• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Ferrio

Banned
Wow and AI offered all it's cities except for one for peace, didn't know they'd actually willingly give them up. Man he was desperate, I wonder if declining him 5 times before that had any barring on it.

I really like peter, the extra tiles make a stonehenge rush much easier and there's a pantheon belief that makes holy sites generate faith from tundra. Once you have your religion you can get food from shrines to shore up that shortcoming.

I really like peter, the extra tiles make a stonehenge rush much easier and there's a pantheon belief that makes holy sites generate faith from tundra. Once you have your religion you can get food from shrines to shore up that shortcoming.
Hmmm, have you had much luck with Peter's trade bonus though? A lot of the Russia package is pretty awesome, I'll agree. But the LUA specifically seems to have a terrible ratio (it's like +1 science/culture per 3 techs/civics that the recipient is ahead by?).

Hmmm, have you had much luck with Peter's trade bonus though? A lot of the Russia package is pretty awesome, I'll agree. But the LUA specifically seems to have a terrible ratio (it's like +1 science/culture per 3 techs/civics that the recipient is ahead by?).
Well Aztec entered industrial when I was barely into renaissance in my last game so it provided some incremental culture and science which is nothing to scoff at.

fresquito

So I just finished my first game. Some thoughts:
  • Standard Map is far bigger than it should.
  • Continental map is garbage. It's just to big squares of land with no strategic interest. Boats only serve to reach the only place.
  • Building seems to be a lot slower than before. Could be a thing with discovering the internet before s. XX, though.
  • Mountains are far more important than they should. I started off a mountain crest to beat everybody into a pulp. I just did two campus and was leading the science race the whole game.
  • Catalina is overpowered with the boost to tourism. It's just too big. Was producing 900 tourism before s. XX
  • I like Eurekas a lot. It makes the early game play super interesting. Even more so than before. On the other hand, the Eureka system loses a lot of punch mid game. Depending on how you are developing, you will be not having many of these. It simply makes more sense to create scientists than going out of your confort zone.
  • I like the lack of general happiness. It makes a lot more sense to create thematic cities.
  • The district system is welcome. As a general ule, it makes the creation of the city more engaging. That said, it also makes the place you appear in to be so much more important to the outcome of the game.
  • Religion game is more interesting than it was before. I haven't fully explored it yet, but it can add a lot to the game.
  • Promotion tree is welcome too. Haven't battled all that much, so I haven't fully explored it, but looks good.
  • Relations with city states are better, but they still feel like something in the background. It's not very active, honestly.
  • I don't like that you can't create works with great people if there's no room. You should be able to have a backlog to trade or something.
  • King seemed too easy. Could be a thing of the setup for this game, though.
  • I'm liking what I've played, but I think they should improve the end game. Make it more active. My cultural victory was quite fast, but still it felt like it was a grind. I was in my own corner, producing great people and wonders and nobody seemed to care all that much.

Is there a way to adjust the climate of the world you are generating like in previous installments? e.g. create a region with mainly tundra and polar areas

nbraun80

Is there something I'm missing about how to build Archaeologists? I have Natural History but I don't have an option to build an archaeologist.

Yeah it's not very clear on that, but I think you need archaeologist museum then you should be able to build them in the city it is in.

Pooya

diplomacy seems as dumb as ever. I got 30 turns of uranium and oil for chocolate and like 5 coins, then I used those resources for war against that faction lol.

Terrorblot

So I've managed to play two games sofar. My first game I was playing on Prince / Continents / Small as Egypt and things went alright, I missed Stonehenge and was annoyed but the other Leaders on my continent (America and Rome) ended up duking it out for most of the ancient eras, America lost Washington to Rome in the first 50 turns. I did manage to get Pyramids but I think I spent far too much time researching wonders, because by the time i was really investing in settlers Rome had pretty much devoured the entire continent. I was almost at a cultural victory and about halfway to a science victory when I ended up winning by score, which was a bit of a tease.

My second game didn't go nearly as well and I'm going to be restarting and trying again when I get home from work. I ended up trying King / Islands / Large as Norway thinking I could take advantage of all the sailing with a strong navy. I rushed for Stonehenge and lost it again, and then lost Pyramids too. I had a boat sailing around very quickly and had discovered almost all of the Civs fairly quickly, the only problem is they all decided to go to war with me after I started claiming so many City States, pre turn 100 I already had three different civs declaring war with me and before long Samaria had successfully snuck a town onto my home island, a turn later a Barbarian scout snagged my settler and I decided I was over for the night. I think I'm going to generate another map, looking forward to seeing if I can make Norway work.

Diplomacy feels like it really needs to get patched. Playing on King it's almost impossible for me to consistently forge friendships or alliances, even after giving numerous gifts and doing my best to avoid anything that the other Civ might dislike.

Volodja

Diplomacy feels like it really needs to get patched. Playing on King it's almost impossible for me to consistently forge friendships or alliances, even after giving numerous gifts and doing my best to avoid anything that the other Civ might dislike.
I managed to get my first Alliance going on Deity with India and then Greece by doing nothing all the time.
Ended with a win through scientific victory in one of the most boring games ever. Warmonger is more fun.

jchap

Got my first diety win with Germany and culture. Hanza + multiple markets are too powerful. My biggest city was captured from Brazil and I shrunk it to pop 6. All other cities I kept at pop 4. All cities had Hanza, market, and theater square and a few had campus as well. Each city had a sister city with the Hanza and markets next to each other. At turn 200 I was making over 300 science and culture and each city had a production of at least 30. I planted city pairs even up in the tundra as their production was more from districts than citizens.

Rad-

So what is everyone's favorite civ/leader so far? I don't necessarily mean the strongest (that would probably be Barbarossa) but the one that you like and fits your playstyle.

Mine is Rome. I like to expand a lot and Rome's abilities fit into that. Also Legions are just really powerful. Game turns into easy mode for a while when you get them.

So what is everyone's favorite civ/leader so far? I don't necessarily mean the strongest (that would probably be Barbarossa) but the one that you like and fits your playstyle.

Mine is Rome. I like to expand a lot and Rome's abilities fit into that. Also Legions are just really powerful. Game turns into easy mode for a while when you get them.

Peter I think, I generally don't go hard after a pantheon but his trait and start bias handle that by themselves. Slow border growth gets in my way far too often with other civs as well.

I feel like Montezuma is vastly unbalanced. I dominated on Immortal with him while struggling to keep up when playing other civs. Eagle Warriors have 8 strength more than warriors and still no upkeep costs and fast tracking districts is super strong.

I hated playing Rome, roads just aren't as strong as they were in Civ V where focusing on city connections was my favourite playstyle and I still needed to build traders and commercials hubs anyway.

Corum

Was it just me who didn't read what the theming bonus actually meant?

I placed relics/art of the same type in the same museum to create a theme, i.e. "Welcome to our Roman Exhibition".

noise36

mmm king used to be my preferred hardness level but finding it way to easy.

AI cant AI very well, useless at warring and the diplomacy is broken.

Been playing mostly on Emperor but I feel the same. Never does anyone like me. NEVER.

Totakeke

I think only museums have theming bonuses this time. Under the great works window you can see theming if there is a bonus.

If wonders don't have theming bonuses then that makes them a lot weaker. I was thinking of playing a game with building a couple of the great works wonders but now I have to question that game plan. There's still limited space for Great Works of Writing, but art museums would be a ton better for storing art and music tend to come pretty late.

I feel like Montezuma is vastly unbalanced. I dominated on Immortal with him while struggling to keep up when playing other civs. Eagle Warriors have 8 strength more than warriors and still no upkeep costs and fast tracking districts is super strong.

Yeah I agree Monte is ridiculous, but the game didn't feel that much different from when I was playing Saladin. Rushing spaceport district with builders is lol. I still built most of the builders myself though since Eagle Warriors don't retain their abilities post-upgrade.

Don't have a favorite civ yet and with the AI civs being poor at combat make the military civs unfair to judge. If there was actual strategic warfare when combating the AI, roads would be a lot more important to have.

Window

So how does the great merchant's ability to grant a copy of a luxury resource work? I activated the ability on a tile outside of my region and I didn't seem to get the luxury.

Totakeke

So how does the great merchant's ability to grant a copy of a luxury resource work? I activated the ability on a tile outside of my region and I didn't seem to get the luxury.

You should had to have it activated on a commercial district and not outside your region. IIRC it grants you a new luxury resource such as jeans or lipstick which you can trade with other civs.

Window

You should had to have it activated on a commercial district and not outside your region. IIRC it grants you a new luxury resource such as jeans or lipstick which you can trade with other civs.

I don't follow. It says "Grants 1 free copy of the luxury resource on this tile to your capital city" followed by "Must be one a tile with a luxury resource". Which seems kind of pointless if it can only be activated within your region (as all it does is save you the trouble to build on that tile to exploit the resource).

Grief.exe

One of the Civs I am friendly with declared a war on a civ that is unfriendly to me and settled some cities in my region that I would like to take back.

What are my best options for declaring war?

Could I make a deal for a joint war? I could never get into an alliance with them for whatever reason.

Totakeke

I don't follow. It says "Grants 1 free copy of the luxury resource on this tile to your capital city" followed by "Must be one a tile with a luxury resource". Which seems kind of pointless if it can only be activated within your region (as all it does is save you the trouble to build on that tile to exploit the resource).

That sounds different from the other great merchants that grants luxury resources. If it's based on the tile it's standing on, then you didn't see the amount of luxury resources increase?

spiritfox

It's another merchant. This one just copies the luxury it's activated on. You should be able to activate it on luxuries in neutral territory, but it's mostly for trading.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I hated Civ5, and while I feel they are building a bit too much on it in Civ6 as well, I am happy that they are rectifying a few of the mistakes (like global happiness) and bringing in a respected designer from complicated board games. Anyways, i just have some questions about stuff from you that have played it.

How many civilizations can you play with at the same time?
What mechanics are used to limit expansion this time around?
Will the AI expand or just sit around on one or two citites?
Are the AI better at the tactical elements this time around? I found them by far the most challenging in Civ4 which I liked, but Civ5 was completely broken in this regard.
How aggressive is the AI in early game? Will it attack you, or can you still get around most of the game almost without militay units?

Was going to wait for a sale to get the game, but must admit i have an urge to play a new civ-game, so considering jumping in if the game is better this time around.

Totakeke

I hated Civ5, and while I feel they are building a bit too much on it in Civ6 as well, I am happy that they are rectifying a few of the mistakes (like global happiness) and bringing in a respected designer from complicated board games. Anyways, i just have some questions about stuff from you that have played it.

How many civilizations can you play with at the same time?
No clue, I'll let someone else answer.

What mechanics are used to limit expansion this time around?
Increasing settler and district costs, luxury resources mostly acting as happiness and each copy of a resource can only be utilized by four cities.

Will the AI expand or just sit around on one or two citites?
They do expand relatively fast, but they also often seem like they have no idea on how to use their settlers.

Are the AI better at the tactical elements this time around? I found them by far the most challenging in Civ4 which I liked, but Civ5 was completely broken in this regard.
It's probably still significantly worse than Civ4 but marginally better than Civ5. Unfortunately it feels like the barb AI is more competent than the civ AI at combat.

How aggressive is the AI in early game? Will it attack you, or can you still get around most of the game almost without militay units?
Yeah you'll most assuredly get into war, no way you can live without military units or a way to buy them fast. Barbarians will make sure that you build early military. Yes they'll declare war on you early.

Window

I'm checking the resources tab in the reports menu and there doesn't seem to be any change in the luxury resources I gain after activating this ability. Tried it on neutral territory on a luxury resource I don't have and then on my own territory on a resource I do already have.

Pooya

I couldn't even build an embassy let alone alliance until I started dropping nukes left and right lol.

I have trouble getting offshore oil platforms built, they're quite far off coast and I can't even buy the tiles, can you build them somehow on a tile you don't own?

Totakeke

I couldn't even build an embassy let alone alliance until I started dropping nukes left and right lol.

I have trouble getting offshore oil platforms built, they're quite far off coast and I can't even buy the tiles, can you build them somehow on a tile you don't own?

Nope.

Just encountered a "game breaking" bug in that I cannot proceed. My single missionary is surrounded by Russian troops and the game will not let me move or continue to the next turn. Has anyone encountered this? Any ideas on how to proceed?

I2oRs

Palmer_v1

Just encountered a "game breaking" bug in that I cannot proceed. My single missionary is surrounded by Russian troops and the game will not let me move or continue to the next turn. Has anyone encountered this? Any ideas on how to proceed?

Delete the unit or load an older autosave?

Otherwise, no.

Maledict

Delete the unit or load an older autosave?

Otherwise, no.

You can't delete religious units for some weird reason. Playing as Kongo I ended up with tons of them, and because the AI hadn't upgraded their religion at all they were utterly useless for me. just had to put them to sleep all over my territory.

Beat my first game as Rome on Prince on an 8 player map. Had India and Greece on the same landmass as me. Greece had Gorgo in charge and kept annoyingly going to war with me so I bought a bunch of Legions and wiped her out. I decided I wanted the whole place for myself and took out India as well. After that everyone else on the other landmass hated me but it didn't matter. The last 150 turns were just a boring waiting it out before I colonized mars in 1950. Some thoughts:

The AI still needs a lot of work, both combat and diplomacy wise.

Its probably still me getting used to it but the UI doesn't look or feel as good as V. Map scrolling and dismissing notifications don't always work and can make things very frustrating.

Not a fan of the cartoony style at all. When units fight each other its like they are trying as hard as possible to make it look like a FTP mobile game.

I like the policy and government types, its probably my favorite implementation of culture in the series. Upsetting that late game ideologies don't have the same impact though on diplomacy.

Districts are a lot of fun, I enjoy the hell out of min maxing and they implemented them great into the game. Exact city locations matter far more than ever and I love that.

Love the soundtrack, hearing how the theme of your Civ evolves though the eras is fantastic. Main theme is okay, don't understand the love for it. Baba Yetu is still king.

I like how you have multiple continents on one landmass. I was wondering how good those continent specific abilities would be.

Nitpicks.

Sean Bean is trash and none of his lines are good. Half the quotes just say, "Here's the definition of this tech". The little wonder videos and paintings from 4 and 5 were far better as well.

City UI needs to show me what each building and wonder provides when I hover over them, Its annoying to have to go to the civilopedia to remind myself what they do.

Hovering over a map tile to see what it provides should have the info instantly pop up.

Overall my first game started out as a lot of fun fighting Greece and then took a nosedive as I just waited it out for about 3 hours before victory. Im going to try out Victoria on a huge map next time and see how it goes. Is there an option to set the number of landmasses? Two fat landmasses isn't very interesting to explore.

Totakeke

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the combat animations, what's wrong with them? Sure they're over-exaggerated but they're interesting to watch and with enough variety. For example anti-tank units have different animations depending on what they're fighting against, they use guns against other infantry and their bazookas when fighting tanks.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the combat animations, what's wrong with them? Sure they're over-exaggerated but they're interesting to watch and with enough variety. For example anti-tank units have different animations depending on what they're fighting against, they use guns against other infantry and their bazookas when fighting tanks.

That's cool, I only saw fighting up to infantry. Watching the little swordsmen do backflip moves was too cartoony for me.

Top Bottom