• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Corpekata

Banned
Windows Defender appears to be the cause of the forever loading screens. If you disable it or add the game's folder as an exception it should let you load again. Just verified it.

ViolentP

Windows Defender appears to be the cause of the forever loading screens. If you disable it or add the game's folder as an exception it should let you load again. Just verified it.

I just resolved the issue by blocking Civ6 on the firewall. That worked for me. I think anyone with the issue should try both of these options.

I've been playing since release with no issues other than the occasional crash, but after a crash earlier this afternoon my game now seems to be fucked and unplayable. I can get it to load the main menu where it seems a little funky (delayed responses when clicking on things), low fps, but when I try and start/load a game, I simply get stuck on the following screen forever - I can't alt-f4 the application, I can't switch to task manager, I just have to reboot my PC every single time:

Yeah, same boat.

- All saves cause an endless loading screen
- Starting a new game causes an endless loading screen
- Civ 6 loading is shown as "Not Responding" according to Win10 Task Manager

If you have a dual screen setup, you can hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE to launch task manager and then (assuming you can't see it because Civ 6 is in fullscreen mode) hit windows key + right arrow to move it to your other monitor. I'm having mostly the same problem (stuck on loading forever) but at least Win10 Task Manager will tell you it's not responding.

Steam's verify integrity feature shows nothing wrong, so really only option left is to delete the game and reinstall.

EDIT: Windows Defender? Figures something in Windows could fuck it up.
To whitelist:
1. Windows Defender Settings
2. Scroll down the list to "Exclusions" > Add an Exclusion
3. Add the Civ 6 folder

That seems to work...

Oh man... for the past couple of days, Defender has been using up a baffling amount of processing power. I figured it was just standard old PC fuckery, but if there's something up with Civ...

Qvoth

should you start games with a plan on which victory route in mind or is it better to just go with the flow?
i've watched the filthy robot videos, and usually somewhere around classical - medieval era i'm just not sure what to do anymore :<

they didn't literally take it out

they just decided not to put it in for the new game
maybe they'll get around to doing it eventually

It may sound silly but being able to name the cities was mine of my favourite aspects of Civ and always leads to some fun interactions in multiplayer (Such as having Indian curries and Chinese dishes competing for territory, heh).

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
It may sound silly but being able to name the cities was mine of my favourite aspects of Civ and always leads to some fun interactions in multiplayer (Such as having Indian curries and Chinese dishes competing for territory, heh).

I can get that.

I really like custom naming my religion "Science, Bitch".

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Is there a big improvement over Civ 5?

Seems much more fresh and stable at launch. I remember when Civ5 came out it felt like it was missing half of the features. This one doesn't. I've already clocked 20 hours, but by civ standards that's not review worthy. I'm only going to play a few more games as I don't have the time to play these sorts of games that I used to.

The only instability where forever loadings but as I see above that's maybe a Defender issue.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Finished my second game just a few minutes ago.

Gorgo
King
Standard Map
Epic Time

Kind of went the same way as my first game. Focused on production/gold but also started out earlier with producing Culture, especially utilizing Gorgo's special trait. Almost immediately went to war with Norway because they were too close to me. Took out their three cities, razed two, and had about 4 of my own at that point. Wasn't going to expand beyond 5 cities, but then Saladin went and settled a city right on my border between two of my cities and so I bulked up and went to war with shortly after. He was leading at that point, but I just chipped away at him for a long time. Returned two cities he had taken from England, freed a city state and took his capital. After that he surrendered and for shits and giggles I tried to get 3 of his 4 remaining cities and he gave them to me. That was unexpected, but great. His capitol had like 5 wonders.

After that Spain got froggy, but he was across the sea save for one tiny nothing city, so it wasn't much of a war. After repelling an invasion force, Conquistadors are tough, I razed the small city nearby and he settled for peace a few turns after that.

By that point I was rolling in gold, pumping out Great People every other turn it felt and had already completed the Civ tree. Loaded up on art and completed two Archaeology museums and just sat back waiting for the win. Everyone else was so far behind, there were a lot of major battles early on in the game and only 5 of the civs remained and were all pretty beat up. It was only like turn 380 something I think around the 1800s or so when the game ended.

Definitely need to go up a difficulty I think and try for a different victory. Think I'll go science next and maybe religion or conquest after that. Really enjoying things.

DEO3

Oh man, I wish I had known this like six hours ago. Ah well, time for bed and back to work tomorrow. Bummer this happened on release weekend.

Najaf

The illusive +6 campus. So excited when I found that near my start. Despite the mountains and sea side location, the city is working well.

yVxTp2L.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah, same boat.

- All saves cause an endless loading screen
- Starting a new game causes an endless loading screen
- Civ 6 loading is shown as "Not Responding" according to Win10 Task Manager

If you have a dual screen setup, you can hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE to launch task manager and then (assuming you can't see it because Civ 6 is in fullscreen mode) hit windows key + right arrow to move it to your other monitor. I'm having mostly the same problem (stuck on loading forever) but at least Win10 Task Manager will tell you it's not responding.

Steam's verify integrity feature shows nothing wrong, so really only option left is to delete the game and reinstall.

EDIT: Windows Defender? Figures something in Windows could fuck it up.
To whitelist:
1. Windows Defender Settings
2. Scroll down the list to "Exclusions" > Add an Exclusion
3. Add the Civ 6 folder

That seems to work...

Yep, putting an exclusion into Windows Defender did the trick. I wonder why it worked fine for two days but then stopped today right around 7 PM? Seems like it stopped for LOTS of people right around that time too. Very odd, but it's working good as new again, thanks!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wow, Scythia has a nice perk to go with the double light cavalry stuff.

If you're not having wars and/or have some decent production, build the Shaka Horse Archer. Then sell the spare. They easily give you 70+ Gold back.

nbraun80

Kinda new to Civ, played a bit of Civ5 but not a lot, quick question. What is the best course of action when the AI(playing on king) is starting to stack up troops outside your borders? Like they literally had a batterram outside my front door. Do you declare war and push the away or just hunker down, build troops and wait for them to declare first? Also what do I get out of having an alliance, I have 1 ally but he doesn't seem to come to my aid or anything when i'm getting sieged.

Veitsev

Kinda new to Civ, played a bit of Civ5 but not a lot, quick question. What is the best course of action when the AI(playing on king) is starting to stack up troops outside your borders? Like they literally had a batterram outside my front door. Do you declare war and push the away or just hunker down, build troops and wait for them to declare first? Also what do I get out of having an alliance, I have 1 ally but he doesn't seem to come to my aid or anything when i'm getting sieged.

The penalties for declaring war are ridiculous and need to be toned down. You are best just waiting for them to attack as its inevitable if they are acting like that. Taking the warmongering penalty yourself will poison relations with other civs for a good bit. Best course of action is to start building walls and and troops in preparation. Let them declare war and then take as many cities as you want as well as any city states they bring into the war.

As far as allies they are pretty useless right now as the AI doesn't do a good job of fighting wars. Best case scenario is their troops or their cities draw attention away from you. They aren't going to swoop in and help you in your own territory.

MGrant

20161024130716_111ytm.jpg

I wonder what Victoria has in mind here. She's smiling at me; that means we're friends, right?
No, no it doesn't.

Are you ignoring the fact that they took endless legends biggest thing (city building and districts), made it far more complicated and detailed and put it in civ 6? Civ 6 is in some ways one of the biggest changes in the entire series. Cities now work and build completely differently to any other version of civ, and the restrictions on tiles and wonders means you can't follow an identical path through the game anymore.

Sim Civvy?

Totakeke

VvRXf5n.png

Damn, I misread and thought religious victory only requires more than half of the civs to follow yours. And I thought I could totally ignore the other half of the map I've never set foot on. Have to do finish this later then.

It's funny to me that Rome had multiple barb rebellions within their territory and it's even spilling over to my cities. And also that Spain is super annoying with their apostles. I have to hide my own apostles behind my military units so they don't get picked off inside my own territory.

Religious combat is pretty fun. I like the additions to the religious system and that your apostles can get pretty interesting random promotions.

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Apostle_(Civ6)

Edit: Thinking about it, there's no way I'm going to convert Spain to Islam without going into war. How's that for historical realism eh.

spiritfox

With a few games under my belt, I think they really need to rebalance science and production numbers. Science is going too fast right now, and production gets pretty ridiculous after the first few turns. I can pretty much go through the entire tech tree before I have enough production to make whatever I need, and it's normally faster to just research the entire tech than to wait for a Eureka after the Classical era.

Fliesen

religious combat is "fun" but also super annoying if there's an enemy that has roughly 20 apostles within your borders. (even though i have no open borders with anyone...)

They "kill" your missionaries and apostles (even during times of peace), they clutter your screen with meaningless icons, they're in the way of troop movements...

Playing with two of my friends currently.

Friend A: Don't settle here, it's too close to me. Head north.
Friend B: Okay.
<10 turns later>
Friend A: What the fuck? You ignored me.
Friend B: No I listened. I settled north. 1 tile.
Yeah, he's that kind of guy
<Friend A declares war>
Friend B: ...you're not serious right?

Friend A in about 45 minutes destroys the city B made and also destroys Toronto which was the only City State that Friend B had. The war only ended after Friend B makes a religion called "PLEASE STOP KILLING ME" and they negotiate peace.

I love how Civ brings the savage out of people.

Jintor

Playing with two of my friends currently.

Friend A: Don't settle here, it's too close to me. Head north.
Friend B: Okay.
<10 turns later>
Friend A: What the fuck? You ignored me.
Friend B: No I listened. I settled north. 1 tile.
Yeah, he's that kind of guy
<Friend A declares war>
Friend B: ...you're not serious right?

Friend A in about 45 minutes destroys the city B made and also destroys Toronto which was the only City State that Friend B had. The war only ended after Friend B makes a religion called "PLEASE STOP KILLING ME" and they negotiate peace.

I love how Civ brings the savage out of people.

Is friend A an AI?

Firebrand

I wish religion mattered, diplomacy-wise. Civ 4 AI might be easy to game but it's fun to create blocs of religion. I remember converting to a state religion once just to get powerful friends.

Is there a mod to re-add Alert to the game? I want to love the 'Automatically end turn' function, but I just watched a barbarian stroll past a fortified unit and take a few chunks out of a city before I was able to regain control of my game and retaliate.

spiritfox

Err so the Arcopolis is not included in the Jesuit Education belief, which allows you to faith buy buildings in the Campus and Theatre districts. I think that's a bug.

How come when i meet a new civ they send a delegation which i accept, then i send them one and they always refuse it? This has happened every time in every game.

ISee

What's a good Civ6 YouTuber? Not annoying but still explaining some stuff while playing.
Thx in advance.

Sickbean

How is the performance relative to 5?

Waiting on the mac release, got a late 2014 Mbp with an i7, 16GB of RAM and iris pro, wondering if it will be a stutterfest??

Top Bottom