• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

zoku88

Spl1nter said:
And do you think that there culture is the same as it was 2000 years ago? While changes in culture are gradual they are quite significant. Also one should not confuse social policy with culture. They are two different aspects of a 'civilization'

Once again looking at the French revolution we are talking about a complete societal change. From autocratic, absolute monarchy to individual liberty, freedom and republic. That way that effects the lives of individual persons is drastic.
But that's also a very rare case. And, mind you, the changes didn't cause a revolution, but the revolution caused changes.

But if you look at most of society, the changes are actually very gradual.

You have choice, you just have to do it gradually.

You have choice, it's just that the choice are hard choices.

And Civ IS NOT a sandbox game. Not even close. There are clear winning conditions and thus optimal ways to achieve those conditions. It's not like EU3, where the goal is just to do whatever you want. And Civ, there is a clear goal: to win.

Palmer_v1

Not sure if this is a glitch, or intentional, but apparently Optics does not give the embarkation upgrade to scouts. It's bizarre because an upgraded scout is the only unit that can learn embarkation on it's own anyway.

Horsebite said:
but I am curious: is it possible to play as a (mostly) peaceful civilization who's focus is on economy and culture?

If my last game is any indication...NO! Playing on the Prince difficulty, I was France and the Aztec army spawned a huge army and took over my capital.

In that game I had a major gripe...I didn't get stonehenge even though I unlocked through social policiies, quite early thanks to France's special abiliity, the faster wonder construction. ARGH! Egypt must have been a Civ or the game just wanted to cheat its way to Stonehenge...I went straight for it. I mean even in Civ IV...if you go for Stonehenge from the get go you'll build it.

Bumping up the speed to Quick was a good idea...it's just too slow otherwise. Can't imagine playing on Marathon. Overall, I'm still not digging the game. Civ IV had me more addicted.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
Gaming Truth said:
Where is my Iron?

Iron is a "strategic resource" which means you only get to utilize so much of it at any one time. So you can only have a certain number of swordsman(or other unit that requires iron) on the map and to increase that, you must find an additional source. Horses, uranium and others are like this as well.

All this talk of EU3 is making me want to go back to it. Not because Civ is under-delivering for me, but just because EU3 is sooooo good. :drool:

Anyway--anybody have an answer to my above questions about "attaching" great generals to a unit and whether that is possible?

iam220

Spl1nter said:
Its not even about being realistic. Its about being limited in choice in a sandbox world. Personally I think thats a negative for gameplay in a sandbox game.

Hrm, the post I replied to did make it sound like realism was your main gripe ... but I digress.
The game is no more a sandbox than it is a simulation.

Spl1nter

zoku88 said:
But if you look at most of society, the changes are actually very gradual.
You have choice, you just have to do it gradually.
You have choice, it's just that the choice are hard choices.
Yes change in history can be gradual or quick but nevertheless absolute change occurs. I can keep bringing up examples from history if you want. A societal decision in the past was never a hard choice for any civilization over time.

zoku88 said:
And Civ IS NOT a sandbox game. Not even close. There are clear winning conditions and thus optimal ways to achieve those conditions. It's not like EU3, where the goal is just to do whatever you want. And Civ, there is a clear goal: to win.
just because there is a goal doesn't mean its not a sandbox game.....

iam220 said:
Hrm, the post I replied to did make it sound like realism was your main gripe ... but I digress.
The game is no more a sandbox than it is a simulation.
Ya my fault I didn't mean simulation in the realistic sense of certain other games. Instead in the context that the game simulates the change of humanity over time.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Anyway--anybody have an answer to my above questions about "attaching" great generals to a unit and whether that is possible?

I haven't been able to do it. I think you gotta move them manually every turn. I think it is better that way anyhow that even if you lose a unit you don't automatically lose the general...who you should keep behind your units or on the same hex as a powerful unit(so he doesn't die).

Anyhow...does anyone have any good tech stratedgies as of yet? Are people mostly going to the top-middle-or bottom of the tech tree early? I know it depends on your resources and civ and whatnot but I find myself getting spread out amongst the different paths and losing focus on whatever I'm not teching. It's like the game is set up where you need every tech but you have to choose this over that. Quite a different tree than IV where choices were much more clearer IMO on what should be researched.

zoku88

Spl1nter said:
Yes change in history can be gradual or quick but nevertheless absolute change occurs. I can keep bringing up examples from history if you want. A societal decision in the past was never a hard choice for any civilization over time.
And I could bring up even more to show you that they are very rare. Most changes are gradual. You can, if you want, throw away the choices you did earlier in this game (changes to an incompatible tree.)

And yes, they WERE hard choices. That's why abrupt changes usually came from revolutions

just because there is a goal doesn't mean its not a sandbox game.....
Civ is in no way a sandbox game. It's as much of a sandbox game as Starcraft is...

Ledsen

So is this game a lot better than Civ IV? I bought Civ IV and expansions during the Steam sale, and I'm debating whether I should just get into that or buy and jump straight into V...

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Horsebite said:
I am curious: is it possible to play as a (mostly) peaceful civilization who's focus is on economy and culture? I'd like to win the game by winning the space race. Most other civ building games you have random civilizations declaring war on you for NO reason whatsoever and you're constantly fighting off idiotic attackers and can't fund research.

Please tell me I don't have to worry about that in Civ5? I'm sure occasionally you'll have raiders/barbarians occasionally, but as you get more advanced, is it really a big problem?

The first game I played I went for a diplomatic victory by making friends with as many of the countries and city states as I could. I was never attacked by anyone but the barbarians and i was the "most loved person" in the world on one of those progress reports that pops up every so often. I didnt finish the game but if i would have built the UN, Might have been voted president of the world! :D

Two things I don't like so far. I can't trade for others maps. I want me maps. Also, the workers are kind of limited in their automated function. They started removing all my farms and putting down trading posts and I lost a lot of civilians. So be careful when you put them on auto. I did it so they would build all the tedious railroads themselves.

Played a couple games of the demo and so far it's pretty awesome. There are a couple annoying interface changes between this and Civ 4 that I dislike, but the new combat system and pretty graphics make up for it.

That being said the game is annoyingly slow between turns. There is a solid couple seconds between turns and this is only at the beginning of the game when things should be at their quickest. And my computer is well above the recommended specs. Guess I'm just gonna have to learn to be patient.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Saying Civ is a sandbox is like saying Chess is a sandbox.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dr. Pangloss said:
Two things I don't like so far. I can't trade for others maps. I want me maps. Also, the workers are kind of limited in their automated function. They started removing all my farms and putting down trading posts and I lost a lot of civilians. So be careful when you put them on auto. I did it so they would build all the tedious railroads themselves.
Pretty sure the workers priorities are based on what a city's current production setting is assigned to, so if you switch a city to focus on culture instead of balanced workers will start redoing the tile improvements for that city as appropriate.

Willectro

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
Also, is there a way to stop the damn intro movie from playing each time? I'd rather just watch a loading screen.

\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\UserSettings.ini

About 15 lines down, set
SkipIntroVideo = 1

Several hours into a game as the Japanese and I have wiped out the Germans, Iriquious, Chinese, and captured Cape Town, Brussels and I think one other city-state

Destroying the Romans and Songhai might be hard, they each control an entire continent and I don't feel like going for any more wars due to all their alliances with city-states..............but maybe when I out-tech them and have paratroopers and tanks I'll roll in for conquest :D

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
will52 said:

About 15 lines down, set
SkipIntroVideo = 1

Thanks for that. I've been getting sick of the opening video also.

leng jai

Game UK shipped my CE yesterday so I should have it by Tuesday if I'm lucky.

This will be my first Civ game. Tried the demo and it ran really well on my rig at 1080p with everything on high and it ran really well albeit with not much happening on the screen. This is on a Q6600 @ 3Ghz, Asus GTX460 1GB @ 900mhz, 4GB RAM using Windows 7. Will have to read up on how to actually play as I was trying to play it like an RTS and that didn't go well.

Ive played 2 unfinished games so far.

First game on Cheiftan as Russia;

Started at a nice spot, wheat, horses, fish, dyes, silk, lots of forests and rivers. Huge map setting. Lots of iron depostits nearby. Marathon mode.

Spent many of my first turns scouting the continent and making workers. Fought a LOT Of barbarians the entire game, because there wasnt much else. The continent was HUGE...I mean REALLY HUGE, and there were only 2 city states, France, and England to share it with. On top of that they were basically all hundreds of miles away from me. I expanded up to 4 cities and still only grabbed about a quarter of the habitable land that was available (did I mention my starting continent was huge?)

Did missions for a couple of the city states which mostly consisted of killing barbarians and building a road to one of them. Noticed the easy AI (france and england) were pretty boring. England wanted a pact of secrecy against France, and I managed to sign a research agreement with France.

Played this game for a while, but got kinda bored since it was apparent the only combat that would start would have to be initiated by me, and the AI looked really easy to smash at cheiftan level. I also didnt feel like waiting 20 turns just to move military units to the closest border (England) before declaring war.

Second Game;

Playing as Egypt, Large map, Marathon - Not far into this one and I will likely restart, I like the fast build on wonders but my starting area is really bad. I'm stuck on a peninsula thats mostly desert leading into tundra in one direction, and more desert and a city-state (Florence) leading into the continent (which, after scouting, reveals mostly desert, Aztecs, England, a couple more city states, and the Iroqious which seem to have the only significantly green area on the continent. Continent is about 30% smaller than the one from game 1, so I will probably use the same map settings when I restart.

Overall Impressions;

I love the interface. Its very slick for the typical tasks you spend a lot of time on (building improvements with workers, moving units, etc.) 1UPT is an awesome change and I can't wait to get into some real warfare action.

City-states I think will be interesting and I might actually go for diplomatic victories now, since the inclusion of city-states and how they affect voting should satisfy my bloodthirst for world domination. I'll probably allow both as winning option.

Diplomacy feels like its missing something and I need more information than whats given. Its easy to see a city-states relation to you but not the major civilizations. I have no idea what a Pact of Secrecy actually does mechanics-wise, although it sounds fun. Research pacts are the worst change. Really, I had to give up 600 gold and wait 90 freaking turns to get a RANDOM research? I know this was on Marathon mode but damn...I could research about 3 other techs in that time frame. :lol You should at least be able to pick a target tech. It also means I will be making a lot less trips to the diplomacy screen in Civ V, because I won't be trading for techs. Maybe this was more of a multiplayer balance change?

AI can be kinda dumb. I watched for about 200 turns as a english warrior unit was pinned down by a barbarian trireme. The trireme would shoot the warrior with its ranged attack and the warrior would just fortify and heal the damage the next turn. They were still at it when I quit the game having reached the medieval era too.

Ruins are the new barbarian huts, and its cool to find the natural wonders. I like how you can see your city wonders appear inside the city radius on the map, I guess they can be razed now?

No technical problems on my end. Windows 7 64-bit, 4gb ram, Q6600 2.4ghz processor, gts260 (had a 8800GTX that burned out last month). Running at 1680x1050 with nearly all setting at max and I think 2xAA. Tiny bit of frame drop when zooming out really fast, but I mainly play zoomed it anyways.

Wallach

Fuck, not being able to buy this has destroyed my soul.

I think I'm going to cave and just re-do my current budgeting while fudging this in somewhere. Maybe write it off under food.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
Fuck, not being able to buy this has destroyed my soul.

I think I'm going to cave and just re-do my current budgeting while fudging this in somewhere. Maybe write it off under food.

Civilization is food for the mind, body and soul, so that works.

Cday

Banned
There should be a special alert mode for subs that only wakes them if they spot a naval unit. Actually, by default their alert shouldn't be affected by land units.

Ledsen

Ledsen said:
So is this game a lot better than Civ IV? I bought Civ IV and expansions during the Steam sale, and I'm debating whether I should just get into that or buy and jump straight into V...

anyone?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's different. It's better in that it's a lot more polished, friendlier to new players and (as far as I can tell) balanced.

But although they share many traits they feel like unique games. The only thing that remains constant is, besides visual similarity, the thrill of building your civilization from scratch and seeing them flourish.

Try a Civ IV game, then try the demo if you can get it. Although that might take you about 8-10 hours.

ZZMitch

zoku88 said:
It's different. My style of play in Civ IV and V are pretty different, I notice.

Yeah, I prefer Civ V because I seem to have a lot less time where I arn't really doing anything, because there is so much going on with the City States and stuff. With Civ V I always feel like I have a task to complete.

Ryuukan

Running the Dxsetup that came with the game completely solved the DX11 crashing for me. Looks so much better than DX9 mode.

Oh, and China's special longbow archer that can attack twice per round is nuts with a great general along.

jonnyp

Zefah said:
I'm forced to agree with him, too. I've only played for about 4 hours, but civilizations definitely feel a lot less unique to me than they did in Civ IV. Maybe my opinion will change as I go on, but that is my current impression.

I agree with him too after trying the demo last night. It's still a fun game of course but some of the design and UI decisions they've made just baffle me.

vpance

Question for road upkeep. Does the trade route income from connecting cities usually offset the cost? Looking at the income sources I see 3gpt from my trade route between 2 cities, but there are like 6 road tiles to make the connection.. so it's a 3g loss. But I guess it shouldn't really be looked as a loss, but a discount? Since the roads are used for travel too.

Mobius 1

Impressions from a full game:

Good:
The user interface is a great improvement. It has some inconsistencies and in the late game it could be more helpful, but its still a step in the right direction from Civ IV.

The presentation is fantastic. Choosing Art Deco as motif was a great decision. It feels polished and classy, yet non-intrusive. The icons are beautiful, the fonts are easy to read, the color selection is great.

Graphics are phenomenal. The world feels a lot more organic. It still looks like Civ, but with an extra layer of polish. The cities in particular are fantastic as they grow outside their natural limits and sprawl over the adjacent hexes.

The AI is more interesting now, making better decisions and being more proactive when threatened. As some have pointed, they have a better sense of self-preservation when a threat is imminent, even though that can lead to some hilarious deals being offered.

Combat is infinitely more interesting. Having to plan the movement and retreat of units in a tactical way in order to maximize their effectiveness brings another level of depth to the game. Another nice touch: when a civilian unit is captured, it can be rescued - at least from the barbarians.

Social Policies are great. You get to shape your civ in a more intimate way than with the more broad options of the past games.

The streamlined Happiness and Gold systems make the game flow much better and eliminate the chore of managing them on a city-level basis.

Not having to link map resources to the trade network using roads saves some headaches.

Naval blockades now are more evident and you get notifications when they're in effect.

Buying tiles eases the pain of border expansion, especially when you found a city just outside the reach of that outcrop of Marble in order to benefit from the Fish in the shoreline, and great to link up isolated, yet close cities.

Not so good:
I'm not enjoying the soundtrack. Civ IV had a fantastic selection of music for each era, not to mention Baba Yetu. I actually learned about some of the composers and went on to discover more about them after hearing them in the last game. The Civ V soundtrack is by no means bad, but it doesn't appeal to me.

Workers in the late game are a major chore. The auto-improve option doesn't let me choose between improve the road network and tiles, so upgrading to railroads is a major pain. Maybe I'm missing something here.

I miss religion. I know the system was not very compelling and only caused conflict in Civ IV, but I feel religion is a major part of human history and there should be a way to represent it in game in a competent way. Here is hoping for an expansion including it.

Leaders could have been a little more animated and have more varied reactions to bring them to life.

I love the Wonder paintings, but I was really fond of the videos from Civ IV. I loved seeing them come to life from sketch to final building, even if they were not photo-realistic.

Era-changing paintings are a little sub-par. They should have been painted in the Art Deco style of the icons.

City-States: I feel they could have been fleshed out a bit more to give them character. Even a unique painting of said city would have helped... right now they just feel like color swaps. I do like the dynamic they bring to the diplomacy, although their missions could also be more varied.

I'm really happy with it, though, and I don't think its in anyway a step back from Civ IV. I only fear for my life now :lol

Sober

Palmer_v1 said:
Not sure if this is a glitch, or intentional, but apparently Optics does not give the embarkation upgrade to scouts. It's bizarre because an upgraded scout is the only unit that can learn embarkation on it's own anyway.
AFAIK from playing the demo, you need to bring your scouts (and other units) back to your borders for them to pick up the upgrade.

No_Style

Norante said:
Not so good:

Workers in the late game are a major chore. The auto-improve option doesn't let me choose between improve the road network and tiles, so upgrading to railroads is a major pain. Maybe I'm missing something here.

I haven't reached railroads yet, but in Civ IV you can use the route 2 function and workers will build railroads over the roads. Give that a try?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I got rocked on Prince. If I had built my second city away from Ramses I wouldn't have pissed him off with my superior culture. smh

WEGGLES

Oh man.

Played the demo. It lasted almost 2 hours. Felt like 2 minutes.

Want this game so bad. :lol

I played Civ 4, since I've had it.... ehhhh. Feels so much older than Civ 5, not just graphics either. The interface and everything.

I'd buy Civ 5 right now, but my mom needed birth day ideas... so I can't buy it now :{.

KaYotiX

Banned
Archie said:
I got rocked on Prince. If I had built my second city away from Ramses I wouldn't have pissed him off with my superior culture. smh
I can already tell I'm going to hate Egypt, He kept telling me my civilization was small and crappy lol. First chance I get I'm going to steamroll him with my gunpowder upgrade lol

will52 said:

About 15 lines down, set
SkipIntroVideo = 1

You are a hero.

Sober said:
AFAIK from playing the demo, you need to bring your scouts (and other units) back to your borders for them to pick up the upgrade.
Yep, this is true in full game as well. I thought the game was borked at first too.

My current game:

Playing as the French... I went to war with Rome to protect a city state. Can't remember which. My empire was kind of a C around Rome's so I was hitting them on two fronts. I took a city from them and they wanted peace. I took it, since Montezuma had a huge army at one of my frontier towns, but after killing two of his units, he wanted peace. I accepted, because my army wasn't close enough to stop him from taking that city.

So I had a huge army (about 10 units + general) with nowhere to go, so I declared War on Siam to defend another City State, figuring I'll just use wars to ally it up this way. Well, I get there, and kill 2 of the three Siamese units, and then Rio makes peace with them. No quest completion for me! But... Siam has like no military at all, so I conquer two of their cities, and life is good... until Lady Wu backstabs me!

Sooo... my empire is now roughly N shaped. China is in between the crossbar and one of the legs (made up of my two new Siamese cities). They send half their army towards those (where my army is), and the other half towards my main empire (where I've got no one!). Meanwhile, suddenly my economy is collapsing, and a few units in my army get disbanded. I abandon the Siamese cities (irony: Rio who allied with China right before they declared war, conquers one of them, when I was only over there to save their asses).

My small army (2 arches, a pikeman, and a longswordsman) conquers Chinese Budapest, which I liberate. Meanwhile, Lyon is under siege by about 8 Chinese units, but is holding them off remarkably well. It only needs to hold out 2 more turns for me to get my first musketeer, when it sadly falls :(

I've got it back now, and China is in for a world of pain and suffering as soon as I get a couple of Musketeers completed.

(I <3 this game)

Top Bottom