• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

z3phon

I understand the gut reaction but the article relates how competitive Civ has been around for quite a while and Firaxis obviously took a new approach to multiplayer on this one.

Not saying I'll watch but it's not any more bizarre than seeing bowling or poker on ESPN2 to me.
What are the notable changes to the multiplayer in this one? Haven't read up on any thing about multiplayer in civ 6.

I've tossed the scout opener. All I really want early game are slingers that I can upgrade into archers, an early builder so I can unlock the Craftsmanship civic boost, and a somewhat early settler so I can forward settle an AI and upgrade my slingers to archers there before I push.

I find that four-five archers and a couple of warriors can rush down AIs even on Immortal/Deity. Usually you can steal a settler and builder along the way, along with all the improved tiles you get from the captured cities.

Then I just fill in about eight cities total between me and the player I ate using the 100% settler policy from Early Empire. Build commercial districts and use them to churn out trade routes to a city that you've built up for production/food trade boosts. Get the 30% builder policy and always make sure you are working improved tiles and chop for more hammers. Move into industrial districts as soon as possible.

As long as you reliably hit Eurekas and civic boosts you don't have to invest a lot into science and culture. The game is hard-gated around production and abusing production modifiers, if your strategy is build around getting bigger cities with lots of hammers you'll be fine.

Edit: I think religion isn't really worth chasing unless your Civ is juiced for it. Just grab a good pantheon.

Sarek

Here's how I'm playing, any tips would be great!
1. I'm pretty much always accepting the start location of my settlers. Any new settlers I'll go to a suggested location, maybe 1 tile off. Generally I'll try to focus on food tiles.
2. Immediately build a scout to get bonuses for clearing tribe huts.
3. Build my second settler
4. Pick better strength against barbarians and extra production as my policies
5. Settler builds in the direction of another civ, they get angry and lined my border with troops. Then ask for open borders which I never accept.
6. I'm still working on setting up my basis and adding basic improvements, meanwhile the other civs start attacking with loads of troops.

I'm assuming I just need to start focusing harder on building up an army early, but how early (the very start?) and how long before I start trying to improve cities?

I usually do something like this:

1. Move my warrior to see bit more of the terrain.
2. Settle on spot or at most spent one turn moving the settler. If I get spawn where I feel I'd need to move more than that I just start a new game.
3. Build scout or two
4. Build a builder and settler. The order varies.
5. Couple more military units
6. Because of how happiness and luxury items work in this game I think it is good idea to try to get 4 cities as soon as possible.
7. After that I just build whatever I feel is necessary.

You can easily keep the barbarians in check with 4-5 military units. Also the AI is pretty bad in using it's forces so even later on little over dozen military units should be enough to win pretty much any war.

Lé Blade Runner;221296737 said:
What is Chess Boxing? :eek:

2 participants play 3 minutes of chess followed by 3 minutes of boxing followed by 3 minutes of chess etc. until time is up or somebody gets knocked out/checkmates.

Sadly, it turned out that getting hit in the head made it harder to play chess, so players mostly just focus on the boxing side of things nowadays.

Something I've wanted in Civ for a long time was a timer of when a barb camp will spawn a new unit. I have accepted that all these barbs are spawning horseriders w/o access to horses but I ture of losing units to them coming out of nowhere.

Kikirin

Anyone know how to initiate theological combat? Not sure if my game was bugged, but I wasn't able to do anything to an enemy apostle that was sitting in my territory for several turns, in spite of having my own inquisitor and apostle adjacent and the game showing the battle forecast. I wasn't at war with the country at the time, if it means anything.

Was kinda hoping that it'd be an option for dealing with enemy religion when at peace. If it's only available during war, then it'd be much faster to deal with them with a military unit.

2 participants play 3 minutes of chess followed by 3 minutes of boxing followed by 3 minutes of chess etc. until time is up or somebody gets knocked out/checkmates.

Sadly, it turned out that getting hit in the head made it harder to play chess, so players mostly just focus on the boxing side of things nowadays.

That sounds... Amazing. And insane.

Veitsev

Personally I have stopped building scouts. Warriors are far more affective against barbarians and can be upgraded to swordsman. Scouts aren't as useful now with how terrain affects movement. A warrior can also be camped outside of a camp and kill it by itself in about 3 turns assuming its just spearman/warrior.

Najaf

I think it's an amazing game that would be extraordinarily boring to watch as an esport

I don't know. Watching some Let's Plays with good commentary is great. Also, if it was an 8 player match, there would be enough action to always have something interesting going on. Espionage, wonder races (if they improve the wonders) and of course multi-front wars would be pretty interesting.

Zebetite

Banned
Anyone know how to initiate theological combat? Not sure if my game was bugged, but I wasn't able to do anything to an enemy apostle that was sitting in my territory for several turns, in spite of having my own inquisitor and apostle adjacent and the game showing the battle forecast. I wasn't at war with the country at the time, if it means anything.

Was kinda hoping that it'd be an option for dealing with enemy religion when at peace. If it's only available during war, then it'd be much faster to deal with them with a military unit.

I haven't messed with religion yet at all, but for what it counts I saw AI civs' religious units duking it out in my game and don't think they were at war.

I think it's an amazing game that would be extraordinarily boring to watch as an esport

Agreed.

The fun of the game is keeping track of everything in the back of your mind.

I get frustrated watching streams of the game on Twitch or Youtube because while the streamer is doing their own thing, I'm constantly wondering what else is going on with other cities or section of their map.

I keep asking to myself, "Why does he keep checking that one part when there is a bunch of stuff pinging over here? Go over there already!!!"

Totakeke

Definitely don't have to be at war, same religion maybe?

Agreed.

The fun of the game is keeping track of everything in the back of your mind.

I get frustrated watching streams of the game on Twitch or Youtube because while the streamer is doing their own thing, I'm constantly wondering what else is going on with other cities or section of their map.

I keep asking to myself, "Why does he keep checking that one part when there is a bunch of stuff pinging over here? Go over there already!!!"

Well a commentator would negate those issues... there's no observer mode is there?

Playing as Rome I have two commercial hubs and purchased a great merchant with faith that lets me get an extra trade route and a luxury resource for my capital city. It says in the UI I can make 4 but at three it says I can't build another trader because im already at capacity. Anyone else running into similar glitches?

Totakeke

Playing as Rome I have two commercial hubs and purchased a great merchant with faith that lets me get an extra trade route and a luxury resource for my capital city. It says in the UI I can make 4 but at three it says I can't build another trader because im already at capacity. Anyone else running into similar glitches?

You have another trader sleeping somewhere or one of your cities is already building one. And if you just used your great merchant maybe you need to wait next turn.

You have another trader sleeping somewhere or one of your cities is already building one. And if you just used your great merchant maybe you need to wait next turn.

Ha, it probably is I already have one building. It was around 2:00 AM last night I ran into the issue so I was probably on autopilot :p Ill check latter today.

Loving it so far. Besides the UI not always updating like it should and the fact that YOU CAN'T FREAKING SEE TURNS UNTIL BORDER GROWTH NOW it is way better than V on launch.

Yeah, I've got that. Also the last build icon in the production queue is consistently 2 or 3 builds ago. Since production takes forever in this game, I keep forgetting what the hell was just built.

It wouldn't be so annoying if it the glitch wasn't affecting my capital. I was wondering about the odd behavior of the production queue. This is the price we pay as early buyers.

Not an original insight, but Pedro seems pretty damned good. Claim the sacred path pantheon, and with your rainforest-y start bias you should be able to place at least two supercharged campuses and holy sites. You'll tech like crazy and have plenty of faith to (a) recruit basically any great person you want, factoring in Pedro's unique ability, or (b) go theocracy and buy yourself a world-beating army.

Totakeke

No scout opening seems crazy to me especially with the new movement system. A scout, especially with one promotion, moves so much faster across the maps. It also triggers important eurekas such as foreign trade and political philosophy. No scout openings seem to make a lot of assumptions of the regions you're in and rerolling to get the outcome you want.

I actually stopped trying to play Aztecs because I didn't have any certainty how soon I can use a military force comprised of eagle warriors. The second game I tried I was actually surrounded by 3 city states with the nearest civ being more than 20 tiles away and the terrain was fairly mountainous and hard to move through. And then I saw the city state bonuses and thought it would be pretty dumb to conquer them instead of just trying to be their suzerain. So my early military plan faltered and I should have made less assumptions about the map.

ZZMitch

Was wondering this too

Got so used to that part of the Civ 5 enhanced UI. This game needs a UI mod like yesterday.

Yeah the loss of EUI is my biggest loss in the switch from V to VI. I especially miss the notifications you get when a city grows a population or has its borders expand. Great for someone who likes to micro like me :D

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
All strategic resources are much rarer and *ahem* more strategic in Civ 6. I built a city just 4 tiles away from my capital just to grab a second copy of horses.

Yep, I find myself building more cities in less than great positions simply to get resources. Also it seems like the penalties for a "wide civ" are less than it was in Civ 5 so I'm more willing to found cities that will stay small but provide needed resources. I kind of like this honestly.

Kikirin

I haven't messed with religion yet at all, but for what it counts I saw AI civs' religious units duking it out in my game and don't think they were at war.
Definitely don't have to be at war, same religion maybe?

Thanks for the responses! While my religion had the continent majority, I don't think the apostle was same religion since the enemy was still trying to spread their stuff. Will try it again on a fresh reload later today.

vixlar

Is iron absurdly rare or something? I've played 3 games and I've seen a single iron deposit.

I just build a city on the other side of the continent to get two iron. The remaining one was in hands of egypt. I think there should be some kind of selector to reach for specific special resources.

Grief.exe

Is iron absurdly rare or something? I've played 3 games and I've seen a single iron deposit.

All strategic resources are much rarer and *ahem* more strategic in Civ 6. I built a city just 4 tiles away from my capital just to grab a second copy of horses.

Yep, I find myself building more cities in less than great positions simply to get resources. Also it seems like the penalties for a "wide civ" are less than it was in Civ 5 so I'm more willing to found cities that will stay small but provide needed resources. I kind of like this honestly.

Okay, since I'm about to found a city in a less than perfect position to grab one of the only Nitre sources on the map.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Yeah I had to go halfway across the world to get Aluminum in one game. Of which there were like 6 all clustered together. Kicker was I then never used them as I won before ever needing any planes. Even in another game where I dominated a whole continent I don't think I ever had more than 3 Iron, and 2 of all the other resources, save uranium as I didn't progress far enough to reveal that. That's a whole continent with like 10 massive cities.

Totakeke

The same is probably true for luxury resources too, it's more than justified building a crap city in a different continent just to grab two copies of luxuries you don't have on your continent. I really like how they nailed down all the little details with their tweaks to the Civ5 system.

I really recommend people jumping into Civ6 rather than going through Civ5 unless you want to maximize the amount of time in your life you spend playing civilization games. There's far more interesting decisions to make turn by turn while busywork such as micromanaging workers and buildings roads are now gone.

So I've played about 350 turns total so far over two games. My first game I ended basically because I was just getting used to the new mechanics with it. My second game I'm playing through until the end. Here are the things I've noticed.

Strategic resources are actually insanely hard to get it seems like. There has been no source of iron or niter anywhere near my starting point. The only sources on iron were on the entire other side of my starting continent, and by the time I got niter revealed all sources of it were either in existing cultures territory or right on the border. I eventually got a source of niter by colonizing the vastly underutilized other continent, but by the time I discovered it and colonized it I was basically past the tech where niter was require for the units. This could just have been the luck of the draw on the map.

City states seem way more meaningful in how you play the game. I had a militaristic city state very close to my starting point and became the suzerain of it. Due to the fact that the city state had like 15+ military units and I could levy the military from it for a very low cost, I essentially barely built any military units. I had a total of 8 land units simply to get the eureka moment for a tech. When Rome declared war on me with their vastly larger army I just levied a 15-20 unit military from my nearby city state and smashed them to pieces.

Civs having motivations is actually pretty cool. It really varies up the feel and makes each civ feel distinct when you play against them. China is constantly pissed at me for having more Wonders than them.

Religion can be a nightmare if you ignore it and I am not thoroughly happy with religious combat. The Aztecs decided to throw four apostles at me, so I purchased five of my own to combat them. One of their apostles had a vastly higher power than mine and could essentially kill any of mine in one hit. I would have had to attack it six times in succession to kill it, most likely losing six of my apostles, or coming close to it. There needs to be a better way to heal religious units as I can't figure out how to heal them at all. I think I read that if they are on a holy site they will heal, but I don't know if that is true.

Planning district layouts is hard, especially on coastal cities because you can have a lot less tiles to deal with. On the plus side in previous civ games I rarely ever found a reason not to make a city coastal if I could, whereas in this the free space afforded by non-coastal cities can be beneficial.

Am I oblivious or is there no unit list? I had a scout somewhere on the map and I was trying to find it to give new orders. But I didn't feel like looking all over for it so I tried to find a unit list to select it with but couldn't find it. After a minute I got sick of trying to find the list so I just scrolled around and found the unit.

Blizzard

Banned
Am I oblivious or is there no unit list? I had a scout somewhere on the map and I was trying to find it to give new orders. But I didn't feel like looking all over for it so I tried to find a unit list to select it with but couldn't find it. After a minute I got sick of trying to find the list so I just scrolled around and found the unit.
Highlight a unit and click the unit name in the bottom right (e.g. "Slinger").

So, ehem, I was level 30 last night... after patch level 0.

Anyone had this problem?

EDIT: THIS ISN'T THE GAME WHERE YOU RUN AROUND AND KILL PEOPLE IN WW1!
What do you mean? I always make sure my Civ playthroughs are historically accurate by having a WW1, WW2 and WW3 :)

Maledict

Just to point out, the only change they made with the agendas has been to make that visible to the player. The AIs since civ 4 have all had different motivations and ways of winning - there's a huge table that outlines all the different motivators. For example, in civ 5 it was Egypt that was wonder crazy, and he'd get really pissed if you built wonders. England had a weird thing where they get angry if you got involved in diplomatic shenanigans. I do think it's a good thing to show the agendas to players, but it's not a new thing in terms of the AI at all.

Is anyone else having absurdly long load times this morning? I'm 25 hours in and it's always loaded up relatively quick (SSD). But this morning it seems to be taking a really long time (at about 5 minutes right now and still loading, please wait.)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The same is probably true for luxury resources too, it's more than justified building a crap city in a different continent just to grab two copies of luxuries you don't have on your continent. I really like how they nailed down all the little details with their tweaks to the Civ5 system.

I really recommend people jumping into Civ6 rather than going through Civ5 unless you want to maximize the amount of time in your life you spend playing civilization games. There's far more interesting decisions to make turn by turn while busywork such as micromanaging workers and buildings roads are now gone.

Agreed, Civ 6 simply opens up more strategy decisions which are viable when compared to the limitations imposed in Civ 5. Last night I built my first city on a new continent from my starting one just to get a jade luxury, and I was pleasantly surprised that I did not need a harbor or seaport or anything to "connect" that jade to my overall empire.

How are you able to see how much a strategic resource tile provides? And does it work like V where you use up the resource to make the unit or do you just require that many of that resource (like 2 horse for a knight) to produce that kind of unit?

Totakeke

How are you able to see how much a strategic resource tile provides? And does it work like V where you use up the resource to make the unit or do you just require that many of that resource (like 2 horse for a knight) to produce that kind of unit?

1 tile provides 1 copy. You need 2 to produce any of the units that require the resource unless you have something that overrides that requirement.

Maledict

Each respurce provides one of that resource. Units don't take use up resources anymore, as long as you have enough you can make as many units as you want.

(Note that some units require 2 of a resource).

bj00rn_

Banned
Honestly, I think there's a huge improvement.

I didn't enjoy Civ 5 very much, but I'm loving this.

I loved Civ 5, and I love this more. It even feels different. And, it's like a drug..

There are some glaring glitches yet.., I just "robbed" France from all but one of their cities (LOL) by trying to make a trade deal on them and then deleting the gold offer, and then refresh. About 30 gold per city.. It's fun the first time, but basically cheating, so I won't do it again.

Each respurce provides one of that resource. Units don't take use up resources anymore, as long as you have enough you can make as many units as you want.

(Note that some units require 2 of a resource).

1 tile provides 1 copy. You need 2 to produce any of the units that require the resource unless you have something that overrides that requirement.

Got it thanks. I havnt had to worry about it yet because Roman Legions baby! I thought Rome was a pushover in V but Firaxis had them put on their big boy pants for this game.

Top Bottom