• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Zzoram

Man achievements are a bit bugged. I just won as Greece on a Duel map at Prince difficulty and got none of the achievements for that.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Ironically I reinstalled Civ4 and I'm gonna give Fall From Heaven II a whirl soonish. Hopefully Kael is working on a Civ5 iteration.

Animator

I just nuked a barbarian tribe whose highest technological achievement is a bow :lol

Time to start a new game with a higher difficulty and a different leader.

Seth C

trinest said:
For those who have played the demo- how long is it and what does it allow access to?

You get to play as one of three leaders/countries (Persia, Greece, Egypt), each of which has a unique map (same map each time you play as a specific ruler). You get 100 turns and then the game ends.

Akim

Banned
Seth C said:
You get to play as one of three leaders/countries (Persia, Greece, Egypt), each of which has a unique map (same map each time you play as a specific ruler). You get 100 turns and then the game ends.

and 100 turns is definitely not enough!

zoku88

DurielBlack said:
Wait, they really did take that out?

I forsee I will not be seeing much of the diplomacy screen at all in Civ V. Technology trading seems like a bust, and now no map trading?
I like the new tech "trading". Both civilizations get a technology that neither has. Useful if you're so advanced that you're just technologically ahead of everyone else, anyway.

Seth C

Akim said:

It was enough to bore me on my fifth time through. Haha. I love Civ 3 and 4 but the demo just really is not doing it for me. I'm going to wait on a price drop.

eznark

Banned
zoku88 said:
I like the new tech "trading". Both civilizations get a technology that neither has. Useful if you're so advanced that you're just technologically ahead of everyone else, anyway.

Definitely my least favorite part of the game so far.

Reading Chick's review I really do agree with the text. I think he was maybe overly harsh but clearly he values the diplomacy aspect more than I do.

Mobius 1

eznark said:
Definitely my least favorite part of the game so far.

Reading Chick's review I really do agree with the text. I think he was maybe overly harsh but clearly he values the diplomacy aspect more than I do.

Can I have a linky to that review?

I forgot to mention the nuclear attack animation. Now it DOES looks like a proper hydrogen flare :lol :lol

zoku88 said:

Admittedly I only have had enough time with the game to do one Research Treaty but it seemed about worthless. For 600 gold and 90 turns I could get a new random tech. Now this was marathon mode but 90 turns seemed a bit far-fetched when every available tech to be researched on my tree at the time could have been done in about 30-35 turns.
You also don't get to control the tech you get, and may end up with something thats worthless to your plans.

I'll reserve final judgement for when I have had more play time.

Oh, and its one more thing you can't trade to civs to keep them happy or to get access to strategic resources which are even more key now that they are limited.

zoku88

DurielBlack said:
Admittedly I only have had enough time with the game to do one Research Treaty but it seemed about worthless. For 600 gold and 90 turns I could get a new random tech. Now this was marathon mode but 90 turns seemed a bit far-fetched when every available tech to be researched on my tree at the time could have been done in about 30-35 turns.
You also don't get to control the tech you get, and may end up with something thats worthless to your plans.

I'll reserve final judgement for when I have had more play time.

Oh, and its one more thing you can't trade to civs to keep them happy or to get access to strategic resources which are even more key now that they are limited.
Well, I mean. It's true that you could research a tech or two at the same time that you could do a research agreement for, however, does that really matter? Cleary, 3 techs during the period that you're talking about is better than the 2 that you said you could get done in that frame.

Anyway, none of that matters. Tech trading always seemd kind of "cheap" to me.

Cobra84

Akim said:
Maybe I just suck, but its not even close to enough to even get a good feel for the game. Too many of those turns are wasted doing basic upgrades and getting to a decent level. Unless you go all out army, you really can't do anything worthwhile.

how laptop friendy is this game? Mine has kinda ok graphic card. Ati 4570. I could play Mass Effect and similar games. Core2Duo and 4GB.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Tech trading is especially difficult to balance in this game when they clearly didn't want you grabbing techs left and right. Some of the dependencies make it so that you pretty much need all of them to advance.

WEGGLES

eznark said:
Respect +10

1Up just picked up an extra life in my opinion. Been worried for a while now that they'd simply gone the route of other review sites - placating to the developers and apathetically serving as a mouthpiece of advertising.
But look at that . . . an honest, in-the-trenches review! Good on you. Please keep 'em coming.

Finally a reviewer who doesn't take kickbacks

Tom, I often wonder if IGN and the rest are taking kickbacks -- they always rate expensive franchise games highly, even though as a player I can't understand their enthusiasm. As a Civilization fanatic I can already tell I'll agree with you when I play this game. Thanks for being a voice I trust. And thank you as well for your excellent writing in this review. It shows a care and an eye for detail that I admire. --niftyc

Tom Chick: One of the last honest reviewers left.

If this reviewer cared about any of your opinions concerning his credibility, he would've stopped writing reviews a long time ago.
At least he's backing up his score with facts, not hyperbole like "In case you haven't guessed already, Grand Theft Auto IV is a game that you simply have to play." (Gamespot) or "Heavy Rain is a hell of an experience." (IGN) Umm... No, GTA IV was not a game I had to play and yes, Heavy Rain was a hell of an experience in the literal sense.
Good reviewers are like non-obese Americans. They're few and far between and they refuse to drink the Kool-aid. Learn from Tom Chick, future game writers! Learn, I say!

Thanks Tom

Thank you Tom Chick for taking your job seriously. It's near impossible to find an honest review nowadays. Keep up the good work.

Give great game bad score, get praise from morons.
I hate the internet so much....

Zzoram

I personally find myself enjoying Civ V way more than Civ IV. The reduced number of units means way less tedious micromanagement of 100+ units.

I think the people having trouble enjoying it are just trying to play it like Civ IV. This game has different rules and needs to be played differently. Production is scarce so you can't waste hammers on stuff you don't need, really forcing you to specialize at all difficulties in a way that only Diety did in Civ IV. As for playing peaceful victories, just make a few troops and put them on your borders and don't sign open borders with anyone. The AI won't attack you because they won't be able to tell how much of an army you have but can see several military units at the border defending (works as long as they're not too outdated).

The lack of tech trading is fine, the new system is more balanced and helps both parties equally whereas the old system the AI would always demand much higher value techs from you for outdated tech from them. All it did was make the game harder because every trade with the AI would put you further behind (especially at higher difficulties).

Combat is so much improved that I don't hate it anymore and will do the occasional Domination or Conquest. In Civ IV I would just always go for Space Race or Cultural Victory because I hated micromanaging hundreds of units in the Modern Era. I would just befriend someone strong and sign a defense pact, after which point nobody would ever attack us.

this is a good game so far. one thing i like is that it takes away the tinge of urgency i felt in 4. everything is drawn out and metered so that you have plenty of time to micro-manage, which i love.

it doesnt seem to be as congratulatory as 4 when you build stuff. civ 4 seemed excited when you built a library lol. civ 5 is more like meh...whats next

i dont like the way you have coddle the city states to stay in their good graces. im pretty sure one day im gonna say fukkit and try to eliminate every one i meet

i miss the way you can see your troops defending a city in civ 4 too

overall i love the slower more meticulous pace of 5 so far, but for fun factor i gotta give it to 4. maybe my thoughts will change once i adapt

oh and like others, my game keeps crashing for no reason

Haly

I agree with some of his points, but C is a pretty ludicrous score.

Civ V is not Civ IV, that was pretty clear from since they announced it, I'm pretty sure they pressed this fact. It's a different game that keeps most of the old assets, it's a sequel in name.

Judging it by saying "but but but Civ IV had this why doesn't V" is just retarded fanboyism. It should be viewed on its own merits. And the AI/bugs are pretty much the only valid complaints you can have about it.

Also, defending an imabalanced mechanic simply because AI could abuse it in lieu of better decision making is truly :lol worthy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Giant Bomb QL reignited my urge to play this. Going to sink into the demo for an hour or two in a couple of minutes.

edit: Not that my urge ever faded, I've just been so preoccupied these last few days.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I eagerly await the mod that puts Baba Yetu back as the title music. I'm searching CivFanatics right now to no avail.

Archie said:
I was reading the CivFanatics forum and there is alot of hate for the game. I love it so *shrug*
Someone made a nice comparison post showing the topics shitting on Civ4 compared to Civ3 when it came out. Lots of the same things.

I love both, but I really love Civ5 so far.

Zengar

I've just tried the demo and I'm loving it. I have some questions though. How do I acquire a resource outside my city's border? By Building a city near it or just building a road to it? Do I have to build an improvement on it for it to connect to my trade network?
Thanks.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Someone made a nice comparison post showing the topics shitting on Civ4 compared to Civ3 when it came out. Lots of the same things.

I love both, but I really love Civ5 so far.

Yeah, I saw that thread. Civ5 can seem kinda barren compared to Civ4, but I think people are forgetting what vanilla Civ4 was like. That game had five years to mature into the product it is today. I'm sure Civ5 will be a totally different beast in 2015, and then people will bitch about Civ6 stating that it isn't as good as its prequel.

trinest

Played the demo- was really slow paced and made the game feel more "relaxing" and by the time War was declared on me the game ended in a few turns later. :(

Zzoram

Most of the CivFanatics hate is actually about Steam. Apparently nobody their knew about Steam before Civ V was announced to use Steamworks. They freaked out and regularly call it a virus that spams your email and slows your computer.

Archie said:
Yeah, I saw that thread. Civ5 can seem kinda barren compared to Civ4, but I think people are forgetting what vanilla Civ4 was like. That game had five years to mature into the product it is today. I'm sure Civ5 will be a totally different beast in 2015, and then people will bitch about Civ6 stating that it isn't as good as its prequel.

My thoughts too, although I will say I've never warmed to Civ 3.

I want 5 but I've barely put a dent in 4. I bought the complete pack on Steam two sales ago and still haven't even installed the expansions. :(

Half the time I'm stuck on the menu screen just to listen to Baba Yetu.

zoku88

VGChampion said:
I want 5 but I've barely put a dent in 4. I bought the complete pack on Steam two sales ago and still haven't even installed the expansions. :(

Half the time I'm stuck on the menu screen just to listen to Baba Yetu.
:lol :lol

You could've just put the thing on windowed mode and played Baba Yetu in the background so that you could actually play the game :lol :lol

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Just as I was getting ready to kick some ass the demo ended. Motherfucker.
This will be my first Civ game (and the end of my social life?).

Haly

I find it funny that though Civ 5 is turn based and putting it on hold doesn't deprive you of anything, it is still better at keeping you on the computer than other games.

trinest

TheQueen'sOwn said:
Just as I was getting ready to kick some ass the demo ended. Motherfucker.
:lol

Same thing happend to me (see post a few posts up).

Flipping annoyed me- it was fun but not $80 fun.

Animator

Is there a way to display\select your units on the map from a list? I have a bitch of a time finding my units when the map is big.

Sober

Archie said:
I eagerly await the mod that puts Baba Yetu back as the title music. I'm searching CivFanatics right now to no avail.
Unless it's super complicated, I think all you need to do is convert the mp3 from Civ4 into a .wav file then just rename it to the file in \Assets\Sound\Streaming\ or whatever.

Is the Civilopedia available in the main menu? If not they should patch that in soon, if at least to get more time with the main theme. Also, so I don't have to load up a game to read it or anything, like in Civ4.

Animator said:
Is there a way to display\select your units on the map from a list? I have a bitch of a time finding my units when the map is big.
Click the panel where your research is (top left corner), it'll open up a list where you can sort your units/cities/etc.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Whoompthereitis said:
Bought this today. First time Civ player. So far it's intimidating, despite how 'friendly' they've made it for first timers. If I set my workers to 'auto build', will that be a pretty safe way to start out?

Any tips if I wanna focus on military might? I'd like to reap and pillage my way through the land.
Setting the workers to auto is probably best for a new player, you've got enough going on elsewhere.

For military tips, building a barracks is good, gives units from that city a little boost. Stables should do the same for mounted units. Use your ranged units to soften up the enemy then send in your close combat bros. Terrain bonuses are nice unless the enemy is benefiting from them, so watch out for that. That might be Captain Obvious stuff but I'm just starting out myself, still waiting for the unlock, FFFUUUU...

I've never seen the steam neogaf group so completely dominated by one title :lol

Guess I'll head back in and try the demo a few more times while lamenting the state of my funding.

Top Bottom