• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Can someone tell me how to get the Distroy achievement? It says have more than 10 districts with unique policies. So I created an 11th district and gave them all a different set of policies and nothing happened. What did I do wrong?

Chariot

Can someone tell me how to get the Distroy achievement? It says have more than 10 districts with unique policies. So I created an 11th district and gave them all a different set of policies and nothing happened. What did I do wrong?
I just created ten districts and gave everyone one different policy, no policy directive on the city as a whole.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just created ten districts and gave everyone one different policy, no policy directive on the city as a whole.
Yeah, I did that. I set each one to have a different random set of policies. Does it have to be one policy each? I would think it'd be separate sets as long as no two sets are the same. I'll try just having one item checked for each.

Edit: Yep, that did it. One policy each worked. Strange way of setting it up though.

roytheone

I am still on the fence with this game. I love management games like rollercoaster tycoon and Anno 2070, but mostly for their scenario/story modes. I never was a fan of sandbox modes with no defined goals.

I am still on the fence with this game. I love management games like rollercoaster tycoon and Anno 2070, but mostly for their scenario/story modes. I never was a fan of sandbox modes with no defined goals.

The goal is to beat your previous attempt(better traffic flow, more population etc) or a more aesthetically pleasing city.
You have unlocks based on population amount that might be your carrot on a stick.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just to be clear, mods only disable achievements, right? And only for saves that are saved when mods are enabled? So if I enable a mod right now and use it in this city, I won't get achievements for anything more, but if I disable mods and start a new city, they'll work again, right?

They don't disable anything else like unlocking buildings?

Kabouter

Just to be clear, mods only disable achievements, right? And only for saves that are saved when mods are enabled? So if I enable a mod right now and use it in this city, I won't get achievements for anything more, but if I disable mods and start a new city, they'll work again, right?

They don't disable anything else like unlocking buildings?

Yeah, that sounds about right. Alternatively, you could just grab the mod that re-enables achievements when playing with mods :p

georgc

So just discovered this mod that shows traffic information for a vehicle, building or road.....yep this will def be the best city building game ever made at this rate

Traffic Report Tool (Beta)

E91D19C1AFBFCDC4CCCE47B15D0D3DF27A6DBFDB

spiritfox

I wish train stations snapped to rails instead of roads. Makes it hard to draw a nice looking rail line without leveling half your city. And make them more slope tolerant.

While we're at it, CiM 2 style metro please.

There's a progress update for the game.
We're also keeping a close eye on discussions on gameplay related issues. Specifically...

Commercial demand possibly being "killed" by parks and rec.
Potential traffic AI issues/improvements
Cause/effect for workers getting to their jobs

If there are bugs causing these issues, we will of course strive to fix them. In case they are design decisions from CO that the players disagree with; we monitor the discussion and take the feedback into consideration going forward. We understand there's a lot of passion for this game and many of you want to see it grow in the best possible direction - your feedback is highly appreciated - but this does not mean we will "blindly" do everything people ask for. CO are very collected, down to earth developers. Do not expect knee-jerk balance/gameplay changes due to active feedback on a specific topic.

Bugfixing / issues patch ETA

As there have been no extremely pressing issues that need instant hotfixing (as in affecting a majority of players) we have chosen to take our time with the first patch to ensure it doesn't break more than it fixes (so proper QA time). There's currently no ETA for this patch, I will most likely get that today, but you should expect it in a not distant future.

CO are currently fully focusing on solving the core technical issues before we switch to working on the first major content update.
Official mod collections (Workshop) now live!

I've started my official curated mod lists on the workshop. They are currently bare bones in content but will be updated pretty much daily. If you want custom content for the game but have no wish to sift through the endless pages of workshop that are already there, please consider subscribing.

Official Collection: I Want It All
For users who want as much as possible (still all high quality stuff) when it comes to custom assets. Please ensure you have at least 4gb+ RAM free for the game and generous amounts of HDD space.

Official Collection: Mods & Functionality
This is the official mod collection for users that want gameplay/UI/experience altering mods.

Official Collection: Crème de la Crème
For players that only want the best, high quality, good looking assets and mods available in the workshop.

We sold 500k+ copies!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So just discovered this mod that shows traffic information for a vehicle, building or road.....yep this will def be the best city building game ever made at this rate

Yep, great mod, the only missing feature is that it doesnt seem to show where cars came from, but maybe that data isnt stored anywhere.

Jintor

MODDING

i just realised I'm playing XCOM Long War and filling Cities Skyline full of mods. MODS! IN THE YEAR 2015!

it's like hl1 tcs and sims 1 all over again

Jintor

So friends

what's on your custom music playlist after you've muted Cities' ingame music?

ATM I'm running the OSTs for Simcity 3000, Sim City (2013), a few select tracks from The Sims and Tropico 3.

Considering adding Animal Crossing: New Leaf, but maybe not.

Mik2121

I have both SimCity 3000 and 4 playing. Love SimCity 3000's soundtrack the best though. So many hours spent listening to it!

Also this game really needs the day/night cycle soon! Looking back at how the night cycle looked in some of the SimCity games makes me wish I could see this in the same way...

StayDead

So friends

ATM I'm running the OSTs for Simcity 3000, Sim City (2013), a few select tracks from The Sims and Tropico 3.

I've got my entire music collection which comprises of pretty much entirely Japanese music and the entirety of the Initial D soundtrack collection. Nothing beats Japanese Eurobeat, so good.

Kalliban

Neo Member
So friends

The Neverhood OST. Best OST ever created, makes for some crazy looking highway ramps :p

So friends

Sim City Snes.

PSA - Your industrial zones are not being abandoned because your workforce is overeducated.

tl;dr: Workers head to the closer, better educated jobs first. Give your industrial areas better access or put them closer to residential areas.

Does distance mean km away or time to get there? I had a forestry industrial area in my unlimited money play city that was connected by metro and to keep it staffed I was keeping a side of my city purposefully stupid. Maybe I didn't need to do that? If my city dwellers took into account that metro is quick they should have been willing to work there.

Did you build your first one when the sickness indicator shows up?

Nah, I had some, but not nearly enough.

I was building for green lines rather than red buildings, I suppose. It was dramatically fast though.

EDIT: It was also kind of interesting. I built one, and it was almost immediately full. I was losing 4,000 citizens a month at the height.

spiritfox

Does distance mean km away or time to get there? I had a forestry industrial area in my unlimited money play city that was connected by metro and to keep it staffed I was keeping a side of my city purposefully stupid. Maybe I didn't need to do that? If my city dwellers took into account that metro is quick they should have been willing to work there.

Commute time. Another way is to overpopulate so people will have to take those jobs to remain employed.

Nah, I had some, but not nearly enough.

I was building for green lines rather than red buildings, I suppose. It was dramatically fast though.

EDIT: It was also kind of interesting. I built one, and it was almost immediately full. I was losing 4,000 citizens a month at the height.

Hmm

I think if the whole city was very healthy, even a city full of hospitals is going to be likely to be at <10% capacity. I'm sorry to hear that healthcare was a disaster.

Speaking of healthcare, the ambulance sirens sound all kind of wrong. Did you?

Unai

Hmmm, does green road effectiveness take into account public transport like metros, buses etc?

In a way, yes. If more people are taking the bus, metro, etc, less people are using cars so it will be easier to get green roads. The red/green ratio takes in account the transit in real time.

Hmm

I think if the whole city was very healthy, even a city full of hospitals is going to be likely to be at <10% capacity. I'm sorry to hear that healthcare was a disaster.

Speaking of healthcare, the ambulance sirens sound all kind of wrong. Did you?

Ah well, I will just start from my old save, even though I was working on a new district at the time.

I haven't really noticed them. I don't have effects turned up very loud.

Well I didn't like it. Didn't hate it like I did Cities XXL which was just an unfinished product with hardly any game in there, this one in comparison is great at what it does... but for some reason, I don't see the point.

I must admit I am not the most creative type, so just building to be able to build amazing highway systems is not really what I'm looking for. I need a game, and for me, SimCity, yes also the latest one, is the only one that provides that.

Skylines gives you a very limited amount of bonus buildings based on different parameters, but what I love in SimCity is the engine builidng and goods production/shipping, like you have to desing a chain of production facilities to make electronics, then you can ship them for mad cash. And you have to do that, because you'll run out of money otherwise. XXL, and in a lesser way, Skylines, are just about drawing grid after grid after grid, money just pours in, and esthetics are the only thing you have to worry about. Skylines has the districts thing, but yeah... no.

Maybe I'm missing something, and maybe I'll give it another whirl some day, but as is I burnt out on this on a single afternoon.

Meier

Thought I'd wait but couldn't and pulled the trigger. Runs fine on my PC so glad I did!

The highway with sound barrier is frustrating. I spent an absolute fuckton on building one across the river to connect to the entrance at the other side of the map and no matter what I did with the end of it, it always had that little indicator that I think means it isn't connected. Super confusing...

Up to around 7,500 people and still making some profit. It's a real slow burn though -- in 2017 I think I recall...so close to having some high density housing!

Unai

Thought I'd wait but couldn't and pulled the trigger. Runs fine on my PC so glad I did!

The highway with sound barrier is frustrating. I spent an absolute fuckton on building one across the river to connect to the entrance at the other side of the map and no matter what I did with the end of it, it always had that little indicator that I think means it isn't connected. Super confusing...

Up to around 7,500 people and still making some profit. It's a real slow burn though -- in 2017 I think I recall...so close to having some high density housing!

Make sure that you're connection the highway in same direction that the transit flows. I did that mistake once.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm not creative enough for games like this. My cities look like garbage compared to some stuff I see here.

You dont really need to be creative. My city doesnt look as nice as the others here either, but it just becomes really fun and an intricate puzzle to work out traffic solution and satisfy demand without fucking over your whole city.

Berto

I'm obsessed with this game, I literally dream about city planning :D

I'm loving my first city, it's around 15.000 people, still going ok with no relevant major issues yet. I like to do several neighbourhood separated from each other, like several mini-cities interconnected

marrec

Banned
You dont really need to be creative. My city doesnt look as nice as the others here either, but it just becomes really fun and an intricate puzzle to work out traffic solution and satisfy demand without fucking over your whole city.

This part is, so far, the best for me. You start out with some vague idea of a plan worked out and plop down a bunch of lines and then have to modify existing areas to adapt and fix what you fucked up before.

I don't want to build the perfect city from the start as that would turn rather boring rather quickly. I want to have to pause and make hard decisions about which old districts have to be razed to the ground in order to build that new larger highway or High School. You have all the systems interacting with each other, forcing you into a different design schema with your growing population, and the city just grows organically from that.

Those are some seriously nice numbers for a PC exclusive made by 13 people with no traditional advertisement.

Less than one week since release too.

It's almost as if the genre hasn't been served properly in years and demand was intense.

Seriously though good on them, the game deserves it.

Durante

Those are some seriously nice numbers for a PC exclusive made by 13 people with no traditional advertisement.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Seriously, this beat even my high expectations for sales.

Kalliban

Neo Member
Is there any way to disable the chirpy sound only? I could get rid of it by muting one of the options (can't remember which one now since I'm at work), but does that mute a lot of other things as well? Maybe I need a mod for that? I have nightmares about that sound :p

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is there any way to disable the chirpy sound only? I could get rid of it by muting one of the options (can't remember which one now since I'm at work), but does that mute a lot of other things as well? Maybe I need a mod for that? I have nightmares about that sound :p

I think the Chirpy removal tools ditch the sound too. It's kinda pointless right now.

I'd like to see a mod retrofit it, with more notifications of issues in your city, and getting rid of some of the pointless "WATER MY FUCKING PLANTS YOU PLEBS" posts.

That way when you hear the sound, it's probably something you will want to look at and click on.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves

Yep, tried it yesterday. It's incredible how fast people make mods and how many there are on steam workshop at the moment. This is the best city builder sim in over 10 years in my opinion. I'm completely hooked, and will stay hooked for a long time to come.

I highly suggest that you get DP's collection of buildings as they add a lot of variety to the game.

I'm considering putting together a massive collection with mods I've tested personally. It'd require plenty of disk-space, but would be very helpful for those that do not want to or feel that they have the time to browse through thousands of mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom