• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

owlbeak

Woo! Just finished my first full game of Civ (chieftan difficulty! I'm a n00b!) and got my Scientific Victory in 2076, 512 turns. Only three civs remained from the starting 12 - Ghandi, Persia, and myself.

I played Greece and was completely peaceful, except fucking Montezuma kept being a bitch and saber rattling. Early in the game he had started a minor war with me around 800AD. Attacked a city or two of mine and got his ass beat and retreated and called for peace. Same thing happened again around 1520.

Well, Germany had expanded and founded cities to my north and Montezuma and Germany got into a war around 1770. Germany was wiped out, so suddenly Montezuma had amassed a ton of troops on my border and kept insulting me. I had a quick recon go through and saw he was at least mining plutonium and was worried he'd invade my territory with nukes. He also quickly overtook me in overall score, so I was really worried he was going to come at me full force. My score was around 1200 at the time and he flew past me into 2900+ on the scoreboard. He also had a ton of territory. I wasn't sure how much, but I knew he at least held all of Africa.

I figured it was time to deal with him before I started producing parts for my spaceship. I had been sitting on three nuclear missles and an atom bomb for at least 40-50 turns now (got nukes around 1850). I barely had any military at all; I had some infantry stationed in select cities, but that was it.

I bumped up production and churned out 8 or so Paratroops, a nuclear sub, and a couple destroyers. Then it began!

Montezuma declared war on me in 1963, as soon as he declared it, boom. I dropped an atom bomb on the recently conquered Frankfurt to my north which is where all his troops were amassed along my border. Then my paratroops dropped in behind his front line and wiped those troops out. I also had a colony on Australia and used this as a staging ground for the second front, I launched from my city there and established a beachhead on Madagascar and invaded Africa from there, dropping two nuclear missles on his capital city, annihilating it, and making it an easy conquer. I fired my last nuclear missle onto a neighboring city with a large population. He wanted peace, but there was none to be had! :lol

My troops stormed through western Europe, wiping out any and all traces of him. Surprisingly, he barely had any military so it was just a matter of taking the cities one by one. I had no idea how much territory he had though. I spent nearly 100 years crawling through Europe and Africa, conquering each of his cities. His last hideout was on the British Isles and finally in 2060, I eliminated him. Had I known it was gonna be that much work, I probably would have agreed to the peace treaty and would have finished the space ship by the early 2000s. Oh well!

In the early 2000s, I realized he wasn't much of a threat and it was just gonna be me taking over his territories until he was eliminated so I kicked up my building of the space ship parts and blasted off in 2076. :D

Ended up giving all the cities I conquered in Africa to Ghandi, because him and Montezuma had beef through the whole game. :lol

Love this game!!

panda21

Civilization V Troubleshooting Guide

1# Civilization V Crashes and Poor Performance on ATI Cards
It is highly recommended that you have the latest Catalyst drivers for your card. Download and install the latest v1.52 patch if you are having initialization issues with your ATI Graphics Card.

1.52 patch of Civ or 1.52 ATI drivers (its 10.9 so not sure where the 1.52 comes in)?

epmode

panda21 said:
damn it i was playing for a long time and then all of a sudden the screen got these green vertical bars on it and it froze.

its happened before when stuff has crashed, is that an overheating thing or a generic graphics crashing thing?
Hm, artifacting like that sounds like overheating to me.

owlbeak

epmode said:
Yeap.

Right before I launched my space ship, I could smell hot plastic, and I got green artifacts on the screen and the game locked, blue screen and PC shut down. I opened the case and pulled out the graphics card, fucking cat hair all over the fan/heat sink. Pulled it all off, and was good to go. :lol

panda21

epmode said:

i was worried it might be because the fans go crazy while i'm playing civ, but according to the sensors the gpu is at about 60C and the cpu between 50 and 60, which i think is ok

r1chard

panda21 said:
1.52 patch of Civ or 1.52 ATI drivers (its 10.9 so not sure where the 1.52 comes in)?

I have Catalyst 10.9 installed and I can't see a "1.52" anywhere in the info screen...

I've not had any game crashing / glitching issues with 10.9 and my 5770.

golem

panda21 said:
damn it i was playing for a long time and then all of a sudden the screen got these green vertical bars on it and it froze.

its happened before when stuff has crashed, is that an overheating thing or a generic graphics crashing thing?

i think i lost everything since my last save because the default autosave is off or some crazy long number of turns or something? do the autosaves show up in the regular save list, i didnt even see any yet and i played for like 2 hours before.
Theres a checkbox to see your autosaves, otherwise you dont see them on the normal save list.

panda21

golem said:
Theres a checkbox to see your autosaves, otherwise you dont see them on the normal save list.

just discovered this :D thank god, i was on the fence as to whether i was enjoying it or not and was just starting to get into it, so i was really pissed when it crashed. think i only lost about 15 minutes or so

r1chard said:
I have Catalyst 10.9 installed and I can't see a "1.52" anywhere in the info screen...

I've not had any game crashing / glitching issues with 10.9 and my 5770.

i've looked and i cant find any reference to 1.52 with catalyst or civ on steam :S

what settings are you running it at and what temperature is it? anyone else with the 5770? it defaulted to everything on high and i just left it at that but i might turn it down because the fan noise is so annoying

Instro

Game is causing my gpu(880gt) to overheat recently, even with lowered graphical options and running in dx9 mode its still going right up into the high 90's and low 100's. Hopefully its just a case of me needing to clean out some dust.

Error1355

panda21 said:
what settings are you running it at and what temperature is it? anyone else with the 5770? it defaulted to everything on high and i just left it at that but i might turn it down because the fan noise is so annoying

I have a 5770 and I was running at about 55-60C. It was showing fan speed at about 30%. I do have a well ventilated case though. I'm also running on the default high settings.

Aselith said:
Yes, there is an option in the city-state menu to gift units. It's underneath "Gift money."

I think you misunderstood, was wondering if you can gift units to other CIVS (I know you can gift to city states).

Just played my first game of any CIV game ever... God damn the map became a clusterfuck :lol

A fucking chance it's a turn based game because there is no way I could play that in real time.

Alcool313

I have waited so long for this game but my LSAT is in 2 weeks. Thankfully all the horror stories in this thread have reassured me that I should not buy this game till after.

I fucked up and missed my scientific victory because I missed a piece (I saved after it was too late and my alt save was at turn 448). Prince difficulty, Full-size Earth map, 500 turns. Ugh.

golem

Haha, just had a friendly showdown with my Japanese friends.. they were sharing a continent with the Thai empire and I tried to get them to attack Thai together with me but they wouldnt, so I established a foothold on the continent and went at it. The moment it became apparent I was going to win, the Japanese said "We're in!" and started rushing troops into hostile lands. I was thinking HECK NO you aint going to jack the cities I earned and it became an all out rush to capture before they did. Kind of like the end of WW2 haha. In the end they only managed to get 2 cities, I took about 8. Now it's just you and me Nobunaga!

Error1355 said:
I have a 5770 and I was running at about 55-60C. It was showing fan speed at about 30%. I do have a well ventilated case though. I'm also running on the default high settings.
I'm also using a 5770 and the default settings are high everything with 4x AA. Usually my card idles at around 35% fan speed at about 35-40 C. Civ 5 can get the card up to about 45% fan speed at about 55-60C max. I have the MSI Hawk 5770, so the fan noise is still really, really quiet, even under load. Haven't ran into any problems at all, using the latest catalyst drivers.

Danj

Speaking of ATI drivers, is 10.8 the highest you can get for a notebook ATI chip? I tried the new Steam driver update thing but all it did was sent me to AMD's driver web page, and when I put my product type (Mobility Radeon 5850) and OS (Windows 7 64-bit) in, it gave me 10.8 which I already have.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Fuck me. Steam says I have 24 hours logged into this now - I've only had the game installed for 48 hours though.

I thought I was prepared. Clearly not.

Darkshier said:
I'm also using a 5770 and the default settings are high everything with 4x AA. Usually my card idles at around 35% fan speed at about 35-40 C. Civ 5 can get the card up to about 45% fan speed at about 55-60C max. I have the MSI Hawk 5770, so the fan noise is still really, really quiet, even under load. Haven't ran into any problems at all, using the latest catalyst drivers.
Error1355 said:
Hmm, I've got a 5770 too but mine runs hotter than those. Idles around 40 C with fan speed at ~35%, been running Civ around 70 C on DX 9 maxed settings. No game issues at all yet though.

panda21 said:
I switched to DX 9 because I didn't notice that much of a difference between 11 and 9, the aliasing doesn't bother me. Didn't feel like running my card at 100% for hours at a time for a game that doesn't really need it.

Chris R

So I went for a Cultural victory tonight, ran out of time. 4 Cities too many to try for that??? Basically I just needed 20 more turns to build my thingy :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Has an AI ever actually finished the game early thanks to a cultural or scientific victory? I never hear about that happening.

owlbeak

Question about mods...

I downloaded, installed, and enabled the "Clock" mod that is supposed to add a clock to the HUD (so I can see how much time I'm sinking into this game :lol ), but it doesn't show up? Any ideas?

delirium

Horsebite said:
Question about mods...

I downloaded, installed, and enabled the "Clock" mod that is supposed to add a clock to the HUD (so I can see how much time I'm sinking into this game :lol ), but it doesn't show up? Any ideas?
I think you have to start the single player in the "mod" section but I don't have the game.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The more I play, the more I kinda miss tech trading. It is a pain in the butt to go back and research old stuff to move the tree forward.

Also China's UU is ridiculously OP. I almost feel like I'm cheating.

Helmholtz

I was on a losing streak on Prince difficulty, but I switched to Warlord for my latest game and I'm completely dominating. Feels good!:D

Horsebite said:
Woo! Just finished my first full game of Civ (chieftan difficulty! I'm a n00b!) and got my Scientific Victory in 2076, 512 turns. Only three civs remained from the starting 12 - Ghandi, Persia, and myself.

I played Greece and was completely peaceful, except fucking Montezuma kept being a bitch and saber rattling. Early in the game he had started a minor war with me around 800AD. Attacked a city or two of mine and got his ass beat and retreated and called for peace. Same thing happened again around 1520.

Well, Germany had expanded and founded cities to my north and Montezuma and Germany got into a war around 1770. Germany was wiped out, so suddenly Montezuma had amassed a ton of troops on my border and kept insulting me. I had a quick recon go through and saw he was at least mining plutonium and was worried he'd invade my territory with nukes. He also quickly overtook me in overall score, so I was really worried he was going to come at me full force. My score was around 1200 at the time and he flew past me into 2900+ on the scoreboard. He also had a ton of territory. I wasn't sure how much, but I knew he at least held all of Africa.

I figured it was time to deal with him before I started producing parts for my spaceship. I had been sitting on three nuclear missles and an atom bomb for at least 40-50 turns now (got nukes around 1850). I barely had any military at all; I had some infantry stationed in select cities, but that was it.

I bumped up production and churned out 8 or so Paratroops, a nuclear sub, and a couple destroyers. Then it began!

Montezuma declared war on me in 1963, as soon as he declared it, boom. I dropped an atom bomb on the recently conquered Frankfurt to my north which is where all his troops were amassed along my border. Then my paratroops dropped in behind his front line and wiped those troops out. I also had a colony on Australia and used this as a staging ground for the second front, I launched from my city there and established a beachhead on Madagascar and invaded Africa from there, dropping two nuclear missles on his capital city, annihilating it, and making it an easy conquer. I fired my last nuclear missle onto a neighboring city with a large population. He wanted peace, but there was none to be had! :lol

My troops stormed through western Europe, wiping out any and all traces of him. Surprisingly, he barely had any military so it was just a matter of taking the cities one by one. I had no idea how much territory he had though. I spent nearly 100 years crawling through Europe and Africa, conquering each of his cities. His last hideout was on the British Isles and finally in 2060, I eliminated him. Had I known it was gonna be that much work, I probably would have agreed to the peace treaty and would have finished the space ship by the early 2000s. Oh well!

In the early 2000s, I realized he wasn't much of a threat and it was just gonna be me taking over his territories until he was eliminated so I kicked up my building of the space ship parts and blasted off in 2076. :D

Ended up giving all the cities I conquered in Africa to Ghandi, because him and Montezuma had beef through the whole game. :lol

Love this game!!

I love reading stories like this.

Today I started a game as Sparta, 200 turns into the game Persia decides to go to war with one of my two culture city-states. I churned out a hoplite and sent it to the city-state to help out. Due to good defensive tile bonuses and a clutch promotion>Full heal, the one hoplite finished off a ton of Persian units that the city-state had weakened for me. Felt just like 300. Then I cranked out a few more hoplites, razed his closest city and started pillaging tiles until he gave me an awesome peace offering. Turns are in the 300s now and Persia is now long dead. Germany was recently wiped out and Rome and India are duking it out, with me supplying strategic resources to both parties.

Palmer_v1

Help please!

I just grabbed the Free Thought cultural policy, which is supposed to make all Trading Post improvements give me 2 science, in addition to it's normal stuff. However, when I checked a tile on the map, it only shows it giving me 1 science. Is this a bug or am I missing something here?

Wallach

Archie said:
The more I play, the more I kinda miss tech trading. It is a pain in the butt to go back and research old stuff to move the tree forward.

God damn Chu-Ko-Nus. They were overpowered in Age of Kings and years later they're back to taunt me with their overpoweredness!

sdornan

I love the leader avatars in this game. They really help to humanize the game and make it seem like you're fighting distinct empires instead of CPU #1, CPU #2, etc.

They kind of look like Pixar characters, which is the highest compliment I can really give.

Also makes me want to buy the inevitable future DLC Civs.

Aaron

I've been fooling around with Deity, and wondering how you could possibly win in Civ 5. It doesn't seem possible so far. The other Civs just have absurd bonuses to the point that you can't finish a single wonder unless you're Ramses with the wonder policy buff, and you'll still lose because you won't also be able to put up a strong defense.

There's too much luck involved. Without iron, you're screwed. Removal of the stack means you can't defend by hording units. If you're very lucky, you might survive until you get crossbow men, but I haven't made it that far without iron yet. City states are useless. They fall in an eye blink. Being able to sea travel with any unit means the ocean isn't a decent early defense either.

There's no religion to keep other civs in line. There's no tech trading to try to keep pace with their absurd advantages. Bribing doesn't seem to work nearly as well as it did in 4. I really don't know what I should be doing to make this possible, other than crossing my fingers.

trinest

I wish there was a mode which there was no way to win and you could play forever- like new civilisations would form and disapear over time and you can just play forever.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to try Civ IV again (bought the complete pack on Steam during a sale) now that I have some basics down pat from the Civ V demo and reading up on heaps of general Clv strategy. This is one of the most well-structured games I have ever played. Absolutely ingenious.

Think back to when you first started understanding Civ and really started interfacing with everything it presented. That's where I am right now and it feels really fucking great. It's the first game I've actually spent serious time thinking about when I'm just doing day-to-day activities away from a PC or console in a long, long time.

Totakeke

Palmer_v1 said:
Help please!

I just grabbed the Free Thought cultural policy, which is supposed to make all Trading Post improvements give me 2 science, in addition to it's normal stuff. However, when I checked a tile on the map, it only shows it giving me 1 science. Is this a bug or am I missing something here?

Is a well known issue. Either it's a bug or they decided recently to nerf it (which seems highly plausble) but forgot to change the documentation.

Aaron said:
I've been fooling around with Deity, and wondering how you could possibly win in Civ 5. It doesn't seem possible so far. The other Civs just have absurd bonuses to the point that you can't finish a single wonder unless you're Ramses with the wonder policy buff, and you'll still lose because you won't also be able to put up a strong defense.

There's too much luck involved. Without iron, you're screwed. Removal of the stack means you can't defend by hording units. If you're very lucky, you might survive until you get crossbow men, but I haven't made it that far without iron yet. City states are useless. They fall in an eye blink. Being able to sea travel with any unit means the ocean isn't a decent early defense either.

There's no religion to keep other civs in line. There's no tech trading to try to keep pace with their absurd advantages. Bribing doesn't seem to work nearly as well as it did in 4. I really don't know what I should be doing to make this possible, other than crossing my fingers.

High difficulties is all about conquest and careful manipulation to achieve that, Civ V is no different.

Wallach

Rez said:
I'm going to try Civ IV again (bought the complete pack on Steam during a sale) now that I have some basics down pat from the Civ V demo and reading up on heaps of general Clv strategy. This is one of the most well-structured games I have ever played. Absolutely ingenious.

Think back to when you first started understanding Civ and really started interfacing with everything it presented. That's where I am right now and it feels really fucking great. It's the first game I've actually spent serious time thinking about away from a PC or console.

Fuck yeah it does.

As for going back to IV (I'm still playing IV because I am still trying to convince myself to put this purchase off for a while), my suggestion is to only play "vanilla" IV for now. Don't run into Warlords, Colonization or Beyond the Sword yet. Personally I think none of those did much for IV and I don't think I'll play BtS again after I finish my current game, but I would get really comfortable with the base game before trying any of those.

LCfiner

Rez said:

Think back to when you first started understanding Civ and really started interfacing with everything it presented. That's where I am right now and it feels really fucking great. It's the first game I've actually spent serious time thinking about when I'm just doing day-to-day activities away from a PC or console.

So, I just did the same. Went back and played a bit of Civ IV after the end of my first V game.

First thing that reminded me how different the games are. a random, single unit barbarian around 100 turns in killed 2 of my warriors and totally ransacked and converted one of my cities. I was shocked. and I really, REALLY missed the ability of a city to defend itself with ranged attacks that’s new in V

So now, if I go back to IV again (unlikely, tbh) I’ll have to make sure I build stacks of warriors to deal with these random, early game barbarian attacks. And I was only playing on Chieftan difficulty. that was embarrassing.

Oh, and it’s tough to go back to 1) the more primitive world graphics and 2) the uglier and more cartoony world leaders. and, I nearly forgot, 3) the much, much worse UI in IV.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I only have vanilla-IV installed at the moment anyway. Prior to the last month or so I'd played it a little bit and won some games on low difficulties and played a fair bit of Civ Rev on my phone, but I hadn't really understood all the systems in place until now. I guess the generally fool-proof and super-pretty UI in Civ V was what really triggered a deeper understanding for me. It's allowing me to now go back to IV with an understanding of some of those systems that carry over between the games and better understand them. I think that's why Civ V is so impressive to me. The way it presents information is just so natural, especially for the uninitiated, like myself.

Edit: LC, yeah, I expect I'll face similar issues. I can deal with the somewhat dated presentation, at the moment I'm just so excited by the game itself that I'm not even really paying all that much attention to it.

Aaron

Totakeke said:
High difficulties is all about conquest and careful manipulation to achieve that, Civ V is no different.
HOW? You won't survive long in this game if you don't keep pace in tech. The only way to do that against the cheat boosts the AI gets is rapid expansion and development, but you simply can't do that because you need to devote a good chunk of your resources to defense. So far the only thing that's worked is finding a close iron supply and being lucky enough to put next to a less hostile civ in a relatively closed area.

One game I was set next to Napoleon. He utterly destroyed me with longswordsmen fairly early on. I tried bolstering the nearby city state as a buffer. Didn't work. No matter what I did, they always fell in two turns. I rushed to iron. Didn't discover iron in my area. I focused on producing military units (and walls) at the expense of development. I held out longer, but he still crushed me because he was easily out producing me with superior firepower. Did better in other attempts with different civs (I was playing the Greeks here) and different placements, but that was too much due to luck, and still didn't bring me close to winning.

Totakeke

Aaron said:
HOW? You won't survive long in this game if you don't keep pace in tech. The only way to do that against the cheat boosts the AI gets is rapid expansion and development, but you simply can't do that because you need to devote a good chunk of your resources to defense. So far the only thing that's worked is finding a close iron supply and being lucky enough to put next to a less hostile civ in a relatively closed area.

One game I was set next to Napoleon. He utterly destroyed me with longswordsmen fairly early on. I tried bolstering the nearby city state as a buffer. Didn't work. No matter what I did, they always fell in two turns. I rushed to iron. Didn't discover iron in my area. I focused on producing military units (and walls) at the expense of development. I held out longer, but he still crushed me because he was easily out producing me with superior firepower. Did better in other attempts with different civs (I was playing the Greeks here) and different placements, but that was too much due to luck, and still didn't bring me close to winning.

Attack when you're still at tech parity, i.e. near the beginning of the game. And obviously, you can't win Deity unless your starting area is at least average to good. You can't win if you're already unlucky. Even the best players don't win every deity game in Civ IV just because they want to.

Some has said the Deity AI is still pretty terrible at warfare though.

Rad-

Archie said:

It's not just the unit that makes them so powerful, it's the fact that China's Great General gives 45% STR boost. Chu-Ko-Nu with 45% STR boost is really powerful. Not to mention China also spawns Great Generals twice as fast as other nations.

England is another nation with a very powerful UU.

Top Bottom