• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

So, what kind of map do you guys play on? I like the ice of a world -like map so I play on continents, but I'm finding that its mostly two blobs housing roughly half the civs each, separated by and ocean. Not exactly thrilling or diverse.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So, what kind of map do you guys play on? I like the ice of a world -like map so I play on continents, but I'm finding that its mostly two blobs housing roughly half the civs each, separated by and ocean. Not exactly thrilling or diverse.

I almost always choose either continents or pangea. Some of the more gimmicky map types, like donut, north & south, frozen and such, well I just don't like them. I prefer something that feels like it could be a planet in reality, something with navigable oceans.

Although I haven't played an islands map since Civ IV, maybe my next game will be Portugal on an islands map just for a change of pace...

kidko

My first BNR game was Indonesia on archipelago which was pretty fun. Hardly used any land troops at all. I'm looking forward to doing it again but with a naval-based civ.

I'm mostly playing Continents or Continents Plus nowadays with random civs, but the map style I like most is Archipelago (when I'm playing as the English :p).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Do people play the "advanced" maps (advanced because you can only see them in advanced settings)?

I really want to try out Donut, but then that would mean smaller land to build. But then it wouldn't bother the likes of Venice that relies on few cities and such.

My first BNR game was Indonesia on archipelago which was pretty fun. Hardly used any land troops at all. I'm looking forward to doing it again but with a naval-based civ.

I'm mostly playing Continents or Continents Plus nowadays with random civs, but the map style I like most is Archipelago (when I'm playing as the English :p).

I like what I'm seeing with Archipelago. I'll definitely give it a try next game.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Rentahamster's game is why I like playing on Immortal from time to time. So much fun stuff you can do when you're not behind 10 techs all the time, can actually make a play for wonders, nd the AI doesn't have religions enhanced and reformed by turn 50.

Indeed. Want to found a religion on deity? Hah, that's cute, says the game, to me.

edit: I kinda wish there was another middleground between Immortal and Deity. Something like the tech headstart of Immortal, with the production and other bonuses from Deity.

Kainazzo

I play on Prince and like that the AI doesn't get too much of a resource boost, but I wish they could be more aggressive. Sorta like in early Vanilla where late game AI would just spam AA guns everywhere and you really had to fight (nuke) to gain a footing.

Is there an "Eff the World" setting where the AI will be as absolutely dickish and warlike against you (and ONLY you) as possible, but without the super gold/religion/etc boosts?

Deadman

Just managed to win by domination in 2029. I didnt think i would finish them off in time (and had completed the space race parts just in case) but then i got stealth bombers and was able to take 2 capitals at once. Pretty fun game, the first time ive really gone for war and its worked quite well.

Wars across oceans can be pretty slow. I dunno what id do without xcom.

jchap

After completely screwing up my first attempt I managed to beat Deity with the Shoshone. I was going for a science win but ended up having to take it by domination.

Add me in for the slightly more realistic map types. the other types don't do anything for me.

Anyway started a game as Elizabeth today on small continents and ended up on the coast with desert tiles 10 tiles north and south and 8 east of London so I was already behind until I could rush Petra but even then I was still behind. Was super annoying.

For those of you moving up from Emperor to Immortal or from Immortal to Deity, I suggest subscribing to 'In Game Editor' on the Steam Workshop. Then, once you've started a Modded Game and settled your capital, open up the editor (click on IGE in the top bar), click on a tile to add some resources.

Give your capital just a ridiculous number of useful tiles; 4 stone, 5 cattle, 3 horses, 3 iron, 5 different luxuries and maybe even a natural wonder or a couple of archers. This should give you a great start, but you'll still have to deal with the new difficulty level throughout the rest earth's history.

Then, on each subsequent game, slowly tone down the number 'cheat' tiles and let the training wheels come off. Doing this really helps ease you into the ordeal ahead and is much preferable to simply diving in.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Been playing a just for fun game against 1 civ with raging barbs... Only tech/domination victory allowed

It's the year 2400 and my opponent is still in medieval age losing over 10,000 gold a turn

:/

Been playing a just for fun game against 1 civ with raging barbs... Only tech/domination victory allowed

It's the year 2400 and my opponent is still in medieval age losing over 10,000 gold a turn

:/
Then he'll need to find 10,001 gold per turn to generate any science. He's going to be stuck in the dark ages for some time.

ZZMitch

I like the fractal map type. Seems to be pretty random and I enjoy not knowing what to expect from the map. I leave most settings on random if I can to add enjoyable to the exploration and stuff.

I am convinced that you need an absolutely godly start to win as the Boers on Deity in Scramble for Africa. Every time I play I just get absolutely swamped by European civs and their endless waves of riflemen. It doesn't help that the Boer starting area is rather shitty and you go into starvation as soon as you settle.

Having a strange game this round.

1. Genghis Khan decides the best course of action is to attack a city-state above one of my settlements while at war with Austria on his other flank. I put them under my protection and move some units there to see if I can dissuade him. I also send them a cheap unit I have laying around. By the time I finally decide to properly intervene they take the city-state. After a bloody battle I take it back and keep it because, uh, stress. However, My gifted unit appears so I get a crap-ton of influence with the city-state I'm no occupying because that unit is live. Khan takes it back, and I take it back again. At some point the unit must have died because the city-state is no longer on the list.

2. Does Korea ever not get smashed? I've seen it in three games and every time they are dead last militarily, basically begging someone to wipe them off the face of the map which I did this time after they decided to settle near me. In this case I took all their cities but they apparently had a scout and worker in transit, so now they exist as a city-less civilization, wandering the seas denouncing me from time to time.

3. After I secured my borders fighting Khan I made a push for his final two cities (Austria bulldozed him while we fought). I took those and, again, he must have had boats somewhere because now all I know is he has no home but he likes to denounce me from time to time.

Firebrand

Hmm, expansion is £10 over Amazon UK, too tempting...

What's the general consensus on BNW, does it truly make the late-game less boring, a problem I have with both Civ 4 and 5? I've got nearly 300 hours into Civ 5 but only a handful of finished games; I tend to grow bored halfway through when there's little exploration and settling to do. At least Civ4 in I looked forward to reaching Astronomy to explore and establish international trade, I guess this is back in BNW and the ideology stuff sounds interesting.

I was a bit disappointed with the Gods & Kings expansion, felt like it was more about grabbing bonuses for myself than seeing my religion spread virally.

kidko

Hmm, expansion is £10 over Amazon UK, too tempting...

What's the general consensus on BNW, does it truly make the late-game less boring, a problem I have with both Civ 4 and 5? I've got nearly 300 hours into Civ 5 but only a handful of finished games; I tend to grow bored halfway through when there's little exploration and settling to do. At least Civ4 in I looked forward to reaching Astronomy to explore and establish international trade, I guess this is back in BNW and the ideology stuff sounds interesting.

I was a bit disappointed with the Gods & Kings expansion, felt like it was more about grabbing bonuses for myself than seeing my religion spread virally.

BNR is a no-brainer, get it.

MMO? Really, guys? Didn't they see what happened to Age Online? ughhhhh

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Seems like the next step from Civ Revoultions and that facebook game. To everyone freaking out over it: I agree that I don't like it, but I highly doubt this would prevent Civ6 from happening. But still, ick.

This MMO thing has no bearing at all on Civ 6, the standard franchise is an entirely separate thing. The big question I'm curious about is: will we get another expansion for Civ V or is Civ VI next?

As for the MMO, sounds like nothing I want at all. Not even remotely interested in that.

Geido

Oh man, I added the other Civ thread to my subscriptions, never knowing there was an actual booming thread out there...

Anyway, I've been enjoying BNW thoroughly. It's taken up quite a lot of free time actually, I've already finished a game with 4 of the new civs. Indonesia, Portugal, Morocco and Brazil.

But the last game was getting kinda boring on king with a science lead of at least 2 ages throughout the game. Launching a spacecraft while everybody is sailing around with frigates is a little funny, but just pressing enter and going through the routines isn't a fun game. .

So I've started a random everything game on Immortal. Only dom and time VC. Rolled Siam in a pretty good start. Apart from Mongolia and Greece being the first two civs I meet. Should be a fun game!

InertiaXr

What all do you lose if you settle a city off a river? Just a water mill? I can move 1 tile over to be next to a mountain for an eventual observatory which seems more worthwhile.

Niahak

Water Mill, Garden, and eventually Hydro Dam (+1 prod per river tile). Water mill can make a big difference early on, though, more from food than production.

By the time you get Hydro, it doesn't make a really huge difference, though.

You can get some decent wonders for near mountains though (Machu Picchu, Neuschwanstein).

Benutzer

What all do you lose if you settle a city off a river? Just a water mill? I can move 1 tile over to be next to a mountain for an eventual observatory which seems more worthwhile.

you lose the 25% gold bonus for land trade routes and can't build the water mill, garden and hydro plant...

You lose the garden too, as well as later the ability to build a hydro plant there (even if you have river tiles you need to be riverside for the plant).You also don't get the trade benefits of being near a river (increased range, .25x multiplier), which really do matter if you plan on trading.

Given the choice I always go riverside vs. mountain unless there were compelling additional reasons.

Geido

And 1 hammer per rivertile with the Hydroplant. That usually amounts to quite a lot of hammers.

But as far as I'm concerned science is the name of the game. Everything revolves around it. I would choose the mountain.

InertiaXr

Well thanks guys, I'm playing an Ican domination so moving a square over to a mountain gave me a few more very nice Terrace Farm locations and I'm not too worried about land trading with my nearby neighbors, so it's probably just worth it in this situation. I had not realized Garden and Hydro Dam required being riverside.

ascii42

Well thanks guys, I'm playing an Ican domination so moving a square over to a mountain gave me a few more very nice Terrace Farm locations and I'm not too worried about land trading with my nearby neighbors, so it's probably just worth it in this situation. I had not realized Garden and Hydro Dam required being riverside.

Kind of makes sense that the dam would require a river.

InertiaXr

Kind of makes sense that the dam would require a river.

Yeah lol...usually by that time in the game it's basically over and I'm just building whatever, and if a dam shows up in my list then alright I'll build it.

I could see how later on if you have maybe 20+ citizens then your city would have grown so big that you could build a dam a tile away?

More terrace farms are worth moving away from a river for.

Also, I would note that Inca really, really benefit from Fertilizer and Chemistry almost as much, if not more, than almost any other Civ. This makes an Artillery strategy with them very fitting.

Or a source of fresh water. So, a city next to a lake would count, too.

Except for Lake Victoria, for some reason.

I would get annoyed that I can't farm hills near Lake Victoria , but I'm too busy being happy I got Lake Victoria to care (though it's no better than flood plains wheat, to be honest).

Ogimachi

Natural wonders are very nice, too bad the map script places so few of them. They usually make cities look awesome.

I would've settled here even if there was no Cerro de Potosi and no engineer, though. U-shaped valleys are too cool.

inXTD02HuqRTO.png

GODDAMNIT Ethiopia won't move their goddamned scout out of my way so I can build a fishing boat.

fucker has been there for like 20 turns now. Got open borders cause I needed it but now it's biting me in the ass.

Geido

Wow, that is an awesome looking city.

My immortal adventure is proving difficult. The teching part is pretty okay and I even managed to snag some important wonders. But being Siam and wanting to concentrate on citystates while my nextdoor neighbour Ghengiz keeps attacking them is making my life really difficult. So far I've managed to liberate every city state he's got and I want to take one of his cities to teach him a lesson. But the normally completely stupid mongol has managed to build a citadel right next to the city... Meaning I have to walk around the entire thing before I'm a good position to attack.

And meanwhile, the few city states I have a good relation keep getting allied to Alexander. Who of course, is being an asshole. Maybe I have to leave the city states and warring alone for a while and build up my economy. Make a push with some artillery or something.

Oh well, we'll see tomorrow.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
DOTA is taking all of my time lately but me and 4 of my friends are going to have an epic multiplayer game soon. WIll be glorious.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Natural wonders are very nice, too bad the map script places so few of them. They usually make cities look awesome.

I would've settled here even if there was no Cerro de Potosi and no engineer, though. U-shaped valleys are too cool.

inXTD02HuqRTO.png

Its too bad you cant name cities anymore, I always wanted to make a Denver with the Americans, that city you have would be the perfect spot! lol

Top Bottom