• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Zing said:
Did you even play Civ IV? Ignoring your hyperbole, you never needed an extreme amount of units in a stack. I think my record in Civ IV was something like 10.

Actually, I played the shit out of Civ IV. I just got tired of people being able to stack 20 damn units on a single city. I think the new method of one per tile works perfectly, since it makes for more strategic offense & defense.

moojito

I was saddened to see no tutorial option in the demo! I fired up a game and had no clue what I was doing. If any of you folks see some kind of walkthrough or guide to the demo, please make with the linky! I think I'll tire of the demo quickly if it's just a case of having to click random things to see what they do.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Nope, install process asks for serial before it lets you do a thing, and once you enter the serial it says the game isn't released yet.

fanboi

Banned
Ikuu said:
Nope, install process asks for serial before it lets you do a thing, and once you enter the serial it says the game isn't released yet.

But before you install, activate the proxy. Work?

You can use hotspotshield

Aaron

dollartaco said:
I played the demo. It was fun. On the other hand, I'm not sure why I wouldn't just play Civ4 instead. Seems almost like a new Madden.
Not sure why you stopped in this thread on your way to Crazytown.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Posted over at CF:
I present to you, "Civ3 WAY BETTER than Civ4" wharrrgarbbbl. CivFanatic forum headlines from Civ4's release five years ago.

Lions attacking units... How stupid is that!? (Multi-page thread 1 2)
Entire Game is a bug (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)
Stupid, Evil Civ IV...
This game is making me mad
TRAGEDY ! How could we COMPARE ?
Civ IV: good, but plenty of bad (Multi-page thread 1 2)
Its the little things the make me INSANE!
Poor Performance
Half Baked Release
Shame on Gamespot and IGN!! (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
Why is this game so highly rated? 'myrantings' (Multi-page thread 1 2)
What a let down!
Civ 4 works for me, but I'm still angry!
This game should have been tested longer? (Multi-page thread 1 2)
The spearman just beated my tank , this game sux and its retarded
What in Sid's name is wrong with the multiplayer server selection window?!?!
Useless Advisors (Multi-page thread 1 2)
With All the Complaints, is it worth buying? (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)

And many more!!

MjFrancis

Solstice said:
Actually, I played the shit out of Civ IV. I just got tired of people being able to stack 20 damn units on a single city. I think the new method of one per tile works perfectly, since it makes for more strategic offense & defense.
So far, I'm loving the new combat system. I usually play a more peaceful Civ, but it's been a blast using Nobunaga to blitzkrieg through the entirety of my starting continent. Well, I've let two city-states maintain their independence, but I've already got my armies moving south to take care of Hanoi. After that it's time to take to the sea and annihilate the rest of the world's civilizations! It's only 1200 AD, so we'll see if I can mop things up before the modern era.

If I've learned anything about the quirks of Civ V combat, it's that Great Generals are priceless additions to the front lines. It's nice having them separate from individual units so I can position them for maximum coverage. I pretty much station 2-3 catapults within firing range of a city before I declare war so they can strike first before they get softened up too badly. I sweep a few Samurai or Swordsmen from another direction and it's done in 1-3 turns. If I'm ever on the other side of the coin, I'm making sure my cities buy enough hexes to keep siege weapons at bay before war starts and keeping a few units around the city so the capital can hold on a bit longer than this.

I'm pretty sure the Bushido ability is helping this wanton hostility go so smoothly, too. :D

XiaNaphryz

Also out of curiosity, have the people that are running into issues with the AI tried playing at harder difficulties? I remember the devs saying they'll make better choices at higher difficulties, whereas it'll be more random at lower ones. Just curious how much of a difference people may have seen yet.

XiaNaphryz said:
Also out of curiosity, have the people that are running into issues with the AI tried playing at harder difficulties? I remember the devs saying they'll make better choices at higher difficulties, whereas it'll be more random at lower ones. Just curious how much of a difference people may have seen yet.

from what the pc gamer uk review said. Increased difficulty only gives the AI opponents resource multipliers. Which is pretty shit.

MjFrancis

Increased difficulty only gives the AI additional resources? Can anyone else confirm?

I'm on the default difficulty, first game still, and I assumed the AI is handicapped at this level. They have pulled off some competent maneuvers from time to time, but they can make some ridiculous choices. Leading a counterattack with a few armies of archers comes to mind.

It's hard to give a solid critique at this point, only first impressions, since the Civ games take a good bit of time and the variety of options at this point. None of the Civs have even been tiered according to their imbalances yet - you would have to play them all at least once to get an idea of who's overpowered and who's nerfed.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
MrPing1000 said:
from what the pc gamer uk review said. Increased difficulty only gives the AI opponents resource multipliers. Which is pretty shit.

PC Gamer are wrong. One of the devs said on the 2 hour live stream that the AI evaluates the available options and will choose based on their comparative strategic values. The higher the difficulty level, the better the choice it makes.

Dishing out higher resource multipliers would be useless if the AI is incapable of making a smart decision.

Deadman

Steam wont let me play which sucks, but at least I have the amazing tech tree diagram to look at.

Games that come with tech tree diagrams >>> games that don't.

pix

MrPing1000 said:

Although that does happen, the AI changes as well. It was said on the live 2K stream I believe that when the opponents turn comes around, they will evalutate all possible moves. The lower difficulty AI will not always make the best move, whereas the higher difficulty AI will make better choices.

edit: beaten, fail :(

Totakeke

Uh, Civ AI at higher difficulties basically meant having skewed multipliers and extra resources in their favor. Civ V is no different. The easier difficulty AI are dumber, but that's just because they gimped them purposely. I wouldn't really expect much from the AI regardless of what they say. It's a game with a lot of variables to consider after all.

Here's what the manual says.

Effects of Difficulty
“Prince” is the middle level. On that level neither you nor your AI opponents get any particular
bonuses. On levels below Prince you get bonuses in happiness and maintenance costs,
and you get better results from Ancient Ruins. Barbarians are less aggressive and less smart
on lower levels, as well.
On levels higher than Prince, the AIs receive increasing bonuses in city growth, production,
and technology. They may also get additional starting units and free techs to boot.

eznark

Banned
MmmSkyscraper said:
PC Gamer are wrong. One of the devs said on the 2 hour live stream that the AI evaluates the available options and will choose based on their comparative strategic values. The higher the difficulty level, the better the choice it makes.

Dishing out higher resource multipliers would be useless if the AI is incapable of making a smart decision.

I don't know, so far multiple folks have claimed this is the case. I haven't cranked up the difficulty as I'm still on my first (amazingly awesome) play through.

Cday

Banned
D2D says the Digital Deluxe content is stored here

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\DLC\DLC_Deluxe\

No such folder exists...

MmmSkyscraper said:

Page 14 of the manual:
On levels higher than Prince, the AIs receive increasing bonuses in city growth, production,
and technology. They may also get additional starting units and free techs to boot.

That's the way it was in Civ IV too except 100 times worse since you would have the AI building 20 unit deep stacks on their cities every 10 turns.

razgriz417 said:
Hey guys, I'm thinking bout getting Civ 5, tried and loved the demo but the 2k forums are riddled with people having technical problems with the game. Has anyone here had the game crash or bug out repeatedly?

I think I mentioned before that I can't use the strategic view anymore because it crashes my game. I'm hoping that Firaxis is getting a lot of data from Steamworks.

Eh, just crashed trying to gift a unit to a city-state.

XiaNaphryz

Cday said:
That's the way it was in Civ IV too.
That's the way it's always been in Civ. But I wouldn't necessarily take no mention in the manual on it as proof it's not there as I'm sure there's plenty of under-the-hood stuff not mentioned, hence why I was asking if people have seen anything yet from gameplay impressions.

Magicked

MjFrancis said:
So far, I'm loving the new combat system. I usually play a more peaceful Civ, but it's been a blast using Nobunaga to blitzkrieg through the entirety of my starting continent. Well, I've let two city-states maintain their independence, but I've already got my armies moving south to take care of Hanoi. After that it's time to take to the sea and annihilate the rest of the world's civilizations! It's only 1200 AD, so we'll see if I can mop things up before the modern era.

If I've learned anything about the quirks of Civ V combat, it's that Great Generals are priceless additions to the front lines. It's nice having them separate from individual units so I can position them for maximum coverage. I pretty much station 2-3 catapults within firing range of a city before I declare war so they can strike first before they get softened up too badly. I sweep a few Samurai or Swordsmen from another direction and it's done in 1-3 turns. If I'm ever on the other side of the coin, I'm making sure my cities buy enough hexes to keep siege weapons at bay before war starts and keeping a few units around the city so the capital can hold on a bit longer than this.

I'm pretty sure the Bushido ability is helping this wanton hostility go so smoothly, too. :D

This is pretty much exactly what I'm doing. Bushido is excellent, and Samurais are deadly and very tough. I'm even managing a war on two fronts with two different civs (although one is severely weakened from earlier attacks by yours truly.) I'm really enjoying the much improved combat in this game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
It is stupidly difficult to win the game with culture and science - I've built every wonder so far - have +600 culture and +1000 science Have only 30 turns left and i don't think I'll get to the utopia project - :/

Might not even make it to modern era

It's been my focus from the start and vie been pushing hard for it - why is it still difficult? Almost forcing my hand to be militaristic

DopeyFish said:
It is stupidly difficult to win the game with culture and science - I've built every wonder so far - have +600 culture and +1000 science Have only 30 turns left and i don't think I'll get to the utopia project - :/

It's been my focus from the start and vie been pushing hard for it - why is it still difficult? Almost forcing my hand to be militaristic

You can't simultaneously go culture and expand a lot, because each new city adds to the cost of social policies. You really need 3/4 very powerful cities for culture, but its not that difficult to do by any means.

XiaNaphryz

DopeyFish said:

Were all your cities focused on culture or science production? It seems that splitting between the two isn't really a viable option this time around. Expanding too much will hurt as well - see the Bollywood achievement for example, a 3 city Cultural Victory is supposed to be possible.

I really like the game so far, but the single stack thing got kind of annoying later in the game when I was invading countries.

Its like herding cats, and each turn took 10 minutes to move an army. The focus kept switching to the units in the back, even though they can't move until the front line moves. Wait doesn't put them in the back of the move order anymore, and kept switching back to the same siege unit.

Also, you can't make manual moves after the automated moves, which is kind of annoying. The automated moves only happen after you click End of Turn, but its not really end of turn. Because god forbid a unit is taking the place of where your unit will end up 5 turns from now, which will stop the automated movement, and I forgot where I wanted to place that specific unit.

Other then that, I just need to figure out my tech builds and all that jazz. Fun game overall.

I think I've spent about 12 hours now in game... since release, I stayed up playing till 2am (which is very late for me) because I couldn't put it down. This morning I was late to work because on my last turn last night, I produced a great artists and I couldn't wait to pop him on my border with Russia, setting the stage for her border city to flip (please tell me cities can still be flipped with culture).

I've warmed up to the new social policy system. It's better than gov't+religion. There's more room for customization, the policies are reasonably challenging to obtain, and there's long term implications to choosing the policy thats aligned with your goals. The only downside is that policies aren't factored into the personality of your Civ as well (or your competing civs). Policies are really just stat modifiers, but they are significant stat modifiers. For example, piety policies have significant effect on happiness, but you only ever see that reflected in the numbers, it would be nice to get that in the presentation of your civ somehow.

I can't say I've experienced bad AI like the reviewers have. Siam was moving in on Genoa, a city state right on my border. Siam was the most powerful civ at the time, and I wanted to keep them out of Genoa for fear of them encroaching on my borders. The best option was taking Genoa myself, as was with Siam would be very very bad. As friendly nations, we both moved in on Genoa from opposite sides, and I ended up taking the city. Siam became hostile towards me although I didn't attack any of their units. Siam's siege and melee units have been parked outside Genoas border on Siam's side. Additionally, I had a trade agreement for some luxury resources with Siam that expired during this time, and they won't establish any more agreements, squelching my happiness a bit, forcing me to accommodate for happiness by building some coliseums and be stuck with some extra luxury resources.

I could have also used Genoa as a proxy to fight back Siam by gifting military units (other civs dont see when you gift to city states), but it might have been a significant strain on my production, as I'm trying to gear up to take russia.

It just seems like the AI was making all the right moves.. playing on Prince difficulty.

Loving this game so much right now.

Gozan

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
It's Charles Napier. You know him from a TOOOONNNNNN of stuff.

Oh great, now I'll be thinking about Russ Meyer films when I play.

What do you mean "business as usual, then"?

MrCompletely said:
I think I've spent about 12 hours now in game... since release, I stayed up playing till 2am (which is very late for me) because I couldn't put it down. This morning I was late to work because on my last turn last night, I produced a great artists and I couldn't wait to pop him on my border with Russia, setting the stage for her border city to flip (please tell me cities can still be flipped with culture).

I've warmed up to the new social policy system. It's better than gov't+religion. There's more room for customization, the policies are reasonably challenging to obtain, and there's long term implications to choosing the policy thats aligned with your goals. The only downside is that policies aren't factored into the personality of your Civ as well (or your competing civs). Policies are really just stat modifiers, but they are significant stat modifiers. For example, piety policies have significant effect on happiness, but you only ever see that reflected in the numbers, it would be nice to get that in the presentation of your civ somehow.

I can't say I've experienced bad AI like the reviewers have. Siam was moving in on Genoa, a city state right on my border. Siam was the most powerful civ at the time, and I wanted to keep them out of Genoa for fear of them encroaching on my borders. The best option was taking Genoa myself, as was with Siam would be very very bad. As friendly nations, we both moved in on Genoa from opposite sides, and I ended up taking the city. Siam became hostile towards me although I didn't attack any of their units. Siam's siege and melee units have been parked outside Genoas border on Siam's side. Additionally, I had a trade agreement for some luxury resources with Siam that expired during this time, and they won't establish any more agreements, squelching my happiness a bit, forcing me to accommodate for happiness by building some coliseums and be stuck with some extra luxury resources.

I could have also used Genoa as a proxy to fight back Siam by gifting military units (other civs dont see when you gift to city states), but it might have been a significant strain on my production, as I'm trying to gear up to take russia.

It just seems like the AI was making all the right moves.. playing on Prince difficulty.

Loving this game so much right now.

On Prince the games been no challenge for me so far, and I barely know what i'm doing as i'm new to Civ. The AI is abysmal at combat, and is just dead easy to exploit.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Cday said:
D2D says the Digital Deluxe content is stored here

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\DLC\DLC_Deluxe\

No such folder exists...

Mine is in:

Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\DLC\DLC_Deluxe\Soundtrack

Did Steam register your purchase as the deluxe version? You'd have "Nebuchadnezzar II" listed on your history as a purchase if it did. If that's there, maybe try verifying the integrity of the game cache?

Page 14 of the manual:

That's the way it was in Civ IV too except 100 times worse since you would have the AI building 20 unit deep stacks on their cities every 10 turns.

Fair enough, but it still has to make decisions on what to build, what to move where, who's gonna throw down etc. Multipliers just give it a step up the ladder.

Edit: just realised I've spent more time posting in this thread than playing the game (currently standing at zero minutes, FFFFFFFUUUUUU). Roll on tomorrow.

Sblargh

Banned
On civ 4, culture and science victory felt almost the same thing, the "peaceful victory", here they are completely opposite. For a culture victory, you need like 3 or 4 cities, as someone said; for the science one, you really need to spam those settlers.

Ferrio

Banned
So finished my first game. I lost due to time condition, to China which I hadn't even met. I think most of the world were war mongers, so everyone except me was behind in technology. I had to divert so much to keep my borders safe that I didn't reach the science victory in time.

iam220

Definitively my favorite civilization. Still on my first game with like 50 or so turns to go. Game was played on two continents and after years of war we're down to 4 civs. Germany and I share a continent at about a 50/50 land divide. We had a lot of tension In the past, so I never let up on my army. Sure enough they declare war and we have an epic battle where I lose one of my cities. The turning point came when I got tanks and was able to take my city back. I then set my sights on two of his cities near my border and as I'm moving in he offers me peace. I don't want to accept but he offers me 1k worth of gold. I'm pretty much forced to accept since my empire has about 20 cities and tons of units so my treasury is shrinking fast. After our treaty expires I decide to attack, I move in, his forces are few and his entire empire is mine for the taking. It is at this time that I decide to look at the clock ... 4 am and I have work tomorrow ... fuck!

Fitz

panda21 said:
anyone in the UK know can you preload it?

You can preload it yes, and you can activate it to play using a proxy as people have mentioned. I've been playing it most of today.

panda21

Colkate said:
You can preload it yes, and you can activate it to play using a proxy as people have mentioned. I've been playing it most of today.

oh sweet, its preload o'clock.

not going to try the proxy because it sounds like the sort of thing they might kill your account for.

Top Bottom