• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Rush archery and then go conquer another civ early game?

I've done this against even Deity Aztecs. Just do a single settle in between you and your target and it's almost like their cities will naturally snap into your empire.

The AI mostly can't deal with mass early archers. The movement changes in Civ 6 combined with archer's high attack/reasonable defense just mow through everything until mass horsemen (and those are hard to field early due to the 2 horse requirement).

In Civ 5, tourism worked with the ideology system to create a cultural pressure component to the game (something that was fun in Civ 4 but notably absent from vanilla Civ 5). As your tourism rose w/r/t a particular civ, you gained a number of bonuses for trade routes/espionage/etc. If your culture became dominant over a civ following a different ideology, that civ began to take some pretty serious penalties.

I still don't understand how Civ 6's tourism works (What is the exact relationship between your overall tourism output and the percentage of tourists you draw from other civs? What kind of bonuses do you get for drawing their tourists, short of ultimately winning the game?), but if there is similar pressure component, it is not obvious to me.

Ideologies were special, late-game policy trees. You chose one, and whether you shared an ideology with an AI had a pretty big impact on late-game diplomacy. Those diplomatic consequences now attach to governments, which are available early in Civ 6. I think that's a good change. It's just that it leaves the late-game wanting a shakeup from somewhere else.

I modded the hell out of V and my brother and I put in about 1,000 into the game combined so I was just curious about what they had changed about them in VI :)

I loved ideology's in V. One of the most fun parts was how they pitted whole sides of the world against each other and had the potential of creating world wide wars. If the late game for this doesn't have some similar mechanic that's disappointing.

Hey guys, I'm having trouble loading my save.

When I boot up the game it says it's having issues finding a connection, and the only save file it has for me is back in like 280 BC [I'm currently at 1600AD]. Anyone have this problem/know a fix?

Bizukah

Neo Member
So am I missing something about espionage? France is always yelling at me saying I don't have enough spies or something like that, but I can't seem to find anywhere to change or alter that.

Click my computer and post the space you have available on your drives.

I have enough space, 300+ GB free or so.

It finally started after I started another game download, let that finish and then steam went back to civ 6 and this time, actually completed it.

really bizarre

I loved ideology's in V. One of the most fun parts was how they pitted whole sides of the world against each other and had the potential of creating world wide wars. If the late game for this doesn't have some similar mechanic that's disappointing.

You get world wars anyway because the AI's agendas all have hair triggers and everyone winds up hating each other. You don't even have to wait for the modern era-the fun begins right from like turn 15 or so.

edit: on a more general note, this game has great systems, with few baked to perfection. That doesn't mean that the game isn't fun, but when you set this side by side with something like Civ 5 Vox Populi it's pretty rough looking.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm not sure if it has been discussed but there's something about barbarians that makes loading between rounds a lot longer. When I

start a huge map game with full civs
vs
the same but no barbarians

my rounds load more than twice as fast in that second scenario. Barbs make the game a loooot slower in big games. Just a tip if your game is running slow for you loading wise. It's not really that noticeable/bothersome in normal size games but with biggest map + max civs the difference is huge.

I hope they can do something about this because early game is so damn boring without barbarians.

I think I've noticed this too. I've been playing a huge map on marathon, and for a little while the game turns took forever to get through. But once I explored a good portion of the map and the AI players had spread out decently around the world, turns went a lot faster. I'm assuming that's because there are less places for barbarian camps to spawn and thus less barbarian units moving around.

I modded the hell out of V and my brother and I put in about 1,000 into the game combined so I was just curious about what they had changed about them in VI :)

Ah, sorry. I should have read more carefully.

I've done this against even Deity Aztecs. Just do a single settle in between you and your target and it's almost like their cities will naturally snap into your empire.

The AI mostly can't deal with mass early archers. The movement changes in Civ 6 combined with archer's high attack/reasonable defense just mow through everything until mass horsemen (and those are hard to field early due to the 2 horse requirement).

This was my experience as well (albeit on King rather than Deity). I've twice had Qin declare an early war after I forward settled him. Both times he had no answers for my archers. In my current game, his capital was walled before my counter-attack started, but four archers and a warrior were plenty to bring it down.

You get world wars anyway because the AI's agendas all have hair triggers and everyone winds up hating each other. You don't even have to wait for the modern era-the fun begins right from like turn 15 or so.

Yep. In my first game Monty and Phillip joint-declared against me super early. Thank god Phillip was on the other side of a narrow defile I guarded with a walled city and an encampment. Left me free to focus on Monty.

Volodja

edit: on a more general note, this game has great systems, with few baked to perfection. That doesn't mean that the game isn't fun, but when you set this side by side with something like Civ 5 Vox Populi it's pretty rough looking.
Yeah, I can see a lot of wonky stuff around, the ideas are interesting but sometimes they just go a bit haywire.
It's still a very solid base, however, and I'm having tons of fun with it.

Totakeke

I didn't like Vox Populi because it seemed to be targeted at people already very familiar with Civ5 and were looking for more complexity. It added many more subsystems and I had to keep referring to the manual to even know what was happening. Civ6 feels like a far better mix of accessibility and strategic complexity.

Jintor

I don't understand the religious pressure or the tourism pressure systems, but tourism hasn't come into play yet.

In any case I think Civ VI's UI has a lot of problems even as it fixes a bunch of stuff I was always annoyed at in V

Fliesen

so - uhm ... i had one town with a religious district, ... that town got overrun by enemy apostles.

Is my religion dead now? i see no way of how i could re-ignite it.

ghostjoke

Banned
Windows 10 installs some updates and now the game runs like ass when it actually loads. It seems right that Civ would be the one to my me rid myself of this abortion of an operating system. What the actual fuck, Microsoft?

edit: in case of anyone seeing this and having similar problems. it was sorted by giving the Civ VI folder an exception in Windows Defender. It's performing even better than before now. Golf clap at Microsoft.

so - uhm ... i had one town with a religious district, ... that town got overrun by enemy apostles.

Is my religion dead now? i see no way of how i could re-ignite it.

From my experience and other's reports, it's dead. Hopefully they put holy cities back into the game considering you can get your religion abolished only a few turns after you found it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Getting bogged down in excess clicking gets a little grating after a while. I'm finding it more of a chore to progress once I have a lot of shit on my screen.

Fliesen

Windows 10 installs some updates and now the game runs like ass when it actually loads. It seems right that Civ would be the one to my me rid myself of this abortion of an operating system. What the actual fuck, Microsoft?

From my experience and other's reports, it's dead. Hopefully they put holy cities back into the game considering you can get your religion abolished only a few turns after you found it.

especially since there's always this ONE dickhead AI who does nothing than spreading their religion like crazy and you have NO way of preventing that from happening. :p

Palmer_v1

I feel like movement is broken in a few ways.

1. If I tell a troop to move a long distance, say 10 turns or more of movement, they'll end up needing orders again on the next turn. This happens even when the destination spot remains empty. In particular, Inoticed this when I finished a war in one spot, and then gave orders to move a bunch of units to another continent.

2. Naval units embedded with Admirals(and maybe embarked land units?). The ship's movement will try to take it through land because of the linked unit, when I just want both fo them to sail around the cape instead.

3. Linked units in general. When they have different move distances, which is common, I have to constantly tell the unit with more movement to skip turn so I can progress.

Combined, these have made my religious win, and now domination game, pretty miserable with movement micromanagement.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm not sure if it has been discussed but there's something about barbarians that makes loading between rounds a lot longer. When I

start a huge map game with full civs
vs
the same but no barbarians

my rounds load more than twice as fast in that second scenario. Barbs make the game a loooot slower in big games. Just a tip if your game is running slow for you loading wise. It's not really that noticeable/bothersome in normal size games but with biggest map + max civs the difference is huge.

I hope they can do something about this because early game is so damn boring without barbarians.

This has always been an issue with Civ and it's typically what stops me from playing. I always feel like in order for the game to flow well and the mechanics/resources to work you need a large map with many civs - but then if you do that each turn, especially in late game, takes an absurd amount of time.

Rad-

This has always been an issue with Civ and it's typically what stops me from playing. I always feel like in order for the game to flow well and the mechanics/resources to work you need a large map with many civs - but then if you do that each turn, especially in late game, takes an absurd amount of time.

Yes but now with barbarians the early turns are super slow. There's something about their coding that's buggy or badly optimized. Like XiaNaphryz said above, it actually gets relatively faster when barbarians eventually die off.

Btw started a new game and looks like I won the placement lottery. Standard sized map with 18 civs and I got this huge ass continent all to myself. 2 easy to defend chokepoints are the only way to get in (both had city states right in the middle of the chokepoint, I just conquered them asap). This is going to be an easy game...

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yes but now with barbarians the early turns are super slow. There's something about their coding that's buggy or badly optimized. Like XiaNaphryz said above, it actually gets relatively faster when barbarians eventually die off.

Yeah, I disable it under advanced settings create game each time.

RedFyn

I feel like movement is broken in a few ways.

1. If I tell a troop to move a long distance, say 10 turns or more of movement, they'll end up needing orders again on the next turn. This happens even when the destination spot remains empty. In particular, Inoticed this when I finished a war in one spot, and then gave orders to move a bunch of units to another continent.
If you mean you're giving units move orders and they move but then the next turn they are just sitting there they move after you click end turn. It would help if they made their icons blink or something to tell you they are following move orders

Totakeke

I had a relatively good computer from the HP desktop threads and I haven't had issues with wait times. Not enough that I ever felt bothered by it. In fact I had to turn off quick combat animations because the combat was going by too fast and I had no idea what happened between turns.

I think sleeping the linked support unit works most of the time.

CzarTim

They probably improved it over the course of the Civ5 expansions, but in vanilla Civ5 I remember there being an issue of the AI playing to win the game too much like a player would, making the game frustrating to play.

Agreed, but here there doesn't seem to be ANY push back. I was able to win a religious victory without ever going to war on Emperor.

Your allies shouldn't turn on you for no reason like in V, but anyone who doesn't like you should at least put up a fight.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Do districts from other cities (also yours) also give adjacency bonuses?

Yep. I played as Japan and put the cities fairly close to each other. The electronics factory boost stacked as as well. I had 3 electronics factories in range of 3 cities, so each city got +12 production.

Totakeke

Agreed, but here there doesn't seem to be ANY push back. I was able to win a religious victory without ever going to war on Emperor.

Your allies shouldn't turn on you for no reason like in V, but anyone who doesn't like you should at least put up a fight.

I think the current counter to that is having someone like Spain in your game with their agenda hating civs that spread religion to them. I don't think this is entirely a bad thing. Maybe instead of just picking a civ and than deciding how you should win, you should look at other civs in your game and pick the path of least resistance.

Najaf

I built Chichen Itza in my rainforest city and it is doing really well. I am using a ton of rainforest for its bonuses but might want to build improvements on those tiles. Are there any improvements that keep the rainforest in tact like in past civs (jungle)? Civipedia isnt helping.

Totakeke

I built Chichen Itza in my rainforest city and it is doing really well. I am using a ton of rainforest for its bonuses but might want to build improvements on those tiles. Are there any improvements that keep the rainforest in tact like in past civs (jungle)? Civipedia isnt helping.

Only special improvements to specific civs I believe.

Totakeke

I was playing fine all weekend, now it's not getting past the loading screen with the leader.... this is annoying

Yeah, same boat.

- All saves cause an endless loading screen
- Starting a new game causes an endless loading screen
- Civ 6 loading is shown as "Not Responding" according to Win10 Task Manager

If you have a dual screen setup, you can hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE to launch task manager and then (assuming you can't see it because Civ 6 is in fullscreen mode) hit windows key + right arrow to move it to your other monitor. I'm having mostly the same problem (stuck on loading forever) but at least Win10 Task Manager will tell you it's not responding.

Steam's verify integrity feature shows nothing wrong, so really only option left is to delete the game and reinstall.

EDIT: Windows Defender? Figures something in Windows could fuck it up.
To whitelist:
1. Windows Defender Settings
2. Scroll down the list to "Exclusions" > Add an Exclusion
3. Add the Civ 6 folder

That seems to work...

RedFyn

I think I like that your religion can die out but maybe they should add more great people like a false prophet or a second religious leader causing a schism or some sort of atheist unit that reduces the religion in a city. That way they have to maintain their religion in your cities.

Rush archery and then go conquer another civ early game?
I do tend to be more war-like than most :p But it doesn't hurt to be a little extra secure, I really do mean it when I say that the barbs are pretty crazy this time around.

What do you mean they dont move as fast? The promotions for better movement through terrain are a big help and once you get that +20 combat strength they eat barbs alive. You should try getting a scout in between all of those slingers. Unless you get horses early having that extra movement is really nice.
Are you using Survey? Or maybe you mass a bunch of scouts and get Terracotta? :p

And unfortunately the movement system doesn't work in favor of Scouts. Scouts may have 3 movement points, but they can't cheat movement like they used to in Civ 5, and they now have a penalty for crossing rivers. Even if I deploy a scout first, I can consistently get it to learn Alpine and Guerilla, but I've never got a scout to learn Ambush. There isn't enough space to explore after awhile, and my scout needs to peck at enemies to even learn Guerilla usually. I do have to say, the recon promotions are super nice tho.

http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ6_units.html

Totakeke

I think I like that your religion can die out but maybe they should add more great people like a false prophet or a second religious leader causing a schism or some sort of atheist unit that reduces the religion in a city. That way they have to maintain their religion in your cities.

I wonder if you can plan to rush missionaries out early, then extinguish all heretic religions as soon as other civs found their religion. That would be a pretty cool alternate early victory path as most victory types take a lot of time.

I do tend to be more war-like than most :p But it doesn't hurt to be a little extra secure, I really do mean it when I say that the barbs are pretty crazy this time around.

Are you using Survey? Or maybe you mass a bunch of scouts and get Terracotta? :p

And unfortunately the movement system doesn't work in favor of Scouts. Scouts may have 3 movement points, but they can't cheat movement like they used to in Civ 5, and they now have a penalty for crossing rivers. Even if I deploy a scout first, I can consistently get it to learn Alpine and Guerilla, but I've never got a scout to learn Ambush. There isn't enough space to explore after awhile, and my scout needs to peck at enemies to even learn Guerilla usually. I do have to say, the recon promotions are super nice tho.

http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ6_units.html

I use the survey civic card early and scouts earn experience through discoveries. If there's a split between rough terrain and flatlands, I send my warrior through the rough terrain and my scout through the flatter terrain. But yeah, they still end up at 1 promotion most of the time.

Totakeke

Guys what speed do most of you play at? Feel like the default speed is way too fast to utilize tech as you get it.

Standard. Tech speed does feel a bit too fast, but in terms of utilization I think it feels okay. Depends on what you're actually referring to.

If you mean militarily, I feel fine with the current pace. It takes two additional eras to upgrade a specific unit to the next and that's more than enough time to build a ton of them and use it to win wars.

If you mean in terms of empire management, I think it's also fine as now city specialization is even more important as ever. You don't have enough time to build most of the stuff so you better pick the ones that matter.

It could be also a side effect of players too used to civilization being a science-first game. So everyone still prioritizes libraries and universities when they don't really need as strong as a focus this time.

Yep. I played as Japan and put the cities fairly close to each other. The electronics factory boost stacked as as well. I had 3 electronics factories in range of 3 cities, so each city got +12 production.

Thanks! I was planning on playing Japan and thought about making "district corridors" connecting cities between each other. Sweet.

I am leading in culture and science as France, but am having a tough time figuring out to push myself over the edge in culture.

Have a ton of wonders, tons of great works, etc. Any tips?

Totakeke

I am leading in culture and science as France, but am having a tough time figuring out to push myself over the edge in culture.

Have a ton of wonders, tons of great works, etc. Any tips?

Tourism or culture? For the latter, religion, trade routes, city state bonuses, and civic cards that boost culture based on those.

So... how is everyone handling hammers, particularly for new cities and the like? Each subsequent city I plop down starts becoming so aggravating to bring up to speed, particularly due to increasing district and builder costs. Doesn't help that tiles need to be dedicated for districts, so oftentimes the original yield or the improvement on the tile goes away. Trade routes help a bit, but I'm very compelled to build encampments for both defense AND hammers, at least before industrial zones are available.

Totakeke

So... how is everyone handling hammers, particularly for new cities and the like? Each subsequent city I plop down starts becoming so aggravating to bring up to speed, particularly due to increasing district and builder costs. Doesn't help that tiles need to be dedicated for districts, so oftentimes the original yield or the improvement on the tile goes away. Trade routes help a bit, but I'm very compelled to build encampments for both defense AND hammers, at least before industrial zones are available.

Aggressively settle cities near hills and riverside tiles with woods. Aggressively purchase those tiles if there's any risk of being taken by a neighboring city. Mines and Lumber Mills on those tiles. Chop jungle and other woods that's not required for district adjacency bonuses

I don't even build mines on empty hills for the most part.
Also Montezuma's 2nd ability makes it so builders can complete a district by themselves once they get the extra 2 builds which takes about a third of the time it takes to build a district regularly.

An annoyance with builders not being eternal anymore is repairing still requires them so you have to keep a builder around if you want to be prepared for pillaging.

Top Bottom