• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash of Clans |OT|

Booties

Banned
Yeah, we only search on Weds and Saturday. Its a good schedule.

I forgot to report here that after winning 10 in a row we tied a 50 win clan 121-121 in a 45 person war.

Two attacks were started within a minute of the final buzzer. It was the most entertaining poop of my life.

Ocho

Haven't played this game but clan wars sound fun. Will give it a try and maybe join the GAF clan if I stick with it.

JoeNut

Upgrading walls is a bitch, they currently cost me 500k each. How anyone goes beyond that point I can't imagine

red13th

Wow this game changes completely at Town Hall level 6. I was playing it super slowly never attacking anyone just building my defenses (never got attacked too). After I upped all my buildings to the limit I upgraded to Town Hall 6 and now I get attacked all the time :(

gutshot

Apparently there is going to be an update. Supercell made a comment about how poor the economy is. Probably collectors lvl 12 and 13.

http://forum.supercell.net/showthread.php/374426-Seattle-stream-news-list

That is good news. I'm finding it quite a grind just to finish off upgrades in TH8. And I know town halls 9 and 10 are even worse. The loot was really flowing when they had that week with cheap collector boosts. It needs to be at that level all the time, given the costs to upgrade things now.

Wow this game changes completely at Town Hall level 6. I was playing it super slowly never attacking anyone just building my defenses (never got attacked too). After I upped all my buildings to the limit I upgraded to Town Hall 6 and now I get attacked all the time :(

Town Hall 7 is where the game peaks. The troops start to get really good.

There is also a loot penalty for attacking lower town halls than yours. 10% for attacking one town hall lower and 50% for attacking two town halls lower.

So now that you are a th6, th7's can come through you and only suffer the 10% penalty instead of 50% when you were a th5.

red13th

Town Hall 7 is where the game peaks. The troops start to get really good.

There is also a loot penalty for attacking lower town halls than yours. 10% for attacking one town hall lower and 50% for attacking two town halls lower.

So now that you are a th6, th7's can come through you and only suffer the 10% penalty instead of 50% when you were a th5.

That sucks.

Nuklear

Banned
I just got up to TH6 and man those people that raid with that healer thing seems so OP. It just seems like your defense can never be good enough to fully fend off attacks unless the attacker fucks up somehow. It's never on how good of a design you made.

JesseZao

I just got up to TH6 and man those people that raid with that healer thing seems so OP. It just seems like your defense can never be good enough to fully fend off attacks unless the attacker fucks up somehow. It's never on how good of a design you made.

That's why people opt to just place their th on the outside or in a corner. Trophy snipers will take out the th and leave your resources alone. Then you have a shield. Win.

Yeah at TH6 and for a while in TH7 there isn't shit you can do against a Giant + Healer raid. I'm TH7 with maxed Mortars and one maxed Air Defense and I still usually lose over 60% of my base against that strategy. It's the most OP strategy at this level.

Booties

Banned
That is good news. I'm finding it quite a grind just to finish off upgrades in TH8. And I know town halls 9 and 10 are even worse. The loot was really flowing when they had that week with cheap collector boosts. It needs to be at that level all the time, given the costs to upgrade things now.

At TH6 you should be able to raid for more than you will ever lose in like 2 attacks. So fuck defense, just keep attacking and upgrading whatever you feel like. 6 and 7 are fun for raiding, not fun for high level wars.

Just started TH8. WHOOOOOOOP. Can't wait for lvl 5 troops.

At TH8 level 4 Giants feels like they are made out of paper I drop 20 of then and shift to another part of the base and by the time I look back the final 1 was dead..thank god lvl5 finishes tonight.

Haha I'd join but I don't think I have the shields. I only have like sevenhundred some...

When I get home i can drop the trophy requirements if Waffle doesn't

Yeah, any gaffer can join.

The requirement is to keep out random bads. Though that probably is not necessary.

I will remove it when I get off work if generald doesn't beat me to it.

Booties

Banned
I love that lull between town halls when all I have to upgrade is collectors and lagging research. I have so much purps to waste so I just make dragon armies and rampage all day for minimal gains.

Yeah, any gaffer can join.

The requirement is to keep out random bads. Though that probably is not necessary.

I will remove it when I get off work if generald doesn't beat me to it.

You don't play all day at work? You'll never make it to the big leagues that way!

I'm at TH7 for a little over a week now.
I think TH7 is great fun.
Raiding is easy as cake. I can easily raid a million of each in a little less than an hour. (globins and archers and wall breakers between 1200 and 1400 trophies)
And you can also kill some lv 8, 9 and even 10 bases(3 stars pretty much impossible though) if you look for the right ones.
10 dragons, 3 lighting spells and then search for bases where you can easily get to the air defense or some of the air defense is getting upgraded. And you can kill one air defense with the lighting spells.

I think I'll stay at TH7 for a long time.

Booties

Banned
I'm at TH7 for a little over a week now.
I think TH7 is great fun.
Raiding is easy as cake. I can easily raid a million of each in a little less than an hour. (globins and archers and wall breakers between 1200 and 1400 trophies)
And you can also kill some lv 8, 9 and even 10 bases(3 stars pretty much impossible though) if you look for the right ones.
10 dragons, 3 lighting spells and then search for bases where you can easily get to the air defense or some of the air defense is getting upgraded. And you can kill one air defense with the lighting spells.

I think I'll stay at TH7 for a long time.

TH7 is great, but I'm always yearning for better troops. When you attack with dragons it's better to have 20 archers and either another dragon in your CC or some powerful wizards. Use the archers to take out some of the bullshit buildings and create a straighter path for your dragons to follow to the core of the base. That's usually where the ADs are. As they begin to take AD damage, drop a heal or a rage. Then use another heal or rage as needed. Easiest way to 3 star TH 8. Barb king is also good and clearing a path to the center.

How do clans work? I never joined one.

Wafflecakes answered with the basics, but here is the lengthier version.

You have the ability to build a "Clan Castle" on your base (if you haven't already.)

When you join a clan, on the chat window there will be two tabs now, Global and Clan. You can request Clan Castle troops from your clan-mates. They will sit in your clan castle (not take away from your army camps) and defend your base if you were to get attacked.

If you would like to use those troops for offense, you can do that also... When you are attacking a base you will see an option to drop your clan castle. When you do that, everything that is in your CC will come pouring out.

Your clan can also chose to fight in Clan Wars, a new game mode. When one of your co-leaders starts a Clan Wars search, it will match your team up with another clan. You will have the first 24 hours to scout the other teams bases and plan your attacks and also donate to your clan mate's war clan castles for defense. After that 24hr period it will be War Day. You now have 24hours to attack two people on their team trying to get as many stars as possible in each attack. At the end of War Day, the team with the most stars wins.

Booties

Banned
I learned the other day while fighting goblins that if you drop your clan castle flag, then surrender the battle before they are all released, then you will retain those unreleased troops. The ones that came out are still gone.

I learned the other day while fighting goblins that if you drop your clan castle flag, then surrender the battle before they are all released, then you will retain those unreleased troops. The ones that came out are still gone.

Yup, troops usually come out in strength order. So if you want to just release some gobs or archers from your CC then you can quickly quit as they are deploying.

red13th

Hmm I see. I only have 700 trophies so when I get some more I'll join the NeoGAF clan. I don't raid other people since it breaks my shield, so I guess I'll be able to share a bunch of troops.

Nuklear

Banned
You have to raid if you want to make improvements quicker. The raiders can only take 25% of your stuff which you can get back easily in one raid.

I was like you at first about not breaking my shield but it's really that not big of a deal since they don't get everything.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Yeah now that I get raided all the fucking time it's starting to look that way.

The way I tend to manage my time is to use up most of my shields to maximize production, then before it runs out start raiding and keep raiding hard out until I get raided myself and get another shield, or get bored/need to do something else.

That way you get at least one raid in on your terms before you get raided again and feel compelled to wait out your whole shield.

red13th

I tried raiding some random dude and he killed all my dudes, I got like 30k gold (pennies). I hate this game. I think I'll upgrade my gathering place thingies that store dudes so I can have more when raiding.

I tried raiding some random dude and he killed all my dudes, I got like 30k gold (pennies). I hate this game. I think I'll upgrade my gathering place thingies that store dudes so I can have more when raiding.

Everyone goes through that feeling when they start. It takes a while to get the strategy and upgrade your troops/camps.

The best tip I can give you is that the "next" button is your best friend.
You'll always find the perfect base to raid if you're patient enough.

Booties

Banned

What army do you use? The best resource gathering army is archers and barbarians. Usually between a 60-40 to 50-50 split. (more archers)

Start by just training a whole bunch of Barbarians and Archers (50/50 split) and hitting the Next button until you find a "collector raid." This is where all the money that you see available is just sitting in the collectors (which are sitting outside the walls and easy to get to 90% of the time.)

You can tell the money is in the collectors by a few ways:
1.) The gold mines will be full when the pile next to the cart has a lot of gold in it. (not just 3 tiny pieces of gold, like overflowing with gold.)

400px-Clash_of_Clans_-_BIGGEST_LOOT_BATTLE_-_Goblin_Raid!_MUST_WATCH.jpg

These gold mines are stuffed to the rafters. They have not been "collected" by the village owner in quite some time.

2.) The elixir pumps will be full. You can see how much is in them by looking in the glass.
la-fot12.png

One is full, one is empty

3.) Check the main storages inside the base. If they look empty, and the collectors look full, then you are good to go.

In your spare time you can experiment with different armies that involve penetrating the base and trying to destroy as much as possible and get to the inner storages. But "collector raiding" is by far the must lucrative. By. Far.

Start by just training a whole bunch of Barbarians and Archers (50/50 split) and hitting the Next button until you find a "collector raid." This is where all the money that you see available is just sitting in the collectors (which are sitting outside the walls and easy to get to 90% of the time.)

You can tell the money is in the collectors by a few ways:
1.) The gold mines will be full when the pile next to the cart has a lot of gold in it. (not just 3 tiny pieces of gold, like overflowing with gold.)

400px-Clash_of_Clans_-_BIGGEST_LOOT_BATTLE_-_Goblin_Raid!_MUST_WATCH.jpg

These gold mines are stuffed to the rafters. They have not been "collected" by the village owner in quite some time.

2.) The elixir pumps will be full. You can see how much is in them by looking in the glass.
la-fot12.png

One is full, one is empty

3.) Check the main storages inside the base. If they look empty, and the collectors look full, then you are good to go.

In your spare time you can experiment with different armies that involve penetrating the base and trying to destroy as much as possible and get to the inner storages. But "collector raiding" is by far the must lucrative. By. Far.

Ha, i have never noticed this.

Upgrading my walls to lvl 8 then it´s th 10 for me. Max all of my defenses except for archer towers at level 10 all of them.

Booties

Banned
Ha, i have never noticed this.

Upgrading my walls to lvl 8 then it´s th 10 for me. Max all of my defenses except for archer towers at level 10 all of them.

HOW THE FUCK are you TH 9 and didn't know that?

A couple more pro tips for finding abandoned bases:

1. Look at their league in the top left corner. If they do not have a league placement, then they probably haven't been on in a while to make a simple raid.

2. Look at their shrubbery. Most players will remove the "gem box" asap. If that is there also, then they are likely inactive.

3. Look at the builders huts. If you see them sleepign "zzz", then they are inactive and the collectors are full.

4. Know what each level looks like. If someone has a lot of money and you can't tell if it's in the collectors or the storage for some reason, you will find knowing the collectors level useful. If they are low level and they have a lot of money, then it's probably in the storages. If they are all high level and they have a lot of available money, then the money is in the collectors.

#4 is pretty nuanced, but good to keep in the back of your mind.

The problem is when there is 75k-100k of each resource available and you need to determine where it is. The gold mine shows 3 little pieces of gold on the pile.

It may all be in the mines, it may not. There isn't enough money available to show an animation on the main storage either. So its a roll of the dice.

I usually skip dollar amounts that low, but now that I'm a TH10 the loot is so horrible I will go into a collector raid for $75K because I have to if I want to survive or spend another $100K nexting.

The problem is when there is 75k-100k of each resource available and you need to determine where it is. The gold mine shows 3 little pieces of gold on the pile.

It may all be in the mines, it may not. There isn't enough money available to show an animation on the main storage either. So its a roll of the dice.

I usually skip dollar amounts that low, but now that I'm a TH10 the loot is so horrible I will go into a collector raid for $75K because I have to if I want to survive or spend another $100K nexting.

I don't think I am going to leave TH8 tbh the price for upgrades are already way too ridiculous and I am not a man generally known for patience.

red13th

That's a lot of useful info.
I raided with a mix and match of several different units, I'll start training Barbarians and Archers then.

JesseZao

I don't think I am going to leave TH8 tbh the price for upgrades are already way too ridiculous and I am not a man generally known for patience.

Just follow the coc rule of thumb: wait until everything is maxed out at your current th level.

I still need to get king lvl 4 & 5 and the two dark elixir unit upgrades. No reason to stay at a level once you maxed it out.

Just follow the coc rule of thumb: wait until everything is maxed out at your current th level.

I still need to get king lvl 4 & 5 and the two dark elixir unit upgrades. No reason to stay at a level once you maxed it out.

That's pretty much what I have been doing..well mostly besides walls and storage, but I feel I won't be able to stand the grind anymore after TH8 especially with how shitty the raiding gets the higher you go up.

Booties

Banned
Haha, no dude you misunderstood. I meant to say i did not know about the full gold mines and elixir when i attack bases.

That's exactly what I was talking about. How the hell did you not know that? Do you gem everything?

Don't forget to include the time the TH upgrade takes into account. nothing like having 2-4 unused builders for 8+ days while your TH upgrades.

[combined construction hours remaining / (# of builders - 1) ] = TH upgrade time

When they are equal, you should upgrade.

JesseZao

Don't forget to include the time the TH upgrade takes into account. nothing like having 2-4 unused builders for 8+ days while your TH upgrades.

[combined construction hours remaining / (# of builders - 1) ] = TH upgrade time

When they are equal, you should upgrade.

Except that approach doesn't take upgrades into account. At least for me, the dark elixir upgrades are my final bottleneck (@7 atm). I've finished all of the building upgrades a week or so ago.

Maybe 7->8 is a special case, but I max everything I can before looking to upgrade my town hall.

That's a lot of useful info.
I raided with a mix and match of several different units, I'll start training Barbarians and Archers then.

I'm at TH7 and I'm raiding with a few wallbreakers(5-6), a few wizards(7-10), a few giants(5) and about 50 goblins and 70 archers.
I really like that composition because I can penetrate most TH6 and some TH7 bases and still have enough goblins and archers to take out all the mines of abandoned th8, 9 and 10 bases.
Takes about 20-30min(now that wizards take 4mins to build) to rebuild this army. Today I raided 4 times in 1,5 hours and got about 700k gold, 650k elixir and 500 dark elixir and gained 25 trophies.

I tried only barbarians and archers but it didn't work out well for me.

Top Bottom