• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

pix

Can finally preload this game today, since my monthly cap just refreshed.

(I can still go over my cap but I don't feel like paying extra $$)

eznark

Banned
Looking to preorder to get one of the "bonus" Civs. Are any stores doing the "$20 gift card with pre-order" deal that some places do on big releases? (I'm in the US).

pix

eznark said:
Looking to preorder to get one of the "bonus" Civs. Are any stores doing the "$20 gift card with pre-order" deal that some places do on big releases? (I'm in the US).

Not for physical copies that I know of. you missed the Direct2Drive promo that could of saved you $10 on the deluxe version. You can still save $5 by using PAX promo code though, i think.

eznark

Banned
May as well. Probably going to go with GameStop and get the Mediterranean Map pack. I figure they'll release everything eventually though so it's probably not a huge deal....right?

pix

eznark said:
May as well. Probably going to go with GameStop and get the Mediterranean Map pack. I figure they'll release everything eventually though so it's probably not a huge deal....right?

Yeah I cant see why they wouldn't release them all at some point. I'm sure it won't be right away but it's not a big deal.

pix

Not sure but I am assuming they are premade maps of different parts of the world during different era's. The Americas mappack with probably be shaped like North/south america and use that tileset, etc.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
pix said:
Not sure but I am assuming they are premade maps of different parts of the world during different era's. The Americas mappack with probably be shaped like North/south america and use that tileset, etc.
Pretty much, they focus on one area and try to be as accurate as possible in terms of rivers, terrain features, etc.

2hdd768.jpg

2gub79h.jpg

Hari Seldon

Map packs are cool. People will make their own but I am betting the Pro ones will be pretty top notch. I'll end up buying every bit of dlc for this game. Think about it, if you buy 1 map for like $5 (not saying it will be that price) and play a normal length game you just got 20 hours of content for $5. :lol

Gozan

Sweet, I have 9 days off starting the 24th!

Also, screw map packs, discovering the lay of the land is half a third of the fun.

winnarps

How does multiplayer work for Civ games?

I think a bunch of my friends are all picking up this game, so I didn't know if there was an asynchronous turns option or if everyone had to be connected at the same time to keep a game going?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Sblargh said:
I wonder how much DLC civs will cost.

3 dollars a civ??
How much are you willing to go for Isabella?

I'll go all the way for that sultry minx, just look at how they dolled up Catherine.

Actually on second thought screw Spain. She was always the biggest whore in every game I played. Isabella was always particularly uncooperative if I didnt have the same religion as her, yet even if I did she still held out and wouldnt give up the goods even with like a +9 relationship and no negatives. I dont need a tech-tease like that again.

XiaNaphryz

winnarps said:

I think a bunch of my friends are all picking up this game, so I didn't know if there was an asynchronous turns option or if everyone had to be connected at the same time to keep a game going?
It sounds like at launch only regular online games will be an option, so you'll all have to me connected at the same time. You can choose to change game length, simultaneous turns, etc to speed things up. Supposedly they'll add support later on for Pitboss/PBEM.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sblargh said:
This makes me think -- it would be cool if they auctioned off the leaders and there was a limited amount (like 1000). And they somehow prevented hacking of course so it really was just those 1000 people that could play with those Civs. Would add an interesting ebay-type element to the business model.

XiaNaphryz

Sblargh said:
I wonder how much DLC civs will cost.

3 dollars a civ??
Wouldn't be surprised to see a "classic" pack or some sort. Something like Spain, Mongols, and Zulu.

Hari Seldon

winnarps said:

Multiplayer for Civ is extremely fun.

Basically how it works in Civ IV (I never did the pitboss mode) is that everyone takes their turn at the same time and then it waits for everyone to finish before letting the AI move. However this is when we do a comp-stomp vs the AI where we are all on the same team. I'm not sure how it is different with pitboss or with multiple human teams.

But Civ multi is extremely fun even against the AI. It is very relaxing to play with friends and drink beer and BS over skype. It is almost like a board game where the game doesn't get in the way of goofing off.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hari Seldon said:
But Civ multi is extremely fun even against the AI. It is very relaxing to play with friends and drink beer and BS over skype. It is almost like a board game where the game doesn't get in the way of goofing off.
This. I've played with my brother and friends on higher difficulties where we don't form teams expressly but mostly try to cheese the CPU. The games take less time than you'd expect, but then again we're not all completely micromanaging so I'm sure that helps. Usually finish a game or two or three separate sessions because we play a few hours at a time at most.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm still confused as to what paid map packs add that the mod community won't be able to provide in a matter of days. DLC Civs with fully voiced leaders and professional orchestrations as background music on the other hand I can see a benefit to.

Sblargh

Banned
I don't see myself ever paying for a map pack.
I think the extra 10 dollars for Babylon and soundtrack were worth it and I'll probably bite a lot os 3 to 5 dollars DLC civs (if it is 3, I'll probably buy everything they throw at me; if it is 5, it has to be a civ I actually like), but yeah, I don't really see the appeal of map packs.

pix

Monroeski said:
Wait, they took out religion?

That sucks.

IIRC they took it out because it had to much of an impact on diplomacy. City states are a better solution I think. Can't wait.

Sblargh

Banned
pix said:
IIRC they took it out because it had to much of an impact on diplomacy. City states are a better solution I think. Can't wait.

I like city-states because it puts me on the same page as the AI.

In civ 4 is like "I'm buddhist and you're not, lol, whatever" and he is like "I'LLMUDERYOUINFIDELGAAHR"

Not on civ 5, I believe, it will be "that city-state is his ally, I have to take it out" and he will be thinking the same about my city-states; you can roleplay an ideological reason for warring over a city-state or you can just think that it makes game-sense to protect this ally who is giving you a vote on the UN/culture/food/units.

sangreal

Vagabundo said:
P4's are just pimped up PIII's anyway.

The P4 architecture (NetBurst) was quite different from the PIII. Perhaps you are confusing it with the Pentium M which was based on the PIII's architecture (P6)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mediterranean was the steam bonus right?

Looks nice. But it's not going to be much of a bonus when nearly everyone else has it too :lol

f0rk

Halycon said:
Mediterranean was the steam bonus right?

Looks nice. But it's not going to be much of a bonus when nearly everyone else has it too :lol

Mine is Mesopotamia (where the fuck is that), don't know if it's different across regions.

XiaNaphryz

f0rk said:
Mine is Mesopotamia (where the fuck is that), don't know if it's different across regions.
Usually refers to the Middle East region back in the Fertile Crescent time when it was actually full of forests and not desert.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh right, well, hanging gardens here I come!

XiaNaphryz

Civilization V is socially responsible:

Publisher 2K explains because of the game's theme and also strong following, they want to and can afford to consider other factors besides profits when releasing it.

For starters, $250,000 will be donated to four education-based charities, as decided by the customer upon installation. Says quite a bit about their expected profits, no?

Then there's the box, made of recycled paper and 30% post-consumer waste and UV and soy-based inks versus the standard solvent ones.
The box itself -- called the Bio Box (would be a good fit for BioShock Infinite)-- is recyclable. Of course, if you purchase digitally, you're already doing tons of good.

While that's all swell, what benefits the gamer as well as the environment is the manual: it's digital this time around (apart from the included quick-start manual), which may be disappointing to some fans, but wait just a minute! 2K is taking advantage of the medium, making it interactive so clicking on page numbers will take you straight to them and hovering over thumbnails will make them bigger. But best of all, they're going to be updating it as time goes on and patches are released.
Still would prefer a full manual. Hell, I'd pay extra for that and a hardcover civilopedia. :)

Forkball

Then there's the box, made of recycled paper and 30% post-consumer waste and UV and soy-based inks versus the standard solvent ones. The box itself -- called the Bio Box (would be a good fit for BioShock Infinite)-- is recyclable. Of course, if you purchase digitally, you're already doing tons of good.
PC games still come in boxes?

Top Bottom