• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ahh.

I never really go wars - only build an army ready.

I haven't gotten any Domination cheevos lol

Even with the other victories, a good aggressive push not only helps you get free stuff, but puts your opponents on worse footing.

The first time I attempted to do the cultural victory, I didn't fight anyone and was just messing around with the new toys in BNW. It went ok. The second time I tried a cultural victory, I generated a decent amount of art myself, but I also got some nice works of art to complete my theming bonuses by taking what wasn't mine. Muhahahaha.

Plus, capturing another civ's capital, especially a civ that was outputting a large amount of culture, basically cripples that civ's culture output for the rest of the game, and it's GG for them.

Keyouta

So I haven't kept too up-to-date on this expansion. It brings a lot more features in than Gods and Kings, right?

Is this worth it?

Ogimachi

Im not sure but I think this is one of my favorite games of all time
Yeah, I always thought it was just me in a Civilization phase, but then someone asked me: if could take only a single game with you to spend the rest of your life on an island, what game would it be? I didn't even think twice before saying Civ V, so I realized it's my favorite game.

Deadman

Im part way though a game with the shoshone. I was quite close to montezuma at the start but it all seemed fine because he was friendly with me. Then suddenly he declares war and there are 5 units 3 tiles away from my capital. I manage to delay him long enough with my 2 pathfinders and city attack so that i can get 3 swordsmen out.

I beat back his attack and he offers peace as his units are running. I decline and press the attack, razing 2 cities and capturing his capital: no more montezuma.

I think that razing cities makes other civs hate you because austria and egypt then denounced me as a warmonger (even though i was attacked first). So in 6 turns i will be able to make Comanche riders and they will both fall.

I havent had war work for me yet in civ5 so this game has been awesome.

Plus, Montezuma is completely insane.

He was my kind-of buddy for the entire game I just played. On the neutral-friendly side of the scale, mostly in neutral. We both warned each other a few times about various things (me stealing his cultural artifacts, or having troops near his border, him settling near me, or spying on me). I bribed him to war on my enemies a few times. Out of no where, verrrrrrrrrrrrry late in the game, while we have a DoF, he suddenly denounces me. While I have been giving him military units constantly so he can beat on Gandhi, who has no real army to speak of.

Anyway, I won anyway, and he never manned up and actually attacked, and I saw no reason to waste my time murdering him, so I didn't

Myomoto

Im part way though a game with the shoshone. I was quite close to montezuma at the start but it all seemed fine because he was friendly with me. Then suddenly he declares war and there are 5 units 3 tiles away from my capital. I manage to delay him long enough with my 2 pathfinders and city attack so that i can get 3 swordsmen out.

I beat back his attack and he offers peace as his units are running. I decline and press the attack, razing 2 cities and capturing his capital: no more montezuma.

I think that razing cities makes other civs hate you because austria and egypt then denounced me as a warmonger (even though i was attacked first). So in 6 turns i will be able to make Comanche riders and they will both fall.

I havent had war work for me yet in civ5 so this game has been awesome.

To be fair, committing genocide in response to being attacked is maybe a tad much.

Cromat

If you ever get bored and have time, Fragamemnon, could you make a "how to be a warmonger for dummies" video? After, god, almost a thousand hours of playing BTS as a peace loving, wonder building pussy (I did a lot of OCCs with India :(), I find myself playing Civ 5 in pretty much the same way. I see you talking about taking capitals on turn 70 and it sounds awesome, but I just can't wrap my head around how to do it.

I have the opposite problem. I have never played a completely peaceful game and whenever I try to I find it difficult to maintain the lead. It's so much easier to just build an army and take stuff that they already built.

I am now on Immortal and I find that if you built 7-8 Composite Bows you can take over your closest neighbour, and sometimes this advantage is enough to propel you for the rest of the game (although less so in BNW).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
One pet peeve is that AI can go capture other civs capital fine but when you do it you will get a warmonger penalty.

So I haven't kept too up-to-date on this expansion. It brings a lot more features in than Gods and Kings, right?

Is this worth it?

Very.

kidko

Are there any Civs exclusive to Gold edition? I don't ever play scenarios so don't care about those, but I want to have all of the Civs.

I have base game pre-order version so I got those civs + G&K and BNR

DSmalls84

Moved up to King and tried a game as Persia and ended up winning Diplomacy by 1930. It was pretty awesome building the Hubble Space telescope in like 1898 though lol. It didn't really seem much more difficult than Prince. I might play one more game and then move the difficulty up a notch again.

jph139

Are there any Civs exclusive to Gold edition? I don't ever play scenarios so don't care about those, but I want to have all of the Civs.

I have base game pre-order version so I got those civs + G&K and BNR

There's no exclusive Civs, but upgrading to Gold does give you all of the DLC Civs - Babylon (which you may have), Spain, Inca, Denmark, Polynesia, and Korea. And the Wonders of the Ancient World which doesn't have any Civs but does have three new Wonders.

Some really cool Civs there (Inca and Babylon are both great, I'm a big fan of Polynesia and Korea). So, it's definitely recommended.

InertiaXr

Is there anything you can do with Great Generals besides using them in battle obviously, and then create Citadels? I'm not too worried about my own land so I don't really want to make any Citadels, but I have 3 Great Generals and not sure what to do with all of them...I thought back in Vanilla you could use them to create immediate Golden Ages, is that not true anymore?

Citadels are really the only use for them. The any GP proving an ability for a GA was removed in G&K.

I use them for expanding borders into unclaimed land near my cities to get luxuries when I do not want to build a city there-happens a lot. Also good for filling in "gaps" in your territory that late game AI settler spam might try to get to.

Yikes, I want to wipe Carthage off the map but their last city has 108 combat strength and is one shotting everything I put in range lol.....

It's not their capital so I'll leave them be for now and maybe nuke it soon

Once you get past 60 or so city combat strength, it's time to start killing things with three range bombardment. Battleships, artillery/rocket artillery, and bombers are your friend.

It's in the centre of a continent, I can't sail by battleships close enough and regular artillery can't get close enough to set up and survive due to the terrain

I have to decide if I want to take out Gao and win the game now or have fun destroying everything Dido and William have left first

It's in the centre of a continent, I can't sail by battleships close enough and regular artillery can't get close enough to set up and survive due to the terrain

Bombers, then drop two paratroopers in rough terrain near the city and cap the turn after. If you have experience buildings you should be able to get them w/ at least cover 1 promotion when you produce them.

That's how I deal with cities that I can't reach easily. Seriously , paratroopers are just damn amazing at capping cities when you have uncontested air power.

InertiaXr

How do inquisitors deal with eradicating religion in another holy city? If you are able to overthrown it with your own religion, then bring in an inquisitor, does the holy city have some sort of innate pressure that you can't ever get rid of?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How do inquisitors deal with eradicating religion in another holy city? If you are able to overthrown it with your own religion, then bring in an inquisitor, does the holy city have some sort of innate pressure that you can't ever get rid of?

You can eliminate holy city status if you take over the city, and then great prophet or inquisitor pop it.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

Is this worth it?

If you already have Civ V and G&K, and like the genre, it's a must buy.

Just make sure that you convert enough of the surrounding cities as well, so that it doesn't go back to being its original religion due to pressure. Because it could revert to holy city status again, I think.

Inquisitor kills the Holy city. Great Prophet only temporarily removes the religion, but the city will still have holy city status and produce pressure.

Aeon712

Has the new expansion improved the multiplayer at all? Me and my best friend mainly play the multiplayer and resort to playing civ iv instead of v because its more like the single player.

InertiaXr

Jeez, how do you manage to keep other civs from declaring war on you because they are upset at you for wiping out 2 other civs? Damn AI is mad at me for warring so now they want to war with me...Seems like a endless cycle by the silly AI.

Jeez, how do you manage to keep other civs from declaring war on you because they are upset at you for wiping out 2 other civs? Damn AI is mad at me for warring so now they want to war with me...Seems like a endless cycle by the silly AI.

You could have more soldiers than them? :p The AI tends to not go to war against somebody that can beat their ass silly.

Going live for a late night session of Reddit Weekly Challenge #25 (All players as Venice, max number of city states) on Deity. Playing continents w/ 8 players and 41(!) City States.

Don't worry there won't be many left by the end of the game.

twitch.tv/rloutlaw

xenist

You could have more soldiers than them? :p The AI tends to not go to war against somebody that can beat their ass silly.

During my last game, Egypt had pulled so far ahead in points that in the end I said "fuck it" built a giant fleet, declared war on pretty much everybody and went around the ocean killing units, bombing cities and turning the seas into a nightmare. The AI didn't actively do a single thing against me. Except for the Shoshone. They attacked me with an Ironclad. Of course the part of my fleet they attacked had three battleships, a carrier loaded with three bombers, a submarine and a destroyer. My military adviser was all "We're so strong! Kill everyone! Kill them all!"

Myomoto

So is 'raiding' a viable tactic? Basically declaring war on other civs to raid their trade routes/pillage their improvements/kidnapping their workers and then have them pay you in luxuries/gold for peace, but never actually going the full step of conquering their cities.

My military adviser was all "We're so strong! Kill everyone! Kill them all!"

I love that guy!

Boss Doggie

So winning Diplomacy can still be done by buying every CS right? Well, time to make Pedro rich.

xenist

So is 'raiding' a viable tactic? Basically declaring war on other civs to raid their trade routes/pillage their improvements/kidnapping their workers and then have them pay you in luxuries/gold for peace, but never actually going the full step of conquering their cities.

I've found Washington is really susceptible to this. On two different games after I beat him like a circus monkey he applied for peace and gave me towns, gold and strategic resources. Any other civ, no matter how hard I beat was much more stringy. This could be a coincidence of course.

Zips

I've found Washington is really susceptible to this. On two different games after I beat him like a circus monkey he applied for peace and gave me towns, gold and strategic resources. Any other civ, no matter how hard I beat was much more stringy. This could be a coincidence of course.

Last game I played wound up being me taking up half the Pangaea continent, and Washington the other half, with a thin Greek barrier between us.

I was expecting a huge fight once one of us decided to break down the barrier, but after nuking his initial invasion force Washington crumpled, rapidly lost city after city, and then made peace by giving me 10 more of his cities.

A little bit more pressure once the treaty was up and he gave me another 5 or 6 cities. Then one last time and he gave me everything that was left except his capital city.

Contrast this with another game I played where a massive Iroquois computer that pushed me back to a battle of the line at my capital refused to offer me any of his cities until I'd chopped him down to almost nothing.

Washington is weak!

Sibylus

Banned
Success! First Emperor game in the books, and I didn't even wage war as Assyria that game. Just defensively postured myself and focused on maximising my science and trade relations with city states, keeping my UA as a backup plan of sorts.

Deadman

Continued my game. Austria and Egypt declared war on me the same turn. They were also allied with every single city state i had met so i lost all my trade routes and was losing quite a lot of money per turn, which sucked.

Anyway egypt doesnt exist anymore.

Ogimachi

Yeah I noticed Ramses is more asshole-ish than usual
It was probably the context and your choices, really. You made me wonder if they tweaked the Leader files in the expansion, but they're the same. They just added flavors to the new mechanics, i.e., trade routes, etc.

Asuma01

Neo Member
Man I'm terrible at this game. I always feel like I get a good start but then its all down hill. I feel like I just have no idea about what im doing once I get about three or four cities down

dream

I know it's super-situational, but how do you generally determine which buildings you want when going wide?

Boss Doggie

It was probably the context and your choices, really. You made me wonder if they tweaked the Leader files in the expansion, but they're the same. They just added flavors to the new mechanics, i.e., trade routes, etc.

I noticed he's easily angered by having many wonders lol

Buy them to war. What I did before was that I payed 2000 Gold to different Civs to cause a world war while becoming friends with the Most powerful Civ ai. I then got my buddy, Napoleon to help with the take over of earth and the other ai's were too busy fighting each other that Napoleon and I (Ghengis Khan) could take over the world.

Vespene

Has anyone ever actually seen archeological sites depicting battles that you actually participated on? Every time I find a war relic from my empire, it's a made up encounter with barbarians or a Civ that was never at war with me. They hyped this element of archeology but it turned out to be faked.

Top Bottom