• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

DEO3

1zzj9d4.jpg

Civilization V is on my computer. Right now. On MY computer. Civilization V. It's installed on my computer. Right now. My computer. Civ V. HOLY SHIT. On my goddammed computer.

Unfortunately I'm still balls deep in StarCraft II, with no end in sight. I guess I'll just have to set aside a few sleepness nights for Civ V. :D

DEO3 said:
1zzj9d4.jpg

Civilization V is on my computer. Right now. On MY computer. Civilization V. It's installed on my computer. Right now. My computer. Civ V. HOLY SHIT. On my goddammed computer.
WHERE IS IT? You need to bash that case open and find it. It's there. Dig it out. You might not be alive come Tuesday.

Sober

dream said:
Is that really so bad? When would you not want to keep a captured capital?
I'm pretty sure if you set up the game instead of just doing a quick play option you could easily disable the domination victory if you really want to raze the original capital city. Honestly, if you capture it, it just means they need to recapture their original capital to be eligible for the domination victory. Sometimes people just hold a super grudge and want to grind their enemies into dust or something like that.

It only gets weird cause they probably prevent city state razing to make a diplomatic victory easier (if all the AIs hate you but you can get the city states to guarantee votes for you at the UN).

Whatever, someone will mod it or something.

Cday

Banned
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to raze city states since when you capture them they cease being city states and thus have no votes anyway.

Nvm. Forgot about the whole liberate a city state and they're your best buds mechanic. Pretty interesting that city states can capture other cities.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Baller said:
Unfortunately I'm still balls deep in StarCraft II, with no end in sight. I guess I'll just have to set aside a few sleepness nights for Civ V. :D
Just run both at the same time. Play a couple turns of Civ in-between level loads of SC2. ;)

DEO3 said:

Jealous. D2D won't release my serial so I can preload on Steam. Anyone know what time (and time zone) they release serials? I've never preordered there before.

tagrat

Hmm... I pre-ordered on Steam and have the latest client, but I can't seem to find out where I go to preload = (

dream

platypotamus said:
Jealous. D2D won't release my serial so I can preload on Steam. Anyone know what time (and time zone) they release serials? I've never preordered there before.

Did you go to the My Games page and click download? That's how I got mine.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What will you be doing while waiting for Civ turns to finish?

I know I'll be playing EO3.

DEO3

platypotamus said:

Are you sure? Because I ordered from D2D as well and my code was made available earlier today.

Beowulf28

Do you guys think my laptop should be able to run this on atleast medium settings?

Core i5 M520 @ 2.40ghz
Nvidia GT 310m
4gb DDR3 ram

Thanks guys, last time I checked (a day or so ago) it still said Preorder there, so I assumed it wasn't updating until release. Glad I asked in this thread, preloading now.

EDIT: hmmm, Steam doesn't call mine the Digital Deluxe Edition, so I hope I still get my babylon.

DEO3

platypotamus said:
EDIT: hmmm, Steam doesn't call mine the Digital Deluxe Edition, so I hope I still get my babylon.

I don't think anyone has gotten the digital deluxe stuff yet, none of the Babylon files are in the pre-load apparently, nor the making of video, or soundtrack. So it seems like those items will be a separate day 1 download.

Erudite

epmode said:
If they release the serial numbers early, I don't see why not.

They haven't been released yet.
I just got my serial number from D2D and punched it into Steam, pre-loading now

Zzoram

platypotamus said:
Civ V just became the first game I added to my favorites list in Steam before it was released

When it unlocks you'll have to re-favorite it I believe. It happened to a few other games I pre-loaded.

vpance

Starting difficulty anyone? Guess I'll start at Prince or whatever's in the middle.

Never got past Monarch in Civ4, but also didn't try that many times at it. The late game got boring to manage and the tech advantage they had over me was usually too much.

punkypine

so i ordered a new computer that just happens to be delivered the same day this game comes out... if i download the game on this computer, can i just drag the files over? also, what is the total size of the download

SRG01

Okay, I'm going to wait patiently until next week when I'm not so busy at work. :lol This does not bode well for my teaching job... :lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
punkypine said:
so i ordered a new computer that just happens to be delivered the same day this game comes out... if i download the game on this computer, can i just drag the files over? also, what is the total size of the download
You can copy the Steam data files to avoid the download. I believe it's the "common" folder in "steamapps" but it might include stuff inside "steamapps" as well. Total size of Civ V is about 4.45 GB.

punkypine

Halycon said:
You can copy the Steam data files to avoid the download. I believe it's the "common" folder in "steamapps" but it might include stuff inside "steamapps" as well. Total size of Civ V is about 4.45 GB.
ah okay thanks. Although 4.5 gigs isnt bad at all, i was expecting 8+ gigs, i may be able to download it directly to my other computer while setting up other things

Zero Hero

punkypine said:

I install Steam on my PC whenever I redo it and copy my Steam backup directory over the install. Login to Steam and your golden. No need to re-download anything.

Sblargh

Banned
vpance said:
Starting difficulty anyone? Guess I'll start at Prince or whatever's in the middle.

Never got past Monarch in Civ4, but also didn't try that many times at it. The late game got boring to manage and the tech advantage they had over me was usually too much.

Second to last, which is Cheftain if they keep the same as Civ 4, I really need the first few games to have workers automatized and room to make mistakes without being anihilated; but that'll probably just be the first 3 or 4 games. I'll probably settle at Noble or Prince depending on how it goes.
Also, I just want the sheer pleasure of winning my first game. :lol

Super pumped for this, but i'm very skeptical about the balance of the Civilizations.

The French, Aztecs and Iroquois seem significantly stronger to me than the Germans, British and Americans (unless you go on a tile buying binge for the whole game).

Its hard to get a read on the other civilizations bonuses because they are more opaque in terms of their real impact, but we'll see.

Vagabundo

I first met you in college in 92.
You were so fresh, so deep, so new,
I failed that year all because of you.

We'd bumped into each other now and then,
our friendship rekindling like an old flame.
I'd try to build the full spaceship and fail again.

Obsessively we are together all the time,
me believing your gameplay is sublime,
that I will never tire of your turn-based chime,
of watching our city grow into their prime.

Until I sicken of the very sight of you,
I cannot stop, yet, I must for time has flew,
My other friends and family I cannot enshew
I must leave you now, until we meet again,

Adieu...

zugzug

oh Ghandi from Civ 2 will you drop a nuclear bomb on me again and ally with the Russians against me. Please tell me please.....

Top Bottom