• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Vagabundo

Willy105 said:
Cover art is very important stuff. I don't see how people can be so ignorant against the first thing people see when they are going to buy the game.

I've never been so tempted to quote someone's tag...

alanias

Willy105 said:
Cover art is very important stuff. I don't see how people can be so ignorant against the first thing people see when they are going to buy the game.

A lot of people won't see it. At least, it will never factor into my Steam purchase, or most other DD purchases. What makes you dislike it?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hari Seldon said:
Pretty much every civ game I play I start out being good and then Montezuma or some other bastard invades me and my temper gets hot and then I go blitzkrieg for the rest of the game.

Same except since Im like czartim and I just culture the shit out everything and build all the improvements available I end up never having any military units to really put up a defense or counter attack and I know that I'll end up losing everything so I just end up rage WorldBuilder and spam like 50 ICBMs and nuke the crap out of everyone.

So I too am greatly looking forward to this more strategic and quality based combat compared to old quantity and attrition based combat.

Sblargh

Banned
zoku88 said:
Not really. Most of that was just an excuse people made. People killed each other for power. People allied for power. Those minor details were hardly ever a factor (besides, maybe, rebellions.)

Yep, that's what I think too.
Also, I like to do a little roleplay while CIVing, so I'll probably go to war so I can get that gold and am able to build a golden sink just 'cause, but will be screaming at the screen "my people!
sons and daughters of Helghan!
They said our God is worse than their God! Let's go kill them for The Greater Good!"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
timetokill said:
Are we going to set up some GAF games? Something where we play a few hours at specific times or something?
I'd like to do participate in this. Casual Division pls.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Definitely in, but Steam usually unlocks shit at noon. lame!

Suairyu

Banned
Will be slightly LTTP, but also wish to join a casual division GAF group.

Question before I bite the bullet and pre-order - those various map-packs included with pre-orders, are they mostly aesthetic/resource placement changes? I'm actually confused as to their purpose as pre-order incentives; wouldn't the mod community replicate anything they provide within a matter of days?

Halycon said:
Definitely in, but Steam usually unlocks shit at noon. lame!

It'll probably be unlocked at midnight, since it's a big title. Shouldn't take the timer on the store page as fact, since Valve generally updates it to reflect midnight launches on the day before a game comes out.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'd be in for a casual game, but only the PBEM-style ones. Would work best as I could sneak in a few turns here and there throughout the day. :lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
crimsonheadGCN said:
It'll probably be unlocked at midnight, since it's a big title. Shouldn't take the timer on the store page as fact, since Valve generally updates it to reflect midnight launches on the day before a game comes out.
They unlocked ME2 at noon though :(

It made me sad :(

Zero Hero

My biggest decision is whether or not I'm going to have to take off work next Wednesday. I suspect I'll be going to bed pretty late on Tuesday. :D

Firebrand

timetokill said:
Oh... huh. That is interesting. When are those features coming on? Any info on that?

When this interview was originally posted there was this quote:

We're going to have the basics out of the gate. About a month after release, we're going to add Pitboss. Pitboss will be accompanied by two extraneous modes that we weren't originally planning, but the fans keep asking for: play-by-mail and hot-seat.

but they seem to have to changed it since to "We are going to have basic multiplayer options at release, and then are going to be adding a number of new modes in the weeks thereafter"

Zing

Banned
Ok, I want this game. I was planning on ignoring it, but I stumbled across that live play video and all of the changes I saw are exactly what the game needed. And here I thought Civ4 had it perfected.

But goddamn, what is with these system requirements? I am running a P4 3.4Ghz with Geforce 7800. I know that my CPU is faster than a Core2Duo 1.8 and I find it hard to believe that a 7900GS is that much faster than a 7800.

Although, it looks like the game is set to really take advantage of multiple cores, and I also do not have DirectX 11 since I am running XP.

I am so damn tempted. I want to preorder, but I also want to try the demo to see how it runs. It seems the demo was initially planned to be available shortly before release, but it still isn't here.

dream

Zing said:
Ok, I want this game. I was planning on ignoring it, but I stumbled across that live play video and all of the changes I saw are exactly what the game needed. And here I thought Civ4 had it perfected.

But goddamn, what is with these system requirements? I am running a P4 3.4Ghz with Geforce 7800. I know that my CPU is faster than a Core2Duo 1.8 and I find it hard to believe that a 7900GS is that much faster than a 7800.

Although, it looks like the game is set to really take advantage of multiple cores, and I also do not have DirectX 11 since I am running XP.

I am so damn tempted. I want to preorder, but I also want to try the demo to see how it runs. It seems the demo was initially planned to be available shortly before release, but it still isn't here.

Your CPU isn't faster than a 1.8GHz C2D because of its less efficient architecture though. But yeah, you should definitely wait for the demo before putting any money down. Your machine sounds like it's pretty long in the tooth but you might be okay with Civ 5 on the lowest settings with smaller maps and fewer civs.

Zing

Banned
My system has basically been frozen in time for many years as I retired from PC gaming in 2006. Actually, I guess I gave up way before that, since the last game I bought was Doom 3. I brought it out of retirement a few months ago.

The system runs StarCraft II at medium settings perfectly fine. It's weird to think that Civilization would run slower.

Nocebo

I AM SO HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPED! but then I found out europe is getting it on the 24th instead of 21st. Hype not so much. But then I looked at the calendar and found that the 24th is a friday so much more convenient HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!

pix

Vagabundo said:
How does the PBEM work?

This thread has a very poor hype response from GAF. Very disappointed.

Im assuming you start the game, make a move, and the save game gets sent to the other players email that you entered when you started the game. Then you exchange saves back and forth so you don't need to be on all the time to play.

Also disappointed in the lack of hype =p

Mael

so very late to the party....
No mac version?
I mean I'm not port begging I'm just wondering if it'll take a year and a half like every other episode in this serie.

pix

Mael said:
so very late to the party....
No mac version?
I mean I'm not port begging I'm just wondering if it'll take a year and a half like every other episode in this serie.

No mac version that I am aware of, that was dated.

Seth C

Zing said:
My system has basically been frozen in time for many years as I retired from PC gaming in 2006. Actually, I guess I gave up way before that, since the last game I bought was Doom 3. I brought it out of retirement a few months ago.

The system runs StarCraft II at medium settings perfectly fine. It's weird to think that Civilization would run slower.

Late game on large maps will make my 2 year-old laptop chug playing Civilization 3 (much less Civ 4). You should be able to play Civ 5, but the longer the game goes the longer you will be waiting between turns. And the waits could get loooong.

Zing

Banned
Seth C said:
Late game on large maps will make my 2 year-old laptop chug playing Civilization 3 (much less Civ 4). You should be able to play Civ 5, but the longer the game goes the longer you will be waiting between turns. And the waits could get loooong.

Strange. I played a lot of Civ 4 and never had noticeable slow down even in the end game. I am able to run it at 1600x1200 with max AA and it's not any slower than with lower settings.

I do recall reading stories of people having 30 second turn times between turns, but I think that was due to mods or maybe Beyond the Sword was inherently slower. I only play vanilla.

Hari Seldon

Zing said:
Strange. I played a lot of Civ 4 and never had noticeable slow down even in the end game. I am able to run it at 1600x1200 with max AA and it's not any slower than with lower settings.

I do recall reading stories of people having 30 second turn times between turns, but I think that was due to mods or maybe Beyond the Sword was inherently slower. I only play vanilla.

PCs designed to surf the net and do word processing are just as bad at crunching serious numbers as they are in displaying pretty graphics.

MjFrancis

Zing said:
It's probably time for a dual-core CPU and budget GPU if you want to play Civ V. A P4 is pretty old at this point, but if you can get it to run alright in the demo, I'd so go for it, but not before then.

Vagabundo

MjFrancis said:
It's probably time for a dual-core CPU and budget GPU if you want to play Civ V. A P4 is pretty old at this point, but if you can get it to run alright in the demo, I'd so go for it, but not before then.

P4's are just pimped up PIII's anyway.

Seth C

MjFrancis said:

Yup. Thankfully I'm running a Phenom II X4, but with the on-board graphics. Oh, woe is me. I'll see how it runs and then buy a new graphics card. I was waiting for this or Diablo 3 to do so.

MjFrancis

I should have probably said multiple-core instead of dual-core. CPU's just keep getting cheaper, and building a mid-range gaming computer for a few hundred dollars is pretty easy.

HooCares

Neo Member
CIV IV is an amazing game, but it took several expansions (namely BTS), patches, and community improvements (BTS Unaltered Gameply Mod) to perfect it.

Does anyone remember STR 18 Cossacks? What about Vanilla Redcoats pre-patch? 1/2 priced Financial Banks?

After BTS and the subsequent patches and fan support, it is finally a polished, nearly perfect iteration of CIV that I'm still enjoying to this day.

I'm sure CIV5 will be amazing but I'm going to wait a bit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
HooCares said:
CIV IV is an amazing game, but it took several expansions (namely BTS), patches, and community improvements (BTS Unaltered Gameply Mod) to perfect it.

Does anyone remember STR 18 Cossacks? What about Vanilla Redcoats pre-patch? 1/2 priced Financial Banks?

After BTS and the subsequent patches and fan support, it is finally a polished, nearly perfect iteration of CIV that I'm still enjoying to this day.

I'm sure CIV5 will be amazing but I'm going to wait a bit.
I'm actually most excited about following this from scratch. I got 4 when it came out, played out for a while, then checked out until well after BTS had been released. It will be fun to be more on top of things this time around, even if yes, as a matter of course, the product in two years will be better than the product releasing next week.

Zzoram

I personally preferred Civ IV vanilla to BTS. Espionage and Corporations added too much to micromanage and wasn't that fun. The Axemen counter of Chariots from Warlords onwards was appropriate though (before they had no counter but more Axemen or Longbowmen).

Top Bottom