• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Best thing is going to city states icon and seeing all the quests rather clicking 1by1.

Think its a good idea to reject some leaders gifts. Seems they will attack you soon afterwards if you leave the cap undefended which i guess they know from their delegation.

Blizzard

Banned
When does it help you to accept embassies from another country? The Kongo was the only nation ahead of me in science, and I didn't have spies. Practically every 3 turns, the Kongo would give me the stupid slow animated leader popup asking, ENDLESSLY OVER AND OVER, if I want to accept an embassy.

I finally gave in and accepted it. Almost immediately, one of my most valuable technologies was stolen. Is there no way to avoid either losing your techs or being hounded to death? Do I get any benefits if I don't have spies yet?

Blizzard

Banned
I'd love an option that was just like "Here have a picture instead of animated leader portrait" cos yo that shit laggy
Yep. Time between turns doesn't seem too bad in general, but waiting for the big leader portrait and THEN a transition to another screen so I can click "go away" for the 5th time is irritating.

Even just a little popup with a "Refuse audience with X leader".

Mobius 1

Completed my first run today as Rome, and squeezed a Science Victory by 2037 under a barrage of saboteurs from Germany.

I stumbled around most of the new systems and completely overlooked religion. Time to start a longer game on a large map to be a little more deliberate.

Completed my first run today as Rome, and squeezed a Science Victory by 2037 under a barrage of saboteurs from Germany.

I stumbled around most of the new systems and completely overlooked religion. Time to start a longer game on a large map to be a little more deliberate.

I had a crazy amount of faith and was wondering why I hadn't gotten a prophet, and then realized that I had to actually create specific buildings to even have a chance at one. So that was a fail on my part.

I'm pretty shocked that every new feature/system they added is good, if not great. Once they fix the AI and pacing this game is going to be perfect.

Blizzard

Banned
This makes me sad. The animations give the leaders way more character than they've ever had. Going to war with Sumeria and Spain is barrels if fun because of their animations. So good.
I don't mind the animation, but the extra screen is annoying because of the spam.

Every 2-3 turns, you get
*possible slight pause*
*animated, possibly unskippable talking in foreign language*
*possible slight pause*
*transition to actual menu screen*
*you click a single button to deny*
*wait on animated reply*

If it didn't happen so often, or if there was variety, it might help. Or if there was an option to say "I've seen this nice animated thing, but this one leader is constantly spamming the same dialogue, block him ala Facebook."

Also, the personalities are nice but I feel there's still a bit of a disconnect with when they go to war and their lack of memory. One game, Victoria was friends with me for quite a while. Friendship level 60-70%, only 2 negative points.

Then suddenly, SURPRISE WAR, I have to kill her units attacking my city for a while. Friendship level still shows the same thing, 60-70% with only 2 negative points.

Then after she makes peace, she asks for a formal declaration of friendship later on. No mention at all of "Sorry about that stupid war", just suddenly all nice again. You guessed it, friendship level still 60-70% with only 2 negative points.

jimminy1403

Neo Member
Every 2-3 turns, you get
*possible slight pause*
*animated, possibly unskippable talking in foreign language*
*possible slight pause*
*transition to actual menu screen*
*you click a single button to deny*
*wait on animated reply*

They should have made it all a bit quicker I agree. However you can hit escape to get past the initial introduction quickly, as well as to end any interaction quickly. It's basically instant.

drawkcaB

Are you ignoring the fact that they took endless legends biggest thing (city building and districts), made it far more complicated and detailed and put it in civ 6? Civ 6 is in some ways one of the biggest changes in the entire series. Cities now work and build completely differently to any other version of civ, and the restrictions on tiles and wonders means you can't follow an identical path through the game anymore.

No, because districts/boroughs in Endless Legends aren't the same thing as in Civ VI. Boroughs have more to do with resources around the map and serve the many of purpose of border expansion and workers in Civ VI.

The only shared aspect is that you have to plan where to place boroughs for maximum effect because of how they impact leveling districts, but it's still not the same. I don't find that districts in Civ VI are a big change at all, and I certainly wouldn't call it more difficult than in Endless Legends. There's an extra layer of planning now involved, but a few games in and I can already spot where I'd like to build what particular district for best effect whereas it took me quite a few more games to learn how to plan out my cities in Endless Legend. Cities in Civ VI certainly don't work any differently just because districts are in play.

Changes that take me a few games to fully understand certainly don't count as "biggest change in the entire series" to me.

aka_bueno

Is this a good entry for a beginner?

I haven't played a Civ game in such a long time maybe like Civ 2, and it was always just casual messing around since I didn't know what I was doing then. Still enjoyed it for the little sessions I played.

These days, Civilization almost looks intimidating. As a solo experience for a newbie, is this worth it? Or do these games require a ton of planning/thought/research and/or multiplayer to get the most enjoyment out of?

Totakeke

No, because districts/boroughs in Endless Legends aren't the same thing as in Civ VI. Boroughs have more to do with resources around the map and serve the many of purpose of border expansion and workers in Civ VI.

The only shared aspect is that you have to plan where to place boroughs for maximum effect because of how they impact leveling districts, but it's still not the same. I don't find that districts in Civ VI are a big change at all, and I certainly wouldn't call it more difficult than in Endless Legends. There's an extra layer of planning now involved, but a few games in and I can already spot where I'd like to build what particular district for best effect whereas it took me quite a few more games to learn how to plan out my cities in Endless Legend. Cities in Civ VI certainly don't work any differently just because districts are in play.

Changes that take me a few games to fully understand certainly don't count as "biggest change in the entire series" to me.

Oh come on now. I like Endless Legend but district planning in Endless Legend is just figuring out your start position, knowing what tiles you want to hit, and then just picking one of these patterns.

7eYjfRI.png
6F8QGgT.png

There's far more interesting choices to make in Civ6's system. The only advantage to Endless Legend's system is that it makes less intuitive sense. Maybe that's why it took you more than a few games to learn how to plan your cities.

Mideon

I haven't played a Civ game in such a long time maybe like Civ 2, and it was always just casual messing around since I didn't know what I was doing then. Still enjoyed it for the little sessions I played.

These days, Civilization almost looks intimidating. As a solo experience for a newbie, is this worth it? Or do these games require a ton of planning/thought/research and/or multiplayer to get the most enjoyment out of?

This is my problem too. I loved Civ 2 and have not played since then. Seems so complicated.

Totakeke

This is my problem too. I loved Civ 2 and have not played since then. Seems so complicated.

Just go in playing without worrying having to know all the systems. Treat each game as a learning experience for the next. The civilopedia is the in game manual and it's a lot better than Civ5's I think. I'd like to think Civ games are pretty beginner friendly and there's only as much pressure as you want to put on yourself. The gameplay systems independently are relatively simple and straightforward, but it's how everything comes together that's less obvious but it's also the fun part.

Blizzard

Banned

The tutorial, if it doesn't bug out, holds your hand a lot and explains systems pretty well I'd say. I don't think you should have a problem.

Jintor

How the heck do I see where my trade posts already exist? I can do it on my own virus, but for city states or other players?

Pikelet

How the heck do I see where my trade posts already exist? I can do it on my own virus, but for city states or other players?

I'm pretty sure that when you are selecting a trade route, you can see a little trading post icon on any city that has it, both on the world map as well as on the list of available options in the window overlay.

_woLf

It's really, really dumb that when you lose it doesn't tell you how you lost or who even won :|

I really like the game but the AI and UI are a complete disaster overall. The mechanics make up for it, but maaaaaaaaaaan they dropped the ball there.

Pikelet

It's very interesting to see how they've balanced the wide vs. tall dichotomy in this version.

In Civ 4 it was pretty much always an advantage to have more cities. In Civ 5 the global happiness stat essentially put a hard limit on the amount of cities you could run effectively. I found the civ 5 solution to be pretty annoying.

In Civ 6 it seems they have replaced global happiness with a system that is analogous to progressive taxation. The more cities you have, the more expensive the districts become.

So far i think this system works really well in that both wide and tall empires seem viable, without having the annoying artificial cap of the global happiness system from civ 5.

Totakeke

It's very interesting to see how they've balanced the wide vs. tall dichotomy in this version.

In Civ 4 it was pretty much always an advantage to have more cities. In Civ 5 the global happiness stat essentially put a hard limit on the amount of cities you could run effectively. I found the civ 5 solution to be pretty annoying.

In Civ 6 it seems they have replaced global happiness with a system that is analogous to progressive taxation. The more cities you have, the more expensive the districts become.

So far i think this system works really well in that both wide and tall empires seem viable, without having the annoying artificial cap of the global happiness system from civ 5.

To be clear, I don't think the number of cities affect district costs, just the number of existing districts. Settlers do increase in cost as well, but this means district less cities are less of a burden on your empire.

Vex_

Banned

What a lot of people do not realize is that civ has "advisors".

These advisors (turned on by default) literally tell you what something means as it happens. Got a new thingamabob? An advisor pops up with a message and a "tell me more button" to flesh out what it means for you and your civilization.

Furthermore, there are tooltips EVERYWHERE when you highlight something. Wanna know what an icon means? Move your mouse over it. Not sure what to build? The production menu will have an advisor icon next to it for things they recommend you build FIRST after you unlock it. After you build it, the advisor may even pop up again and detail what it does.

For this reason, I always recommend players NOT do the tutorial. Ive never done it, and my first civ was 5. I imagine they just try to teach you everything at once. The thing is, in a normal game of civ, you move along a timeline. You dont start out "doing everything". I can see why players would get overwhelmed. in a real game of civ, you slowly gain new perks and abilities. Very slowly. The best way to learn imo.

If things get overwhelming, it is because you are overthinking it. The only thing you need to be worried about is "what can I do RIGHT NOW to make my civ better?" That's it. When you get better on different playthroughs, that is when you start thinking ahead more. But for now, I recommend playing "in the moment".

Tldr;

Again, dont worry about not knowing stuff, the advisor will tell you what you can do, how you can do it, and when would be a good time to do it. You can choose to ignore or accept new ideas from your advisor
. That's what makes civ great. And hey, if you get the hang of it... Turn the advisor off.

Blizzard

Banned
For this reason, I always recommend players NOT do the tutorial. Ive never done it, and my first civ was 5. I imagine they just try to teach you everything at once. The thing is, in a normal game of civ, you move along a timeline. You dont start out "doing everything". You slowly gain new perks and abilities. Very slowly. The best way to learn imo.
I see you say you've never done the tutorial. If you had, in Civ VI you would find out they most certainly do not teach you everything at once. Instead you gain new perks and abilities slowly, and specifically and slowly learn what things do. :p

Vex_

Banned
I see you say you've never done the tutorial. If you had, in Civ VI you would find out they most certainly do not teach you everything at once. Instead you gain new perks and abilities slowly, and specifically and slowly learn what things do. :p

Is it the same length as a normal game? How long is it? How many turns?

Hard to imagine a tutorial being as long as the normal game is with as much land to work with. Could be wrong tho.

My point is, they shouldnt be overwhelmed.

Blizzard

Banned
Is it the same length as a normal game? How long is it? How many turns?

Hard to imagine a tutorial being as long as the normal game is with as much land to work with. Could be wrong tho.

My point is, they shouldnt be overwhelmed.
I don't remember the exact turn count, but they speed up time to make things simpler and I think it ends in under 100 turns. They also only put you against a single opponent plus some barbarians, and after walking you through each step they turn you loose to get a domination victory by killing the capital.

I don't think certain details are covered, like religion, but I think it's decent for new players. Someone who knows Civ V could puzzle everything out but I still appreciated being walked through the new districts and builders.

Danj

Here's a question: why does it STILL cost less to buy a physical DVD that has to be stored in a warehouse and then shipped to my house than it does to buy a digital download version?

(and even then, it's still kind of expensive)

Vex_

Banned
I don't remember the exact turn count, but they speed up time to make things simpler and I think it ends in under 100 turns. They also only put you against a single opponent plus some barbarians, and after walking you through each step they turn you loose to get a domination victory by killing the capital.

I don't think certain details are covered, like religion, but I think it's decent for new players. Someone who knows Civ V could puzzle everything out but I still appreciated being walked through the new districts and builders.

Oh ok, that's pretty cool then. Good for newer players.

I'm still not 100% sure how resource collection works - thinks like coal and uranium etc. Do you need to work the tile or just unlock the relevant tech? Do you need to be working the tile?

Jintor

This makes me sad. The animations give the leaders way more character than they've ever had. Going to war with Sumeria and Spain is barrels if fun because of their animations. So good.

I like the animations but anything that speeds up time is what I crave. that shit laggy.

If it loaded instantly it would be one thing, but it doesn't

Here's a question: why does it STILL cost less to buy a physical DVD that has to be stored in a warehouse and then shipped to my house than it does to buy a digital download version?

(and even then, it's still kind of expensive)

Because games have remained at more or less the same price point for decades, while dev time and team size has massively increased. Continuing to charge $60/£50 for digital games is a smart way of increasing profits without charging consumers more than they're used to paying.

You'll still find physical games cheaper like this because you're shopping around for offers. Try shopping around for digital offers on the game and you'll get the same results (I bought Civ 6 for £36.99 digitally on CDKeys.com).

I like the animations but anything that speeds up time is what I crave. that shit laggy.

If it loaded instantly it would be one thing, but it doesn't

Loads instantly for me, can be skipped with the escape key, and leader animations can be disabled completely in the options menu. Do you definitely meet the recommended specs? If you're below, and especially if you're closer to minimum, then that might explain the lag.

Top Bottom