• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Fucking China lol; they were cool and the second I built a wonder they go crazy. He stacked all his troops in my border and declared war. I won, but it was funny seeing him try to offer peace every other turn. RIP China.

Anno

How do you know how many turns remain to your city gain a new tile? Thanks.

It doesn't seem like there is one. Nor what tile it's growing towards. With how basic that is I almost wonder if they want it that way, though I can't imagine why someone would think that. So hopefully that's added in the near future.

Fucking China lol; they were cool and the second I built a wonder they go crazy. He stacked all his troops in my border and declared war. I won, but it was funny seeing him try to offer peace every other turn. RIP China.

That's how I play. I don't start shit but if you start it you will be ended.

vixlar

It doesn't seem like there is one. Nor what tile it's growing towards. With how basic that is I almost wonder if they want it that way, though I can't imagine why someone would think that. So hopefully that's added in the near future.

Oh, bad news... But thanks anyway :)

I've played Civ since I was 15 or so (now 39) and this is the best out of the box Civ game by far. Only Civ IV came close in terms of how much awesome is packed into the initial release. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the modding tools so I can start messing around with the core systems.

That being said, things need tuning. Production output feels like it lags behind everything else by quite a lot and the unit movement rules cause issues that are fussier than any iteration in the series, and double-down on CiV's issue of ranged-uber-allies.

Dylan

Jj5VbhF.png

Can your cities fire on nearby enemies? A barbarian was razing my farms but I couldn't fire at him. Is it a tech or district upgrade or something?

Tubie

Oh my god I can't decide if I want to get this or BF1. BF1 is probably the better bet since it's multiplayer-focused, but Civ looks great.

I have both and it's a real struggle right now.

I think Civ 6 will win the battle to keep my attention this weekend.

Anno

Aside from the civic card, what other ways can you increase influence to gain more envoys?

More advanced governments accrue more influence. So try to get those researched. And always try to complete quests for the free envoys if you can.

Can your cities fire on nearby enemies? A barbarian was razing my farms but I couldn't fire at him. Is it a tech or district upgrade or something?

Gotta build walls first.

red731

Una volta che avrà
spiccato il volo deciderà,
sguardo verso il ciel, sarà,
lì a casa il cuore sentirà!

Anyone also experiencing a crashing/freezing game? I have to alt+tab when it freezes and then it just quits; very annoying to have to do up to 9 turns again. Have had this happen twice in an hour now.

Totakeke

Completing city state quests grants it, I think.

Right, you gain one envoy for completing a quest. But I haven't seen other ways to increase envoy gain.

I'm playing Greece and I have one city state that increases culture from trade routes and another city state that gives one trade route per encampment. That combo is amazing and they're both shielded by my territory. But envoy gain is so slow. :(

So got my retail Civ 6 today and....wouldn't install from disc. No error given. So went to Steam, put in the key and downloaded. Now, this may not seem a problem but I had considered installing onto my laptop at work and then going on Steam to confirm etc. If I had done that I wouldn't have been able to download the 4GB as I'm tethered to my phone. An explanation from Firaxis would be nice.

1. Is there a hotseat mode?

2. Trade, is there a way to view additional details during a trade screen? Like, if someone asks, "oh hey wanna go to war with "X"?", can I see what my relationship and trade deals are with "X" before accepting or denying?

Pineapple

Is there not a way to easily track how many bonus/strategic/luxury resources I have at any given time?

In Civ V all of this would appear in the tool bar at the top, but it seems that I now have to dig through a bunch of menus to find out how much of each resource I have.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there not a way to easily track how many bonus/strategic/luxury resources I have at any given time?

In Civ V all of this would appear in the tool bar at the top, but it seems that I now have to dig through a bunch of menus to find out how much of each resource I have.
Resources are in the "View Reports" at the top, but I don't know if there's another way to see it.

1. Is there a hotseat mode?
Yes, it's in. I don't know the answer to your other question.

Fliesen

on the top, there's reports, on the bottom of the resources tab, you'll have a list of resources. Strategics being resources that unlock certain units / buildings, luxuries and bonuses being mostly "assets".

i'm having a hard time seeing which resources are being "mined" / harvested...
they should've done something with the icon, like make it colored when you're harvesting the resource, grayscale when it's untapped (or vice versa)

dude

dude
About 7 hours in now, this game is amazing. While some people were afraid the game has been simplified based on the graphics it is actually the most in depth and complicated Civ game.

There are some UI issues though. Not all of the information is presented very clearly (like wonder bonuses and such.) is there a toggle to enable the view of adjacency bonuses you see when building a district? That for example would be very useful.

Fliesen

About 7 hours in now, this game is amazing. While some people were afraid the game has been simplified based on the graphics it is actually the most in depth and complicated Civ game.

it's complex in a way that there's far less automatization. - i often played Civ V with workers set to automatic improvements (because if i wanted to play a game focussed on military conflict, i didn't wanna have to put up with the improvement micro-management as much) that's kinda gone. Blessing and a curse, imho.

dude

dude
it's complex in a way that there's far less automatization. - i often played Civ V with workers set to automatic improvements (because if i wanted to play a game focussed on military conflict, i didn't wanna have to put up with the improvement micro-management as much) that's kinda gone. Blessing and a curse, imho.

yeah, I agree. There's also twice as much information to process and the information is not always very accessible. I think it's much less new-comer friendly than Civ 5 for example. It is a blessing and curse - But coming from EU4, I mostly enjoy it.

Ferrio

Banned

I really like the worker changes. No longer just pumping out a ton and setting to automated. Make them when you need them and choose what you upgrade wisely cause of the limited uses. Cuts down on useless unit movement that gets kinda crazy late game in previous games.

The worker changes are a huge boost. It really helps deal with some longstanding issues like worker vs. work boat and the increased amount of micromanagement required as your empire expands. It's not like you are improving every tile you claim in your empire too-districts and stuff take up a lot of your land.

dude

dude
I also like the new Housing mechanics. Food was way OP in Civ5, and now there's more of a limit to city expansion that's less annoying than the Health mechanic in Civ4.

Anno

It's nice that science and food have both been kinda nerfed from Civ 5. Other outputs are more valuable now for sure.

Google

Firaxis need a spell checker.

In the tutorial Captial is spelt "Capitol" - which doesn't make sense for the context anyway when they then use "Capital" afterwards. Quite a few little errors like that around

I love the snark in this comment.

Fliesen

I really like the worker changes. No longer just pumping out a ton and setting to automated. Make them when you need them and choose what you upgrade wisely cause of the limited uses. Cuts down on useless unit movement that gets kinda crazy late game in previous games.

yeah, the fact that workers work more similarly to work boats and missionaries from Civ 5 is really nice.

I still feel like they should do something to better visualize which tiles are upgraded and which resources have been claimed.

the military seems to be streamlined a bit, too ... there's far less "generations"

dude

dude
It's nice that science and food have both been kinda nerfed from Civ 5. Other outputs are more valuable now for sure.

Gold is still pretty OP though. It's essential for so much stuff you can do, there's very little reason not to try and maximize it over other outputs.

How do I promote a unit? I have a "unit available for promotion" notification relating to a slinger but can't figure out what to do.

dude

dude
How do I promote a unit? I have a "unit available for promotion" notification relating to a slinger but can't figure out what to do.

Select the unit when it has moves available, and then you'll see it alongside the other actions (top of the panel on the bottom right.) It will finish up the unit's moves.

Anno

Gold is still pretty OP though. It's essential for so much stuff you can do, there's very little reason not to try and maximize it over other outputs.

It is quite powerful. But I think that's good as its the resource that most allows you to have an active impact on the game. I'm sure everything will be balanced around plenty in the near future though.

Ferrio

Banned

I'm trade routing with Egypt, my income is insane. I just buy stuff when I need it.

dude

dude
I'm trade routing with Egypt, my income is insane. I just buy stuff when I need it.
My next game I'm going with Egypt for sure. Scythian are quite fun, but trade bonuses seal the deal. Gold can bypass production and culture quite easily, which makes trade/gold based Civs beasts. You also have so much flexibility you wouldn't otherwise.

Nzyme32

I love the snark in this comment.

For something so close to being perfect, it sucks to see such blemishes. Here's more:

- UI scaling doesn't work
- TOD disabled by default
- Mouse map Scrolling disabled by default
- Aspect ratios not conforming to 16:9 do not correctly detect the edge of the screen for mouse map scrolling movement, but instead have the region located where it would be for 16:9 - eg on 16:10 screen.

It just seems so lazy when they go at length to put all the good things in, yet didn't check them over

My next game I'm going with Egypt for sure. Scythian are quite fun, but trade bonuses seal the deal. Gold can bypass production and culture quite easily, which makes trade/gold based Civs beasts. You also have so much flexibility you wouldn't otherwise.

Scythia turns production into gold by disbanding troops.

Haven't read through the entire thread yet, but does anyone know if I buy the base game physically from either BB or Amazon do I always have to have the disc in my system or is it a 1-time install?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Built stone henge and started my prophet there, then built a holy city in my second city which was too far away for my religion to spread and had over 1500 faith before I realised what to do with it

Thoughts on building wonders? I built like five in my game but I'm not sure if they were a benefit or not.

going to do the tutorial now to try and work out this district malarkey and what citizens do

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So I only watched about an hour of scattered footage before this. Civ 5 was my first so this is my first transition to a new Civ game. I'm having trouble parsing everything. It's like nothing is the same and I need to learn an entirely new game. Military is about the only thing that makes intrinsic sense. It's kind of fun figuring everything out again, but it's still freaking me out. I don't even really have a grasp of how luxury resources work... Maybe it's the same. But I can't tell.

So Firaxis actually delivered this time? Great, will buy when I have some money again.

Do they ever not? Or am I the only one who loves all their games even pre-DLC?

Anyways on topic. If I wanna build a natural splendor of a society is that viable? Which win path is best? Basically want my entire civ to just be this gorgeous natural utopia. Druid style.

Top Bottom