• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to massively destroy a city quickly? I've got a ton of money and the city has outgrown its original plan, but deleting streets 1 foot at a time in a 3x3 grid city is not gonna happen

I find the number 1 cause of traffic jams in my city to be delivery trucks for my dense commercial zones. At least with industrial I tend to build it outside of residential areas and near main arteries, but commercial I like to plonk it right in the middle of town.

Oh, that's a good point. It's probably a good idea to keep most commercial stuff on main roads or their own offshoots. At least for low density. I imagine public transit will be key to making sprawling commercial areas function properly.

I haven't gotten far enough to successfully pursue high density zoning yet. One day!

Is there a way to massively destroy a city quickly? I've got a ton of money and the city has outgrown its original plan, but deleting streets 1 foot at a time in a 3x3 grid city is not gonna happen
If you annihilate everything at once, you'll crush your population and basically have to start from scratch. Additionally, if you rebuild everything all at once your expenses will be deep in the red for quite a while during which time everything will rebuild. Unless you're mondo wealthy your cash reserves will dry up!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Are you holding down the mouse button? That's about as fast as you can go though.

Skyzard

Banned
Anyone know what might be causing me to miss some of the brushes?

What I have:
Ntc1eGb.png

What I've seen others have:
Map_editor-4-brushes.png

Any reason why my garbage trucks are not leaving the landfill? It at best lets out 1/19 trucks, but I need more. The number jumps to 2/19 for a split second, then goes back down. At best it fought its way to 5/19, but why aren't more going out when they are needed by the city?

F69C6C33FC9C445411289E678B4989A762F32CFE

markot

Banned
Any reason why my garbage trucks are not leaving the landfill? It at best lets out 1/19 trucks, but I need more. The number jumps to 2/19 for a split second, then goes back down. At best it fought its way to 5/19, but why aren't more going out when they are needed by the city?

F69C6C33FC9C445411289E678B4989A762F32CFE

Make sure they are funded in the taxes panel, maybe you dropped the funding before.

mike23

Anyone else have the game randomly freeze? It seems to happen when I'm working around harbors.

On the positive side, pressing F1 actually saved the game even when it was frozen.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Honestly this is one of the best games I have played in years. My city right now is so fucked though. The traffic is horrendous lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Anyone else have the game randomly freeze? It seems to happen when I'm working around harbors.

On the positive side, pressing F1 actually saved the game even when it was frozen.

I've not had it crash once in the 30+ hours i've played it. It could be something like your CPU overheating though. Better check your temps while in game. It's very unlikely, unless you have been doing multi-core video encoding, you have stressed your CPU to this extent in awhile.

mike23

I've not had it crash once in the 30+ hours i've played it. It could be something like your CPU overheating though. Better check your temps while in game. It's very unlikely, unless you have been doing multi-core video encoding, you have stressed your CPU to this extent in awhile.

I doubt it, but it could be. I haven't checked the temps while playing. It doesn't freeze my entire computer though. I was watching a 1080p movie on my second monitor and it was fine, no hiccups or anything.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Shit, two things...

1) My residential demand is basically 0 right now. What gives? Nothing residential is developing/

2) An industrial area is suddenly complaining about backed up pipes? Wut? I have enough sewage capacity. By a long mile.

antonz

anyone know just how detailed buildings can be? The St. Peters Basilica I am working on is pretty detailed and its a lot of work but if there is a limit on complexity I would guess I am well beyond it

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Shit, two things...

1) My residential demand is basically 0 right now. What gives? Nothing residential is developing/

2) An industrial area is suddenly complaining about backed up pipes? Wut? I have enough sewage capacity. By a long mile.

Not enough jobs? Is your I and C stagnant too? If you can zone that, it'll create jobs, which will bring people into your town.

You could also try making your undeveloped residential zones a district, then implementing the residential tax relief policies in that district.

anyone know just how detailed buildings can be? The St. Peters Basilica I am working on is pretty detailed and its a lot of work but if there is a limit on complexity I would guess I am well beyond it

I don't think there are any hard limits, just performance-imposed ones (you can load this model but it makes the game chug). I know the Cities: Skylines wiki has a section on creating models but the only real guidelines they list involve texture map sizes and calibrating your 3D editor's measurements to match the game's measurements.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
They really need to fix the worker balance. My city is in flux between "not enough educated workers" and "not enough workers."

The cities are more fun when you have industry and (especially) commercial in it. Hopefully a mod comes out soon that finds the right balance.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Not enough jobs? Is your I and C stagnant too? If you can zone that, it'll create jobs, which will bring people into your town.

You could also try making your undeveloped residential zones a district, then implementing the residential tax relief policies in that district.

Hmm, yeah I can zone some more industry and commercial. The thing is... I am having problem with backed up pipes. For some godforsaken reason suddenly several buildings are complaining about that. They are properly connected, I have a big surplus of sewage treatment, etc. What could be wrong?!?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
They really need to fix the worker balance. My city is in flux between "not enough educated workers" and "not enough workers."

The cities are more fun when you have industry and (especially) commercial in it. Hopefully a mod comes out soon that finds the right balance.

Yeah, it probably won't be long, I did not expect to see some of the mods this soon as it is. In particular the one way road mod that works so ingeniously.

If you don't have it yet, here is the link:
http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408209297

Frankly, I don't even think the developers could have implemented it better.

It's not even been a week yet!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hmm, yeah I can zone some more industry and commercial. The thing is... I am having problem with backed up pipes. For some godforsaken reason suddenly several buildings are complaining about that. They are properly connected, I have a big surplus of sewage treatment, etc. What could be wrong?!?

You sure they're connected? The ground may be blue, but if the pipes aren't glowing, they're not connected.

Anyone suffer from the Microbial Flora thing in your water supply? My water supply is entirely from water towers so there's no way it could have been from a sewage pipe. :/

Seems to be only the homes somewhat near the sewage drain pipe.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Your sewage pipes aren't active. They should be glowing blue (water) and green (sewage).

You might have a disconnect right at the base of your outflow.

Look at this, it suddenly stops:
I8wAqXb.png

Have been seeing the same in the industrial area where the problem is popping. Will verify the connections though :p

EDIT: NVM! One of the pipes from the sewage was indeed not properly connected. Thanks for the save :p

Pandacon

So, I finally hit 100k pop, 4th town I started, previous towns had major traffic problems. So, I came up with a great idea, being that I live in San Francisco, one-way streets are popular, and I noticed in the game that one-way street traffic doesn't get caught up as much as regular two-way streets.

Now, I know the city design lacks a bit of imagination, but I was trying to see how far I could go with a dense city, not to mention, this does resemble some neighborhoods in San Francisco. As you can see with the traffic map, it looks pretty bad, but the traffic flows really well, there is barely any traffic backup, and most services work fine. The main problem I have is when there is suddenly a influx of dead people, which I found the best solution was to drop a few cemeteries until the wave of deaths subside, then I empty then and bulldoze them.

I might have overdone it with the freeway on/offramps >.>

Look at this, it suddenly stops:
http://i.imgur.com/I8wAqXb.png[img]

Have been seeing the same in the industrial area where the problem is popping. Will verify the connections though :P

EDIT: NVM! One of the pipes from the sewage was indeed not properly connected. Thanks for the save :P[/QUOTE]

Have you tried deleting that section and rebuilding it?

EDIT: Glad you fixed it! These citizens are a lot nicer than me, I would riot if I couldn't flush my toilet.

My map started flooding so I raised the terrain. This only served to push the water into the surrounding valley.

Everyone died.

Love this game.

So should I be centralizing the landfills or placing them far apart? I'd rather not have these little pools of pollution peppering the city, but I feel like I'm supposed to put them far apart to make them efficient...

Jintor

DlVpTgB.jpg

Hey @mayor, the #shit has hit the fan! Hell no, we won't go! #HandsUpDon'tPoop

We need a chirper editor so fucking bad

hell it should find your friends with Cities Skyline and automatically download whatever chirps they generate. Set the chirps to conditions like "Built police station" or "Power outages occuring" or some shit

awww yis.

Someone was talking about a day/night cycle somewhere, I want that.

Jintor

So should I be centralizing the landfills or placing them far apart? I'd rather not have these little pools of pollution peppering the city, but I feel like I'm supposed to put them far apart to make them efficient...

It depends how good your roads are. My city is small enough and my roads good enough that apparently I can just dump all my stuff in one area and my garbage trucks just fan out.

Btw, has anyone managed to make a massive roundabout that doesn't suck? Annoyingly I upgraded mine to 6 lane and it plopped a bunch of lights.

We need a chirper editor so fucking bad

hell it should find your friends with Cities Skyline and automatically download whatever chirps they generate. Set the chirps to conditions like "Built police station" or "Power outages occuring" or some shit

awww yis.

Someone was talking about a day/night cycle somewhere, I want that.

I like the idea of the chirper, but I really wish it was a bit better about only telling me relevant things, or having variety. I have seen the same chirps a million times.

Jintor

Bee tee dubs, is there an inbuilt way in Steam Workshop to just download a collection all at once instead of having to click on every damn button?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It depends how good your roads are. My city is small enough and my roads good enough that apparently I can just dump all my stuff in one area and my garbage trucks just fan out.

Btw, has anyone managed to make a massive roundabout that doesn't suck? Annoyingly I upgraded mine to 6 lane and it plopped a bunch of lights.

You have to use highway-type roads for your roundabouts so that they don't generate lights or stop signs.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just hit 75,000 in my shitty city! Megalopolis. But none of my Monuments are available because each one requires something completely ridiculous to unlock. Bah. I'll never have unlimited healthcare and power.

Up to 82,000 now. It's 2055.

Jintor

There should be a subscribe all button under the collection's page.

Annoyingly some have it and some don't and I can't figure out the difference

It doesn't help that the steam client kind of sucks for it. I should probably just log in on my browser, except it logs me out every time and I have steam guard on so i have to double authenticate every time :T

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just hit 75,000 in my shitty city! Megalopolis. But none of my Monuments are available because each one requires something completely ridiculous to unlock. Bah. I'll never have unlimited healthcare and power.

I wonder how drunk they were when they came up with those unlock requirements.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wonder how drink they were when they came up with those unlock requirements.
Some of them require low health or high crime or super low happiness, stuff that would pretty much destroy your city for a long time before possibly slowly getting better. And they don't stay unlocked between cities. So how the hell is anyone supposed to achieve those?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

I wonder how drink they were when they came up with those unlock requirements.

The unlocks actually aren't thaaaat bad. Many of them you can just cheese if you have enough money saved up.

One of the hardest was the 20,000 squares of commercial, but I got that by making a huge grid out in the middle of nowhere, dezoning my high density commercial bit by bit, and zoning in the large grid with low density.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom