• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
How many civilizations can you play with at the same time?
No clue, I'll let someone else answer.

What mechanics are used to limit expansion this time around?
Increasing settler and district costs, luxury resources mostly acting as happiness and each copy of a resource can only be utilized by four cities.

Will the AI expand or just sit around on one or two citites?
They do expand relatively fast, but they also often seem like they have no idea on how to use their settlers.

Are the AI better at the tactical elements this time around? I found them by far the most challenging in Civ4 which I liked, but Civ5 was completely broken in this regard.
It's probably still significantly worse than Civ4 but marginally better than Civ5. Unfortunately it feels like the barb AI is more competent than the civ AI at combat.

How aggressive is the AI in early game? Will it attack you, or can you still get around most of the game almost without militay units?
Yeah you'll most assuredly get into war, no way you can live without military units or a way to buy them fast. Barbarians will make sure that you build early military. Yes they'll declare war on you early.

Thanks! Anybody know the answer to the first question? I always liked to play Civ4 with the 50civ mod, that is the best limit on settler-spamming that Ive seen since you will only ever be able to build one or max two citites before being walled in by others, hopefully it is possible to play with these conditions in civ6 as well.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Just encountered a "game breaking" bug in that I cannot proceed. My single missionary is surrounded by Russian troops and the game will not let me move or continue to the next turn. Has anyone encountered this? Any ideas on how to proceed?

I think I was able to use the delete button on my keyboard to get rid of a missionary.

So what is everyone's favorite civ/leader so far? I don't necessarily mean the strongest (that would probably be Barbarossa) but the one that you like and fits your playstyle.

Mine is Rome. I like to expand a lot and Rome's abilities fit into that. Also Legions are just really powerful. Game turns into easy mode for a while when you get them.
I haven't played as all civs yet, but I very much like Scythia. I really like the double light cavalry production and Tomyris' vampiric powers are super awesome. I don't have to field as large an army since they'll snowball really hard, and my units can keep themselves high in HP by selectively killing off weakened units.

Somewhat unfortunately though, the units that Horsemen and Saka Horse Archers upgrade to are rather far up the tech tree; Cavalry take a long time to get to, as do Field Cannons. Being able to carry my old army through is usually worth it though, given that they've earned a lot of promotions by that time.

Just encountered a "game breaking" bug in that I cannot proceed. My single missionary is surrounded by Russian troops and the game will not let me move or continue to the next turn. Has anyone encountered this? Any ideas on how to proceed?
There should be an option to make the missionary go to sleep or skip turn, which should let you proceed.

And yeah, for some reason religious units cannot be disbanded which is incredibly dumb.

There should be an option to make the missionary go to sleep or skip turn, which should let you proceed.

And yeah, for some reason religious units cannot be disbanded which is incredibly dumb.

You are right. There usually is an option for "do nothing", but hitting space is not working for some reason.

For those asking, for whatever reason spacebar doesnt allow me to skip a turn. I tried hitting enter as well to end the turn, but that doesnt do anything. I had to revert to an earlier save.

Window

drive those camels over water.

Thanks. So you can only establish international trade with other cities who also have a ocean tile?

Edit: That doesn't seem to be the limitation. For some reason I can only establish trade with a single specific overseas city on the shores. Not any other one.

Totakeke

Thanks. So you can only establish international trade with other cities who also have a ocean tile?

Edit: That doesn't seem to be the limitation. For some reason I can only establish trade with a single specific overseas city on the shores. Not any other one.

I don't know the exact mechanics but there are caps based on distance and they change over eras or techs. I also don't know if having a harbor district makes any difference.

Brokun

Thanks! Anybody know the answer to the first question? I always liked to play Civ4 with the 50civ mod, that is the best limit on settler-spamming that Ive seen since you will only ever be able to build one or max two citites before being walled in by others, hopefully it is possible to play with these conditions in civ6 as well.
I always play Civ on the huge map, which in Civ 6 defaults to 12 civs. I forgot to check if i could manually add more.

Totakeke

Found a post on this.

TVgbH2N.png

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
There's a thread on reddit that has a fix for this, there are a lot of tweaks you can make in the game's XML files:

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/58u6hp/civ_vi_fixes_megathread/

Some of these are pretty good. Disabling the logos at the beginning is awesome and the transition is seamless it just starts up cleanly. Great fix there.

I'll need to mess more with the edge scrolling stuff. Want I want ideally is to have the top edge scroll not trigger around the corners where the buttons are, but trigger everywhere else along the top. If I have to make the hotbox for the scroll up only in the middle top of the screen maybe that is what I'll do. Needs lots of tuning.

Totakeke

Thanks for all your help. It also appears you can only establish a single overseas trade route per harbour.

I don't have that impression. Each commercial district and harbour district adds one to your trade route capacity, you should be free to assign the trade routes however you want.

MorshuTheTrader

Neo Member
Just finally got the time to play this today. As a long time fan, I'm really enjoying most of the changes they've made. I especially like the Eurekas, which actually makes a lot of your choices change how you play. I also really like the changes they've made to the workers.

Looking forward to playing more later.

Window

I don't have that impression. Each commercial district and harbour district adds one to your trade route capacity, you should be free to assign the trade routes however you want.

Just tested this using three cities. City A (no harbour) is where my trader was originally located. To trade with the target overseas city I could travel via the harbour of City B (which has no present overseas trade routes). City C also has a harbour and is already trading with the target overseas city. Moving the trader from A to C, I would expect the trade route to be available (via harbour in C) but it wasn't. Interestingly the option to travel via the harbour of City B also disappeared despite being pretty close to City C. All cities in this scenario have trading posts and spare trade route capacity (7/9).

Edit: Just moved the trader to City B and it can use the harbour again to establish the international trade route.

Still can't figure out Colaeus' ability though.

Totakeke

Just tested this using three cities. City A (no harbour) is where my trader was originally located. To trade with the target overseas city I could travel via the harbour of City B (which has no present overseas trade routes). City C also has a harbour and is already trading with the target overseas city. Moving the trader from A to C, I would expect the trade route to be available (via harbour in C) but it wasn't. Interestingly the option to travel via the harbour of City B also disappeared despite being pretty close to City C. All cities in this scenario have trading posts and spare trade route capacity (7/9).

Edit: Just moved the trader to City B and it can use the harbour again to establish the international trade route.

Still can't figure out Colaeus' ability though.

So City C is already trading with the target city, and you can't establish another route from City C with the target city? You can only have one trader per each specific combination of origin and destination city, that's true regardless of land or sea trade.

Window

So City C is already trading with the target city, and you can't establish another route from City C with the target city? You can only have one trader per each specific combination of origin and destination city, that's true regardless of land or sea trade.

Yes, you're right. Tested it by building a harbour in a city with several potential overseas trade routes (which I didn't have till now) and I can use the same harbour multiple times. I maybe wrong (again) but it seems you don't need to have finished constructing a harbour to have trade routes pass through it. Just beginning construction opens them up.

BrianD

Neo Member
I assume it's because otherwise you would always try to delete them before losing a theological combat, therefore not giving the bonus to the religion of your enemy, and the malus to yours.
However you might argue that you could probably say the same thing about any military unit about to die anyway, so I don't really know if that's the reasoning behind it...

Totakeke

So I checked and found out you can have up to 20 civs in a huge map. That's the same number as the amount of unique leaders in the game right now.

I assume it's because otherwise you would always try to delete them before losing a theological combat, therefore not giving the bonus to the religion of your enemy, and the malus to yours.
However you might argue that you could probably say the same thing about any military unit about to die anyway, so I don't really know if that's the reasoning behind it...

The loss from losing a religious unit is far greater than exp gain. But really they shouldn't allow for disbanding of units as easy as they do now.

Yeah disbanding is currently pretty stupid. The gold return on disbanding needs to either be reduced or removed, and one shouldn't get a gold return for disbanding outside of friendly territory anyway. Disbanding religious units should reward 0 gold, I am totally okay with that.

Totakeke

Yeah disbanding is currently pretty stupid. The gold return on disbanding needs to either be reduced or removed, and one shouldn't get a gold return for disbanding outside of friendly territory anyway. Disbanding religious units should reward 0 gold, I am totally okay with that.

But disbanding a dying religious unit inside your own territory is something you definitely want to do unless you don't care about your religion.

KorrZ

Just won my first game. Domination victory on King difficulty.

AI seems to be really bad at science across the board. I won around turn ~450 and was still fighting spearmen with my modern tanks, mechanized infantry and planes. Most advanced unit I saw from the AI was musketmen....

But disbanding a dying religious unit inside your own territory is something you definitely want to do unless you don't care about your religion.
I wasn't ruling out disbanding entirely :O just specifically that the gold return on disbanding is pretty dumb, and that if religious units can disband, they should just disband for 0 gold instead of Firaxis trying to find some fair price for them or something.

Randdalf

I lost my 2nd game, was going for domination on King difficulty, as Sumeria, and it was going swimmingly until I realised America had an unassailable culture advantage. Apparently even the nuclear apocalypse couldn't convince tourists to stop going to America. I was 1 HP from capturing Washington... but my Modern Armor died from contamination.

MoonFrog

Finally got into it last night (got deep/won my first game) and lost 12 hours (4 to 4) :p. I don't like the way the AI uses soldiers, settlers, etc. and the diplomatic game seems lacking to me.

Also, this game deals with urbanization better with the districts increasing and eating up city land, but the food game still seems antiquated at the end. Local farming isn't what drives modern city growth and Civ needs to find a way to evolve the food game more. Like make food increasingly an empire wide commodity and growth driven by that and commercial/environmental forces with different governments having differentiated capacities for forcibly settling people. Idk. Always bothers me about late game Civ.

Religious struggle was okay, but it needs to interface with diplomacy better rather than just being its own little game.

I lost my 2nd game, was going for domination on King difficulty, as Sumeria, and it was going swimmingly until I realised America had an unassailable culture advantage. Apparently even the nuclear apocalypse couldn't convince tourists to stop going to America. I was 1 HP from capturing Washington... but my Modern Armor died from contamination.

Lol classic

inherendo

This sounds horrible in every way imaginable.

If you want to prevent city spam build out your cities. I am referring to civ5. having a single city most be the most boring thing in the world.

Window

I had one other Civ and 6 city states on my continent (on a small map.size). A bit more crouded than usual I presesume?

Brokun

Just checked. You can set 19 AI + yourself, so a total of 20 civs per Huge map.

Giever

I'm thinking about picking this up from Best Buy since I have the GCU discount. The discount is only available for the physical edition of the game, not the digital download version, and it says absolutely nowhere on their page that it redeems through Steam, so, uh.. just curious if anyone can confirm with certainty that the physical edition of Civ VI redeems on Steam. I'm not interested in getting a standalone disc.

Edit: Alternatively, Green Man Gaming has the digital edition for the same price as the GCU discount, definitely on Steam, but it's only for the Mac version (for some reason). Pretty sure that should redeem fine, but it's just frustrating to not be positive.

SRG01

Hey guys, I have quick question: I'm about to take a 14h flight in a couple of weeks and would like to play Civ6 to pass the time. My laptop is a OG Surface Pro, so would that be able to handle Civ6 at all?

Steam says min reqs are AMD 5570 or nVidia 450, but I have no frame of reference for that.

Ozium

Who is best leader for a science victory, it's the last type I need...

also why does every game I'm in with Brazil lead to them declaring war on me 25 turns in... it's happened as Scythia, America, Russia and I forget the last one..

Totakeke

also why does every game I'm in with Brazil lead to them declaring war on me 25 turns in... it's happened as Scythia, America, Russia and I forget the last one..

I'm going to say Aztecs.

I can't launch the game. The preparing to launch window appears and then disappears. I never see Civ 6 show up in the task manager.

I just reinstalled windows. Reinstalled steam and pointed it to my steam games on a different hard drive.

I can launch other games.

Verify integrity doesn't help. It hits 100%, and show successfully validated.

I deleted the game and downloaded it again too.

Any ideas?

Totakeke

I can't launch the game. The preparing to launch window appears and then disappears. I never see Civ 6 show up in the task manager.

I just reinstalled windows. Reinstalled steam and pointed it to my steam games on a different hard drive.

I can launch other games.

Verify integrity doesn't help. It hits 100%, and show successfully validated.

I deleted the game and downloaded it again too.

Any ideas?

Disable Windows Defender?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Kongo due to high pop and the bonuses for relics/statues.

Brazil, Aztecs, China, and Spain are easy to aggro by everyone because of their agendas. Brazil hates other civs with higher Great Persons, Aztecs luxuries, China wonders, and Spain religion, and because those often appear on other players naturally, they easily get aggravated.

France is occupying one of my districts so that I can't use my great person there and we are allies.

How do I get them to move? *shakes fist*

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Any leader that gets the Religion bonus that lets you buy Campus buildings with Faith. After having that religion tenet for a while I had so much faith by the end of my game that I had completed Future Tech 5ish times as well as the rest of the science tree. And I had stopped bothering with Science at some point and just focused on production. Communism as your late game government to get those projects going is VIP.

Top Bottom