• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Hari Seldon

Jasconius said:
Later, once you have all the multipliers in your cities, it's not as good, but I'm interested in trying this again as Siam for the culture multiplier for city-states. I think it would work really well.

Yeah Siam is a good Civ to try a 1 city culture victory.

Deku

Banned
Spl1nter said:
The diplomacy needs major changes which can not be addressed by a patch unless the patch is a mini expansion. The number of areas for AI improvement is substantial as well. From unit placement, to city production choice.

Yeah, diplomacy is a huge step back. AI seems skittish and lacks the dynamism found in the cutthroat Civ3 AI.

I still to this day love love Civ3s sandlot AI. Really wish Firaxis would grow some balls and really come out swinging with a sandlot model, where the AIs act like dogs and plot and scheme.

The only thing Cvi3's AI was missing was a kind of internalized 'memory' and a 'cache' for its plots. Because the Civ3 AI, collectively are an insidious bunch and would sell out anyone which makes for epic pangea games, but they often can't remember what they did the last turn.

That's from a 10 year old AI, I'm sure they could have improved it by now.

Still going to give Civ V a lot of changes, Civ4 wasn't perfected until BTS, after a lucklustre Vanilla verison which was overly tedious. And Civ3 itself didn't get better until after Conquests.

Civ V needs interesting dilplomacy, and a faster pace. After Civ4, 5 feels like it's going in slow motion. Workers take too long to do what they need to do.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Won a space victory last night on King and the AI did almost nothing to stop me. Think I'll hold off on playing anymore until the game gets a few updates :(

zoku88

Ysiadmihi said:
Won a space victory last night on King and the AI did almost nothing to stop me. Think I'll hold off on playing anymore until the game gets a few updates :(
Steam just finished downloading something from Civ V. Anyone know the changes (if there are any?)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Patch 1.0.20

• Modding - Installer and permissions fixes. Should address any remaining mod download and install issues.
  • Full screen crash fix. Game will now restart in Windowed mode if it cannot find a suitable full-screen resolution on first start.
  • Hall of Fame now records data correctly when using a Windows username with special characters.
  • Deal expiration fixes.
  • Fix for Puppet State production exploit.
  • Misc crash fixes.

jonnyp

XiaNaphryz said:
The game takes advantage of multiple cores. If anything will improve performance, it's not really faster clock speeds or read times that will help, it's more efficient cores. They're not kidding when they recommend a quad-core or higher, I believe the engine scales up to take advantage of 8 at least.

Yeah but I don't understand that the game is that computationally intensive, to me it seems poorly optimized or as someone else suggested that there might be a memory leak.

Najaf

Sober said:
Also no Civilopedia from the main menu so I just have a save on a duel map with 0 cite states if I want to get some reading done :lol.

This is one of my biggest gripes with the game. How could they not put this up on the main menu, or at least bury it in the tutorial menu.

Najaf

Don't know if this has been posted.

To turn off the intro movie:

My Documents\My Games\ Sid Meier’s Civilization 5
open UserSettings.ini
Change value of SkipIntroVideo from 0 to 1.

It just shows a black screen while the game loads.

PoweredBySoy said:
What are Pacts of Cooperation and Pacts of Secrecy?? The Civilopedia has nothing on these and I have no idea what they do.

These are trying to mimic what happens in MP where two players will intentionally (and secretively) join forces during periods of the game. They will not trade resources to a certain player or enter research agreements potentially crippling them by limiting their happiness resources. If an AI has a pact of cooperation with you they will be more likely to trade resources, allow open borders, and engage in research pacts. They will also be more willing to go to war with a civ you are fighting if you ask them to.

Well I have nearly completed a domination victory as Arabia (renamed to Iran, led by Ahmadinejad). I built the Statue of Liberty in Bahgdad for fun, totally conqered the Americas, 80% of Asia, 50% of Africa, and 90% of Europe. This is on Warlord difficulty. Mostly I am only continuing to play just so I can see all the military units in action.

I wish there were more diplomacy options in the game (yeah yeah).

It seems that there should be a way to prevent the whole spearmen vs tanks debacle from even occuring (I'm not talking about tanks losing to spearmen, I'm talking about tanks fighting spearmen in the first place). I know I am only on warlord difficulty but when India still has swordsmen and I am rolling across the continent in my tanks/artillery/infantry wall of death something is just out of place.

I'm thinking that you should be only allowed to tech up so far in a technology branch before each additional research starts giving free technologies to the other civs. This would actually be more realistic. Look at todays world where America has Tanks/Satellites/Drones/Nukes/ Etc and is stuck fighting in the Middle East.

The terrorists there aren't using spears and while they might not have tanks/drones/satellites they do have modern small arms (rifles, grenades, RPGs) and make good use of other technologies (computers, cell-phones, etc). None of that tech was ever really developed by them, but it was impossible to keep it out of their hands.

Also, city-states should be able to leech some of this from you as well, I'm not sure how city-states work mechanically, but it seems wierd they "gift" me artillery and infantry units when they still have spearmen in the 1950s.

City-states also aren't agressive enough. I was allied with Sidon the whole game, at first I was pleased when it helped me attack the Ottomans (which were right next to it). Afterwards it did NOTHING the entire game aside from grant me a few random units. Even when India declared war on it...it did nothing. It didn't even make more crappy spearmen, it just sat there. Luckily India couldn't get to it because I was in the way.

Shambles

Lyphen said:
Patch 1.0.20

• Modding - Installer and permissions fixes. Should address any remaining mod download and install issues.
  • Full screen crash fix. Game will now restart in Windowed mode if it cannot find a suitable full-screen resolution on first start.
  • Hall of Fame now records data correctly when using a Windows username with special characters.
  • Deal expiration fixes.
  • Misc crash fixes.

Ugh they haven't fixed the lack of clock. Why are clocks so confusing for everyone nowadays.

Najaf said:
When I go to the mod menu, there is nothing in it. Is this the case for anyone else?

Theres a list of mods online (I don't have access to the game so I cant walk through the menus from memory), but basically you have to download the mod from the in-game list, put a check next to it from the mods list, then start a new single-player game using that mod.

Some of the mods also require you to hit a button called something like "use scenario settings" or something to that effect, the button was kind of non-obvious and hard to find but its there.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Unhappiness is horrible.

I was about to finish 3 court houses for my wonderful gold farms, but then VERY UNHAPPY, NO PRODUCTION, NO MILITARY, NO GOLD.

:[

moojito

Rawr, 100 move demo limit + rum = £60 spent on civ 5 from steam and 2gb of ram to try and speed it up a bit!

Credit cards really should come with breathalysers.

Shambles

Sblargh said:
There's a clock mod, isn't it? It's one of firaxis' mod examples.

While that fixes my problem there is no reason the clock should be a 'mod', this is a step backwards.

I would probably become a more happy person if I wasn't so nit picky

moojito said:
Rawr, 100 move demo limit + rum = £60 spent on civ 5 from steam and 2gb of ram to try and speed it up a bit!

Credit cards really should come with breathalysers.

:lol

I'm getting sucked into the Civ hype. I've never played Civilization but all the praise the game is getting has me very interested. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the fact that I already have too many games to play and not enough time to play them.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Felix Lighter said:
I'm getting sucked into the Civ hype. I've never played Civilization but all the praise the game is getting has me very interested. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the fact that I already have too many games to play and not enough time to play them.
But Civ is turned based, so you can play a bit, then go play something else and come back and resume Civ later! ;)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
XiaNaphryz said:
But Civ is turned based, so you can play a bit, then go play something else and come back and resume Civ later! ;)

But he'll be so addicted to Civ that he won't want to play another game.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Zero Hero said:
I'm more interested in the lack of using a custom music folder.

When I notice missing options like this I can't help but feel that so much stuff was cut in Civ 5 so they can mod it into Civ Rev 2 easier :(

Najaf

I know many of the balance issues will be addressed in patches as Firaxis sorts out priorities but I just had to mention my beloved Ottomans. The Janissaries were a force to be reckoned with and the empire essentially took the place of Rome as the most powerful civilization on Earth for hundreds of years. And what do the mighty Ottomans get as an exclusive trait that reflects their culture? A fifty percent chance of having a barbarian ship join them upon defeat and earning 25 gold. Wow. Compare that to the traits of Alexander or the Japanese and it is just laughable. As it stands, certain civilizations are just obsolete when going into multiplayer and those same civs are likely to be ignored in single player as well. Bring on those patches!

Yeah, I'm also disappointed in the special traits of many of the civilizations. Only a handful are appealing. Civ Rev did a better job making the civs feel varied.

Najaf said:
I know many of the balance issues will be addressed in patches as Firaxis sorts out priorities but I just had to mention my beloved Ottomans. The Janissaries were a force to be reckoned with and the empire essentially took the place of Rome as the most powerful civilization on Earth for hundreds of years. And what do the mighty Ottomans get as an exclusive trait that reflects their culture? A fifty percent chance of having a barbarian ship join them upon defeat and earning 25 gold. Wow. Compare that to the traits of Alexander or the Japanese and it is just laughable. As it stands, certain civilizations are just obsolete when going into multiplayer and those same civs are likely to be ignored in single player as well. Bring on those patches!

I agree, thats even worse than the Germans. At least the German ability gives them a potential head-start benefit early on.

To use the Ottoman ability you first have to research sailing, then build a ship, then sail around and around and around until you finally find one of the two barbarian triremes on the map.

Similar problem with the policy trees, since there are good policies but they are mixed in with crappy ones. On one hand its nice to have to make tough choices, on the other it sucks when you are going for a large expansionist gameplay style and thus have low culture.

Totakeke

DurielBlack said:
Similar problem with the policy trees, since there are good policies but they are mixed in with crappy ones. On one hand its nice to have to make tough choices, on the other it sucks when you are going for a large expansionist gameplay style and thus have low culture.

You don't have less culture, you have even more. It's just that the social policies are harder to implement. Makes a lot of sense actually. Maybe they should call it a Utopia Victory rather than a cultural victory which is a far more accurate description. ;p

But nothing is stopping you from accumulating culture from a large empire, then sell off all your cities except a few, then get social policies for cheap.

Just completely destroyed everyone with an army that (at it's largest) got to 4 samurais. The Japanese are beasts.

Incidentally, despite finishing the game in 200ish turns, it wasn't my highest scoring victory. I was beat out by my 400+turn Diplomatic Victory I completed with the French. So that's kind of nice.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DurielBlack said:
I agree, thats even worse than the Germans. At least the German ability gives them a potential head-start benefit early on.

To use the Ottoman ability you first have to research sailing, then build a ship, then sail around and around and around until you finally find one of the two barbarian triremes on the map.

I love Bismarck's ability. Ironing is that I literally just now wrote a message to my brother about how awesome it is to build an army of barbarians with just a couple slightly lucky warriors and then to use that army to end the game real quicklike. He's got good late-game units too.

I wonder if the Ottomans (Ottomen?) would be decent on an island map. I've used navy so little (same with the AIs) even on continent maps, but maybe islands would force the issue.

platypotamus said:
I wonder if the Ottomans (Ottomen?) would be decent on an island map. I've used navy so little (same with the AIs) even on continent maps, but maybe islands would force the issue.

Not really, I started a islands game playing as america.

A couple hundred turns in, and I have seen exactly two barbarian triremes.

...Although I suppose beating 2 of those would give you 2 extra naval units that you can upgrade later if you keep them alive. Also make exploration quicker. Still not sure it would outweigh any of the other benefits.

On another note, how is everyone else doing on getting the AI to be co-operative in diplomacy? I have a really tough time of it. Seems they only ever want to demand things I can't deliver on. I form pacts of secrecy against someone, and the person I am in the pact with will never agree to declare war on them no matter how much I try to bribe them. Also, when trying to trade for luxuries they always want outrageous deals, like cotton+silk+silver+whales+500gold for 1 Incense.

Basically, whats the most effective way of bribing them to start doing what you want?

Zeliard

DrForester said:
Bah, i went and conquered another civilization without knowing you can't buy courthouses. Or pay to speed them up

Wait, can't you build them? I thought that was the main way to lower unhappiness in annexed cities.

Zeliard

Archie said:
You can build them, but you can't buy em.

Oops, missed that. Yeah that's unfortunate. When I conquer a city I usually like to leave them as a puppet for some time so they can back on their feet, then by the time I annex them their production energy is usually back to decent levels.

jonnyp

Lyphen said:
Patch 1.0.20

• Deal expiration fixes.
  • Misc crash fixes.

The game is unplayable for me still. There's a bug which adds junk to save game files, making them grow rapidly in size - which has been confirmed by other players and admitted by a Fireaxis employee. Some of my save games are approaching 20+ MB in size. However, I still don't get why the hell it can take up to 2 mins to load a game with one of the fastest SSDs on the market though?!?

But they especially need to focus on the end of turn times which are downright shocking and there's no way in hell the game is that computationally complex to justify the time it uses - especially since CPU load is nowhere near 100%...

Did any of their employees even play the game after turn 100 of this game? How can this stuff be missed? I'm starting to understand why they cut 20 jobs the other day because someone clearly weren't doing their jobs...

Top Bottom