• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm OK with just one tile and perfectly fine with what I cam do with that.

I really like working with a 3x3 city.

I shudder at the thought of a 5x5 city...can a laptop quad-core i7 handle it? Even at 80K and 3x3 I'm beginning to notice a slowdown in simulation speed.

I'm not a programmer so I couldn't tell you definitively, but I can't imagine you'd be able to get satisfactory performance on maps that big filled up with stuff. This all aside from the fact that there is apparently already a hardcoded limit on the number of trees, which would be something you'd definitely run into way early on a map five times bigger than what you have now after mods.

I think the 25 title limit is fairly hard-coded. I don't think you will see anything allowing that to be surpassed anytime soon.

:(

I wonder if they'll lift some hardcoded stuff. The tree limit hopefully at least gets upped significantly

Linius

I'm OK with just one tile and perfectly fine with what I cam do with that.

I really like working with a 3x3 city.

I shudder at the thought of a 5x5 city...can a laptop quad-core i7 handle it? Even at 80K and 3x3 I'm beginning to notice a slowdown in simulation speed.

We're in the same boat performance wise. For now I'll stick to nine tiles.

Josh7289

All right, I'm going to take a chance on this game. I've never really played a city simulator but I've always been interested. I was going to try the new SimCity until it was released and had all those problems.

EDIT: Forgot to actually post this earlier, but I bought the game and am enjoying it so far, but at only two hours in I know I've probably only scratched the surface. So far so good though! Thanks for keeping this thread alive and constantly reminding me about the game, everyone.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
All right, I'm going to take a chance on this game. I've never really played a city simulator but I've always been interested. I was going to try the new SimCity until it was released and had all those problems.

EDIT: Forgot to actually post this earlier, but I bought the game and am enjoying it so far, but at only two hours in I know I've probably only scratched the surface. So far so good though! Thanks for keeping this thread alive and constantly reminding me about the game, everyone.

The only time when I dont have time to rave about the game is when I play it. So much still to try/unlock/learn and fiddle with.

<3

Mayjaplaya

Neo Member
So I decided to start a district with a road system inspired by those gifs on the "Gaming the Game" thread. I wonder if it works with Residential/Commercial zoning.

af6dcc744d.png

I have a couple of crash logs the game helpfully saved before crashing to desktop. It suggests sending them to the devs, but I don't actually know where to send them to--anyone have any ideas? Might just post in the tech support forums if no one here knows.

My city's a little stuck at about 53k people, though part of that is likely because I can't seem to play for much longer than half an hour before weird issues start cropping up or the game crashes. Screenies:

0w9r5Ufl.jpg

xJXXrMIl.jpg

And because I couldn't resist when I saw the plane:

iSCH0S2l.jpg

fedexpeon

Banned
Man, unlocking the courthouse was a bitch.
Took over 30mins of trial and error into zoning enough workers to keep the industry running, while making them mad with high tax and unemployment rate.

Seriously, they need to lower the crime rate to 15-20% or something to get the achievement/unlock.
There is no such thing as a 40% rate in any broken ass city.
Even Detroit isn't that bad.

This actually defuse traffic?
It looks like there will be a lot of stops.

It's the same number of stops as a normal grid layout, but the cars will use lanes more effectively, thus raising the effective capacity of the whole system. At least, if I understand the diagrams correctly.

Is there a way to test this on a computer without buying it? I want to know if my 2011 Macbook Air can run it on lowest settings.
I just tried on my 2010 MacBook Pro and I needed to turn everything off and the resolution to 320x240 (via a mod) to achieve 60fps for an empty field. That's in osx though, it should run better if bootcamped.

DrSlek

Took over 30mins of trial and error into zoning enough workers to keep the industry running, while making them mad with high tax and unemployment rate.

Seriously, they need to lower the crime rate to 15-20% or something to get the achievement/unlock.

I discovered that I had to have 1000 abandoned buildings in my city for 5 weeks in order to unlock the observatory. I kicked up taxes for all zones to max and financially crippled myself. But at least it's unlocked for my other games now!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It's the same number of stops as a normal grid layout, but the cars will use lanes more effectively, thus raising the effective capacity of the whole system. At least, if I understand the diagrams correctly.

Correct, it takes advantage of the path-finding AI always using the turning lane no mater how far along it plans to turn.

I'm hoping a mod can randomize the path-finding a bit to fix this, but it's above my programming ability.

Onyar

I can't remember the last time I played so much continuously with a game.

You always could find a reason to stay with the game: buldoze a burned house, set more clinics, oh now there's a demand of residencial, oh now let me check this traffic problem... Omg it's 5 am!

antonz

After jumping in on Sim City at launch and being totally destroyed by how poor it was this game is so good. Working on making some unique buildings and such for fun. Almost have a St. Peters Basilica done. Need to work out the kinks

New difficulty mod!! (Work in progress)

This one adds an amazing new feature:

'Added a "work buffer" to residential buildings, every time a worker leaves for work it goes down, when the worker reaches work it goes up. Takes some time but if the residents keep failing to reach work the house should start showing "No resources". Houses with this will get abandoned after awhile and have no tax accumulation. Also if I understand it correctly this won't apply to existing buildings, only new buildings after the mod is loaded. '

In addition:

• Increased the traffic disappear timeout for service vehicles/cars from 150/100 to 450/450.
  • Increased the number of residents who travel to offices. Should be tripled, but not sure if working correctly.
  • Removed progression milestone cash reward.
  • Increased construction costs (especially highways, subways, and wonders).
  • Increased maintenance costs by 40%.
  • Increased chance of Cims using their car.
  • Greatly increased unlock price and allow 25 tiles.
  • Increased tax rate effect on happiness.

It is very evident that as great of a city builder this game may be, it lacks severely in the simulation aspect. This mod makes the whole teleport to work thing a little tougher to do, while seemingly adding a consequence to the timelessness of cims in this game that don't run on any sort of schedule.

I am in love with the idea of residential buffers that make successfully going to work feel like an actually important feature, and forcing players to ensure the simulation works properly

manfestival

this is my first city sim since maybe ever? This is my third city and so far I think things are going pretty well. my first city fell sick and died from everyone getting sick and the population grew too fast for my income. I have taken things slower and gotten something that I think is working

opinions on what to do? Also, I know I am not symmetrical, SORRY IF MY CITY HURTS YOUR EYES!
n035yo8.jpg

Spl1nter

I am guessing that there was more planned for the unique buildings but they didn't have time to add it like a number of other things (tourism) by release. From what I can tell they have no discernible effects (happiness? definitely nothing on land value or leisure) other than visual and maintenance costs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Suddenly I find myself learning about Fused Grids. This game is pretty awesome :)

That's one of the decent strategies that was effective in SimCity in order to reduce traffic congestion. I'm using it in my current city of 180K and trying to find the best repeatable pattern with the highest density.

'Added a "work buffer" to residential buildings, every time a worker leaves for work it goes down, when the worker reaches work it goes up. Takes some time but if the residents keep failing to reach work the house should start showing "No resources". Houses with this will get abandoned after awhile and have no tax accumulation. Also if I understand it correctly this won't apply to existing buildings, only new buildings after the mod is loaded. '

In addition:

• Increased the traffic disappear timeout for service vehicles/cars from 150/100 to 450/450.
  • Increased the number of residents who travel to offices. Should be tripled, but not sure if working correctly.

It is very evident that as great of a city builder this game may be, it lacks severely in the simulation aspect. This mod makes the whole teleport to work thing a little tougher to do, while seemingly adding a consequence to the timelessness of cims in this game that don't run on any sort of schedule.

I am in love with the idea of residential buffers that make successfully going to work feel like an actually important feature, and forcing players to ensure the simulation works properly
That sounds awesome.

You run out of things to do very quickly. I reached 100,000 population and my city seems self sufficient at this point.

Sometimes you just have to create your own fun. I'm not saying you haven't created it before. Pause the game, and build wildly. 'Fake' uncontrollable urban growth. Build slums and lay out roads and buildings as wildly as you can. Build a huge area. Then unpause the game and deal with everything that's gonna come in real time, no pauses.

I'll do that later in my own city. Kinda simulating growth in my hometown, Lisbon, in the latter half on the 20th century.

Shahadan

I think some of the unlocks are actually supposed to be challenges/puzzles to solve. Some almost require a city designed for it, especially the negative ones.

Which is an amazing idea imo.
I thought that one was easy though.

I think some of the unlocks are actually supposed to be challenges/puzzles to solve. Some almost require a city designed for it, especially the negative ones.

Which is an amazing idea imo.
I thought that one was easy though.

Yeah. I am most likely in the minority, but I love metagaming rewards like that.

antonz

I am guessing that there was more planned for the unique buildings but they didn't have time to add it like a number of other things (tourism) by release. From what I can tell they have no discernible effects (happiness? definitely nothing on land value or leisure) other than visual and maintenance costs.

Yeah I would wager Tourism is intended to be a bigger thing

I can't seem to get a city off the ground. I get just a small residential, industrial and commercial district up and running and everything seems fine. But before long, my budget goes to shit and people start leaving. I tweak my economy but I always go in the red and the bailout doesn't even help for long. Demand for various zones drop and I'm dead.

Any basic ideas?

jwhit28

I can't seem to get a city off the ground. I get just a small residential, industrial and commercial district up and running and everything seems fine. But before long, my budget goes to shit and people start leaving. I tweak my economy but I always go in the red and the bailout doesn't even help for long. Demand for various zones drop and I'm dead.

Any basic ideas?

Build VERY slow. Only a small block as needed.

Sometimes you just have to create your own fun. I'm not saying you haven't created it before. Pause the game, and build wildly. 'Fake' uncontrollable urban growth. Build slums and lay out roads and buildings as wildly as you can. Build a huge area. Then unpause the game and deal with everything that's gonna come in real time, no pauses.

I'll do that later in my own city. Kinda simulating growth in my hometown, Lisbon, in the latter half on the 20th century.

It's a flaw in the game, but it's given a pass because Colossal has to start somewhere, and somewhere is a pretty good start. So many people are also so burned by Sim City, and it's just good to see a new IP with so much promise and a solid, but basic foundation.

To be honest, I feel like they show their experience with the city building aspect--roads are clearly the biggest puzzle piece here, but the actual simulation and depth of management is not there. I'm glad mod support can pick up on this, but I hope Colossal makes some of these mods official while expanding gameplay themselves. As much as I am excited for new aesthetics/buildings and all that, I so want to focus on the microcosm of running a city.

Maybe it's because I suck at the creative expanses of building a city-- you guys make me embarrassed to even play this game, because I can't make the beautiful cities you do, but I need that experience of balancing the life of my cims, providing services, and balancing a chain of variables before expanding. I want that feeling of "well I can't improve this shitty condition, but it's necessary for the greater good" (such as having a district that is uneducated and crime ridden, but is necessary to reduce upkeep costs of roads/pipes, simulating a basic idea of a diverse society that relies on low and middle class citizens to be successful).

A pure Utopia is not my idea of city builders, especially when it feels as easily achievable as it does in this game.

Sometimes I wonder where we would be if Sim City wasn't screwed over and did everything right. I really miss how that game made me feel like an actual mayor, instead of just an urban planner.

I think mods like disabling the free money you get when upgrading, and this new "city buffer" mod are two examples of greatly creating something awesome from what is already available in the game, but I'm hoping Colossal themselves expand features to include courts, prisons, weather, etc.

I get so excited looking at where a game like XCOM is now with the Long War mod and hope to see C:S expand into that complexity.

spiritfox

In addition:

I love how this game is not even out for a week and mods like this are already out. NAM took years to get going.

I really need a realistic scale total conversion.

I so very much hate that 20 story high rises house 20 households, and a single floor house holds 3 households. And why are office buildings rather flat while commercial buildings become skyscrapers? That's kind of bckward.
:(

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406841580&searchtext=

I personally talked about this earlier in the thread, meanwhile a mod hss come out that has me extremely happy! I really like the population count here. A former SimCity dev also posted a comment in that link!

It's using the Simcity (2013) calculation method, but I truly like the numbers and find them believable.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=405941263&searchtext=

And here's an adjustable demand mod. Adjusts all RCI at once. Can temporarily fix the park -> no commercial demand bug.

Sorry if these have been posted, I'm on page 81 now only, I'll read the remaining pages now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh god my PC is starting to chug. On max speed, every day takes 8 seconds to complete. The rest of my Haswell E parts can't come soon enough...

Cushen

Neo Member
It's a sad day when you realize your little 2010 MacBook Pro isn't capable of running a city sim. Maybe it's time to retire this old goat.

manfestival

M43PIPB.jpg

I know I am a noob but any suggestions? I know its not symmetrical but its my first city builder and I finally got to this happy point.

M43PIPB.jpg

I know I am a noob but any suggestions? I know its not symmetrical but its my first city builder and I finally got to this happy point.

It's... interesting. I'm curious to see how well it works.

Wouldn't the Unlock All mod that ships with the game suffice for that?

Should have said "unlocks just highways." I like the progression, but I do wish I had the highways to lay out my starting intersections and main thoroughfares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom