• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Is there a way to get into religion game with all Great Prophet gone?

BTW, Scythia early game is so sick. Extra unit for each cavalry unit built is pretty ridiculous. Plus the horse archers is raining glory.

It's hard to notice because of how broken the two-for-one pony special is, but even without it their bonus versus wounded units is ridiculous early-game, and the healing they get on unit execution is stupid good the entire game, particularly since there's only like one unit I'm aware of that still gets March (the Mamluk).

You can just wade into starting barbarian camps with a solo Warrior as Scythia. That shit's straight suicidal even as the Aztecs.

FunkyMonk

1. No clue, but I would assume not if you haven't met other civs.
2. Conservation in the civics tree.

Cheers, I had a quick skim through the civics tree but must have missed it. I'm only at Turn 142 and about to destroy the French, my denunciation should give me the casus belli in 2 turns then it's bye bye Cathy & time to look for new victims!

I haven't won a Domination victory since Civ 3!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So I'm playing around with those +100% bonus to specific units policies, and I'm Montezuma, so I have plenty of builders around. I get +100% of the production bonus from clearing forests towards making the unit, and if the unit gets completed by that, the overflow that's left over (which is saved for whatever I build next) is still getting the +100% production bonus, even if it's not the unit type modified by the policy.

If the production cost of the unit is small relative to the production output of the city or the forest clearing, then you can build up a huge amount of production in the city. My whole list of potential wonders to make is at 1 turn remaining lmao.

omg, with the overflow thing, I built 5 wonders in a row on consecutive turns, in the same city lmfaooo

VIdeo's up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiPMWletAag

Rizzi

Does anyone have a photo of the cloth map that comes with some versions of the physical game? Can't seem to find one.

Pineapple

The more I play this game the more frustrated I become - and not because it's a bad game. I think the mechanics here are outstanding. The problem for me is that the game just doesn't give me enough information.

- Luxuries become a hassle to manage in the middle to late stages of the game. Early on, it's easy to keep track of. You pick up a luxury, you get +1 amenity for your first 4 cities, and each 2 citizens after the first 2 will require another +1 amenity. Great. This becomes almost impossible to manage when you have 6+ cities with 6+ luxuries, different amounts of each, with some being traded away. Which luxuries are providing amenities for which cities? Which luxuries are currently not being used because they're being traded away? NONE of this information is presented at all.

- In Civ V, I could find out the population of other Civs. Or how many tiles / land they own. Or their GPT. Apparently none of that information is present in Civ VI.

There are other, smaller issues I have with the UI and presentation in general. Hopefully the next few patches ameliorate some of these problems.

Anteo

ifDhqJE.png

>_>

AxeMan

The more I play this game the more frustrated I become - and not because it's a bad game. I think the mechanics here are outstanding. The problem for me is that the game just doesn't give me enough information.

- Luxuries become a hassle to manage in the middle to late stages of the game. Early on, it's easy to keep track of. You pick up a luxury, you get +1 amenity for your first 4 cities, and each 2 citizens after the first 2 will require another +1 amenity. Great. This becomes almost impossible to manage when you have 6+ cities with 6+ luxuries, different amounts of each, with some being traded away. Which luxuries are providing amenities for which cities? Which luxuries are currently not being used because they're being traded away? NONE of this information is presented at all.

- In Civ V, I could find out the population of other Civs. Or how many tiles / land they own. Or their GPT. Apparently none of that information is present in Civ VI.

There are other, smaller issues I have with the UI and presentation in general. Hopefully the next few patches ameliorate some of these problems.

I agree with this. Information is hard to find.
I wanted to see a list of what all my cities were producing, how long to go etc. Couldn't find it.
I know in previous versions I could cycle through the function keys to access loads of information but I can't in this version.
I wanted to see what units I had available (I was looking for a Great Person I'd placed somewhere) but couldn't see a list for this either.
I can't see where to find in how many turns a cities boundaries will expand from culture either.

I'm sure all those options are there, I just can't find them

Palmer_v1

How do you cancel a wonder that is under construction?

I started building one in the wrong city. I think it spent one turn constructing before I noticed. Now if I switch production to other stuff, it's still there so my other cities can't choose it. I tried moving a worker there to attempt to clear it but that doesn't do anything.

Totakeke

How do you cancel a wonder that is under construction?

I started building one in the wrong city. I think it spent one turn constructing before I noticed. Now if I switch production to other stuff, it's still there so my other cities can't choose it. I tried moving a worker there to attempt to clear it but that doesn't do anything.

Reload an autosave. Same with districts, no undoing.

Vex_

Banned
So basically everyone (mainly Cleopatra) keeps saying my army is weak, but they know not to truly try my face like that because I have a lot of gold.

This moneyflow can be used to control the 4 city states around me and they boys. Cleo better stop disrespectin before I grab da boys and start shootin in her hood.

She dont want this. On my mama.

SirNinja

So basically everyone (mainly Cleopatra) keeps saying my army is weak

Yeah, same here. The AI personalities seem to do this very arbitrarily. Montezuma just told me that my army is weak even though I have more and better units than him. Qin Shi Huang was also boasting about the opulence of his civ's culture when he was in seventh place for the culture victory and I was third.

Sometimes they can also be a bit too spontaneous. Out of (seemingly) nowhere, Gorgo just lectured me about letting barbarians near my city. I wondered what she was talking about until I saw that an encampment had spawned on a fog-of-war tile just outside the city boundary. It had literally just appeared there, too: I pressed Next Turn, a barb camp spawned, and Gorgo chewed me out for it before I regained control of anything.

The game is wonderful so far, but things like that are puzzling. Hopefully a patch or two can smooth things over.

Vex_

Banned
Yeah, same here. The AI personalities seem to do this very arbitrarily. Montezuma just told me that my army is weak even though I have more and better units than him. Qin Shi Huang was also boasting about the opulence of his civ's culture when he was in seventh place for the culture victory and I was third.

Sometimes they can also be a bit too spontaneous. Out of (seemingly) nowhere, Gorgo just lectured me about letting barbarians near my city. I wondered what she was talking about until I saw that an encampment had spawned on a fog-of-war tile just outside the city boundary. It had literally just appeared there, too: I pressed Next Turn, a barb camp spawned, and Gorgo chewed me out for it before I regained control of anything.

The game is wonderful so far, but things like that are puzzling. Hopefully a patch or two can smooth things over.

Yea the ai is strange. The brazil guy one time just appeared out of nowhere and started boasting about his "great mind" or something. I wasnt listening.

He is at war now with like two other Civs. I dont know how the ai manages money, but war is really expensive (resource wise and $$$ wise). Not to mention it costs you your valuable time - which you can never get back.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I was wondering why I automatically had 1 envoy on each of the first 3 city-states I found. Did I have envoys sitting around waiting for me to explore or something?

Vex_

Banned
Rome asks me for some horses in a trade. 2 turns later he declares a "surprise war" on me. Cheeky bastard.

Wait... Doesnt Rome get free roads to whoever they trade with or something? Holy shit. That means he can run up in your shit easier.

Edit: oh wait no I think that is only with his cities..

I wonder what Brazil is planning.

Ben-Hur remake-remake. Nothing to worry about.

(I kid, but I had Greece do this to me. The best part was they were interlacing their units in the gap between my cities where there was a large desert, and their army wasn't on their home continent, so when I finally got tired of looking at their by-then hilariously outdated army they couldn't even run away. They honest to god sat around with a force that size for twenty-plus turns without declaring war.)

Rad-

So am I missing something or is putting a city to a coast tile a bad decision in this version? I don't see that many benefits (because you can just build a harbor to make ships), only major negatives like enemy ships attacking your city. Water resources seem pretty meh in Civ 6 as well.

Maledict

So am I missing something or is putting a city to a coast tile a bad decision in this version? I don't see that many benefits (because you can just build a harbor to make ships), only major negatives like enemy ships attacking your city. Water resources seem pretty meh in Civ 6 as well.

Yep, it's a common complaint. Other than a very early eureka boost for the sailing tech, and faster access to ships and water trade routes, there's absolutely no reason to do it. Sea tiles don't generate nearly enough resources to justify it, unlike in Civ 5, and it reduces the number of useable land tiles. Plus if you are on the coast ships can take your city, which is a huge weakness.

It's one of the many things that needs a do-over balance wise.

spiritfox

I feel like there should be a production penalty for shipbuilding if the city center is not on the shore, or basic water tiles should get some bonus from harbor buildings since they can't be improved.

ISee

What's the distance my troops have to be away from a foreign boarder? Cleopatra is complaining about my absolutely neutral military maneuvers at her border. I'd never invade her... Like this turn at least.

Kinan

Damn, I would pay big money for 4k PS4Pro version of Civ6. :p Or give us another Revolution at least. Any PS4 Civ will do, actually. Please, anything. :(

What's the distance my troops have to be away from a foreign boarder? Cleopatra is complaining about my absolutely neutral military maneuvers at her border. I'd never invade her... Like this turn at least.

To keep the promise you actually just have to not attack them, you don't have to move any units.

To keep them from bitching about it in the first place... probably not possible. I've had Elizabeth freak out because I had one Knight walk along her border on the way to clear a barbarian camp, even though she had stacked up enough units along our shared border that I would be seriously nervous if the AI had any idea how to prosecute a war.

ISee

To keep the promise you actually just have to not attack them, you don't have to move any units.

To keep them from bitching about it in the first place... probably not possible. I've had Elizabeth freak out because I had one Knight walk along her border on the way to clear a barbarian camp, even though she had stacked up enough units along our shared border that I would be seriously nervous if the AI had any idea how to prosecute a war.

Good to know. Thank you

Maledict

And by Elizabeth you mean Victoria? ;-)

I've had an AI warn me when I had my army 3 tiles away from their border. So it was my unit, blank tile, blank tile, their border. I don't believe they themselves even had line of sight on me although a city state did, which I later learnt was their ally, so I presume that is how they got it. It didn't really matter in the end, I declared war like 2 turns later and they decided to spam horsemen versus my Spartan hoplites. Soooooooo, that went well for them.

Vex_

Banned
Whenever the ai stacks units at my border (in water anyway) I try to match their show of force with an equal or greater amount of navy units.

On land tho, I just let them do it. Because I have da boyz with me (city states).

Lol, they beg me to cross my borders and I always say no. They tryna scout me, but I see them!

--------------

I feel so great now, because I was about to restart because my empire was in poverty, I lacked food, and my people were unhappy. I was gonna give up.

But I stuck with it. Things got better, and I turned the shit around. My people want for nothing. I feed them, and I gave them something to believe in. They know me as King. The other Civs now bend their knee to me (except Cleopatra wtf is wrong with this broad?)...

Dylan

Yep, it's a common complaint. Other than a very early eureka boost for the sailing tech, and faster access to ships and water trade routes, there's absolutely no reason to do it. Sea tiles don't generate nearly enough resources to justify it, unlike in Civ 5, and it reduces the number of useable land tiles. Plus if you are on the coast ships can take your city, which is a huge weakness.

It's one of the many things that needs a do-over balance wise.

Whaaaaat? Oh man. That's it, I'm restarting.

I went with Victoria and put all of my cities on the shore because I thought I was being SMRT.

Chumley

Banned
Firaxis always takes so long to patch the simplest things. The UI scaling issue on 1440p probably won't be addressed for weeks.

StonedRider

Finished three games, science and domination victories so far.
Look like Firaxis should have delayed this game for another month to polish it.

There are so many little annoying bugs in the game. For example, after you upgrade the plane, it's removed from aircraft carrier or aerodrome planes list. The same happened when I tried to relocate plane to aircraft carrier, which was built in the same turn. The plane disappeared in source planes list, but did not appear in aircraft carrier list. I think this is somehow connected with my late game crashes. I was able to finish the game only after I've left my planes alone.

AI is very stupid sometimes.

My personal wishes about game interface and statistics reports:

- Great persons points sources breakdown report.
- Current trade routes turns left and trade routes available (there is one, but it is working only with present trader unit and shows routes from current city only).
- Previous trade route when choosing new.
- Border growth turns left and suggested tiles.
- Units expences breakdown report.
- Some kind of diplomacy overview. I want to see all diplomatic relations and civilizations resources in one table.
- Ability to collapse information by cities in cities report and sort by yield type or city name (come on, Firaxis!!!)
- Distric yield numbers in cities report. Now we have buildings there, but district yields only present in total by city. Could be nice to see adjancency bounses there too.
- Amenities report. Amenity sources and breakdown by cities. Imported luxuries also.
- Some kind of news archive.
- Rival civilizations hammers, population and number of cities report.
- Ability to lock production in city to district projects. It is so annoying to repeat the same project if you have 8-10 cities in the late game.

The game has great potential. I like it so much more than Civ5.

Scooby

I'm so sad I can't run this game on my laptop! Chances of this coming to console? Maybe I'll upgrade my PC this Christmas, hmm.

I recommend Greece for any newbies. The extra wildcard policy is a great boost (especially early on) and has the advantage of being completely versatile. If you don't know what you're doing, you won't be stuck with a useless fixed benefit.
Hoplites are pretty great for early game warfare and barbarian-stomping.
Gorgo is good for the early game where you'll get lots of culture from barbarian stomping, while Percles will get you some decent boosts in the mid-to-late game.
Amphitheatres are also a cheap way of getting expanding some borders, getting civics and presumably helping a culture victory later on.

The worker chop is seriously unbalanced/bugged. You shouldn't be able to roam the countryside chopping all the forests for huge production boosts. It should be limited to within your boarders.

The AI seems to be pretty bad at war. Victoria failed to take out some crappy city state despite having a huge army.

Are Entertainment districts useful? Devoting an entire district to just 1-4 amenities seems quite wasteful. I assume they're only useful for planting on a useless tile to expand a late-game city.

This will be an amazing games after some balance patches. I expect some serious UI overhauls in the expansion packs too. Some info is just impossible to find (like how long until border expansion, and which tile will it be?)

Top Bottom