• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Rad- said:
It's not just the unit that makes them so powerful, it's the fact that China's Great General gives 45% STR boost. Chu-Ko-Nu with 45% STR boost is really powerful. Not to mention China also spawns Great Generals twice as fast as other nations.

England is another nation with a very powerful UU.

Japan is nuts with the attacking at 100% even when the unit is damaged

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
one thing that always gets me still, during the first fifty turns or so there is a lot of skipping through turns waiting for things to be built. and then something will pop-up showing me that another Civ is doing much better than me. anything I should be aware of early on?

Zzoram

Rez said:
one thing that always gets me still, during the first fifty turns or so there is a lot of skipping through turns waiting for things to be built. and then something will pop-up showing me that another Civ is doing much better than me. anything I should be aware of early on?

Get a Scout as the first thing you build. Being first to meet a city-state means getting 30g instead of 15g reward. Being first to find Natural Wonders gives you +1 Happiness permanently, and first to find Ruins can give you free tech or upgrade your unit to the next era equivalent.

You're probably just not getting enough of those scouting bonuses.

Totakeke

Rez said:

There's nothing much you can do other than plan what you're going to do and make sure everything is in time. What victory are you going for? Are you trying to get any wonders, do you have any marble nearby and how many turns will the tech be researched and the quarry be built? Can you get line up your tech rate and the turn where you will finish the great library to get an enormous tech jump? Will you get the social policy bonus just right in time to you to build the wonder or will you get a great general just right when you're done building your army and ready to attack? In how many turns will you get the tech to build the improvement nearby and will your worker be there in time? Where are you going to build your second city and do you want to plan ahead so the roads are already prebuilt to link to your capital when you build that city?

It's all about optimization and planning which you can push very far. It's also more important the higher the difficulty you go. Once you plan everything out, every turn will feel more important.

Danj

How do you use Great Generals? I figured out what you can do with Great Scientists, Engineers and Artists but I can't seem to do anything useful with a Great General other than starting a Golden Age? I do like that it only takes one Great Person to start a Golden Age now though.

zoku88

Danj said:
How do you use Great Generals? I figured out what you can do with Great Scientists, Engineers and Artists but I can't seem to do anything useful with a Great General other than starting a Golden Age? I do like that it only takes one Great Person to start a Golden Age now though.
They give combat bonuses if they are near your units.

Totakeke

Danj said:

You can build citadels which could be great as a chokepoint to deter invading civs. But their most important use is the 25% combat bonus they give to their surrounding units. China has 45% bonus for their great generals. So that's a pretty huge bump for your units. Extra great generals can be used for golden age, but I believe their golden ages are much shorter than the others.

Aaron

Totakeke said:
Attack when you're still at tech parity, i.e. near the beginning of the game. And obviously, you can't win Deity unless your starting area is at least average to good. You can't win if you're already unlucky. Even the best players don't win every deity game in Civ IV just because they want to.

Some has said the Deity AI is still pretty terrible at warfare though.
I think there might be some combat scaling also, since I was having a hard enough time killing barbarian encampments, which were a breeze on Prince. Taking down another civ has so far been beyond my means, but maybe I'm not picking the right starting person.

As I said before, there were things you could do in Civ IV on deity to make up for bad luck, like heavy unit stacking, religion manipulation, and tech trading... all gone in V with nothing really to take their place except hope.

Rad-

Danj said:

If I need help conquering a city, I use them as a STR boost for my units. If I'm doing fine either way, I turn on Golden Age. Unless I'm playing as China in which case I always use them as STR boost.

Totakeke

Aaron said:
I think there might be some combat scaling also, since I was having a hard enough time killing barbarian encampments, which were a breeze on Prince. Taking down another civ has so far been beyond my means, but maybe I'm not picking the right starting person.

As I said before, there were things you could do in Civ IV on deity to make up for bad luck, like heavy unit stacking, religion manipulation, and tech trading... all gone in V with nothing really to take their place except hope.

Eh, it probably won't be long until someone on civfanatics posts a report detailing their win on deity. AFAIK, one guy already posted a screenshot showing a win using China and abusing upgraded Cho-Ko-Nu heavily. There's still a lot of the exact mechanics that we don't know that's hidden due to the poor documentation, so it's hardly a concern if people can't beat Deity right now even if that does happen.

The two things to do that comes with very little downside right now is to get Maritime city states allies and to steal workers from city states. You probably still need to build your first worker, but you can get the remaining by just stealing from city states you don't care for. Declare war, grab worker, then declare peace.

Zaptruder

Banned
Totakeke said:
You can build citadels which could be great as a chokepoint to deter invading civs. But their most important use is the 25% combat bonus they give to their surrounding units. China has 45% bonus for their great generals. So that's a pretty huge bump for your units. Extra great generals can be used for golden age, but I believe their golden ages are much shorter than the others.

This is incorrect. Golden Ages granted by great people start at 12 and diminish by 1 per great person used.

If it was reduced, it's probably because you'd used a bunch already and had only taken note when trying to use the great general.

As always, the ultimate path to civilization is always tech; but tech is reliant on overall size of the nation. It's like the uber-production thats done on the side of all the smaller building/unit productions.

It's a shame that, that path runs counter to culture rewards... but syncs in directly with military conquest (having giant death robots before anyone else grants a player the greatest military advantage possible in the game).

Erh... buggy mess ftw. Had units disappear on me left and right. Then i lost a dozen techs at once.
"Hmmm, my cavalry disappeared again. Oh well, i'll just buy some, again. Oh wait, i cant produce any anymore?? Oh wait.... I... I.... what?"

Victrix

*beard*
The AI in this game is completely terrible, and the mid to late game turn processing times and chunkiness suck

The rest is awesome

Needs a few patches and some serious AI work and it'll be a winner

Totakeke

Zaptruder said:
As always, the ultimate path to civilization is always tech; but tech is reliant on overall size of the nation. It's like the uber-production thats done on the side of all the smaller building/unit productions.

It's a shame that, that path runs counter to culture rewards... but syncs in directly with military conquest (having giant death robots before anyone else grants a player the greatest military advantage possible in the game).

Thinking that you always have to tech will probably make your conquest inadequate. Sometimes when you reach a certain point in tech, you have to commit to conquest and that's when you stop building infrastructure and go full on military units until you finish your war. Trying to "always tech" will make your conquest lacking and wasteful. Tech is just a means to an end unless you're going to a space victory.

And you don't have to have a large empire to tech the fastest. A small empire with large population cities with properly planned settling site and improvements are often better than a poorly developed large sprawling empire for teching.

That's different for lower difficulties of course, you can do pretty much whatever you want and come out on top.

Sblargh

Banned
I found out, at least on Prince, you really don't need many units. 5 units and a slight tech lead and you can win any war.

This is what happened.
I finished conquering my continent and went searching the world. Found America and Persia fighting and helped myself to some Washington that was just lying around defenseless. (5 units. 2 infantaries, 2 cavalaries and one cannon) I took it and Washington made peace with Darius, giving him all of america except one city. So now, what used to be a desert blue became a crowded red. I mean, really crowded. I had infantary and he had pikemen and knights; so my tech lead was quite strong. Still, he was sorrounding me completely, at least 15 units (and more coming) against my five.
Obviously, he declares war. So now I'm attacked everywhere and... lost nothing. Have some units on the yellow, others on the red. Use upgrades to heal everyone and oh man, what a massacre, he was just suiciding countless units into mine and not killing anything.
So, during his turn he suicides the pikemen into my infantry and on my turn, I kill the crossbow and trebuchet.
Those five heroes conquered half the continent. Sometimes I would say "this infantary goes to this city, this cavalry to this) and one unit was able to capture his cities.

So, yeah, maybe AI needs some tweaking, maybe my tech lead was just too big and I was supposed to be overcoming his greater numbers, what I do know is how satisfactory it is to see yourself in this situation and come out the winner. :lol

noise36

Happiness seems to be pretty much the key to winning this game.

Finding early game combat way to easy on King level and late game combat way to hard due to 1 civ being ahead in tech and power.

Zzoram said:
Get a Scout as the first thing you build. Being first to meet a city-state means getting 30g instead of 15g reward. Being first to find Natural Wonders gives you +1 Happiness permanently, and first to find Ruins can give you free tech or upgrade your unit to the next era equivalent.

You're probably just not getting enough of those scouting bonuses.

That's my strategy with England. Get to trireme/caravels as soon as possible, then go explore the world with my naval movement bonus. It's quite lucrative. :D

itxaka

Defeatist
fuck this game.

Im on a game with 400 turns already in and it hangs everytime at 412-420.

Have loaded the save like 20 times now, it keeps hanging. Fix this shit ffs, I want to finish the goddamn game, not start another one.

Jasconius

rhfb said:
So I went for a Cultural victory tonight, ran out of time. 4 Cities too many to try for that??? Basically I just needed 20 more turns to build my thingy :(

I spent the entire day playing on large emperor map to try this, I should be able to finish it ~175 turns before end of game as long as one of the two huge civs that are left doesn't decide to wipe me out first. In the 1800s I got one of those things that told you the value of everyone's armies... Theirs were both ~50,000, mine was 512. Not sure why I'm still alive but I'm hoping they don't decide to attack me for about 25 more turns while I finish the project. >.>

Built 3 cities, seemed to work out pretty well once I -finally- got to Archaelogy. Since I've only done it once I can't say for sure if only having 3 cities was the reason or not. ;p

Wallach

itxaka said:
fuck this game.

Have loaded the save like 20 times now, it keeps hanging. Fix this shit ffs, I want to finish the goddamn game, not start another one.

Are you playing in DX10/11?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I hope they get some AI fixes out soon. I love this game but it's not rewarding when you can steamroll through other civs with a handful of units at any point in the game.

Ysiadmihi said:
I hope they get some AI fixes out soon. I love this game but it's not rewarding when you can steamroll through other civs with a handful of units at any point in the game.
Play on immortal, where the AIs spawn 3-4 warriors at the start apparently for free and tag team you at any chance they get. On my first game on immortal, i had just about every civ/neighbor near me declare war on me for almost no reason except "you seem weak;" the number of total attacking bodies was about 7 between civs and city states.

Seriously though, the difficulty curve in civ5 is crazy. Anything below immortal is pretty relaxed, and then, all of the sudden, the ai gets ridiculous bonuses. The game's in desperate need of some in between ground.

Totakeke

itxaka said:
fuck this game.

Load the latest autosave or one further back, that worked for me.

PillowKnight said:
Play on immortal, where the AIs spawn 3-4 warriors at the start apparently for free and tag team you at any chance they get. On my first game on immortal, i had just about every civ/neighbor near me declare war on me for almost no reason except "you seem weak;" the number of total attacking bodies was about 7 between civs and city states.

Seriously though, the difficulty curve in civ5 is crazy. Anything below immortal is pretty relaxed, and then, all of the sudden, the ai gets ridiculous bonuses. The game's in desperate need of some in between ground.

Civ4 was also like that. I think Monarch and the difficulty above it represented a pretty big difficulty jump. Maybe not an irrational jump like the one you're describing though.

r1chard

Bugger. Was working towards either Space Race or Cultural victory (couldn't decide which one) when I accidentally won the diplomatic victory :)

Chieftan, of course. Will try a harder difficulty next time ;-)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
so having 10 silver veins in m y possesion still only grants me +5 and not +50 right?

Which leads me to assume that the surplus' only use is trade?

Totakeke

Corky said:
so having 10 silver veins in m y possesion still only grants me +5 and not +50 right?

Which leads me to assume that the surplus' only use is trade?

Yup. Though you can build mints in the cities that has a lot of silver to increase your gold production. You can still trade away all your silver though.

Corky

Totakeke said:
Yup. Though you can build mints in the cities that has a lot of silver to increase your gold production. You can still trade away all your silver though.

oh thanks, there's much to learn when it comes to building tileimprovements and I think it's somewhat unclear, atleast for me it is. How do I know what "the best" tileimprovement for a certain is? Is it always the recommended one? During the endgame it almost looked like my automated workers were all replacing and further replacing tiles that were already built upon.

Is this because of changes in demand ? Like if my city grows and food is more valuable than gold at that moment, will the workers start building farms on my tradingposts?

itxaka

Defeatist
Totakeke said:
Load the latest autosave or one further back, that worked for me.

Already did, it hangs on the same place, around 405-412 turns.

Are you playing in DX10/11?

Yep, is it broken? I get a stable 60fps with everything on high on 1680x1050, didn't know that coul be a problem. Should I launch it on dx9?

I am full of rage, I just want to beat the shit out of rome! :lol

Totakeke

Corky said:
oh thanks, there's much to learn when it comes to building tileimprovements and I think it's somewhat unclear, atleast for me it is. How do I know what "the best" tileimprovement for a certain is? Is it always the recommended one? During the endgame it almost looked like my automated workers were all replacing and further replacing tiles that were already built upon.

Is this because of changes in demand ? Like if my city grows and food is more valuable than gold at that moment, will the workers start building farms on my tradingposts?

Someone probably needs to compile a list of tile improvements and extra bonuses you get from certain techs, but it's mostly up to you right now. Some people are saying trade posts are better because how useful gold is in this game. Some are saying plains are much better than grasslands because production is much more important. Rivers are always better than no rivers. Depending on how much extra happiness you have or you can get, you might also want to limit the population of your cities if you don't want to go into unhappiness.

Plus there's also city specialization where you want city to be high population to produce science, one with high production to produce military, and maybe one to produce gold? There's also social policies that affects how you want to improve your tiles. For example, the 25% increase in building production for Order isn't that great if all you have is only food tiles.

Right now it's not really clear yet what's the best to do, but what you're doing should have a purpose behind it.

itxaka said:
Already did, it hangs on the same place, around 405-412 turns.

How does it crash for you? For mine, the screen doesn't move anymore after I press end turn but the globe keeps spinning. Any attempt to switch to another program or open up task manager pops up the program has stopped working message.

Corky

Totakeke said:
Someone probably needs to compile a list of tile improvements and extra bonuses you get from certain techs, but it's mostly up to you right now. Some people are saying trade posts are better because how useful gold is in this game. Some are saying plains are much better than grasslands because production is much more important. Rivers are always better than no rivers. Depending on how much extra happiness you have or you can get, you might also want to limit the population of your cities if you don't want to go into unhappiness.

Plus there's also city specialization where you want city to be high population to produce science, one with high production to produce military, and maybe one to produce gold? There's also social policies that affects how you want to improve your tiles. For example, the 25% increase in building production for Order isn't that great if all you have is only food tiles.

Right now it's not really clear yet what's the best to do, but what you're doing should have a purpose behind it.

Thank you, I suspected there wouldn't be a clear cut answer, atleast I'll stick to " having a purpose behind " whatever I choose to build. Most of the time has been just pumping out colosseums and theatres to keep my opressed people happy. I always dangle between +-1 happiness.

This game is absolutely amazing

Griffin

264newx.png

Great...

itxaka said:
Yep, is it broken? I get a stable 60fps with everything on high on 1680x1050, didn't know that coul be a problem. Should I launch it on dx9?

Run it in DX9.

Corky

Btw , the "continents" map option, is that version of realworld continents or just some fictitious ones?

Facism

i need to force 1440x900x60 resolution in this game. I can't set it in the ingame dropdownbox. I found a place in the ini that had variables to change but that did nothing. -h -w in steam launch options doesn't help :<

Fistwell said:
Erh... buggy mess ftw. Had units disappear on me left and right. Then i lost a dozen techs at once.
"Hmmm, my cavalry disappeared again. Oh well, i'll just buy some, again. Oh wait, i cant produce any anymore?? Oh wait.... I... I.... what?"

Are you sure you didn't run out of the resource required to build those units?

Danj

So OK, I finally managed to win a game, but I suck so much at games that I had to turn the difficulty all the way down to Settler. Anyone got any tips for not sucking at the difficulty levels everyone else plays at? :)

Rad-

Danj said:
So OK, I finally managed to win a game, but I suck so much at games that I had to turn the difficulty all the way down to Settler. Anyone got any tips for not sucking at the difficulty levels everyone else plays at? :)

What are the main problems you run into? Is is the lack of money or losing fights or ...?

A general tip in Civ games is to always have a decent sized army, even if you have no intention of warmongering. This way AI doesn't have the balls to wage wars against you and you can build your nation quite peacefully.

Also money is now more important than it was in Civ 4 so try to always keep the money gain on the positive side. Basically just build a lot of tradeposts.

In the beginning I always go for 3-4 starting cities. That's a good starting point and just keep on growing from there on. When deciding starting location, aim for at least 2-3 resources near it and place the city on a hill if there's one (for defense bonus). Don't make it too far from your capital as road costs can be a bitch in that case.

In fights, always use the terrain to your advantage. Forest + hill combo is the best, always try to attain that position for your units if possible. When conquering early cities, 2-3 melee units backed up with 1-2 ranged units should be enough for most cities. Remember that more population means the city has more health (meaning more population means harder to take). Those 1-5 population cities are a piece of cake.

spazzfish

I need a little help please. I'm new to civ and have been plugging through the games tutorials and hit a bit of a wall on the one where you have to improve your cities by making farms and mines and joining the cities by roads.
The road building to join up the two outer cities to the middle one is what caused the problem.
I got my worker in the middle of the middle city and clicked that build road to a specific tile option to the middle of the top city and did the same to the bottom city.
My workers built the roads and joined up the three cities in a line. However even though the roads had finished it didn't meet the tutorials requirements. I couldn't actually see a logical way of doing anything else with the road to link the cities so I ended up just spamming roads all over the place and it finally said I had completed the tutorial, but I don't know what I did to meet the criteria properly.
As you can guess I can't just spam roads all over the place. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong to join up cities as I'm actually finding the tutorial about as helpful as a chocolate teapot at the moment.

coopolon

REally wasn't going to get this game. Then two friends call me up and say they want to buy it and I should get it too, so I do.

We start a game at 9PM, finally defeat the last civ at 5AM. Welcome back, Civilization.

qwerty2k

sorry to sully this thread with Civ IV talk...but im a mac user and since Civ V isn;t out on Mac yet i was looking into getting Civ IV from Steam, loads of addons etc for it, what do i need? ie, whats the best addons etc (ie, do i just need Civ Colonisation?), cheers.

I don't know about anybody else, but the 'I wish things were just a *tad* simpler' part of me wants to take the CiV UI out behind the middle school and get it pregnant. :D Seriously, I LOVE the interface. All the alerts down the right-hand side just make me giddy.

TheFreshPrince

First time Civ player!

What's the quickest way to get across deep water? And if it's going to take a while, do I just keep building my cities in the meantime? Or should I be amassing a military?

I'm playing a Continents map game...and I'm the only Civ on my landmass....what do I need to get to in order to cross the ocean? Embarking units only seems to let them enter coastal waters.

Najaf

TheFreshPrince said:
First time Civ player!

What's the quickest way to get across deep water? And if it's going to take a while, do I just keep building my cities in the meantime? Or should I be amassing a military?

I'm playing a Continents map game...and I'm the only Civ on my landmass....what do I need to get to in order to cross the ocean? Embarking units only seems to let them enter coastal waters.

You can expect techs to follow a timeline similar to human history. So don't expect to be going across the ocean to the new worlds until ~1300 A.D. and that is if you are teching fast. You need access to the Caravel. Use the help button to look it up in the civilopedia.

Najaf

Danj said:

If you are having trouble, take a small approach. Keep just two cities until you get to ocean travel. This will allow you to explore the social policies more. They are cheaper with fewer cities.

Just keep it simple. Have one city with lots of farms near a river to boost population. Use that for your research city. Focus on building things that will help its beaker count.

Your other city is your production city. Focus on creating production buildings in there like a barracks, forge, and harbor. Having this near iron helps too. Once this is up and running, keep a good, modern army up always to deter warmongering AIs. (or humans)

The biggest problem for most new civ players is they expand too fast and loose focus. You should be getting comfortable micro-managing your cities. You want each city to have a purpose. Having focused cities will be much more effective than having a lot of jack-of-all-trades cities.

Types of focus cities in civ:
Research (beaker) city
Commerce city
Production city
Great person farm (late game city that has a lot of specialists and wonders that boost GP points)

As you explore at the start of the game, keep an eye out for ideal spots for at least the first three. If those prized spots are in danger of being taken by AI civs, then grab them early. If not, focus on being an efficient 2 or 3 city empire first.

Civ4 was all about the land grab. Civ5 combats that through the 33% hike in price for social policies with every additional city. Smaller is better in most cases in the early game.

Xater

I tried the demo out earlier today and I love it. I have been palying CIv 4 the last few days and the changes are aleady very apparent and awesome. I don't have the strongest machine (2 year old iMac) but even on low settings it looks alright and is perfectly playable. After all this is a turn based game and has no twitch. I am totally gonna get it as soon as there is a Mac port, which has to come at some point in the future.

BTW the best change totally is the one that there can only be one military unit on one hex. well the interface overhaul is also nice.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
First time Civ player, and man this tutorial is useless. :lol Turn 200+ and I still don't really have a grasp on anything.

Top Bottom