• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ok, here is the road design layout I've been working on.

I haven't tested it yet on a wide scale, but it essentially keeps traffic moving at all times in your city.

This is a paired down version for simplicity, just using one block for each road segment. In reality, I would probably use 2-3 blocks for each segment. Since this is paired down, you may also notice that the citizens living on the outside will be able to feed back into the system, will be naturally taken care of as you expand the system out.

You have some one ways leading into a two way, like on the bottom right corner. That means the lane going down on that two way will never be used. You might as well have that one be a one way too.

I hit 80K population just now on my city, and I'm also printing money and have a massive cash
hoard
. Hehe.

They don't know that the city is being run by a froofy, fruity batwyvern yet.

I just hope my airport placement doesn't later bite me back in the butt if they decide to implement height restrictions around the airport...

Exuro

Everyone in my town died....and then i realized I had water pumps downstream from my sewage pipes... it was too late.

Heh that was really fun for my first attempt. I did a terrible job handling traffic as I was only using the regular roads. Getting a good grip on planning earlier on though. Was doing pretty well up until I needed more water and put them in after the sewage drains.

Everyone in my town died....and then i realized I had water pumps downstream from my sewage pipes... it was too late.

Heh that was really fun for my first attempt. I did a terrible job handling traffic as I was only using the regular roads. Getting a good grip on planning earlier on though. Was doing pretty well up until I needed more water and put them in after the sewage drains.

Sometimes it makes me wonder why do so many instances of "accidentally pumping up sewage" happens in this game, hehe.

Grief.exe

You have some one ways leading into a two way, like on the bottom right corner. That means the lane going down on that two way will never be used. You might as well have that one be a one way too.

Just trying to simplify this to an extremely paired down form. For a downtown area, I would double or triple the size of this system.

Difficult to explain, but here is an example for an ending piece. Periodically have one ways leading back into the main system.

NmGRb5x.jpg

just tried the Venice map from quill (the streamer) he put up on the workshop. I wanted to know if you can use the whole area, surround it with dams and pump out all the water... Guess what:

before:
6x3rookvofhw3ycmqsv9ol2scz.jpg

after:
6x3rwx3t8deljvsjyeohagjsuu.jpg
Amazing!

Funfact: Ground thats under water will become sand. Sand thats got no more water over it will turn back to grass.

Corgi

Banned

i've had 1 city die from water poisoning 3 times so far. spend half an hour bulldozing abandon buildings, and eventually people will move back lol

Exuro

i've had 1 city die from water poisoning 3 times so far. spend half an hour bulldozing abandon buildings, and eventually people will move back lol
heh all of my districts were sick, so I was just building hospitals like crazy instead of looking for the root problem. Then half the town was dead and I just didn't have the resource to deal with it. That and my town wasn't built very well so I might as well start over with my new learned knowledge.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Finally figured out how to work with one way lanes correctly haha. This game is fantastic. I am 30k plus so far, profiting about 15k, and started building my commercial/financial/office district. Activated the big business policy and hi tech housing. Built the first metro as well! This game is just too damn good! This is what I wanted from SC!! It's leagues better! Oh and the mods.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
just tried the Venice map from quill (the streamer) he put up on the workshop. I wanted to know if you can use the whole area, surround it with dams and pump out all the water... Guess what:

Amazing!

Funfact: Ground thats under water will become sand. Sand thats got no more water over it will turn back to grass.

I only know of one other game that has fluid simulation to that extent, can't think of the name at the moment, it was an rts, indie level project.

Finally figured out how to work with one way lanes correctly haha. This game is fantastic. I am 30k plus so far, profiting about 15k, and started building my commercial/financial/office district. Activated the big business policy and hi tech housing. Built the first metro as well! This game is just too damn good! This is what I wanted from SC!! It's leagues better! Oh and the mods.

I'd love some insight, not very good with one way roads...

Seiru

Banned
I must really suck at this game, because apparently I can't even use a premade intersection correctly

http://i.imgur.com/qInFJph.jpg

As you can see, I'm getting a lot of highway unconnected errors, and I can't figure out why. I double checked that I didn't have any one-ways connected the wrong way, etc...I just can't figure it out.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I must really suck at this game, because apparently I can't even use a premade intersection correctly

As you can see, I'm getting a lot of highway unconnected errors, and I can't figure out why. I double checked that I didn't have any one-ways connected the wrong way, etc...I just can't figure it out.

looks like a right hand drive highway stuck on a left hand drive game, or vice versa.

Tainted

Does anyone find it annoying when forming a grid road system, you just can't drag across multiple intersections in one motion....you need to do each individual block at a time.

Or maybe there's a keyboard shortcut I'm missing ?

One-ways go in the direction you drag them, so you're dragging in the wrong direction. There's already a mod that makes it so you can change one-ways after being built.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

Highway roads are like one way roads, you have to draw it in the direction you want it to go.

Looks like you have some road blocks heading to others, buldoze them and redraw it in the right direction.

Seiru

Banned
One-ways go in the direction you drag them, so you're dragging in the wrong direction. There's already a mod that makes it so you can change one-ways after being built.

Yep, this was the problem. I had to delete a bit of the existing highway before I put the premade intersection down, and then must have dragged the wrong way afterwards to hook it back up.

Piecake

I am interested in this game because I really like city builders, but am concerned whether on not my laptop can play it, specifically my graphics card

AMD Radeon HD 7690M

I checked at apparently it meets the 'minimum' requirements, but barely. How can I expect it to actually run though? I am not looking for specifics. I just don't want to buy the game and be forced to put it on the lowest settings and have it chug along at 10 fps.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I am interested in this game because I really like city builders, but am concerned whether on not my laptop can play it, specifically my graphics card

AMD Radeon HD 7690M

I checked at apparently it meets the 'minimum' requirements, but barely. How can I expect it to actually run though? I am not looking for specifics. I just don't want to buy the game and be forced to put it on the lowest settings and have it chug along at 10 fps.

What is your laptop CPU? that's more important. That Graphics card will do OK, but you will have to lower in game settings.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I'd love some insight, not very good with one way roads...

Well I am using them to build the "commercial district" of my city. I am basically making several grids where traffic goes one way and then another. First southwards, then eastwards, then northward again, then eastward, southward once more, then I switch it up with a westward one way road that connects to a northward one, etc.

Its kinda hard to explain, but the idea is that wherever you drag your mouse when laying the road is where the traffic will go.

Suikoguy

Oh shit, already? Awesome

Well I am using them to build the "commercial district" of my city. I am basically making several grids where traffic goes one way and then another. First southwards, then eastwards, then northward again, then eastward, southward once more, then I switch it up with a westward one way road that connects to a northward one, etc.

Its kinda hard to explain, but the idea is that wherever you drag your mouse when laying the road is where the traffic will go.

Yeah, going to experiment with a similar method next city. Should be interesting :)

Linius

Icetown sitting at 16500 pop now. Got over half a million in the bank. Next time gonna give my public transport a complete make-over to get some cars off the road.

Also while nosing around my town to see what my cims are up to I decided to check out the cars in a parking lot. Turns out this lady was actually at home while her car was parked on the other side of town
p1kx90C.png

Suikoguy

It's the full 25 :p

Very nice, so glad they allowed modding for 25, it allows you to do what you did with your City. I still have to get over my everything must be bunched together phobia.

DrSlek

In a bid to solve my congestion woes, I placed what is essentially a traffic circle/roundabout on the highway....dear god it's perfection! There's just a constant stream of traffic with no hold-ups or stops.

The only time it couldn't cope was when I placed a cargo port on the other side of my city to the industrial sectors, and every heavy vehicle was making a bee-line right through the highway to reach the port.

Solution: Strategically place the port somewhere else closer to the industrial zones!

I've now replaced every interchange on the highway with roundabouts.

kaskade

I gotta say in enjoying this game. I've never played any sim city style game before. It's interesting learning little tips as I go to build a more efficient city. I didn't realize in the beginning that I could use one pipe for the sewage and waste. I gotta read some of the descriptions better. Next I'm going to try and get traffic working better. That entrance was getting really backed up until I demolished it and put a larger road. I can see sinking some serious time into this game.

Durante

Up to 72k now.

255710_2015-03-15_0001yuq5.jpg

After trying circles it was now time for octagons. Works out pretty well (this is all max density):
255710_2015-03-15_000ybua4.jpg

Next up: Triangles!

Suikoguy

In a bid to solve my congestion woes, I placed what is essentially a traffic circle/roundabout on the highway....dear god it's perfection! There's just a constant stream of traffic with no hold-ups or stops.

The only time it couldn't cope was when I placed a cargo port on the other side of my city to the industrial sectors, and every heavy vehicle was making a bee-line right through the highway to reach the port.

Solution: Strategically place the port somewhere else closer to the industrial zones!

A couple of alternatives you might also try:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=405871039

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406284792

I love the way the second one looks.

Edit: I think the second one might be improved by having half the on-ramps on the inside of the roundabout.

Linius

In the Netherlands we actually have a roundabout on a highway. But they're going to change it now since it's a pretty odd situation in real life.

Blizzard

Banned
Hey guys. Let me begin by saying I'm really enjoying this game but I seem to have encountered a bug where I can't load or continue my game. All of my save games appear in Content Manager however, no saves appear in the Load Game menu. The game allows me to select Continue Game but clicking it does nothing. Does anyone know of any solutions?
I don't know the answer but I wanted to quote your post in case anyone else does. Did you find any solution?

HigXx

Really liking this, my very first small town seems to be going well. Im horrible at making curved roads however, I don't think I understand how to make them

Mr.Mike

So I had some pent up demand for all three zoning types, and built a new mining/foresting village. After I had done so suddenly I had a bunch of trouble with property values and a bunch of houses got abandoned.

There might be a supply/demand aspect to land value? Of course I ultimately fixed it by upping my education budget, so that might have been it.

Piecake

Might have problems with large cities :(

It's a dual core, and on the lower end of the speed spectrum.

Thanks, I think I'll sit this one out until my laptop dies and I need to go buy a new one. Having the game chug to the point of unplayability when the city actually gets good just sounds frustraiting.

I think 100 square kilometres? But not 100% sure on that.

Would be crazy to have like 500 square km. Think it's possible?

I watch some crazy Sim City 4 vids where everything is maximized or perfected. Literally years of work. I cant wait to see something like that for C:S

Suikoguy

I think the 25 title limit is fairly hard-coded. I don't think you will see anything allowing that to be surpassed anytime soon.

Kabouter

Would be crazy to have like 500 square km. Think it's possible?

I watch some crazy Sim City 4 vids where everything is maximized or perfected. Literally years of work. I cant wait to see something like that for C:S

I'm not a programmer so I couldn't tell you definitively, but I can't imagine you'd be able to get satisfactory performance on maps that big filled up with stuff. This all aside from the fact that there is apparently already a hardcoded limit on the number of trees, which would be something you'd definitely run into way early on a map five times bigger than what you have now after mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom