• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

supergiz

Seems like the game and I have a different definition of continents. Across the river is not being on another continent wtf

Maybe that's why Roosevelt kept trying to kill me.

Dude I was thinking exactly the same thing. Started a game on continents and I'm like, where the hell are the oceans separating thse?

Can you shut off AI personalities? I seem to remember there being an option for that in Civ V (I could be wrong), but I could imagine getting bored with the AI if you always generally know how they'll react.

Also, any solid deals out there? GMG's price has actually gone up since launch.

Anno

How to repair pillaged hexes?

If it's a tile improvement just move a builder there and repair it. Doesn't use a charge. If it's a district then you'll need to rebuild it from the city production menu for some portion of the normal cost.

Zyae

Can you shut off AI personalities? I seem to remember there being an option for that in Civ V (I could be wrong), but I could imagine getting bored with the AI if you always generally know how they'll react.

Along with their preset agendas they have random ones each game

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

That was only added in Civ V via expansion iirc

AI have one obvious agenda/behavior and one random agenda

The thing about Barbarians is that if they DO pick up on you, they send those ridiculous early game cavalry parties. 2 melee cavs and a ranged cav by turn 30 will generally fuck my game up.

Dude I was thinking exactly the same thing. Started a game on continents and I'm like, where the hell are the oceans separating thse?

I guess it makes sense, Europe, Asia, and Africa are all viewed as different continents despite being part of the same landmass. Ditto North and South America.

Along with their preset agendas they have random ones each game

That was only added in Civ V via expansion iirc

AI have one obvious agenda/behavior and one random agenda

I hope they bring it back. The personality idea always struck me as interesting, but I also don't love the idea of thinking, "Oh, well I'm next to X, so I better start doing Y." Then again, given that personality traits and goals aren't exactly communicated well to the player, maybe it's better if you do have an idea of what they'll do. Hard to say.

Anno

I hope they bring it back. The personality idea always struck me as interesting, but I also don't love the idea of thinking, "Oh, well I'm next to X, so I better start doing Y." Then again, given that personality traits and goals aren't exactly communicated well to the player, maybe it's better if you do have an idea of what they'll do. Hard to say.

As they get more civs and leaders into the game I actually think it will stay pretty fresh as they play off one another. Like right now if you spawn next to Spain and Kongo you're stuck with some decision making on who you're going to piss off or ally with as you almost certainly can't be very friendly with both. But yeah, I could see at least a mod coming out that removes the preset agenda and just let's the random one dictate things.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I played through the tutorial earlier. Definitely a better tutorial than Civ V. I'm looking forward to starting up a game later. Glad I decided to just grab this and shelve Civ V that I bought cheap a while back. With the added polish and bells and whistles, this is just a better game to learn the ropes of the series/genre with IMO.

Ferrio

Banned
I have no idea how districts work but I'm just rolling with it. I'm the egyptians, on prince difficulty, and mostly concentrating on trade routes (so much damn money). Doing okay so far, seems I lead the world in points. Was a little touchy for a bit when Germany got upset I was too close and decided to start shit he couldn't finish. First time I just deflected the attack and accepted him when he came grovelling back. The second time he did it I took his capital city before I accepted his peace negotiations. I thought that'd be the end of it, but nope hasn't taken long and he's already starting to poke the beehive again.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The reviews so far are insanely positive: http://opencritic.com/game/2719/sid-meiers-civilization-vi

Only complaint seems to be some AI wonkiness, but I'm sure that will get patched and improved over time.

Yep, I only have two complaints so far and they are both minor: loading times are longer, and yes some AI wonkiness. But at the same time the AI seems improved and has more personality now too, so lol.

Overall, Civ 6 seems wonderful to me and I'm loving it so far. I'll probably be un-installing Civ 5 this weekend honestly.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
sucks that you have to rely on civilopedia to get most on what the district adjacency bonuses are, though the universal rule seems to be districts beside each other = +1 bonus

Got the soundtrack loaded on my phone. I've spent the workday listening to it.

Absolutely perfect. It's taken the edge off of my day and made Friday a day worth living.

The Chinese tracks are splendid. They did an amazing job.

I did quickplay for about 30 turns last night.

Gilgamesh's capital was right next to me. He seemed so happy. He gave me gifts to be in my capital right off the bat. He was extremely appreciative of me wiping out our barbarian problem.

Then I noticed a war cart. "Oh, I'm sure its just wiping out that barbarian scout", I thought. Next turn there were three carts. "He couldn't possibly be attacking this early, could he?"

Yup. I was dead before I knew it. He doesn't mess around with war carts. Shortest game of Civ ever for me.

Anno

sucks that you have to rely on civilopedia to get most on what the district adjacency bonuses are, though the universal rule seems to be districts beside each other = +1 bonus

Aren't all of them listed on the district tool tip in the production menu? Are there some missing from that?

Mengy

Does the game keep crashing for anyone else? Had it crash when I clicked the cross in the policy menu and when I finished a wonder. Really annoying; screen just freezes..

I played for seven hours straight last night and didn't get a single crash. I didn't even get any slowdown, the game ran rock solid for me.

Ferrio

Banned
How do you cancel open border negotiations? I couldn't figure it out, and England is pissing me off by stationing stuff way too close and trying to spread their religion. I don't want to start outright war, but I don't want them doing this shit.

How do you cancel open border negotiations? I couldn't figure it out, and England is pissing me off by stationing stuff way too close and trying to spread their religion. I don't want to start outright war, but I don't want them doing this shit.

The missionaries ignore borders anyway, so canceling an Open Borders policy wouldn't do anything to stem the spread of religion.

Other than the AI being wonky (they'll definitely take another pass at it within the first month of release) I really have no complaints about this game. I'll write up some thoughts when I get some turns under my belt but so far I'm pretty thrilled.

Ahahaha Roosevelt just declared war on me, I'm America...

Warriors get a bonus against spearmen and they get Riders if they have their camp next to horses.

Might be a bug because this happened to me a couple times as well (also as America). When another Civ declared war on me I got the leader animation for both their civ and mine.

Nzyme32

I am so tired. I should not have stayed up until 3:00am.

Edit:

Is it a building? Or the city that is the seat of government? Apparently the spellings for those two things are different and I never knew that.

As I said above, the context makes no sense for that to be the case. There are plenty of other examples throughout. Just seems like they got lazy in proof reading

ACE 1991

Oh my god I can't decide if I want to get this or BF1. BF1 is probably the better bet since it's multiplayer-focused, but Civ looks great.

Nohar

So, previews are good, available reviews are good, and Neogaf hivemind's opinion of the game is good (albeit with a few objections here and there regarding some mecanics and the AI, which is either cunning and surprisingly aggressive, or unable to win a conquest game; may need to check if the AI behaves differently on some difficulty levels or if it is the same old "the AI gets bigger bonuses as the difficulty level rises" deal).

Well, "all systems are go" it seems. I will probably buy it sooner than I expected. No reason to doubt the team so far.

Imo, VI ost is even better than IV. Best in the series. Brazil theme is godlike.

I haven't heard every Civ's track and variation thereof yet, but from I've already heard, I'm willing to say that it can legitimately be argued that Civ VI has the Greatest Off All Time video game soundtrack, even if (or perhaps partly as a result because of) most of the tracks are adapted instead of being wholly original.

And beyond even video games, it could also be argued that the instrumental adaptations of usually sung classics such as Hard Times Come Again No More and Scarborough Fair are the best ever instrumental versions of these classics anywhere. Challenge yourself on this and go to YouTube or Apple Music or Spotify or wherever. Just try and find an instrumental version of Hard Times Come Again No More - and if you manage to do that, find a version that's even half as good as any of the multiple variances of that track found in any era in Civ VI. Even the Ancient Era version has two equally great variances, a banjo and then also a violin version of the track.

The only criticism I have of the music in Civ VI is when the track cuts and resumes depending on certain events, like a random leader wishing to tell you that he thinks your flower garden is pretty or something. But the music itself deserves its own thread as it just might be the benchmark of adapted soundtracks in just about any entertainment media.

munroe

Guessing you don't know much about continents. Europe, Asia and Africa are all continents yet are joined together

red731

Oh my god I can't decide if I want to get this or BF1. BF1 is probably the better bet since it's multiplayer-focused, but Civ looks great.

I just bought this off GMG and was in the same position as you, but then I saw this:
3FkPbVc.jpg

Ah, installed now. Bye bye.

Also this is second thread I posted I bought this so I am validating this purchase as fuck.

Mengy

Imo, VI ost is even better than IV. Best in the series. Brazil theme is godlike.

Yeah, the music is really, really good. I'm sitting here at work today humming the American theme to myself, lol.

Vaga

Why do these stupid barbarians camps keep popping up? Being occupied with crossbows and samurais every 3 turns is not fun ffs.

labx

Banned
Anyone is having issues with the game crashing? And how do I turn the queue for production, this game has change A LOT

Anno

How do I build a encampment district? Doing the tutorial and already build the ancient walls.

Not sure exactly how the tutorial flows so their might be some weird limitation in place, but in general you can just build it from your city any time after you've unlocked the tech. Only limitation is that it can't be adjacent to your city.

StayDead

Anyone else preorder from cdkeys and not have montezuma? I preloaded on Steam as soon as I could, but I don't have him yet.

Dylan

playing as russia and met teddy and cleopatra, cleo hated me because of my weak army and teddy was all buddy buddy, but then he declared a surprise war on me for some reason so I fought back and took his city closest to me and then he begged me to stop but I was pissed it was a surprise war so I hunkered down and took washington...

what a jerk

Curious if anyone's figured out how the diplomacy penalties are handled in this game? In Civ V, you would still get major warmongering penalties in situations where you were defending yourself or if you came to the defense of a weaker civ.

Blizzard

Banned
Anyone is having issues with the game crashing? And how do I turn the queue for production, this game has change A LOT
I played about 7 hours straight with zero crashes, but some people reported them.

There is no production queue anymore. If you switch anything out, your progress is simply saved on whatever you switched. I think this means you can effectively "pause" production of things 1 turn before they would be done, and then drop them quickly later.

Top Bottom