• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Mael

pix said:
No mac version that I am aware of, that was dated.

ok so next year....kinda odd they couldn't pull this for Civ V and actually managed it day 1 for the Sims3 and Football Manager (of all games)

MjFrancis

HooCares said:
CIV IV is an amazing game, but it took several expansions (namely BTS), patches, and community improvements (BTS Unaltered Gameply Mod) to perfect it.
I've fortunate to have spent most of my Civ IV time in BTS. I played a good bit of vanilla Civ IV, but most of the tweaks that came with Civ IV BTS made it a much better game.

Since the series is going through a thorough reboot, I'm more than happy to jump headfirst into Civ V. There will be some bumpy game mechanics at first (it's hard to find a game that doesn't), but nothing seems game-breaking so far.

SRG01

Surprisingly, no one ever talks about the Civ IV Warlords era. :lol

Quite honestly, I'm looking to see whether they nerfed slingshoting in Civ V.

DEO3

hay guys what's going on in h

25aqe0y.jpg

raphier

Banned
I really hope I can have a diplomatic victory like in the previous games. It's really nice to have a chance to win the game without fighting any wars. Peacefully.

But that Gandhi picture just ripped my heart off. Is that real? does that happen often? It's Gandhi we're talking about. If Gandhi does that often (All aggressive ai, no personalities anymore), I can only imagine no dimplomatic victory is going to be acheived.

platypotamus said:
Diplomatic victories are in. There's even an achievement for winning a game without killing a single unit or entering into a single war.
Ofcourse it is. But I am largelly talking about the AI here.

My worst fear is that a more aggressive AI is incorporated to make the game more "insteresting" who constantly just wants to kill you like in every single rts game.
I am talking about things like historic personalities, like for examble rulers like Gandhi should have diplomatic goals and should engage in wars very rarely.

raphier said:
I really hope I can have a diplomatic victory like in the previous games. It's really nice to have a chance to win the game withotu fighting any wars, peacefully.

Diplomatic victories are in. There's even an achievement for winning a game without killing a single unit or entering into a single war.

CzarTim

raphier said:
But that Gandhi picture just ripped my heart off. Is that real? does that happen often? It's Gandhi we're talking about. If Gandhi does that often (All aggressive ai, no personalities anymore), I can only imagine no dimplomatic victory is going to be acheived.
It's kind of an inside joke with Civ games. Gandhi is the most aggressive leader in the game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
raphier said:
But that Ghandi picture just ripped my heart off. Is that real? does that happen often? It's Ghandi we're talking about. If ghandi does that often, I can only imagine no dimplomatic victory is going to be acheived.
Gandhi's always been like that from the first game. :lol

jrcpig.png

raphier

Banned
czartim said:
It's kind of an inside joke with Civ games. Gandhi is the most aggressive leader in the game.
No way! He was the most diplomatic ruler in my Civ IV ! :(

I have to be honest when I say I like Civilization for a chance not to fight any wars. I really loved to win the game just by diplomacy, culture and religion, hope that hasn't changed, but it looks V's taken a turn-around with remade combat, so...

dream

HEY!

Keys are up on D2D! Check your account if you've preordered it and you can plug the key into Steam and preload!

XiaNaphryz

raphier said:

I have to be honest when I say I like Civilization for a chance not to fight any wars. I really loved to win the game just by diplomacy, culture and religion, hope that hasn't changed, but it looks V's taken a turn-around with remade combat, so...
What? All the non-combat victory conditions are still in. As I mentioned earlier, the lead designer has often played games where he has a civ with just three cities and still does really well. If anything, it sounds like Civ V will make it easier to win with non-combat methods since internal growth seems to do just as well as territory expansion. Overhauling the combat engine doesn't mean the other stuff goes away.

I guess I'll add the victory conditions to the OP. I've also added the awesome Gandhi shot to the OP.

Rad-

raphier said:

He always declares wars against me. :lol Brings his friends too. :(

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Because of bullshit on Capcom's part regarding DR2 and it's DLC episodes not showing up on PC, I'll be spending that money on this at day 1. :D

XiaNaphryz

raphier said:
I really loved to win the game just by diplomacy, culture and religion, hope that hasn't changed
OP updated with Victory Conditions.

1qookn.jpg

* Domination: Victory now only requires capture of all of the other civilizations' original capitals. Capture of an enemy capital does not eliminate a civilization from the game, as a different city will be designated as a new capital. However, the original capital is the one that's necessary for Domination victory - a civilization cannot achieve Domination if it is not in possession of its original capital.
* Culture: Victory requires construction of the Utopia Project, unlocked by filling 5 of 10 Social Policy trees purchased with Culture.
* Science Victory: Win the Space race by building a starship to launch towards Alpha Centauri. Each starship module produced must be transported to the Capital, allowing for other civs to intercept them.
* Diplomatic Victory: Win the United Nations vote. All civilizations and city-states now have only 1 vote. There is a progress screen that actually tracks the number of votes you have, so triggering an election can now be a reliable means of winning the game.
* Time Victory: Have the highest score at 2050 AD.

Sblargh

Banned
Ghandi is not the *most* aggressive leader, that is always
fucking
Montezuma.
The "inside joke" about Ghandi is that at least once in a game where he is normally peaceful he will do an unexpected sneak attack.

Cday

Banned
Couple of leaders I've never had problems with are Ghandi and Ragnar. But fuck if Suryavarman II isn't plotting against me from the get go.

XiaNaphryz

KaYotiX said:
I usually try and make peace with Ghandi but if he refuses I always take him out first lol
Bad move, as that means Montezuma will invade while you're busy with that. ;)

Always wipe out the Aztecs first, as early as possible. You will regret it later on unless you can sic them on someone else for most of the game.

Sblargh

Banned
Yeah, I hope Aztec irrationality is a little better in this game, just yesterday, I started a game of Civ 4 and was on an island with Montezuma. It was like "great, I only have contact with one civilization that I know for sure it will try to destroy me".
...and the fucker succeded.

SRG01

Sblargh said:
Yeah, I hope Aztec irrationality is a little better in this game, just yesterday, I started a game of Civ 4 and was on an island with Montezuma. It was like "great, I only have contact with one civilization that I know for sure it will try to destroy me".
...and the fucker succeded.

I usually restart if I find myself right beside Monty at the beginning of the game. It's better than ragequitting half way through the game...

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The Civ games have convinced me that Montezuma is the biggest asshole in the history of humanity.

Sober

XiaNaphryz said:
OP updated with Victory Conditions.
Dunno if this is as "sky is falling" as people on the CivFanatics forums make it out to be but, capitals (i.e. the first city a civ founds) and city states cannot be razed, for obvious reasons for the victory conditions. Dunno if that needs to be noted.

dream

Sober said:
Dunno if this is as "sky is falling" as people on the CivFanatics forums make it out to be but, capitals (i.e. the first city a civ founds) and city states cannot be razed, for obvious reasons for the victory conditions. Dunno if that needs to be noted.

Is that really so bad? When would you not want to keep a captured capital?

JoeMartin

Spire said:
The Civ games have convinced me that Montezuma is the biggest asshole in the history of humanity.

And that Sitting Bull is the biggest pushover in history.

Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen the ai ever do anything other than get shit on with that civ.

Hari Seldon

I read or heard somewhere that they make the civs so that they can "vary" in personality. So like Ghandi is a more peaceful civ but there is still some randomness in every game if he is more or less peaceful than usual.

XiaNaphryz

Hari Seldon said:
I read or heard somewhere that they make the civs so that they can "vary" in personality. So like Ghandi is a more peaceful civ but there is still some randomness in every game if he is more or less peaceful than usual.
It's in the OP, perhaps that's where you read it? ;)

Forkball

Yeah Montezuma is a jerk. I was playing an Earth map game with Japan, and after I conquered most of Asia and was moving into Europe, fucking Montezuma declares war on me. What the hell, I barely even talked to you and you're halfway around the world in America. He sent over a few ships that I swatted down, so instead of going into Europe I decided to just whomp him. Little did I know he more or less conquered all of North and South America so his empire was just as big as mine. I nuked him a few times but his empire was just too big and he didn't care at all that I turned a significant portion of his population into radioactive mutants. Eventually the game crashed every time I loaded that file because our armies were too massive. Good times.

Also Catherine is a certified bitch. She is always just looking to start something. I'm actually a little angry she's back in the game. And where is Genghis Khan? He was a really fun leader to play as if you wanted to focus on military conquest.

Vagabundo

I'm pretty Xenophobic. I find it difficult to get along with others. Especially if they are on my land*. I hold a grudge for a a long time; hundreds and sometimes thousands of years. I am militaristic and expansionistic. If Borg was an option then I am Borg...

I love Civ as it plays to the petty tyrant in me. I'm only 5'4 inches tall and Napoleon is my Role Model.

*The whole land mass/continent that I start on i consider mine.

Sblargh

Banned
I suppose general strategy will be to have most cities as puppet states and when happiness allow, anex them.
I think we will see very little razing going on, unless, of course, you want to destroy a city you know it will be re-captured.

But preventing to raze the capital seems to be there for this exactly reason, you no longer need to decimate his empire to win the game, you just have to conquer this one city. So work for it.

pix

Vagabundo said:
I'm pretty Xenophobic. I find it difficult to get along with other. Especially if they are on my land*. I hold a grudge for a a long time; hundreds and sometimes thousands of years. I am militaristic and expressionistic. If Borg was an option then I am Borg...

I love Civ as it plays to the petty tyrant in me. I'm only 5'4 inches tall and Napoleon is my Role Model.

:lol

Cday

Banned
Sober said:

The drama that CF presents over every little thing should only be taken as something to point and laugh at.

WillyFive

Vagabundo said:
I'm pretty Xenophobic. I find it difficult to get along with others. Especially if they are on my land*. I hold a grudge for a a long time; hundreds and sometimes thousands of years. I am militaristic and expansionistic. If Borg was an option then I am Borg...

Wonderful.

antonz

Vagabundo said:

lol this is how I pretty much play. I always set it up so there is lots of continents so I can get my own. Someone lans on my shores and I am not very happy. Even worse if they think they can setup a city on my Continent

To play your game, you will need to enter the activation key below into your steam account. Preload will unlock on 10am EDT on 9/21 for North America and 12:01 GMT on 9/24 for UK and EU.

Delayed territorial release for a DD game is straight up fucking bullshit.

I predict complaining from people who buy retail and cannot play too.

I hope at least the demo thats out on the 21st is region free.

CzarTim

Vagabundo said:

Posts like this is why I fucking love this series. Every game is a story within itself. :lol

XiaNaphryz

Cday said:
The drama that CF presents over every little thing should only be taken as something to point and laugh at.
The strong anti-Steam sentiment several people have over there is baffling to me. People are seriously not wanting to play this game solely because you have to launch it from Steam? :lol

CzarTim

XiaNaphryz said:
The strong anti-Steam sentiment several people have over there is baffling to me. :lol
It was the same here on GAF. Some people refusing to buy the game because of it. smh.

JoeMartin said:
And that Sitting Bull is the biggest pushover in history.

Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen the ai ever do anything other than get shit on with that civ.
He can be a bitch to invade on a highland map, but then again, so can Brennus. But yeah. it does seem like other AI:s like to gang up on him with trade embargos and such. It's probably a tie between him, Mansa Munsa and Wan Kong for most hated (non-warmongering) civ amongst AI:s.

XiaNaphryz

Looks like a lot of the achievements listed were unconfirmed when originally posted, I've taken them off for.

Top Bottom