• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Ponn

Banned
RbBrdMan said:
I don't know too much about steam or steamworks so I just popped my retail disk out and tried to launch. It launched into the game just fine.

So answer is yes.

Sweet! Thanks. I would get it through steam but I have like $55 credit at Amazon and was debating this or Castlevania LoS.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
tagrat said:
The bar just wouldn't seem to go down after getting it completely to the bottom no matter how many times I hit it with my bombers and destroyers = (

you can't take a city by bombing the shit out of it with ranged units, just soften it up.

Hari Seldon

tagrat said:
The bar just wouldn't seem to go down after getting it completely to the bottom no matter how many times I hit it with my bombers and destroyers = (

Stupid question, but did you have a land unit trying to take the city? Bombers and destroyers can take the city to 0 but not actually capture it.

tagrat

Hari Seldon said:
Stupid question, but did you have a land unit trying to take the city? Bombers and destroyers can take the city to 0 but not actually capture it.

I had infantry units on the ground trying to take it as well.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ponn01 said:
Sweet! Thanks. I would get it through steam but I have like $55 credit at Amazon and was debating this or Castlevania LoS.

I got mine through Amazon also. Had a $20 credit from Red Dead a few months back.

Just wanted to detail my first game of Civ V.

I've played quite a bit of Civ IV (not nearly as much as other vets though) and quite frankly was never good at it (got smashed by AI above Warlord frequently, I think I'm just bad at management), so I started a standard game on Chieftain with Ramesses II. I picked him just because I thought his bonus ability looked decent compared to the others. I didn't have a win goal in mind; I just wanted to go with the flow.

Started out in a nice spot around a world wonder and a bunch of gold mines. Ottoman, Greeks and Chinese were on my island mass, Hiawatha and Montezuma on the other. Fooled around with the nearby City-State Bucharest for a bit, which pissed off China. :D Progressing through the game, I can't help but play it like I played Civ IV, which is to focus on keeping up in military affairs so the CPU doesn't smash me down later (this happened to me SO many times, I really hate wars), and expanding at a nice rate.

As I'm expanding north, I get a message from Alexander that he's uncomfortable with my expanding into "his territory". I choose the humble answer. I continue to expand northwest, which is now pissing off Suleiman, to the point that he breaks off all contact with me. I checked his land and he had every right to be; I was on my way to boxing him in before he could even build a second city. Alexander proposes that we join forces in war against Suleiman, but I decline, not feeling too confident in combat just yet.

At this point I'm fumbling through the menus and find the Advisor panel, where my military advisor says I can crush Suleiman easily. I contemplate this and decide to build troops to do it. During this, Alexander decides to attack Suleiman by himself. Having not really looked at that region of the map in a while, I see that Suleiman did eventually build a second city, which Alexander was trying to take. By the time my troops were ready to go, Alexander had already taken that city and was getting ready to storm the capital. I joined in here and snatched the capital pretty easily. Goodbye Suleiman.

Fast forward a bit, and now Alexander has hastily built two cities in between my trade routes, which cuts off my supply flow (I built two coastal cities, one north and one west). They work fine when our borders are open, but he randomly gets upset with me and closes them. I realize this is not ideal and prepare to go to war with Alexander (I found out earlier I'm way ahead in tech). War starts, and I just wanted to capture the three cities he owned in the middle of my borders, but things were going SO well I just decided to continue on and push him all the way out. Captured some and razed some of his remaining five cities with very little resistance. All of the remaining civs now call me a despicable man. :lol

At this point in the game I'm a global powerhouse. I control about 66% of the larger land mass of the two on the map, and I'm raking in nearly 180 gold per turn with an enormous empire and army. Pretty bored with this outcome; I would normally just start a new game with a higher difficulty, but I'll finish this one out with a domination victory (my first ever!) for the achievements.

Some other observations I've had during this playthrough:

-I really like Egypt. They get burial tombs which remove maintenance costs from cities. MAJOR financial advantage with these.

-Buying everything is so, so good. :D There is a little island south of everything that I decided to settle on, and in Civ IV another civ could easily ship a settler there and take half of the land before my culture could expand the borders (Hiawatha actually tried this). Now I can just buy all of the land very quickly and not worry about it.

-I expected more from the City-States mechanic, but maybe I'll have to rely on them more in another game.

-I've never had a better time warring than I did here, but I wasn't really challenged either. I suspected it was a Chieftain problem, but after reading the posts here maybe it is universal.

-I really miss that menu in Civ IV which showed your relations with other civs, and the line graphs of various things like gold, culture and military. I feel like I'm going all about this game blindly.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Famicom said:
Just wanted to detail my first game of Civ V.

I've played quite a bit of Civ IV (not nearly as much as other vets though) and quite frankly was never good at it (got smashed by AI above Warlord frequently, I think I'm just bad at management), so I started a standard game on Chieftain with Ramesses II. I picked him just because I thought his bonus ability looked decent compared to the others. I didn't have a win goal in mind; I just wanted to go with the flow.

Started out in a nice spot around a world wonder and a bunch of gold mines. Ottoman, Greeks and Chinese were on my island mass, Hiawatha and Montezuma on the other. Fooled around with the nearby City-State Bucharest for a bit, which pissed off China. :D Progressing through the game, I can't help but play it like I played Civ IV, which is to focus on keeping up in military affairs so the CPU doesn't smash me down later (this happened to me SO many times, I really hate wars), and expanding at a nice rate.

As I'm expanding north, I get a message from Alexander that he's uncomfortable with my expanding into "his territory". I choose the humble answer. I continue to expand northwest, which is now pissing off Suleiman, to the point that he breaks off all contact with me. I checked his land and he had every right to be; I was on my way to boxing him in before he could even build a second city. Alexander proposes that we join forces in war against Suleiman, but I decline, not feeling too confident in combat just yet.

At this point I'm fumbling through the menus and find the Advisor panel, where my military advisor says I can crush Suleiman easily. I contemplate this and decide to build troops to do it. During this, Alexander decides to attack Suleiman by himself. Having not really looked at that region of the map in a while, I see that Suleiman did eventually build a second city, which Alexander was trying to take. By the time my troops were ready to go, Alexander had already taken that city and was getting ready to storm the capital. I joined in here and snatched the capital pretty easily. Goodbye Suleiman.

Fast forward a bit, and now Alexander has hastily built two cities in between my trade routes, which cuts off my supply flow (I built two coastal cities, one north and one west). They work fine when our borders are open, but he randomly gets upset with me and closes them. I realize this is not ideal and prepare to go to war with Alexander (I found out earlier I'm way ahead in tech). War starts, and I just wanted to capture the three cities he owned in the middle of my borders, but things were going SO well I just decided to continue on and push him all the way out. Captured some and razed some of his remaining five cities with very little resistance. All of the remaining civs now call me a despicable man. :lol

At this point in the game I'm a global powerhouse. I control about 66% of the larger land mass of the two on the map, and I'm raking in nearly 180 gold per turn with an enormous empire and army. Pretty bored with this outcome; I would normally just start a new game with a higher difficulty, but I'll finish this one out with a domination victory (my first ever!) for the achievements.

Some other observations I've had during this playthrough:

-I really like Egypt. They get burial tombs which remove maintenance costs from cities. MAJOR financial advantage with these.

-Buying everything is so, so good. :D There is a little island south of everything that I decided to settle on, and in Civ IV another civ could easily ship a settler there and take half of the land before my culture could expand the borders (Hiawatha actually tried this). Now I can just buy all of the land very quickly and not worry about it.

-I expected more from the City-States mechanic, but maybe I'll have to rely on them more in another game.

-I've never had a better time warring than I did here, but I wasn't really challenged either. I suspected it was a Chieftain problem, but after reading the posts here maybe it is universal.
Not bad.

Here's a fun story I saw posted elsewhere:

SimpsonsParadox said:
I just had the best civ game ever.

Some backround:

I've been trying out all the races and map combos to see which I like playing on best. I quickly found that the Earth tileset was my favorite, but, sadly, the RNG gods continue to see fit that I only spawn in North America, which makes for a boring several hours as I fight barbarians with every other civ out in Europe fighting one another. So, when it time to play the United States of America, I decided to give the generic continents tileset a shot.

A quick description of the map: There are, you guessed it, two continents. This being a standard size game, there are 4 players on each continent with a good smattering of city states. The western continent holds Persia, Rome, Britain, and somebody else who got crushed within the first few turns. We don't care about them; Persia essentially roflstomped the entire continent but it has little to do with our story. No, our story takes place on the eastern continent. The eastern continent is split almost directly in half. A large western portion, a small land bridge, a peninsula, a bigger land bridge, and then a smaller and less resourced desert area. Greece and Japan spawned on the west half, with Siam and myself on the east.

This being Civ, I quickly realized that the city spawner had royally screwed me. Sure, I was pretty safe from barbarians....but that was because I had all of no natural resources. Half the eastern continent was desert, and, as I would soon learn, all the marble/iron/gems/oil/coal/aluminum was on Siam's side of the pie. Thankfully I had a bit of room to expand, and I quickly rushed settlers out to block off some of the decent resources from Siam via a culture roadblock. Needless to say, Siam didn't like this and started to pump military to forcibly get to them.

This is where the story starts to get.... interesting. Greece and Japan both overreacted to Siam's buildup, spammed their own military, and asked me if I wanted to join them in cleansing Siam off of his peninsula. Thankfully, Greece and I had been cooperating up till this point, so Greece had some troops right on Siam's doorstep. I happily agree to their crusade, and off we go to cleanse the resource rich peninsula of heretics and resource stealers. The actual war only lasted a few turns thanks to Japanese cavalry spam. That meant they got most of the conquered cities, but I was okay with that. I had managed to grab a southern city, and all I had really wanted was to stop Siam from expanding.

Cool, right?

Well, not according to Greece. With Japan having grabbed almost everything won during that war, Greece was....suspicious. So suspicious, in fact, that the mere moment the war ended Alexander quickly turned his military around and started to wage war against Japan. I, still being broskis with Greece, quickly followed suit. A long and torturous war (for Alexander, that is) follows, with me occasionally declaring war on Japan to take a city or two that they had taken from Siam earlier before declaring peace and getting back to my attempts to win a research victory.

Finally, around 1500 AD, Japan falls. Greece has the entirety of the western portion of the continent and a city covering almost all of the east/west land bridge; I have, with the exception of city states and that stupid desert, the east peninsula and what little settleable room there is past that. However, the Japanese city of Tokyo is in my possession, and sits juuuussttt a touch to the southwest of the land bridge that Alexander now dominates. I have just researched rifling, and am in the process of fast teching to infantry and spending most of my gold updating my minutemen (Sidenote: Minutemen = <3).

But lets scroll is back a bit.

You see, there is one city state that had saved my bacon on more than one occasion. On the far tip of the western side there rests a small, peaceful, maritime city state by the name of Ragusa or something to that effect. When I first started off, they were one of the first city states I found that I allied with, and the food they provided had saved my desert based capital from starvation on a few occasions. Japan had taken them over during the war against myself and Greece, but in the same drive that saw me take Tokyo I had liberated them once more.

So, here I am. I have one artillery unit, 3 riflemen...and thats it. They're milling about Tokyo, as I'm not quite sure what to do with them now....when Alexander suddenly starts flowing every unit in his army down south.

Towards Tokyo.

I freak out. His army, while one to two techs behind mine, is HUGE. It'll crush me. Oh god, what do I do what do I do what do I...

Oh. He passes by me.

And runs straight for Ragusa.

Well, fuck.

I pledge to protect Ragusa. I hadn't liberated them just to to have them fall into the hands of somebody else. That's not the American way. Alexander laughs in the face of my demands to stop the upcoming war. No, war implies an opposing force, it was more of an upcoming curb stomp. I plead, beg, promise to give him gold if only he'll leave my city state friend alone.

And then...he attacks.

Cue Judge Dredd's "ROOKIE! NO!". Or maybe Darkwing Ducks "Let's get dangerous". Or perhaps even what I said, which is "Oh, fuck you you motherfucker you are GOING TO DIE!"

I, with all of 4 military units to my name, declare war against Alexander, a man who my military adviser has advised me to do nothing at all to ever piss off because he could crush me.This was a good decision. I can feel it.

Cue....the 100 turn siege of Tokyo.

As I said, I was several techs above Greece, and although his huge amount of cavalry was able to crush my artillery and swarm one of my yet-to-be-upgraded minutemen, my riflemen held. Wave after wave of hop lites and cavalry, of pikemen and longswordsmen, and, as the years went by, finally musketeers and cannons fell to my riflemen as they held the line. Ragusa fell, Alexander's city state friends tried to made crossing the landbridge to reinforce Tokyo a pipe dream, but still my two now-upgraded-to-infantry held out damn near 90 turns. Only one infantry unit managed to sneak through to reinforce them, but they didn't care. Slowly, the rush of units slowed to a trickle, and, finally, finally, almost 90 turns later, Greece finally sued for peace.

"But it's called the 100 turn siege of Tokyo, not the 90 turn siege of Tokyo. What about the 10 other turns" you ask?

Well, I rejected his peace offering.

And with my last 10 turns before I went to bed, I motherfucking liberated Ragusa.

Moral of the story: Don't screw with America's city states.

Corollary to the moral of the story: Bitch.

owlbeak

FFFFFFFFFUUUUU

Anyone else's game crash when they click on the "Strategic View"? I can switch to that view once or twice, and then my game will CTD. Fucking annoying.

Hari Seldon

Yeah at first I was skeptical as to how useful the city states where, but they are pretty useful, at least the cultural and the military ones. In my first game on an easier difficulty, I had Allies with 2 military ones and with all the gifting of units, I never really had to build my own army, I could concentrate all production on buildings.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone got an idea why i cant choose the directx 10 version? Vista SP 2 64bit and latest DX10 driver are installed. I still get the message that I need some update on something.. :(
I can only choose the DX9 version.

Anyone had the same problem? Or heard about an solution?

owlbeak

Question about Happiness - it says I have some from "number of cities", does that mean they are unhappy because I don't have ENOUGH cities? Or unhappy because I have too many? :|

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
too many
What Causes Unhappiness
The following cause unhappiness:
• Raw Population: As your civ grows, the people get increasingly unhappy and demand more stuff to keep them amused.
• Number of Cities: As the number of cities in your civ grows, so does your unhappiness. In other words, a civ with 2 cities each of population 1 is unhappier than a civ with 1 city of population 2, even though they both contain the same total population.
• Annexed Cities: If you capture and annex foreign cities, your population doesn’t much like it.
What Causes Happiness
The following increase your population’s happiness:
• Natural Wonders: Each natural wonder you discover permanently increases your civilization’s happiness.
• Luxury Resources: Improve resources within your territory or trade for them with other civs. Each kind of resource improves your population’s happiness (but you don’t get extra happiness for having multiple copies of a single luxury).
• Buildings: Certain buildings increase your population’s happiness. These include the Coliseum, the Circus, the Theatre, and others. Each building constructed anywhere in your civ increases your overall happiness (so two Coliseums produce twice as much happiness as one, unlike Luxuries).
• Wonders: Certain wonders like Notre Dame and the Hanging Gardens can give you a big boost in happiness.
• Social Policies: Policies from the Piety branch provide a lot of happiness, as do a few policies in other branches.
• Technologies: Technologies in themselves don’t provide happiness, but they do unlock the buildings, wonders, resources and social policies which do.

XiaNaphryz

Toma said:
Anyone got an idea why i cant choose the directx 10 version? Vista SP 2 64bit and latest DX10 driver are installed. I still get the message that I need some update on something.. :(
I can only choose the DX9 version.

Anyone had the same problem? Or heard about an solution?
Only thing someone has mentioned was this (note that this is for Win7 though):

Screaming_Gremlin said:
This was happening to me. It turns out for whatever reason Windows 7 had been running Steam in compatibility mode for Vista (with no service pack) the entire time without me knowing. When I tried to turn it off, it was grayed out. I followed this and was able to fix it.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, this game is going to eat my goddamn life!

I'm a near-total Civ noob - while I utterly loved Civilization: Revolution, it was always clear that it was a console optimized shadow of the PC originals I had never played. I bought Civ 4 on Steam, but it never ran well on my laptop, so I didn't put any time into it and was hesitant to buy Civ 5 as it might not run at all for me - but to my surprise, I can play Civ 5 with settings at max (no aliasing) and the game runs at a perfectly fine pace! Anyways, so the game unlocks for me at about 1:30 AM last night - I say to myself "just load a map, to see what's it's like", and the next thing I know there's bird-song coming from outside of my window, goddamn 5 AM! So I catch a couple hours sleep, head to work and spend the whole morning thinking about Civ, get back this afternoon and the game consumes another 4 hours of my life like it was 20 minutes. Fuck, i'm in trouble :lol

A few noob questions;

When you built a ship in Civ:Rev, it came equipped with a scout who you could dump on land to explore ruins/villages, but I can't seem to find something similar here. Also, can you send units onto transport ships? Or is water crossing done entirely through the embarkation ability? Because as far as I can tell, embarked units aren't as strong as normal naval units and are therefore much more susceptible to attack.

Also, is there any way to stop barbarian villages spawning without buying every single goddamn tile between my cities?

owlbeak

zoku88 said:
Unhappiness scales up with the number of cities you have.

It curbs rapid expansion.
Dammit! I thought they were upset that I didn't have enough! Any way to delete or get rid of cities I've built?

Bootaaay said:
I bought Civ 4 on Steam, but it never ran well on my laptop, so I didn't put any time into it and was hesitant to buy Civ 5 as it might not run at all for me - but to my surprise, I can play Civ 5 with settings at max (no aliasing) and the game runs at a perfectly fine pace!
I'm happy that you're able to play the game, but I have to say that this is very, very odd to me.

Helmholtz

I really like the game but at times it feels a little sluggish. Any video settings I can decrease to medium that will increase my fps and not lose much visual finesse? (currently have everything on high)

owlbeak

zoku88 said:
Go to the city screen and select raze city.
Thanks, I must have missed that option. Pardon my newbness, never owned or really played a Civ game before.

Edit: I still don't see a raze city option on the city screen?

Hari Seldon

Bootaaay said:
When you built a ship in Civ:Rev, it came equipped with a scout who you could dump on land to explore ruins/villages, but I can't seem to find something similar here. Also, can you send units onto transport ships? Or is water crossing done entirely through the embarkation ability? Because as far as I can tell, embarked units aren't as strong as normal naval units and are therefore much more susceptible to attack.

Also, is there any way to stop barbarian villages spawning without buying every single goddamn tile between my cities?

Embark ability is the only way to move land units across the water. They are weak so you have to escort them with naval units. Conversely, you want a navy to defend against sea invasion because the land units will be much easier to pick off in the water.

To stop barbarians from spanning away from your city you can place units so that their site covers the likely areas. AFAIK, barb camps won't appear anywhere you have direct site, either with your border or with a unit.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Bootaaay said:

Embark is the only way to move them across water, building a small navy to protect them is a good idea. In one of my games I was sailing my army to the next continent and some fucking barbarian ship killed half of them. I was not pleased.

And barb camps will continue to spawn on any tile that a civ can't see. I don't really mind as they're a good source of xp and gold. In one game I had a camp spawn between a mountian and the sea and I just had an archer unit kill the barbs that spawned on it repeatedly for easy xp.

Steve Youngblood said:
I'm happy that you're able to play the game, but I have to say that this is very, very odd to me.

Same here, the only thing that's changed in my machine since then is upgrading from Vista to Win7 - Civ4's framerate just chugged no matter the settings, every time I tried moving the map it chugged like hell and eventually brought it to a crawl unless I was running at base settings, so no one was more surprised than me when I found Civ5 runs fine. Perhaps it's just better optimised for my hardware.

Hari Seldon said:
Embark ability is the only way to move land units across the water. They are weak so you have to escort them with naval units. Conversely, you want a navy to defend against sea invasion because the land units will be much easier to pick off in the water.

Oh, nice - better start building up my navy then! That's certainly more complex than just piling as many tanks as possible into battle cruisers in Civ:Rev. :lol

zoku88

Horsebite said:
Thanks, I must have missed that option. Pardon my newbness, never owned or really played a Civ game before.

Let me check. I remember seeing the option before.

owlbeak

zoku88 said:
Let me check. I remember seeing the option before.
I know you get the option when you conquer a city, but what about building your own? Is there no way to get rid of it? :(

Guess I'll just focus on production and set it to avoid growth.

zoku88

I must be crazy. I have been dreaming a lot of weird stuff. I thought there was an option in the city screen, but I just checked and it isn't there >_<

ghst

thanks for the laugh
AstroLad said:
• Raw Population: As your civ grows, the people get increasingly unhappy and demand more stuff to keep them amused.

i noticed this one last night, straight from the anno playbook.

Ferrio

Banned
Man I might actually get a cultural victory.... it'll be close I only have 50 turns left and 5 civics to buy. I'm pulling in about 400 culture per turn and in 20 turns going to build the wonder that decreases civic costs 33%. Still don't think it'll be enough.

So far my game has been peaceful, except for japan who thought they'd fuck with me with their superior army and their cancerous city growths in my area. Unfortunately for them I had 3 friendly city states that surrounded them, soon as he declared war on me he got hit from all sides. I used this as an excuse to take out his cancerous cities, raise them as puppets. As I attacked the first city he came crawling on his hands and knees offering everything he had, too late dude! After I was done clearing the area, I forced him to give me all his gold and luxuries for a peace treaty.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Do puppet cities contribute to the "unhappiness from number of cities?" The manual isn't clear, I think they do.

XiaNaphryz

Ferrio said:
Man I might actually get a cultural victory.... it'll be close I only have 50 turns left and 5 civics to buy. I'm pulling in about 400 culture per turn and in 20 turns going to build the wonder that decreases civic costs 33%. Still don't think it'll be enough.

So far my game has been peaceful, except for japan who thought they'd fuck with me with their superior army and their cancerous city growths in my area. Unfortunately for them I had 3 friendly city states that surrounded them, soon as he declared war on me he got hit from all sides. I used this as an excuse to take out his cancerous cities, raise them as puppets. As I attacked the first city he came crawling on his hands and knees offering everything he had, too late dude! After I was done clearing the area, I forced him to give me all his gold and luxuries for a peace treaty.
How many cities do you have out of curiosity? Most of the cultural victories I've seen people have had so far had really small empires (1-4 cities).

iam220

Borgnine said:
Do puppet cities contribute to the "unhappiness from number of cities?" The manual isn't clear, I think they do.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they do. The game says that puppet cities cause much less unhappiness than annexed.

Do puppet cities increase your civics requirements?

Ferrio

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
How many cities do you have out of curiosity? Most of the cultural victories I've seen people have had so far had really small empires (1-4 cities).

4. Least before I puppeted. Now I have 8, but didn't seem to affect me much (i might raze them see if it does anything). I've gone through so many golden ages... at my high point I had 50 happy people.

owlbeak

My architects apparently thought it was a good idea to take 20 turns and build my colosseum IN THE OCEAN! :lol :lol

vffpd1.jpg

LCfiner

Horsebite said:
My architects apparently thought it was a good idea to take 20 turns and build my colosseum IN THE OCEAN! :lol :lol

http://i56.tinypic.com/vffpd1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

:lol

i saw an AI city in my game build Stonehenge in the ocean.

weird as hell

f0rk

Lost my first game going for culture with 3 cities as Japan (random). Elizabeth is a fucking land hungry bitch! I was doing all right at the start, and held off the first war ok with samurai, but I slipped behind in tech and the next war was me defending 1 or 2 tiers behind the whole time. I barely held out (mostly due to dodgy combat AI I think) till 2050, and Egypt on the other continent had conquered 2 Civs (don't even know who they were lol) so won on points.

Going to try for a space race next game I think, I should be expanding a lot right? What are the better tech leaders?

Horsebite said:
Was it a Capital city? I don't think you can raze Capitals in this game. That's so they can stay in play to possibly be liberated.

Just checking in to say, "Bollywood" achievement nabbed. Hard as fuck, but best game of Civ I've played in a long time. Eeked out the cultural win in 2039 with only 3 cities.

I can't wait for this game to get it's first expansion already.

Prolly a dumb question and I have a good new PC but.. is there anyway to make it so the game doesn't have to load textures every damn time I look at a different part of the map?

DevelopmentArrested said:
Prolly a dumb question and I have a good new PC but.. is there anyway to make it so the game doesn't have to load textures every damn time I look at a different part of the map?
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I think that doesn't happen if you're playing in DX 10/11 mode.

McNum

I really should have known better. I had decided to wait this one out and see if it was going to get good feedback. Then I noticed the demo on Steam and I figured, why not? It's just a demo. 3 hours later and just as I was deciding that the world wasn't big enough for Caesar and me...

"DEMO EXPIRED. Do you want to buy the full game?"
Well, okay, mayb-
"Do you want the Digital Deluxe version?"
I'll have a Deluxe version, please.

I really should have known better. Well, next time, Caesar won't get away by ending the game. Oh, yes. He'll get what's coming to him...

Sober

lastplayed said:
Seriously?!?
Have another Civ beat you to completing a Wonder 10 times.

I love that achievement. :lol
Oh man, here's a story. I was up til 2:30am last night, and I was 1 turn away from building the Oracle. A civ beats me to it, and I yell out "you fucking serious?!" and almost woke everyone up.

And then the achievement came up on my screen. :lol

Rad-

Playing as England with a bunch of Longbowmen, killing AI armies across seas and mountains. :lol 3 tile ranged attack is ridiculous. In many cases AI just stands there, taking all the hits going DERP.

Zero Hero

I learned last night to never except a peace proposal that involves 3 or more cities and annex them. Happiness dove to -19 which helped kill my gold production which lead to units disbanding. I ended up giving 2 of the back but the happiness didn't improve. Puppet or raze from here on out.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
silly question maybe but :

Should I go through the tutorials or just create a new game at the getgo? Mind you this is my first civ game.

xbhaskarx

Can I sell buildings and if so how. I need to get rid of a nuclear power plant so I can use the uranium to build a giant death robot...

Top Bottom