• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

spiritfox

Are Entertainment districts useful? Devoting an entire district to just 1-4 amenities seems quite wasteful. I assume they're only useful for planting on a useless tile to expand a late-game city.

Zoos and stadiums extend their effects to 6 tiles just like the industrial zone buildings, and the district itself adds +2 food to any internal trade route to that city. It's niche but it's not useless, especially if you're screwed on luxuries. I would like to see a buff to it though, I barely build it.

Zoos and stadiums extend their effects to 6 tiles just like the industrial zone buildings, and the district itself adds +2 food to any internal trade route to that city. It's niche but it's not useless, especially if you're screwed on luxuries. I would like to see a buff to it though, I barely build it.
Yeah, they need a buff. They should generate tourism or something.

Corum

Is there a way to prevent city growth in this one without having your settlers work bad tiles

Producing a settler will reduce the total number of citizens in a city by 1.

Also, shamelessly taken from Reddit:

Can you stop your city from growing like in Civ V?
  • /u/aceofspades0707 says, "In the city screen, click the circle next to the food icon twice so it appears as a little red circle."
  • /u/Percinho says, "Setting the food to a red circle doesn't stop your city from growing, it just seems to stop taking food into the equation for tile usage. I have a city that had red circled food that was still 14 turns to grow because the best tiles for other aspects also had food on them. I've not been able to find a way to stagnate your city without manually locking citizens in place."

So am I missing something or is putting a city to a coast tile a bad decision in this version? I don't see that many benefits (because you can just build a harbor to make ships), only major negatives like enemy ships attacking your city. Water resources seem pretty meh in Civ 6 as well.
I still do this out of habit admittedly (and it triggers the eureka for Sailing), but I think the Venetian Arsenal's double naval unit production may require the city to be sea-side with a harbor, because the naval unit shows up in the harbor and the copy shows up in the city.

I build entertainment districts quite often. Nobody wants to fairly trade luxuries to me :(

ghostjoke

Banned
Turn 1:
Maybe I should play peacefully this time.

Turn 100:
Fuck you all you're all gonna die.

tAZ6HCC.png

Every damn game.

Ferrio

Banned
Turn 1:

Turn 100:

Yep, and it's not for a lack of trying. There's just so many times the cpu can declare surprise war on me before I need something in return for fucking up my economy for decades. Nope sorry no peace treaty this time cause you thought you could take my city, you'll lose your capital and maybe you'll learn this time.

Turn 1:

Turn 100:
Yep, and it's not for a lack of trying. There's just so many times the cpu can declare surprise war on me before I need something in return for fucking up my economy for decades. Nope sorry no peace treaty this time cause you thought you could take my city, you'll lose your capital and maybe you'll learn this time.
They never learn. Leaving them alone doesn't make them any wiser about their aggression either, they'll continue to peck at me with denouncements and usually refuse to trade fairly with me. They might even decide to war with me anyway despite being reduced to one city.

Total annihilation is the only solution. You're only allowed to declare war on me once.

I don't follow the above rule for every session but it is tempting.

DevilFox

Few months ago I promised myself to wait for the first big expansion before getting into Civ 6. I lied.

Turn 1:

Turn 100:

Pretty much this, they're more aggressive this time. I'm still discovering the game, playing as Rome, 100+ turns in. I'll probably switch to another Civ on the next play, but first.. let's download the Giant Earth Map with True Start Location :D

Convinced a buddy to get this and we're going to try a multiplayer tonight (just us verse AI). In V we could use the team function to ensure close starts but there's no teams in VI from what I heard (haven't really looked at multiplayer yet). Is there any way to ensure close start with another player?

StayDead

I just won a domination victory in turn 114 thanks to Cythia. Man they've got to nerf her. The mix of her cavalry x2, the power of selling units and just cavalry in general she feels insanely broken. I had too big of an army so had no choice but to sell cavalry to buy buildings it felt like.

For me it usually goes:

Turn 1:
"I'm going to try a science or religion victory this time. I just won't murder everyone, that way I won't auto-win on culture before I get there."

Turn 45:
"Hey you need to stop trying to convert my cities, okay Pericles?"

Turn 46:
"You just told me you were going to stop and now you have 25 undefended Missionaries standing in my territory with their faces pressed up against the lances of my Knights."

Turn 75:
"Okay, Pericles is dead, I can probably still reign this in and still do a science win. Aaaaand now China is declaring a surprise war on me because they're mad I got some wonders off of Greece's corpse."

Turn 150:
"I guess a cultural victory is just what we call it when you've killed everyone who was trying to build a culture."

For me it usually goes:

Turn 1:
"I'm going to try a science or religion victory this time. I just won't murder everyone, that way I won't auto-win on culture before I get there."

Turn 45:
"Hey you need to stop trying to convert my cities, okay Pericles?"

Turn 46:
"You just told me you were going to stop and now you have 25 undefended Missionaries standing in my territory with their faces pressed up against the lances of my Knights."

Turn 75:
"Okay, Pericles is dead, I can probably still reign this in and still do a science win. Aaaaand now China is declaring a surprise war on me because they're mad I got some wonders off of Greece's corpse."

Turn 150:
"I guess a cultural victory is just what we call it when you've killed everyone who was trying to build a culture."

I think the promise system in general is broken in the game. Every time I ask the AI to not convert my cities, they agree to promise, and then the next turn they break the promise. Why even make that promise then? And don't get me started on how dumb it is that I get hit for breaking promises for having a pikeman within my borders but 3 hexes from the overly nervous AI.

Civ 6 diplomacy is basically right up there with the AI from the Sylandro Probe in Star Control 2. It seems reasonable , if somewhere weird, for a short while then it goes nutters.

Don't try to negotiate or work with it. Either kill it or ignore it-those are your only realistic options.

mkenyon

Banned
Civ 6 diplomacy is basically right up there with the AI from the Sylandro Probe in Star Control 2. It seems reasonable , if somewhere weird, for a short while then it goes nutters.

Don't try to negotiate or work with it. Either kill it or ignore it-those are your only realistic options.
Huge glaring downside that is killing the game for me. It was never really good before, but I've just spent too much time in Paradox games.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
got it today, my first impression honestly has been pretty poor but i am pretty pissed off at the fact that i thought i was doing okay and then out of nowhere trajan declared a surprise war on me and stole a city.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I think the promise system in general is broken in the game. Every time I ask the AI to not convert my cities, they agree to promise, and then the next turn they break the promise. Why even make that promise then? And don't get me started on how dumb it is that I get hit for breaking promises for having a pikeman within my borders but 3 hexes from the overly nervous AI.

I see the "promises" from the AI as just that. They are "promising" to do that. If they break their promise, you know that they are not trustworthy and must be cleansed with religious books or nukes as you like.

Basically once I am lied to by a Civ, I know they will not ever keep their promises and I proceed to wipe them out. Liars never get into my good graces. Especially in these games. Fool me once shame on me, Fool me twice? Your Civ is ash.

I see the "promises" from the AI as just that. They are "promising" to do that. If they break their promise, you know that they are not trustworthy and must be cleansed with religious books or nukes as you like.

Basically once I am lied to by a Civ, I know they will not ever keep their promises and I proceed to wipe them out. Liars never get into my good graces. Especially in these games. Fool me once shame on me, Fool me twice? Your Civ is ash.

The question is, if they break their promise does it have any measurable impact?

I'm assuming the intended functionality is that they get a diplomatic penalty with other AI civs for having broken a promise. The thing that should happen, though, is the player should get instant Cassus Belli to declare a War of Fuck That Guy.

Yusaku

Is there something I'm missing about how to build Archaeologists? I have Natural History but I don't have an option to build an archaeologist.

Arulan

I don't see alliance on this Civilization's screen and we are declared friends.

It shows up in the trade menu with that Civ. It didn't show up for me at first with the friendship I had during the time of the civic completion, but after that friendship expired and we became friends again it appeared.

Dot-N-Run

I have a museum and a university. Still no archaeologist. :(

It's not the art museum you need to build them, it is the other building you can build at the same time (archaeology museum I think). You can only have one or the other in a single city however, can't get both.

jholmes

The question is, if they break their promise does it have any measurable impact?

I'm assuming the intended functionality is that they get a diplomatic penalty with other AI civs for having broken a promise. The thing that should happen, though, is the player should get instant Cassus Belli to declare a War of Fuck That Guy.

I agree. Perhaps not an instant casus belli, but it should lessen the warmongering penalty. As it stands now it impacts the player to break promises, but it's a one-way street.

spiritfox

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/59phzk/game_breaking_exploit_no_seriously_it_is_free/

The issue is that Armies/Armadas (the military units that are actually 2-3 copies of the same unit stuck together into a more powerful unit) cost less gold than the gold you get by selling/deleting them.

I just bought a Destroyer Armada for 6400 and sold it for 9700. Unlimited times. In one turn.

This is crazy. Firaxis really needs to nerf the amount of gold gotten from disbanding units.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I already did the 1 turn one.
I just really like to exploit games for some reason.

That's fine! It's your game, you can break it how you want to. Go nuts, IMO. Hopefully the balance patches will iron out the crazy stuff that exists (Horseman economy and infinite (?) gold with armadas) and make the game better for it.

Totakeke

Turn 278, 1814 AD Immortal science victory with the Aztecs.

Here's my city that built two of the three Mars projects.
v7dpxtQ.png

Only had to go into wars twice after getting surprise declarations, otherwise the AIs mostly left me alone. Air units make late game war so much less painful. Making an airport to airlift units takes ridiculous amount of production though. I think I also countered like 40 spies because I had a ton of gold sitting around and everyone wanted a piece of it, by the end of the game it was like every other turn.

So cultural, science, and religious victories down. Maybe I'll go back to another cultural victory, venturing more into the great people and great works game. It seems like the main source of great people points are building the districts, and I haven't been building many districts in my games. Also the district projects are probably an important source of points, no idea how much they give though. I tried building Broadway and there was no theming bonus? There needs to be more information on the wonders.

Started a game with teddy.

Got two horse tiles right off the bat adjacent to my starting point.

Leveled up to Iron, lucky me, two iron tiles too!

Leveled up to gunpowder, two more tiles.

Ive never had this much luck so far with strategic resources. Nobody ever had a chance.

Top Bottom