• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

shermas

i'm trying to figure out if i can run this, but canyourunit.com is confusing me:

Minimum: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz
You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5300 @ 1.73GHz
PASS

CPU Speed
You Have: 1.73 GHz
PASS

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Video RAM 256 MB 888.0 MB
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 3.0 3.0
Vertex Shader version 3.0 3.0
FAIL

How is that last part a fail? I know my laptop is a couple years ago, but it seems like it *might* work.

Any help?

Euphor!a

Banned
I wouldn't put too much stock in that site, better off just downloading the demo and giving it a shot... I mean look at this:

CPU
You Have: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
PASS

CPU Speed
You Have: 2.61 GHz
FAIL

It makes no sense.

commissar

shermas said:
Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Video RAM 256 MB 888.0 MB
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 3.0 3.0
Vertex Shader version 3.0 3.0
FAIL

How is that last part a fail? I know my laptop is a couple years ago, but it seems like it *might* work.

Any help?
Sounds like integrated video, so it's using a % of your system memory. Which is not as powerful unfortunately.

Your best bet is to fire up dxdiag (start->run->dxdiag) & comparing the specs direct.

Or post them here, I'm sure we can have a look :)

IlludiumQ36

Horsebite said:
What's with the red spots on the terrain textures?

Hmmm. My friend and I were both seeing that in our co-op game. It would go away after scrolling around a bit. Wonder if it's a video driver issue? Both of us have ATI cards (4870 & 5870).

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Man I hope they do some serious work on the AI soon. I've had the same rival declare war on me 3 times this game only to get beaten back to one of their cities and then offer tons of gold and resources for peace :lol

Aselith

dragonfart28 said:
This is probably obtuse of me, but any chance of this coming to consoles?

Doubtful. I think it's far more likely that a CivRev 2 will hit consoles. Not sure how the first one did but I think pretty well.

dragonfart28 said:
This is probably obtuse of me, but any chance of this coming to consoles?

517LSNKZOrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

XBox 360, PS3 and DS.

Is there a trick to get this running at anything above DirectX 9? The directX 10/11 option is greyed out, yet I run other 10 games fine.

Aselith

lastplayed said:
Is there a trick to get this running at anything above DirectX 9? The directX 10/11 option is greyed out, yet I run other 10 games fine.

Is your card for sure DX 10 capable? You may be running other DX 10 games without actual DX 10 features. Like it runs but your graphics options are set for DX 9. Most games don't have that branching start up selection they just automatically adjust.

xbhaskarx said:
What are the prerequisites to build museums? I can't find them listed in my build screen options...

I think maybe a coliseum? Might be a theatre. Right click on a unit picture down in the left hand corner and check the civopedia.

Aselith said:
Is your card for sure DX 10 capable? You may be running other DX 10 games without actual DX 10 features. Like it runs but your graphics options are set for DX 9. Most games don't have that branching start up selection they just automatically adjust.

It's HD5770... I hope I get it fixed, the DX9 version looks pretty awful. :(

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
lastplayed said:
It's HD5770... I hope I get it fixed, the DX9 version looks pretty awful. :(

You have to set the launcher.exe compatibility mode to Vista Revision 2 or whatever it is, I had the same issue, it makes no sense.

Enduin said:
You have to set the launcher.exe compatibility mode to Vista Revision 2 or whatever it is, I had the same issue, it makes no sense.

Yeah it says I need Service Pack 2 or higher.. for Windows 7. o_O

How do I set it to compatibility mode?

Aselith

Oh yeah, I had a question. Is there a way to auto-locate available resources? I couldn't find any uranium in my last game but I'd imagine it can be hard to spot just visually.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
lastplayed said:
Yeah it says I need Service Pack 2 or higher.. for Windows 7. o_O

How do I set it to compatibility mode?

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v then right click the Launcher.exe select properties and then click the Compatibility tab and check "Run this Program in Compatibility Mode:" and select Vista pack 2 at the bottom.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
What's that Catherine? You propose a peace treaty after I annihilated one of your northern cities? Why certainly! I would love to have 10 turns where I can push my entire army south to surround your capital unmolested.

shermas

thanks... just dl'ed the demo. i'll see how it goes.

do i have to watch that intro movie every time i play the demo? couldn't figure out how to skip it... yikes.

Animator

Borgnine said:
What's that Catherine? You propose a peace treaty after I annihilated one of your northern cities? Why certainly! I would love to have 10 turns where I can push my entire army south to surround your capital unmolested.

I was trying to play the game pecefully but there is simply no way. AI is fucking retarded and makes up excuse to start wars even though you were allies a turn ago. Now I will just build armies and conquer, fuck wasting time on wonders and other nice things, let the others build it and I will just acquire it when I get their cities.

Thanks to that bitch Catherina I lost 9 hours of hard work. :(

owlbeak

IlludiumQ36 said:
Hmmm. My friend and I were both seeing that in our co-op game. It would go away after scrolling around a bit. Wonder if it's a video driver issue? Both of us have ATI cards (4870 & 5870).
I thought that, too, but it has normal maps and other effects. I don't get it. :(

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Fucking hell I suck too much to do a culture victory on prince. I'm gonna go conquer the world to calm down.

Zzoram

Civ V is a beast on Steam. It's been topping the concurrent users chart since it came out. Only for brief periods do CS and MW2 spike above with peak only to fall below for current. That's not a surprise considering how hard it is to stop playing Civ.

I wonder how many new people were introduced to Steam by Civ V, or by MW2 for that matter. I bet every Steamworks exclusive that Valve secures adds tens of thousands of new users to Steam.

Zzoram

Archie said:
Fucking hell I suck too much to do a culture victory on prince. I'm gonna go conquer the world to calm down.

The key to cultural victory is:

only make 3 cities (social policy cost goes up every city you own)
ally all the cultural city states to get massive culture bonuses
beef up the social policy tree that gives bonuses for city state relations ASAP

make enough military units parked along your borders to discourage AI aggression. Only build things that boost culture or gold, and use that gold to keep bribing the city states to give you culture.

Aaron

The more I play, the more I find this game to be a much beefier version of Civ Rev than a continuation of Civ IV. To the point where I think they could bring this to consoles with no more than UI and control changes, esp. since Civ Rev would have been better without being able to stack units.

I personally think this is a good thing, but I can see why the diehards are up in arms.

Enduin said:
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v then right click the Launcher.exe select properties and then click the Compatibility tab and check "Run this Program in Compatibility Mode:" and select Vista pack 2 at the bottom.

Thanks, that did it. I just went in to check it out and spent the last hour playing it. :lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was wondering why social policies cost so much.

I usually expand recklessly.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
commissar said:
Sounds like integrated video, so it's using a % of your system memory. Which is not as powerful unfortunately.

Your best bet is to fire up dxdiag (start->run->dxdiag) & comparing the specs direct.

Or post them here, I'm sure we can have a look :)
Well, if he has a separate 3D chipset that kicks in for games, it wouldn't necessarily show up I think.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Here is what this game needs to be perfect:

- More diplomacy options for both civs and city states. I like city states a lot but there needs to be more ways to gain rep with them.

- Better AI. I don't mind it declaring war, I just wish it would do it when it actually had a damn chance of winning. In my last game (which was on Prince), Rome and England declared war on me within the first 20 turns and I wiped them out easily. What's the point of declaring war when all you've got is a scout and a warrior?

- More classic music. The new, original stuff in the game is awesome, but I want a more varied and classical soundtrack like IV's.

- A bit more depth when it comes to empire building. More buildings/options would fix this.

And that's all I've got. Overall I'm liking this more than IV, the combat upgrade just ups the fun factor twenty fold. If it fixes the things I mentioned, it'll be perfect. I have a feeling the first expansion for this game is going to be epic.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I captured an English city and sold it to Alexander for 2,000 gold, 50 gold per turn and a good deal of resources. He then immediately razed the city :lol

shermas

so, i dl'ed the demo to see if it would run on my semi-old machine...

100 turns later, i'm hooked. love the new, non-stackable combat and improved graphics. nice step up from IV.

machine chugged a couple times, but i'm hoping it'll run okay since i made it thru the demo without any problems.

Sober

Horsebite said:
What's with the red spots on the terrain textures?
Yeah, I'm getting that too. 4850 on DX9 mode. Honestly, I miss it sometimes.

Probably gonna restart my game, since I decided to do it on Epic speed the first time. Probably not the best idea :lol. I need to play some more to get used to the changes, I'm too used to being able to pump out swordsmen or whatever in 2-3 turns in Civ4, here it takes forever to get a city up and running I swear.

The only real thing pissing me off right now is that roads take forever to build. 3 turns, seriously?

Zzoram

I get red spots too, HD4870. They actually look like they're part of the tile graphics and not a glitch, so I just treat them as blood stains.

Zzoram

Ysiadmihi said:
I captured an English city and sold it to Alexander for 2,000 gold, 50 gold per turn and a good deal of resources. He then immediately razed the city :lol

Ya the 25MB patch that hit Steam a few hours ago is supposed to fix the way AI values cities. Maybe it'll fix that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Couple of Qs:

Does the game have an autosave? I seem to be experiencing random crashes and I can't remember to save after every turn. It's pretty annoying.

Also, how do you ungarrison a unit? For some reason I can't access the unit I have stuck in my city. :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Sober said:
The only real thing pissing me off right now is that roads take forever to build. 3 turns, seriously?
Considering you have to pay maintenance for them, it's probably a good thing you can't build them too fast.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Couple of Qs:

Does the game have an autosave? I seem to be experiencing random crashes and I can't remember to save after every turn. It's pretty annoying.

Also, how do you ungarrison a unit? For some reason I can't access the unit I have stuck in my city. :lol

Yes the game autosaves. In the options you can even pick how many turns in between autosaves.

If you want to ungarrison a unit all you have to do is click it's icon near the city name.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Sweet just won my first Epic length game as the French. 647 turns, Year 1998, UN Victory only because I got lucky and there were 9 City States left alive, mostly thanks to my protecting them. I could have probably gotten the Culture Victory by 2050 Im putting out about 500 a turn. In the end there was only 3 countries left standing, Me, Darius and Washington. Though Washington was only around cause I let him.

I finally figured out the "sweet spot" which is basically make like 5-7 of you core cities and then if you conquer anyone just make em puppets and never annex them, makes life way easier and doesnt mess your cash flow much at all. Maybe 30 turns before victory Montezuma was still around to my south and i was tired of him and he was still running around with swordsman while I had Infantrymen and Legionnaires. So I took him out lickety split and at the time of the invasion I had a major cash flow issue, I was getting like 13+ per turn but as soon as I took over his cities and they settled down I have been making basically 230 per turn.

Im thinking about taking Washington out post win and seeing if I can take on Darius who is a good 8 techs ahead of him and already in Future Tech. I love this game.

Aaron

Spire said:
- Better AI. I don't mind it declaring war, I just wish it would do it when it actually had a damn chance of winning. In my last game (which was on Prince), Rome and England declared war on me within the first 20 turns and I wiped them out easily. What's the point of declaring war when all you've got is a scout and a warrior?
I haven't experienced this myself. In fact, the AI only declares war when they have a substantial army to back it up in my games. They lose because they haven't seen my full army, or I rush a force with gold.

Top Bottom