• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Yeah even 1080p is unplayable on my 42".

I dropped it down to 720p and it's playable but looks like garbage.

Can you post a sreenshot of that 720p? Cause its the res i (have to) play it, like in 5 too, also on a 42".

Didnt think it looked garbage and 6 seems to be much cleaner and sharper.

edit, can i run it on an athlon II x4 631, 8gbram, radeonHD6670? 5 year old rig, unfortunately.

Vex_

Banned
Wonders are physical buildings in the world, yes. They take up a tile.

Yeah, and some of them have requeriments too.

Yea I kinda like that. As long as the cpu opponents are bound by the same rules of course.

Also like how there are loose objectives that if completed, give you boosts to a particular tree (astronomy, civics, etc).

Im still early on, but so far this is way better than civ V.

I know in Civ V there was an "easy" way to change font sizes throughout the game in a file, and upping the smallest ones a few point sizes didn't totally bust the menus - maybe something like that will pop up?

Pretty bad for a game on 2016 to not have a scalable UI.

grmlin

There is an option to increase the size of the interface, but I can't click it at 1920x1200 and 3840x2400 virtual resolution does not work at all.

It blows my mind that this is still a thing in 2016. Build resizable UIs for fucks sake! It can't be that hard to add a slider or something to scale it. I remember many old title (Age of Empires I think?) that did that without problems.

Vaga

Ugh fucking hate barbarians, seems like just yesterday they barely show they presence then BAM horseman outta nowehere surrounding the borders.

Aaron D.

It blows my mind that this is still a thing in 2016. Build resizable UIs for fucks sake! It can't be that hard to add a slider or something to scale it. I remember many old title (Age of Empires I think?) that did that without problems.

I think some of it is engine-based.

Paradox's Clausewitz engine makes UI scaling impossible natively. A complaint that Crusader Kings & Europa Universalis gamers have had for years.

Tobor

I thought for sure they would have a TV UI in this since they were promoting the game with the Steam Controller.

Now I'm hearing it's unplayable at 1080p on a TV? What the fuck?

dlmoNhK.jpg

Anno

Got a question about wonder placement. If I place a wonder on top of a tile, do I lose all resources and attributes of that tile?

Yeah wonders and districts nuke the tile output. It makes city planning mean a lot more. Thank god for the map pins that help me kinda space stuff out and mark it for future uses.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I made the mistake of starting on King and got totally overwhelmed by Barbarians after like 70 turns and I was actually doing quite well Sci/Culture wise and pissed off the Civs I met who were mad I was building wonders and expanding my cities near their boarders. So I was woefully unprepared militarily and just go bogged down big time.

Restarted on Prince with no Barbarians. Districts have totally changed things. Planning on where to put them and when, it's really a lot to take in. Plus all the other changes. But I like how much there is to do and how instant many actions are now as a result. Still now at all comfortable with the UI. I'm constantly fumbling about wondering where this menu is and fighting my instincts from Civ 5.

You seem to really need to be in command of your short, mid and long term strategies much more than in past games. You have to envision early on where you are putting your districts and other improvements. As well as your Civics and Research. Eureka moments seem to be really important and can dramatically catapult you ahead.

Iron seems to be crazy uncommon. In both my games there were like 2 or 3 resources of it on the entire explored map. And in my second game I had explored most of the world since I chose an islands map and built a ton of ships and scouts. Otherwise resources seem to be crazy common. My second game on the islands I had like 3-4 of 4 or 5 resources. There was even one section along the coast that had 6 tiles all clumped together with whales, which were already really common all along the coastline.

Also in my second game I was getting a better hang of the new diplomacy and while being friends with Rome since almost the get go, the douche built his second city right next to mine and while things were pretty chill for a dozen or two turns Trajan declared war on me and had like 15 warriors swarm in on me. But I was way far advanced from him and crushed him with a couple knights and crossbowman.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I played for like 6 hours last night, stayed up until 1 AM on a work night! The game is good, I think I’ll be un-installing Civ 5 this weekend as I don’t think I could go back to it now. I love the AI so far, they certainly seem to have more personality and believable behavior, not quite so random as Civ 5 could be some times.

My only real gripe at all right now is the longer loading times, the game definitely loads slower than Civ 5 did. Once you are in game it’s a non-issue and the game plays super smooth on my 970, I think it honestly performs better than Civ 5 did. Maybe it’s time I get myself an SSD finally…

This game is going to happily be my entire weekend. I’m halfway through my first game but I already want to start over, now that I know what I know I can make better plans with my next game. Civ 6 certainly feels more strategic than previous incarnations, much more so, and I love that.

Anno

Your reputation is forever tarnished. China denounces you!

(you have more wonders than they do)

wtffff

Yeah China dude gets mad if you go wonder happy.

I hope the map lenses are easily moddable. The included ones are nice, but I think there can be a ton more of super useful views.

- Egypt plants a city next to my capital.
- The two combat units I have are near the border, they gripe about it, I promise it's nothing.
- Egypt declares war on me.
- I repel the attack, move to take that annoying city.
- I get penalized for breaking my promise about moving troops near their border.

wat

Gothos

Got a bit lucky on my first game (9 civs, Emperor, Fractal map). Basically I'm turn 70 and haven't met antoher civ yet, just 5 city states :D Got a lot of space to grow - feels like I'm cheating :p

BTW, anyone knows what Shuffle map does?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Your reputation is forever tarnished. China denounces you!

(you have more wonders than they do)

wtffff

Gynnna and the Kongo got all up in my shit because I was building wonders and didn't send missionaries to them. Ohh and then Brazil got all in a tizzy because I got a couple great people before them.

Russia was cool though, Peter was such a brown noser because I was more advanced than him.

Nzyme32

I know in Civ V there was an "easy" way to change font sizes throughout the game in a file, and upping the smallest ones a few point sizes didn't totally bust the menus - maybe something like that will pop up?

Pretty bad for a game on 2016 to not have a scalable UI.

It does have scalable UI in the settings, but it's bugged out for all resolutions apparently. Unless you want to edit the Lua files, gotta wait on Firaxis

Volodja

- The two combat units I have are near the border, they gripe about it, I promise it's nothing.
- I get penalized for breaking my promise about moving troops near their border.

wat
There are some things that need to be addressed for sure.
Like you are friendly with a civ and they just declare war on you.
War being declared by civs that you haven't even met so you stay at war for centuries and just have to peace out when you meet.
Some stupid shit about promises and such like the ones you described, like civs whining that you settle too close to them after they settled a city 3 tiles from your capital, as if you have a choice.
Agendas can also make Diplomacy a pretty silly affair. LIke a civ that likes strong militaries and is paranoid.

grmlin

I think some of it is engine-based.

Paradox's Clausewitz engine makes UI scaling impossible natively. A complaint that Crusader Kings & Europa Universalis gamers have had for years.

well, I don't care. We live in a world of 4k, resolution has nothing to do with screen size anymore. It should be not an option to build something that does not scale to high res screens.

It does have scalable UI in the settings, but it's bugged out for all resolutions apparently. Unless you want to edit the Lua files, gotta wait on Firaxis

Ah, so maybe all will be fine later when they patch their settings. Weird that a bug of something that essential slips into the release. Its only a checkbox though, at least that what it looks like. Maybe it doubles the UI or something.

wat
I'm having a problem with Greece. She is pissed off at me for having my army inside my own borders. I broke a promise because i didn't move them.

What's the Gandhi Atom bomb meme? Does the Gandhi AI usually go nuclear or something?

yeah Ghandi is incredibly agressive and it's very ironic and once it got nukes he doesn't mess around and use them.

I think the story is that he was supposed to be at the lowest agressivity setting in the game but the dev set him at 0 on a 1 to 10 scale so the game set him at 10 or something.

What's the Gandhi Atom bomb meme? Does the Gandhi AI usually go nuclear or something?
Back in Civ 1 Gandhi had the lowest value for going into war, however when you got to the nuclear age, that value got globally lowered for all Civs to resemble MAD. In Gandhi's case with his already low number though that meant he went into negative value which caused him to nuke everything, this was later patched but the meme remained.

grmlin

LOL.

Well alrighty then.

:D

Don't get me wrong, I'm a developer myself and I know that I might be unfair here, especially if its all fixed with a patch and the UI scaling option. But I really think that you have to build games with scalable UIs these days.

Civ 5 did this in the mac client, everything was scaled nicely (while looking rough because of low res textures). Civ 6 should be able to do that, too.

Got Sogno di Volare playing on loop at work, waiting for my Anniversary Edition to arrive at my place.

All these good impressions got me hyped beyond
Earth
belief.

Nzyme32

Why the hell is dynamic time of day not on by default?!?!

Back in the day, there was a Bug in Civ 1. Gandhi was meant to be a pacifist - so his aggression score was set to 1 - however if you adopted Democracy, the aggression score should go down 2. For Gandhi, this caused a bug making the number jump to 255 - making him a mega aggressive arsehole.

People loved it, and it became a bit of a running joke and easter egg in the games, but in a less game breaking way. In Civ V, Gandhi is all good unless he gets nukes - then shit hits the fan. Civ VI should be no different, and of course with prior games and this no doubt, the mods will take this much further for the sake of memes.

Never forget

LuRdHkn.gif

epmode

Civ 5 did this in the mac client, everything was scaled nicely (while looking rough because of low res textures). Civ 6 should be able to do that, too.

Yeah, the thing that annoys me about the lack of scaling at 1440p is that it already worked so well in Civ 5. It seems unthinkable for a company to go backwards in that respect when monitors over 1080p are becoming more common every year.

So I'm hoping the option being grayed out is just a bug.

StayDead

Yeah China dude gets mad if you go wonder happy.

I hope the map lenses are easily moddable. The included ones are nice, but I think there can be a ton more of super useful views.

Pedro of Brazil gets super salty if you have more Great People than him.

So I heard from early impressions that this game bucked the trend of Civ where the vanilla release is lackluster and it's better to wait for the first expansion.

From those that have played it, is that the case here?

grmlin

So I heard from early impressions that this game bucked the trend of Civ where the vanilla release is lackluster and it's better to wait for the first expansion.

Ask me after 30h or so playtime again :)

So far I like what I see a lot. And it's a new Civ game, so I'm happy

Fucking ADORE this game so far. It's got a bitch of a learning curve compared to Civ V, but I'm climbing it. I'm really forced to change up my early game a lot now, I can't just, say, rush Faith as Egypt; if I don't find that natural wonder, going for early Stonehenge is a non option, and I'm forced to be much more flexible. It's fantastic.

Also holy shit barbarians are fucking dangerous now.

It's still early, the expansion might be so amazing that we'll look back and think the same in a years time :)

With all the Switch hype I forgot about this game, anywhere still have a decent deal going?

Anno

It has all but one of the major game play systems from Brave New World, and introduces a couple besides. So in terms of core game play it should be comparable. Obviously it lacks the tons of great mods and doesn't yet have as many Civs as 5, but I think the general consensus is that the core game can compete with where vanilla 5 with expansions is now.

Nzyme32

Well, it looks like my gtx260 won't run it :( I guess it's time to change my PC.

Kind of surprised you thought it would work. The card is far below the min spec, and I had that card back when it came out in 2008

Seriously, you can get a newer card that will run Civ for less than £20 - shit I'm even selling a GTX 560 right now if you are in the UK for £30

Top Bottom