• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
M43PIPB.jpg

I know I am a noob but any suggestions? I know its not symmetrical but its my first city builder and I finally got to this happy point.

Can't...unsee...heiroglyphs of people giving.....blowjobs...

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Is there a downside to using the three lane roads over the two lane ones? Aside from maintenance I assume?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Got to around 55k, and now my city stagnates. I have good service coverage of about anything, but the citizens neither have any demand, nor can I substantially raise any build demand by further increasing the situation with parks and such.

Ideas? Really no clue what to do about this, since I will just lose citizens without a way to get them back up.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Got to around 55k, and now my city stagnates. I have good service coverage of about anything, but the citizens neither have any demand, nor can I substantially raise any build demand by further increasing the situation with parks and such.

Ideas? Really no clue what to do about this, since I will just lose citizens without a way to get them back up.

Are you aware of the park bug?

markot

Banned

Lower the taxes Obama!

Divvy

Not as far as I can tell. It's got more capacity, and takes up the same amount of space.

Thanks.

145k pop in my city of "Choorono"

It's starting to get really difficult as I'm not getting enough raw materials from the outside world to cover my population. I had to build some satellite boroughs for specialized industries, but traffic problems have increased significantly as the distance between the population centres increased. Tried some experiments in traffic routing to mixed success, but overall, it's starting to look pretty impressive to me. I hope to fill all 25 squares, but it's going to be a big challenge.

I don't know the answer but I wanted to quote your post in case anyone else does. Did you find any solution?
Sorry for the late reply but I haven't. I searched the entire Paradox Skylines forum and found quite a few other people with the same problem but still no solution. Hopefully it gets fixed soon! My 26,000 pop. city was really becoming a metropolis!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This doesn't seem to work for me. The road I want to "snap" just attempts to cross over the curved road and is invalid.

Are you sure you're using Freeform and not the Curve tool maybe? I haven't tried this method myself, but it seems pretty straightforward. Only other thing I can think of is elevation issues?

U2NUMB

So still fairly early but something is frustrating me.. Garbage... so why does a landfill only seem to go in one direction for pickup? I have a corner which is industrial.. I put a landfill right next to it and it shows green in every direction but the one I need it to. How do you adjust the routes for the trucks?

Spl1nter

So still fairly early but something is frustrating me.. Garbage... so why does a landfill only seem to go in one direction for pickup? I have a corner which is industrial.. I put a landfill right next to it and it shows green in every direction but the one I need it to. How do you adjust the routes for the trucks?

One way road? It changes the effectiveness of services.

My city is almost completely stagnant right now. Its at 130k and there is no demand except for a tiny sliver of industry/office and 150-300 people a day immigrating.

Ya no

This game looks so awesome. if only I had something that could run it...... until then browsing this thread will have to do

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Are you aware of the park bug?

Partially, basically parks fill the need for commercial, but why would that lead to no residential need anymore?
And is there a way to avoid it?

U2NUMB

One way road? It changes the effectiveness of services.

My city is almost completely stagnant right now. Its at 130k and there is no demand except for a tiny sliver of industry/office and 150-300 people a day immigrating.

Hummm good question, that might be it.. yikes... time to start over lol

Divvy

Are there any tips on maximizing imports? My industry and my commercial buildings are always complaining about not enough resources or goods

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Don't three lane roads start creating traffic lights at intersections while the two lane ones don't?

I was assuming that when he was saying "two lane" and "three lane" he meant "four lane" and "six lane" since there aren't any 3 lane roads. But you're right, yeah, the roads that are 3 cells thick create traffic lights, unless there is a one way road leading out of it, or if the end of it splits evenly into two one-way roads.

Divvy

I was assuming that when he was saying "two lane" and "three lane" he meant "four lane" and "six lane" since there aren't any 3 lane roads. But you're right, yeah, the roads that are 3 cells thick create traffic lights, unless there is a one way road leading out of it, or if the end of it splits evenly into two one-way roads.

Yeah I meant, four and six lane

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Are there any tips on maximizing imports? My industry and my commercial buildings are always complaining about not enough resources or goods

Using cargo harbors and train harbors to import goods, as well as your highways allows you to import much more quickly.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Any input? There will be steam gift prizes, of course :)

Hey everyone, if any of you remember, I did a contest shortly after Banished came out, and it went over pretty well, I think.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788912

I think I'll do the same thing for this game. What do you think the goal for the challenge should be? Highest population? I think that might be too easy, though. One thing I'm considering is seeing who can get the highest industry export numbers, since that requires a really good road network, unlike population.

What do you think the rules should be? I want to say no gameplay altering mods (UI and aesthetic are ok), and no ploppable assets (RCI growables are fine since you can't alter their stats).

Should there be a gametime limit? For example, you can't run your city past the year 2050?

Amzin

I've managed to fuck up even the external highway lol

Haha, here I was micromanaging infrastructure upgrades to my tiny city and I've never even seen that shade of red yet :p

This is my mostly unplanned, weird sprawly first city still. Around 12k people I think. It's doing pretty well overall but I've had to totally remove and redo some roads in the interest of trying to get fire/dump trucks to places.

Edit: Fear my basic lack of understanding of exits/onramps! Despite living in a city heavily utilizing them in real life~

I prefer to just do "never go back and upgrade previous residential and commercial areas to higher density or road sizes". Gives the city a bit of a charm, with a "small residences" feel on a part, while the rest of the city is, well, filled with high-rises.

How did you get around 7K a week, anyway? You could do a lot better if you set your tax rates to 11% if it's below that.

The thing is, it is all highrises. Like, fully upgraded residential, business, and commercial zones. And I can't build fast enough.

I really need to look into civic planning now.

EDIT: Also, I am getting sick of looking at the same buildings over and over again. I also need to look into building mods.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Are you sure you're using Freeform and not the Curve tool maybe? I haven't tried this method myself, but it seems pretty straightforward. Only other thing I can think of is elevation issues?

I am using Freeform... I think.

Although as far as I'm aware freeform feels a lot like curve.

After four bankrupt cities, I've finally have a successful city going. It's about 6k people at the moment. But the moment I starting having a successful city, I didn't want to stop playing. I was starting to get a little discouraged after the 4th failed city.

Hopefully people start bundling building mods. Too cumbersome going through all of them one by one.

Has anyone made any vehicle model mods for the traffic in this game yet? I feel like there's a bit of a contrast between the art of the vehicles and the buildings that I'm not too much of a fan of.

Enzio

Up to around 45k in my second city. Everyone's layouts are WAY more impressive than mine. I basically just have a giant grid system over a few tiles. It's working so far, but I'm seeing some limitations since I didn't know about resource harvesting, my map doesn't allow for a harbor, etc. I'm sort of attached to this city because I love seeing it grow, but I feel like I should move to city 3 with what I've learned.

How come my skyscrapers don't look as impressive as other peoples'? They still look fairly short and generic in my game.

Josh7289

The only time when I dont have time to rave about the game is when I play it. So much still to try/unlock/learn and fiddle with.

<3

6 hours in now and loving it. This game is awesome. More dynamics are opening up; I'm fumbling my way through traffic engineering right now. I also have a new appreciation for everything that goes into building a city and keeping it running in real life too hahaha

manfestival

here is to show those that were interested how my city system was going to work
tJSjy3h.jpg

My highway is totally screwed though. Not sure what to do with it. Every time I tinker with it, I get screwed worse. The bottom part is about 60% done so the traffic situation may get worse as time progresses.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
After four bankrupt cities, I've finally have a successful city going. It's about 6k people at the moment. But the moment I starting having a successful city, I didn't want to stop playing. I was starting to get a little discouraged after the 4th failed city.

Hopefully people start bundling building mods. Too cumbersome going through all of them one by one.

Steam does have collections that can help keep them organized.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
My highway is totally screwed though. Not sure what to do with it. Every time I tinker with it, I get screwed worse. The bottom part is about 60% done so the traffic situation may get worse as time progresses.

I'm not an expert but basically think of it like a circulatory system. That's how I do, at least. You don't want to come straight off the highway onto a road that's got buildings on it. You want to come off the highway onto a smaller trunk road, and then you have one-way roads leading off that road, and then you have buildings on the roads that those one-way roads connect to. Unless your roads are coming off a highway into a residential area, then it's mostly okay to not do it like that, since traffic flow into residential areas is never that huge.

here is to show those that were interested how my city system was going to work
tJSjy3h.jpg

You've gotta incentivize other routes. My cheap trick is to make a one-way inbound road to the industrial area, which will alleviate a lot of turning congestion and general traffic on the main road. Depending on how it's done, the same trick can work for outbound freight.

Once you get public transit you can probably elminate (or heavily reduce) the cloggage with good route planning.

spiritfox

I find the number 1 cause of traffic jams in my city to be delivery trucks for my dense commercial zones. At least with industrial I tend to build it outside of residential areas and near main arteries, but commercial I like to plonk it right in the middle of town. It doesn't help that they all run out of goods at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom