• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd-z

Bought this because of hype and nice price. And because I've never played a citybuilder before, the closest I ever got was Zeus: Master of Olympus and Rollercoaster Tycoon.

Let's just say that after 30 minuts of play I'm TERRIBLE at this game. I have so much to learn, I can't even get a basic city going without running out of money :O

Noaloha

Three Moves Ahead podcast!

March 15, 2015 This is, by far, the most drug-filled, corpse-ridden, communism-fueled episode of Three Moves Ahead yet. Cities: Skylines has quickly become the darling of the city management scene and Fraser Brown, Rowan Kaiser, Sean Sands, and Rob Zacny are here to tell you why.

Cities: Skylines, SimCity, Cities in Motion

Chaos

Can you make money with buses early game?

When looking at my figures it seems like it costs more to run than the profit it generates.

Can you make money with buses early game?

When looking at my figures it seems like it costs more to run than the profit it generates.

It should. (Use multiple bus lines...that also have some parts overlapping.)

I think one bus depot is probably good enough for up to 2x2 city tiles. I think I've managed to make a 100% profit.

Cerity

Noticed that elementary school education is over qualified for farming according to the game. Shouldn't be that way at all IMO, as the people get more educated the farms should become more efficient with new technology and such. Same with other industries.

Might be time to look into this modding business.

Noticed that elementary school education is over qualified for farming according to the game. Shouldn't be that way at all IMO, as the people get more educated the farms should become more efficient with new technology and such. Same with other industries.

I think the education system is a little bit botched. It's a bit too strict.

I think it could use something a bit more lenient (like not considering workers to be overeducated until two stages over).

vareon

Bought this because of hype and nice price. And because I've never played a citybuilder before, the closest I ever got was Zeus: Master of Olympus and Rollercoaster Tycoon.

Let's just say that after 30 minuts of play I'm TERRIBLE at this game. I have so much to learn, I can't even get a basic city going without running out of money :O

I'm terrible at games like this too, but I really enjoy this one. With each city restart I'm equipped with a new experience and that is fun.

I'm terrible at games like this too, but I really enjoy this one. With each city restart I'm equipped with a new experience and that is fun.

The fourth time's the most fun time for me, haha. 40K and going up! (I like square city boundaries, so I tend to hold off on expansion until I can expand evenly. Or when I run out of space.)

Nymerio

I love this game but I think I've made a couple of big mistakes with my first proper attempt at a city. I started zoning right after the highway ramps and didn't leave any space to build my own highway through my tile. I also built long winding streets but didn't think about how bad this would be for access to schools, garbage trucks, etc. On my way to 20k within the only tile I'm occupying. I think I'll start over and try to plan ahead a bit more this time.

The1Ski

I'm not one to go on about "micro aggressions" or being politically correct, but it's a little offensive to farmers! It's funny how the game requires that farm workers be dullards that have absolutely zero education!

I've hit a wall for some reason. Everyone in my city keeps dying. Water is fine, traffic is fine, crime is low, I have 5 cemeteries and crematoriums, I have 3 major hospitals and 3 local, same with the fire station and police station, but everyone is dying all over the place. Does anyone know why this is happening? Water isn't polluted and far from it, my city's overall health is great with only 2% of my population being sick. I'm stuck :(

Jisgsaw

I've hit a wall for some reason. Everyone in my city keeps dying. Water is fine, traffic is fine, crime is low, I have 5 cemeteries and crematoriums, I have 3 major hospitals and 3 local, same with the fire station and police station, but everyone is dying all over the place. Does anyone know why this is happening? Water isn't polluted and far from it, my city's overall health is great with only 2% of my population being sick. I'm stuck :(

It may be because you had a huge population surge in the past, and now all these people are dying of old age?

I'm not one to go on about "micro aggressions" or being politically correct, but it's a little offensive to farmers! It's funny how the game requires that farm workers be dullards that have absolutely zero education!

Maybe they should make use of a slightly different education system where:

Buildings take workers of three groups of skill levels

Low corresponds to no education and basic education

Medium corresponds to basic and good education

High corresponds to good and best education

As long as there is enough % in total for a building, it'll operate

I don't know if it'll become unbalanced, though.

It may be because you had a huge population surge in the past, and now all these people are dying of old age?

This does make sense. But the way it's happening, it's scaring the hell out of me. It looks like there's an apocalypse happening right before my eyes and I haven't touched 20k yet :(

This does make sense. But the way it's happening, it's scaring the hell out of me. It looks like there's an apocalypse happening right before my eyes and I haven't touched 20k yet :(

It's probably a very good idea to zone anyway even if you see no demand. It's likely that it actually represents that all three are being satisfied at the same rate if you had leftover zones.

Jisgsaw

I was pretty surprised when it happened to me too (lost 15k people, and a lot of tax money right when I was needing it to redo my highway layout). But it took up again after a few weeks.

Linius

6qqb.jpg

10K pop now. I'm still far from efficient with building and expanding. But it kind of works so far. Think I'll just let it simulate a while the next time I'm playing so I can bank some money.

strata8

Making the game open to mods really is the best thing such a small team could do for a game like this.

I should probably have a go at modding myself, just need to come up with an idea. I remember there was something I was thinking when I played last night but I can't remember what it was now.

I've had a few ideas, but don't know Unity or C# so can't implement them myself.

- Isometric camera
- Timelapse tool (already being done by someone AFAIK)
- 'Bullshot' tool. Already managed to do this (take a 13440x8400 screenshot)...

...but I'd like to be able to push the LOD distance, etc, to the highest setting possible, not sure how to do that.

It's probably a very good idea to zone anyway even if you see no demand. It's likely that it actually represents that all three are being satisfied at the same rate if you had leftover zones.

Yeah, I started to do this because the demand was going up again and my pop slowly started to pick up again so I'll continue to do this.

I was pretty surprised when it happened to me too (lost 15k people, and a lot of tax money right when I was needing it to redo my highway layout). But it took up again after a few weeks.

As first I thought it probably had something do with my streets. My streets are crazy; I'm in love with swirls and over and unders so I was creating unusual traffic in certain areas where I shouldn't be having traffic. Good thing I still have lots of dough right now to afford a huge lost but it still sucks seeing all those skull heads. Every single home had them lol. I was stressed out

Hey guys. Let me begin by saying I'm really enjoying this game but I seem to have encountered a bug where I can't load or continue my game. All of my save games appear in Content Manager however, no saves appear in the Load Game menu. The game allows me to select Continue Game but clicking it does nothing. Does anyone know of any solutions?

Hmm...

On second thought, a GTX 760M turns out to be a happy camper running at high.

Guess I have been running the settings a bit too low. Hehe.

What post-process AA were they using? It's no good that even the NVIDIA driver FXAA makes it look much smoother, even considering tree motion.

Shahadan

I don't understand cargo train stations. Tooltip says there should be less trucks on my roads but it just seems to add more of them instead.

Maybe I'm not putting them at the right places.

Linius

Hmm...

On second thought, a GTX 760M turns out to be a happy camper running at high.

Guess I have been running the settings a bit too low. Hehe.

What post-process AA were they using? It's no good that even the NVIDIA driver FXAA makes it look much smoother, even considering tree motion.

I have the same card and run it on medium. What is the rest of your laptop like? Might try high settings then if I get decent fps.

cHinzo

I don't understand cargo train stations. Tooltip says there should be less trucks on my roads but it just seems to add more of them instead.

Those cargo train stations poops out tons of trucks. Prefer the cargo ships more tbh.

I have the same card and run it on medium. What is the rest of your laptop like? Might try high settings then if I get decent fps.

i7-4700HQ, 8GB DDR3-1600 (dual-channel), a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO as the lone system drive.

It's an Asus gaming laptop, by the way. Might have something to do with the cooling system? Also, note that for games like this I find 15-20 fps to be perfectly acceptable.

Klyka

Banned

cargo stations are like transporters for cargo basically.

Say 1 train can carry 50 trucks worth of cargo.
If you wanted to bring that cargo to another city, 50 trucks would drive across your roads to their destination.
With the cargo station,they will instead drive to the station and load the cargo into a train, the train will bring it to the end station and then the trucks will bring the cargo from the end station to their end destination.

So basically you are removing trucks from all the roads that lie between their start and destination, but you still have them on the roads between start->station 1 and station 2 -> destination.

Shahadan

cargo stations are like transporters for cargo basically.

Say 1 train can carry 50 trucks worth of cargo.
If you wanted to bring that cargo to another city, 50 trucks would drive across your roads to their destination.
With the cargo station,they will instead drive to the station and load the cargo into a train, the train will bring it to the end station and then the trucks will bring the cargo from the end station to their end destination.

So basically you are removing trucks from all the roads that lie between their start and destination, but you still have them on the roads between start->station 1 and station 2 -> destination.

ooooh all right, thank you. I just assumed the trains themselves went to the other cities so I didn't get why I got trucks everywhere. I'm tired but I can't stop playing @_@

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

See my post here:

Protip: Be aware of your industrial sectors and how they are linked by train. I have 3 main sectors of industry, and before they would all be linked by train in every direction. But then I noticed that some cargo trucks were going all the way across town to export their goods via the highway instead of dropping off their cargo at the perfectly fine train station right next to them.

What I noticed is that the train station wasn't focused on exporting goods. It was focused on transporting any intermediate goods from one industry sector to another, which wasn't necessary. Those intra-city trains would only be carrying 10% cargo from one industry section to another.

So, what I did was delete my triangle train track intersection things, so that all my train stations only had a route to the outside, and no way to interact with each other. This set their behavior to export only. Then, all my cargo trucks went to the nearest train station to export goods and my efficiency went up by a lot.

HOWEVER

That is not to say that all cargo train communication within your city is bad. It is probably inefficient if you don't have any specialization industry, but if you do, then intra-city train communication can be very efficient too, as long as it doesn't interrupt your communication between regular industry sectors (if you have more than one).

Since you can't choose where specialized industry will be due to the placement of resources, it's likely that your forestry industry, for example, will be in a separate location than your regular industry.

Your industry supply chain works like this:

1. You mine ore/pump oil/cut trees/farm produce with your specialized industry gatherer buildings.

2. They transport the raw materials to the secondary specialized industry buildings for processing. This is usually not a problem since processing buildings usually spawn right next to the gathering buildings too. (or they export the raw materials if you don't have enough secondary buildings to process it all)

3.The secondary processing buildings then transport their intermediary materials to regular industry for final processing. (or they export the intermediary materials if you don't have enough regular industry to process it all)

4. Your regular industry accepts the secondary materials, and creates the finalized goods that are then shipped to your commercial areas (or they export the finalized goods if you have more than your commercial zones can accept)

Without any train connection to each other, your specialized industry takes the intermediary materials to the regular industry for final processing by truck. It's not so bad if your specialized industry is close to your regular industry. However, it can become a problem if your specialized industry is far away from your regular industry. It can become a big problem if those trucks have to pass through any road bottlenecks, or through any residential areas.

This is where the train comes in. Have your specialized industry be connected to your regular industry by train. The specialized industry takes the secondary materials to the train, the train then takes those materials to your regular industry, bypassing all the traffic, and then trucks at the train station unload the secondary materials to your regular industry for final processing.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Regarding cargo trains, should I be concerned if the railway system is at an almost complete standstill with train-traffic-jams as far as the eye can see? Do I need to lay more track to alleviate the pressure or does the system work differently to the road-traffic?

Unai

Well, I've learned something very interesting.

I have a city of 25k people or so. I put the zone in this screenshot near a populated district, but without a road leading to it. I've set a metro station and some pedestrian paths, and outside of the circle only a crematorium and a landfill.

And it got populated! Almost no cars at all in the streets. So good. I wouldn't even need such large streets.

cities_2015_03_15_05_v6ogh.png

jwhit28

Will it be impossible to have massive building packs from steam workshop? Picking and choosing individual buildings isn't ideal.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well, I've learned something very interesting.

I have a city of 25k people or so. I put the zone in this screenshot near a populated district, but without a road leading to it. I've set a metro station and some pedestrian paths, and outside of the circle only a crematorium and a landfill.

And it got populated! Almost no cars at all in the streets. So good. I wouldn't even need such large streets.

cities_2015_03_15_05_v6ogh.png

Yeah, it's one of the recent criticisms of the game how you can even completely cut off access to your residential, and they'll still be fine.

Linius

i7-4700HQ, 8GB DDR3-1600 (dual-channel), a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO as the lone system drive.

It's an Asus gaming laptop, by the way. Might have something to do with the cooling system? Also, note that for games like this I find 15-20 fps to be perfectly acceptable.

i74702MQ, 8GB DDR-3 1600 (dual) and an HHD here. MSI GE40, so basically around the same specs.

Currently playing in medium settings, distant view set to far and I get around 30 to 50 FPS depending on how much is going on at the screen. Guess I'll see what high looks like then.

steelersrock01

Neo Member
Is there any way to make the text in the UI larger? I can barely read it without leaning forward and squinting.

Nevermind I found a mod, here if anyones having the same problem

Fourth attempt is even more nice! Different map, by the way.

This city has over 50,000 residents and is earning money at 15,000 per week, using a universal tax rate of 11%. The traffic can get a bit heavy, especially at the initial highway connection, but the traffic is still flowing, so who cares? One of the things I've learned with city sims with actual traffic is that it's OK to have heavy traffic, so long as it's still flowing.

This city is four-tiles large. I wonder how big can I get? My bank is fat, anyway.

Tugatrix

Is it normal the amount of money you make fluctuate so much? At a time I can be making 1k and in the next I drop to -1k what am I doing wrong?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
but won't they be unable to get services or go to school?

Their house might burn down, but getting to school doesn't matter. The school simulation is like the work simulation: They can never be late. It doesn't matter if their commute takes 5 minutes or 5 days. If their route in inaccessible, they teleport to school.

Sinistral

I hope to see some of these mods adopted into official patches, and these patches continue work out the kinks. Some mods would be amazing for just quality of life for the player. Experiencing these bugs and poorly balanced systems have really killed my urge to further my city. It's become a bit too easy. Went balls to the wall the first few days with the game as it is an amazing foundation but it needs to mature some.

Raven77

Can we get an official MOD / WORKSHOP topic going for people to talk about different things on the workshop, post their creations, and discuss everything mod related?

Also, just a general question. I keep downloading all these different buildings, fire stations, power plants, etc. What does it actually do though? Does it just give the game more options when it randomly creates houses in the "residential district"? I know you don't play individual houses but i've downloaded like 40 different homes for the Cims. Does the game just have more in its library to choose from when randomly generating these?

Grief.exe

Regarding cargo trains, should I be concerned if the railway system is at an almost complete standstill with train-traffic-jams as far as the eye can see? Do I need to lay more track to alleviate the pressure or does the system work differently to the road-traffic?

Make sure you have a completely separate track for your commuter/tourism train system. Also, make sure you have a second line allowing for your cargo trains to export their goods to the outside.

From Rentahamster's post, it sounds like it is a good idea to have all of your cargo trains connected, but also beneficial to allow them to go outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom