the building. This seems like a weird bug because the same thing doesn't happen with hearses. They actually go into the crematoriums.

So removing all parks and unique buildings has lead to a frenzy of building activity.

I sure hope they fix this bug promptly.
My Sims ain't happy they have nowhere to walk their dog anymore.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Pre release, I commented about how it appears that teleporting cars probably won't make that much of an impact. I still think it does, however, only for people who don't notice it.

The more I test stuff in the game, the more exploitable the simulation appears. If I'm to be completely honest, it does take away some of the enjoyment out of the game for min/max type people like me.

For all of SimCity's (many) faults, the traffic system was fucking brutal, and I really enjoyed trying to get it under control, because doing so was a tremendous challenge.

Amzin

So now that I've had a few hours with the game, a couple of questions:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how people did it, but I created some parks by making a road, placing park, deleting road, and making walking paths to them. Seems fine except I'm getting high crime reported in the parks because apparently criminals can use paths but cops can't? And that's with me having an overall crime rate of like 2%. Do parks HAVE to remain on a road?

Also, I have the Paradox Plaza from logging in with my Paradox account, but I'm missing the Zen Garden for some reason (I definitely did the vote thingy though), is there something special I missed on this one?

spiritfox

So now that I've had a few hours with the game, a couple of questions:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how people did it, but I created some parks by making a road, placing park, deleting road, and making walking paths to them. Seems fine except I'm getting high crime reported in the parks because apparently criminals can use paths but cops can't? And that's with me having an overall crime rate of like 2%. Do parks HAVE to remain on a road?

Also, I have the Paradox Plaza from logging in with my Paradox account, but I'm missing the Zen Garden for some reason (I definitely did the vote thingy though), is there something special I missed on this one?

Right now police can't use pedestrian paths, so buildings on them will not have coverage. Hopefully this is something that can be modded or added in.

The Zen Garden is not out yet for some reason.

Parks that can be plopped without a need for a road!

Trickster

What are the requirements for getting offices to become level 2 buildings? All my Office buildings are around 1/3 into the tier 2 bar, with the message that they need to be covered by more services to allow them to be upgraded, but I'm already offering a number of services and tax reductions to them :/

Kabouter

What are the requirements for getting offices to become level 2 buildings? All my Office buildings are around 1/3 into the tier 2 bar, with the message that they need to be covered by more services to allow them to be upgraded, but I'm already offering a number of services and tax reductions to them :/

Try linking them to your public transport network.

Would be good to have an option to configure and aggregate it. like:
- small problems
- big problems
- chitchat

Something like the trending feature would be good as well.

Yeah.

Or an old-school news-ticker style for people that prefer them to be in a sorted list? Maybe with the pressing stuff on top, and chit-chat/tips at bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom