• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Raiding needs to be nerfed. You can cripple an enemy effectively irreparably without really losing many units or needing to capture cities just by pillaging; it just takes too long to recover from. The AI can't cope at all and to be honest while human players could I think it would force everyone in the early game to go militarist and kill off attempting early culture or science plans.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Finally got a game where at least one civ is my BFF into the atomic age. Playing as Germany and doing commercial and industrial district spam. I made it a point to not war with anyone no matter how much they pissed me off. And gandhi can go straight to hell, that motherfucker.

Here's a screenshot. Count all the industrial districts, lol. The nice thing about hansas is that they get +1 adjacency bonus for BONUS resources, and +2 adjacency bonuses for commercial districts. It gets pretty crazy when stacked, and then adding the +100% adjacency economic policy card.

JTm4GYt.jpg

Since factories and power plants have an AOE effect, even cities founded on snow can be useful.

FXppbEs.png

For the new page . I still don't know if I should disable the score victory or keep it for the complete experience.
What difficulty level are you using? In my first game (on Prince difficulty as Rome), I reached a science victory at around turn 430. Make sure you have enough production to build districts, city improvements, and components fast enough. It might also help if you build the special space district in multiple cities. That way you can build the last three components, needed for Mars, in parallel.

Spl1nter

I think I am going to take a break from the game until it has had a couple patches. I really like the direction the series has taken but the AI and diplomacy has hit an all time low. The AI is somehow even worse at managing its units than civ5. Coupled with it not knowing how to build cities makes the game just a slog. It's comical how many units you can completely annihilate with range. This is after 3 wins on emperor, I just have no interest in beating the AI on immortality deity.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think I am going to take a break from the game until it has had a couple patches. I really like the direction the series has taken but the AI and diplomacy has hit an all time low. The AI is somehow even worse at managing its units than civ5 and just does not know how to build cities. It's comical how many units you can completely annihilate with your range.

Especially with multiple observation balloons next to an artillery.

(Try it out before you take a break)

Metal B

I get that barbarians have always been a thing, but it feels so unusual having to deal with them past the industrial era.
This sounds cool. The developers should have a feature, where barbarians scale with the least developed civilization and have more modern units. They could become bandits, pirates and later terrorist, so represent the scum of the earth.
Maybe even have them in the late game, so that civilization have to team up and destroy them, since they are a threat to anybody (or have other civilization support them (by gift them units), so you could cribble another nation indirectly with war. Russian and US style. )

Spl1nter

Especially with multiple observation balloons next to an artillery.

(Try it out before you take a break)

Best way to kill all those waves of horseman. Which reminds me that the way the game calculates military scores is screwing with the AI since it prefers to spam and keep low tech units.

Saganator

Playing as Egypt on Prince, I'm in the Industrial era and everyone else is 2 eras behind me. Is this normal for Prince difficulty? I'm not doing anything crazy, just a campus in most of my cities. I'm also getting like 95% of the Great People. I was planning for a science victory but I'm so far ahead of everyone I feel like just steam rolling everyone with Infantry vs their crossbow men and knights.

Egypt is pretty crazy. I make so much gold I can buy workers and settlers whenever I need them. With the +3 worker builds policy, my cities get developed way quicker than the AI and it seems to give a huge advantage.

Playing as Egypt on Prince, I'm in the Industrial era and everyone else is 2 eras behind me. Is this normal for Prince difficulty? I'm not doing anything crazy, just a campus in most of my cities. I'm also getting like 95% of the Great People. I was planning for a science victory but I'm so far ahead of everyone I feel like just steam rolling everyone with Infantry vs their crossbow men and knights.

Egypt is pretty crazy. I make so much gold I can buy workers and settlers whenever I need them. With the +3 worker builds policy, my cities get developed way quicker than the AI and it seems to give a huge advantage.

Yes, that is (sadly) normal for Prince difficulty in Civ 6.

Has anyone done a detailed breakdown of warmonger penalties? I am particularly interested in attacks on city-states. It would be cool if the penalty scaled based on how many envoys a given AI has with the city-state (I also personally think it should scale with geographic distance and trade routes, such that, before the industrial era, an AI with no relationship to a remote city-state doesn't care what happens to that city-state).

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Oh wow, I didn't see this earlier.

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/5947kp/civ_vi_mechanics_how_district_production_cost/

Basically district costs don't increase once you have the number of the type of district of an average player in the current game. You get a max of 25% cost reduction depending on how many fewer districts of that type you have in your civ compared to the average player.

The main cost increase driver is instead the number of civics or techs that you have completed. That kind of means that if you want to have an empire that has a ton of districts, it would be in your best interest to slow down both your science and culture rate.

As a side note you can lock in cheaper districts by putting them down immediately and only finishing them afterwards. That's actually a pretty good idea for planning districts as well.

That's super interesting. So start building your districts as soon as possible, even if you won't finish them for hundreds of years, just get them down on the map and started to lock in that cheap early cost. It also makes growing city populations quickly even more important, since number of districts per city is tied to city pop, so if you want to place and lock in lots of cheap districts you need to grow the city as fast as possible and early on.

It also kind of explains the problems I'm having in my current game going for a science victory as Spain, where I flooded my civilization with campuses and econ districts early on to greatly boost science. I have one more rocket to launch to win the game but I'm at freakin 2012, far later than I should be on a Prince difficulty game, yet I've been researching Future Techs for like the past 100 years. The problem I faced was not enough production to build late districts and wonders, especially the expensive space ports and rockets you have to for the science victory. It almost seems that, knowing this now, it is better to go early production / econ and choose a victory path late, especially science, because the science victory is almost MORE dependent on production than science itself.

Totakeke

That's super interesting. So start building your districts as soon as possible, even if you won't finish them for hundreds of years, just get them down on the map and started to lock in that cheap early cost. It also makes growing city populations quickly even more important, since number of districts per city is tied to city pop, so if you want to place and lock in lots of cheap districts you need to grow the city as fast as possible and early on.

It also kind of explains the problems I'm having in my current game going for a science victory as Spain, where I flooded my civilization with campuses and econ districts early on to greatly boost science. I have one more rocket to launch to win the game but I'm at freakin 2012, far later than I should be on a Prince difficulty game, yet I've been researching Future Techs for like the past 100 years. The problem I faced was not enough production to build late districts and wonders, especially the expensive space ports and rockets you have to for the science victory. It almost seems that, knowing this now, it is better to go early production / econ and choose a victory path late, especially science, because the science victory is almost MORE dependent on production than science itself.

Also keep in mind that unique districts do not only cost half the production to build, they also don't count towards the population requirement towards districts as well. Civs with unique districts are worth taking a closer look at.

Won my first game last night. I played as Victoria on a prince standard continental map. Took me about 420 turns? I got the culture victory, but I wasn't necessarily actively attempting to get a cultural victory. I was also the lead in science and domination, and was second in religious victory. I had tried to keep science and culture per turn at about the same level, but the production requirements of science made it harder to get that victory than culture. By the time I got all of the required tech and started production I had already accumulated about 75% of the tourists needed for cultural victory.

I'll have to try on a harder difficulty but honestly other than some sketchiness with the religious stuff that I eventually battled back from (why didn't I start an inquisition earlier?) and some rebellion from war weariness (from wars I didn't start) things were pretty easy.

I'm enjoying the slingerz-for-days opening. It seems to slightly reduce my odds of popping goody huts and hitting certain recon-related boosts, but it more than makes up for that by shoring up my barb defense, accelerating barb-related boosts, and rolling into an archer army that can stomp AIs that are too close or too aggressive.

Few things I'm still unclear on:

1. I have to have a citizen working an ammenity tile to get it, right? And then only that city gets it? I heard something about 4 cities get it, but how then does it decide which cities?

2. What's the point of different ammenity resources? Is there any difference between having 2 pearls vs 1 pearl and 1 cotton?

3. When you trade is the city you're trading with getting anything? In V, which was my first Civ, they made it very clear what each civ gets from a trade route, but now does only the civ that owns the trader get anything?

4. There's a lot of policy cards that buff certain districts, but then civs that replace those districts. If I'm playing Greece and build Acropolis districts do they get the bonus for 100% adjacency for theater districts policy? What about the ability where you can use faith to buy buildings in a theater district?

Mengy

I actually want to put scout back as the first thing I build. I stopped doing so and in very game since I've seen way less of the world.

I always build scout first. For the goody huts, and I like knowing the lay of the land quickly, plus city placement is much more important now than in previous games so I want to find the really good spots quickly and grab them before the AI. The sooner I have the map uncovered the more prepared I am to spot barb huts when they pop up too.

Hari Seldon

Few things I'm still unclear on:

1. I have to have a citizen working an ammenity tile to get it, right? And then only that city gets it? I heard something about 4 cities get it, but how then does it decide which cities?

2. What's the point of different ammenity resources? Is there any difference between having 2 pearls vs 1 pearl and 1 cotton?

3. When you trade is the city you're trading with getting anything? In V, which was my first Civ, they made it very clear what each civ gets from a trade route, but now does only the civ that owns the trader get anything?

4. There's a lot of policy cards that buff certain districts, but then civs that replace those districts. If I'm playing Greece and build Acropolis districts do they get the bonus for 100% adjacency for theater districts policy? What about the ability where you can use faith to buy buildings in a theater district?

1 & 2. You have to "work" a luxury resource to add it to your civilization. So if your country has coffee in its borders, you don't get the coffee unless you put a plantation on it. The city that this is closest to gets the tile bonus for coffee (probably like +1 gold?), but the more important thing is that coffee is added as a luxury resource. Each luxury resource increases Amenity in up to 4 cities. Or you can trade it. If you have 4 cities and have 2 coffee, you only get +1 Amenity. So it is best to trade an extra coffee to someone else for a luxury resource you don't have.

3. I don't think the city you are trading with gets anything except maybe tourism? I think there is a UI thing that shows you if the destination city gets anything but I have never seen it say that it does.

4. Yes if a civ specific building replaces a standard building then all the same bonuses apply. The Acropolis replaces the Theater district and gets the same bonuses. I'm not sure about the faith to buy building thing, I assume it would.

1 & 2. You have to "work" a luxury resource to add it to your civilization. So if your country has coffee in its borders, you don't get the coffee unless you put a plantation on it. The city that this is closest to gets the tile bonus for coffee (probably like +1 gold?), but the more important thing is that coffee is added as a luxury resource. Each luxury resource increases Amenity in up to 4 cities. Or you can trade it. If you have 4 cities and have 2 coffee, you only get +1 Amenity. So it is best to trade an extra coffee to someone else for a luxury resource you don't have.

3. I don't think the city you are trading with gets anything except maybe tourism? I think there is a UI thing that shows you if the destination city gets anything but I have never seen it say that it does.

4. Yes if a civ specific building replaces a standard building then all the same bonuses apply. The Acropolis replaces the Theater district and gets the same bonuses. I'm not sure about the faith to buy building thing, I assume it would.
So if I have 8 cities and 2 coffees then still only 4 cities get an amenity? Or is it that if I have 8 cities and 2 coffee then all 8 cities get 1 amenity, and if I need more amenities working another coffee won't do anything? And if that's the case, then if I have 9 cities and 2 coffee what decides what city gets left out?

If there's a doc or in game page I'm missing you can redirect me there so I'm not asking so many questions. I'd like to be able to trade luxuries that aren't doing me anything but currently in always teetering on the edge so whenever another civ proposes a trade for a luxury I always decline.

Edit: never mind, found a good article
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/civ-6-...how-get-amenities-and-raise-your-citys-564803

I get that barbarians have always been a thing, but it feels so unusual having to deal with them past the industrial era.

I think they should have unique units, especially in post-industrial eras. I had a city that went without amenities for too long and three helicopters popped out. Past Civ games have had unique barb units and I think it just makes more sense overall.

Mengy

One thing I miss, and it's kind of a small thing, is the Hall of Fame where it records your best scores after each game. I also miss the map replay after the game is over too. I think this is the first Civ game ever to not have either of those?

Totakeke

Huh, if you have 2 coffees than 8 cities would gain 1 amenity each from coffee because one city having 2 coffee does nothing, luxuries must be unique for a single city, right?

Also you don't have to actively work a luxury resource to obtain it as an amenity. All that's needed is the improvement.

Maledict

Huh, if you have 2 coffees than 8 cities would gain 1 amenity each from coffee because one city having 2 coffee does nothing, luxuries must be unique for a single city, right?

Also you don't have to actively work a luxury resource to obtain it as an amenity. All that's needed is the improvement.

No - duplicates of resources don't do anything except for trading. It's very confusing as it sounds like they should, but they don't.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

One improved coffee resource in your empire gives 1 amenity to 4 cities. An additional improved coffee resource in your empire gives no further amenities.

If you have 5, 6, 7, or 8 cities, then you need coffee, and some other, different luxury in order for all the cities to obtain 1 amenity.

Gotchaye

Duplicate luxury resources not providing amenities is really just about the only thing limiting empire size, since districts don't get more expensive once you're at the average. I don't think tech costs scale, right? But luxury resources aren't that big of a constraint even because obviously as your empire expands you'll tend to get access to more luxuries.

Shane86

Norway are such dicks in this game. Was a declared friend since the start. Around 1800 A.D.I look at the their page and everyone has denounced them, hmmm. When I try to renew our friendship they say no. Few turns later.....SURPRISE WAR. Dicks. Now to pillage everything they have MWAHAHA.

Ferrio

Banned
Duplicate luxury resources not providing amenities is really just about the only thing limiting empire size, since districts don't get more expensive once you're at the average. I don't think tech costs scale, right? But luxury resources aren't that big of a constraint even because obviously as your empire expands you'll tend to get access to more luxuries.

Tell that to my current game. I got 3 luxury resources among like 10 cities in the 1700s. The people are not happy.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Tell that to my current game. I got 3 luxury resources among like 10 cities in the 1700s. The people are not happy.

There are loads of other sources of amenities you can use. The zoo in an entertainment district has an area of effect and can give amenities to any other city within 6 tiles of range. So does the stadium.

There are also policies that give you amenities, like garrisoning a unit, or having a certain number of districts.

Can't wait for the UI mods to start rolling out. I really want one that gives you an on screen notification of when a tech/civic you're researching has progressed enough to where it can be popped with a boost.

I keep forgetting to swap out.

Totakeke

Nah, it doesn't limit your empire size that much, but it'll restrict how large your best cities can grow since amenities are distributed based on need. Unless you can force all your other cities to not grow, your biggest cities will have less possible amenities awarded to them due to the automatic spread of amenities.

Still, the main advantage of tall empires is to build wonders and hitting specific eurekas earlier, otherwise they still pretty much lose out on everything else. Probably most fitting for culture victories since wonders provide a good amount of tourism.

ZZMitch

Can't wait for the UI mods to start rolling out. I really want one that gives you an on screen notification of when a tech/civic you're researching has progressed enough to where it can be popped with a boost.

I keep forgetting to swap out.

I want EUI from CIV5 back so I can get a notification when ever a city grows in population or adds a tile!

Ferrio

Banned
There are loads of other sources of amenities you can use. The zoo in an entertainment district has an area of effect and can give amenities to any other city within 6 tiles of range. So does the stadium.

There are also policies that give you amenities, like garrisoning a unit, or having a certain number of districts.

Using that stuff, they're still pissed (still researching zoo though). Lack of luxuries and people who want to trade with them *hurts*.

Totakeke

Hmm? DiStrict cost goes up,with every district you build, but doesn't change due to your tech or social levels?

Oh wow, I didn't see this earlier.

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/5947kp/civ_vi_mechanics_how_district_production_cost/

Basically district costs don't increase once you have the number of the type of district of an average player in the current game. You get a max of 25% cost reduction depending on how many fewer districts of that type you have in your civ compared to the average player.

The main cost increase driver is instead the number of civics or techs that you have completed. That kind of means that if you want to have an empire that has a ton of districts, it would be in your best interest to slow down both your science and culture rate.

As a side note you can lock in cheaper districts by putting them down immediately and only finishing them afterwards. That's actually a pretty good idea for planning districts as well.

Time to do a district heavy game. I also realized I have forgotten about the general district adjacency bonuses for most districts in my games so far. That explains why I always thought the adjacency bonuses civic cards were horribly weak. :p

Top Bottom