• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Just to point out, the only change they made with the agendas has been to make that visible to the player. The AIs since civ 4 have all had different motivations and ways of winning - there's a huge table that outlines all the different motivators. For example, in civ 5 it was Egypt that was wonder crazy, and he'd get really pissed if you built wonders. England had a weird thing where they get angry if you got involved in diplomatic shenanigans. I do think it's a good thing to show the agendas to players, but it's not a new thing in terms of the AI at all.

This may be true, but the change made them come alive. Before I would get denounced by a random civ and have no idea what I did to get them upset. Now when you get denounced it gives you a reason. Being able to understand the other Civs motivations took it from being something seemingly random to something you can respond to and actually make intelligent decisions about. It may not be a big change but to me it fundamentally alters how you engage with other civilizations in a way no other game in the series did.

Totakeke

They probably improved it over the course of the Civ5 expansions, but in vanilla Civ5 I remember there being an issue of the AI playing to win the game too much like a player would, making the game frustrating to play.

Rad-

I'm not sure if it has been discussed but there's something about barbarians that makes loading between rounds a lot longer. When I

start a huge map game with full civs
vs
the same but no barbarians

my rounds load more than twice as fast in that second scenario. Barbs make the game a loooot slower in big games. Just a tip if your game is running slow for you loading wise. It's not really that noticeable/bothersome in normal size games but with biggest map + max civs the difference is huge.

I hope they can do something about this because early game is so damn boring without barbarians.

Is anyone else having absurdly long load times this morning? I'm 25 hours in and it's always loaded up relatively quick (SSD). But this morning it seems to be taking a really long time (at about 5 minutes right now and still loading, please wait.)

It is probably a corrupt save.

Something is wrong with the game. People in this thread have talked about playing the game for 20 hours + then suddenly the game stops working. I had this happen last night.

I eventually had to make an exception in my antivirus for some reason. I noticed the AV was using 14% of cpu while the game wasn't doing anything like your situation.

Blizzard

Banned
Ahh, thanks.

Boy, that sure is unintuitive. Why not a menu item somewhere? When I went into view reports I fully expected a unit list in there but it was nowhere to be found.
Oh I agree, I was just happy I found a way.

One thing I REALLY haven't found is seeing which city border tiles will get expanded to next, and how many turns to border expansion. I don't know why they removed that since Civ V.

Oh I agree, I was just happy I found a way.

One thing I REALLY haven't found is seeing which city border tiles will get expanded to next, and how many turns to border expansion. I don't know why they removed that since Civ V.

Right? Its incredibly frustrating. They design the game around making tile placements more important than ever before and then remove when you know there will be border growth? What were they thinking?

I will bet anyone here big money the first big mod for this game will add turns until border growth to the city UI, assuming Firaxis doesn't patch it in.

Is anyone else having absurdly long load times this morning? I'm 25 hours in and it's always loaded up relatively quick (SSD). But this morning it seems to be taking a really long time (at about 5 minutes right now and still loading, please wait.)
I am. It used to take a minute to oad to the main menu, but now it's 3. I haven't been able to load into a game yet either.

Totakeke

Right? Its incredibly frustrating. They design the game around making tile placements more important than ever before and then remove when you know there will be border growth? What were they thinking?

I will bet anyone here big money the first big mod for this game will add turns until border growth to the city UI, assuming Firaxis doesn't patch it in.

Agreed, although it should be also noted that border growth is a lot slower in Civ6 than Civ5. The main way to grow borders is to buy them.

I've dropped Scouts from my build as well :( they don't necessarily move as fast as Warriors and Slingers and tend to be squishier as well. I generally don't stick with Survey for very long either; I go for State Workforce asap for Conscription. Barbarians are genuinely crazy this time around and the AI tends to be happy to declare war on me, even on Prince. My early build is usually the following:

1. Slinger
2. Slinger
3. Slinger
4. Slinger (skip this if I feel safe enough)
5. Builder
6. Settler

Yes I try fitting in that many Slingers, and I usually get them all too before Archery, even if I get the eureka for it. And yes if the chance comes up I do go conquering, though I'm more likely to just go barb hunting and pick up goodie huts along the way.

Each respurce provides one of that resource. Units don't take use up resources anymore, as long as you have enough you can make as many units as you want.

(Note that some units require 2 of a resource).

Aaahhhh this makes so much more sense!

I couldn't find anything in the Civpedophile about how to use Nukes either, I had to find out on a website. I quite like the new system, but it's not that clear in game that it's the case. Also they seem utterly devastating compared to in Civ5 but it seems like the diplomatic benefits (Read: utter fear) isn't so big. In Civ5 if you were the only one with nukes, everyone became afraid of you. In this no one seemed to actually care.

valouris

Kinda disappointed in the AI/difficulty. I easily won a game on Emperor, when I had difficulties even on King in Civ 5.
I had landlocked the German civ and they never made another city, even though they had some space behind them for 3-4 cities (where I and the Chinese easily settled), nor did anyone proceed to explore empty islands on the map (which I easily settled).
Also, the Chinese had amassed a massive AT crew army on boats outside my borders (about 20 units) on transport ships, and when they eventually declared war on me they just stood there getting decimated by my navy, only landing a couple of troops at a time. If they had landed everything I would have probably lost the war entirely.

Anyway, is there any reason to make more than one spaceports? I made two to make the space projects faster, and at the same time, but the game didn't let me make any project at the second spaceport. If they intend for you to only make the projects one at a time, the game shouldn't let you make more than one spaceport at all, it should disable that option entirely, as with wonders.

Kinda disappointed in the AI/difficulty. I easily won a game on Emperor, when I had difficulties even on King in Civ 5.
I had landlocked the German civ and they never made another city, even though they had some space behind them for 3-4 cities (where I and the Chinese easily settled), nor did anyone proceed to explore empty islands on the map (which I easily settled).
Also, the Chinese had amassed a massive AT crew army on boats outside my borders (about 20 units) on transport ships, and when they eventually declared war on me they just stood there getting decimated by my navy, only landing a couple of troops at a time. If they had landed everything I would have probably lost the war entirely.

Anyway, is there any reason to make more than one spaceports? I made two to make the space projects faster, and at the same time, but the game didn't let me make any project at the second spaceport. If they intend for you to only make the projects one at a time, the game shouldn't let you make more than one spaceport at all, it should disable that option entirely, as with wonders.

Weird. In final phase (Mars) where you have to make three different space projects I at least could do them seperately on different spaceports.

Agreed, although it should be also noted that border growth is a lot slower in Civ6 than Civ5. The main way to grow borders is to buy them.

Right, and I guess that compliments how easy it is to make money now too from trade routes and cities. Firaxis is providing players with more player agency, letting them decide exactly how they wish to grow. Im not necessarily sure if it is a smart decision, but it definently helps make it different from its predacesaor.

One big thing I like a lot is how great people points are now accumulated from your whole empire and not on a by-city basis. Also how each city state and Great Person provides their own unique bonus.

valouris

Weird. In final phase (Mars) where you have to make three different space projects I at least could do them seperately on different spaceports.

Yeah, obviously that should be possible. The option to do the projects wasn't even on the production list. My game was probably bugged out, unless there was some other factor that I didn't notice.

M.D

Bought and downloading (SSD, hopefully it will make some difference even tho people say it still takes long to load)

I really liked Civ 5 and put 152 hours into it but never won a single game lol. I still got great enjoyment out of the game but a lot of it was a learning experience and some of it was straight up me playing too much in a short amount of time then getting sick and returning to build a new civ after a long while.

I'll watch the filthyrobot guides and play the tutorial even tho I know a lot of it, but hopefully I could get better this time.

Alavard

Yeah, obviously that should be possible. The option to do the projects wasn't even on the production list. My game was probably bugged out, unless there was some other factor that I didn't notice.

I have experienced the same problem. Frustrating because I ran out of turns trying for the science victory.

Kikirin

They probably improved it over the course of the Civ5 expansions, but in vanilla Civ5 I remember there being an issue of the AI playing to win the game too much like a player would, making the game frustrating to play.

Didn't know the AI was that strong at one point. Would like to have this back so that I'm not the only one actively trying to win or obstruct the sole other human player in multiplayer games.

See previous pages - Windows Defender started interfering with the game for many users as of yesterday. Add the Civ 6 folder to the Windows Defender exclusion list and you should be good to go.

Totakeke

Didn't know the AI was that strong at one point. Would like to have this back so that I'm not the only one actively trying to win or obstruct the sole other human player in multiplayer games.

I don't think it was strong, just that it had no incentive to cooperate if you're winning. If AIs purely play to win then civilization would be a pretty different experience.

Bought and downloading (SSD, hopefully it will make some difference even tho people say it still takes long to load)

I really liked Civ 5 and put 152 hours into it but never won a single game lol. I still got great enjoyment out of the game but a lot of it was a learning experience and some of it was straight up me playing too much in a short amount of time then getting sick and returning to build a new civ after a long while.

I'll watch the filthyrobot guides and play the tutorial even tho I know a lot of it, but hopefully I could get better this time.

Dude, I've played every Civ from SNES Civ to Civ 5 and I'm pretty sure I've only finished a handful of games in my lifetime. Don't feel too bad about it ha ha!

Vex_

Banned
Dude, I've played every Civ from SNES Civ to Civ 5 and I'm pretty sure I've only finished a handful of games in my lifetime. Don't feel too bad about it ha ha!

The best part, imho, is the beginning. That first settle. The exploration. it's what makes 4x games so great. it is like a survival exploration game on a massive scale.

So yea, restarting over and over isnt a bad thing. lol

It's pretty common for people to drop Civ games before the finish. By late-game you've long since made your big decisions and seen the results. The rest can be pretty tedious, particularly if the game is already decided and your CPU is struggling with all the units. BNW did well to freshen up the late-game with ideologies and tourism. Civ 6, unfortunately, modified those features in ways that leaves the late-game pretty flat again. At least that's my impression after a few games.

valouris

The best part, imho, is the beginning. That first settle. The exploration. it's what makes 4x games so great. it is like a survival exploration game on a massive scale.

So yea, restarting over and over isnt a bad thing. lol

So true. I get the same kick in mid-late game when I'm looking to settle empty islands (however small!) that no one has found yet.

vixlar

It's pretty common for people to drop Civ games before the finish. By late-game you've long since made your big decisions and seen the results. The rest can be pretty tedious, particularly if the game is already decided and your CPU is struggling with all the units. BNW did well to freshen up the late-game with ideologies and tourism. Civ 6, unfortunately, modified those features in ways that leaves the late-game pretty flat again. At least that's my impression after a few games.

And Beyond Sword did the same with Civ 4, with the Corporations.

Totakeke

Didn't see the guide videos he posted, these should be handy. He has 20 min videos covering basic city management, early game decisions, and barbs and early warfare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33CWv7A6Zng&index=1&list=PLQFX9B_9L4-k2jjbVPmdy7BwXql9pBGYl

Strider

Oh yea so my brother who is completely new to Civ said during the multiplayer game we started last night...

"Oh the closest Civ to me is India/Gandhi, well I'm glad I won't have to worry about being attacked or anything..."

LOL

fwiw, I didn't say anything.

Maiorum

He's probably right, though. I don't know how the AI works in VI, but in V, while Gandhi had a high tendency to use nukes in a war, he had a very low tendency to actually declare war.

What did they change about them for the worse?

He's probably right, though. I don't know how the AI works in VI, but in V, while Gandhi had a high tendency to use nukes in a war, he had a very low tendency to actually declare war.

I had Gandhi declare war on me and I don't know why. His thing says he would only declare war in a situation where he would not get a warmonger penalty, but I had barely any interactions with him prior to that and he just went off on me.

So I'm playing on lower difficulty levels, which may be the reason why I'm able to pull this off at all, but I've been consistently getting Great Lighthouse and Venetian Arsenal whenever I can. Double producing ships that get +1 movement is super awesome, and apparently Venetian Arsenal's effect extends to other coastal cities with Harbors at the least (I originally thought the effect would only be for the city that made the Venetian Arsenal, because really that bonus seems way too bonkers). I haven't tried a land-locked city with a Harbor to see if both units just show up on the Harbor itself.

Also, does anyone have a good idea on how air units work now? I'm pretty sure that, at least in Civ 5, air units were usually stationed permanently in their bases and they would intercept or bombard from there, so they had a cap on effective distance. But I just took a plane out for a test run earlier, and apparently I can deploy one of them to a tile on the map and it seems like they'll just fly in circles there forever, no time constraint or fuel constraint or anything. Which is actually cool, it means air units can actually move around the map again in a way.

DEO3

It is probably a corrupt save.

Something is wrong with the game. People in this thread have talked about playing the game for 20 hours + then suddenly the game stops working. I had this happen last night.

I eventually had to make an exception in my antivirus for some reason. I noticed the AV was using 14% of cpu while the game wasn't doing anything like your situation.

I am. It used to take a minute to oad to the main menu, but now it's 3. I haven't been able to load into a game yet either.

Search the thread for Windows Defender, disabling it, or even better - creating an exception for the Civilization VI directory, will fix this issue. For some reason, it just started happening to a lot of people yesterday, myself included.

Palmer_v1

Is it me, or there is no option to view a full list of all my units?

It's fucking hidden in a stupid spot, and still doesn't give as much info as I'd like. In their unit card in the bottom right, the class name is actually a drop down list of all units. So like a Slinger, just click where it says Slinger, and you'll see a list of all your units.

What did they change about them for the worse?

In Civ 5, tourism worked with the ideology system to create a cultural pressure component to the game (something that was fun in Civ 4 but notably absent from vanilla Civ 5). As your tourism rose w/r/t a particular civ, you gained a number of bonuses for trade routes/espionage/etc. If your culture became dominant over a civ following a different ideology, that civ began to take some pretty serious penalties.

I still don't understand how Civ 6's tourism works (What is the exact relationship between your overall tourism output and the percentage of tourists you draw from other civs? What kind of bonuses do you get for drawing their tourists, short of ultimately winning the game?), but if there is similar pressure component, it is not obvious to me.

Ideologies were special, late-game policy trees. You chose one, and whether you shared an ideology with an AI had a pretty big impact on late-game diplomacy. Those diplomatic consequences now attach to governments, which are available early in Civ 6. I think that's a good change. It's just that it leaves the late-game wanting a shakeup from somewhere else.

Grief.exe

I've dropped Scouts from my build as well :( they don't necessarily move as fast as Warriors and Slingers and tend to be squishier as well. I generally don't stick with Survey for very long either; I go for State Workforce asap for Conscription. Barbarians are genuinely crazy this time around and the AI tends to be happy to declare war on me, even on Prince. My early build is usually the following:

1. Slinger
2. Slinger
3. Slinger
4. Slinger (skip this if I feel safe enough)
5. Builder
6. Settler

Yes I try fitting in that many Slingers, and I usually get them all too before Archery, even if I get the eureka for it. And yes if the chance comes up I do go conquering, though I'm more likely to just go barb hunting and pick up goodie huts along the way.

Rush archery and then go conquer another civ early game?

RedFyn

I've dropped Scouts from my build as well :( they don't necessarily move as fast as Warriors and Slingers and tend to be squishier as well.
What do you mean they dont move as fast? The promotions for better movement through terrain are a big help and once you get that +20 combat strength they eat barbs alive. You should try getting a scout in between all of those slingers. Unless you get horses early having that extra movement is really nice.

Strider

Well.. I forget to mention the part where my brother just cant help himself.

He'll declare war... no doubt lol Thinking Gandhi is a pushover. The quote above isn't exact

My 25th anniversary edition arrived in the mail today. yay!

...but the game refuses to install. Steam won't complete the download. it just stops the download. I've tried both direct download and installing through the DVD, it's just not finishing the download. Is this an issue with Steam, or is it because of the issues I've heard with the windows defender update?

Getting towards the end of my first game, going for a science victory at this point.

Early on Peter tried to test me by saying I didn't have enough science or culture in my Civ (even though they were both the second highest at that point) and declared war. I pummeled him back into his starting city, took 4 other cities and finally agreed to his peace deal once he offered me basically everything he had in return. Now he gets to look at St. Petersburg from his oceanside hovel and I'm making 100g+ a turn -- Sumerian war carts are beast starting units. Gorgo is getting really close to securing the religious victory, like swathes of missionaries and apostles coming through areas. The only way I can beat that back is to declare war, yeah? Tried buying a bunch to fight back but there were just too many. My apostles are outnumbered 3-1. She hasn't tried directly converting my areas yet so I haven't felt the need to get aggressive.

Also, how does it track your overall victory progress? For example, I'm leading in military strength even though my neighbor Catherine has like triple the military might as myself. Is it because I've progressed down the talent trees further, or because of said war with Russia? I feel like I should be leading science as well, since I'm already up to researching computers and building my spaceport, as well as launching the moon landing, but I'm in second and have almost 200 science per turn.

Grief.exe

My 25th anniversary edition arrived in the mail today. yay!

...but the game refuses to install. Steam won't complete the download. it just stops the download. I've tried both direct download and installing through the DVD, it's just not finishing the download. Is this an issue with Steam, or is it because of the issues I've heard with the windows defender update?

Click my computer and post the space you have available on your drives.

Top Bottom