• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Jiffster

Neo Member
Lots of complaints about the EB card - nothing stopping you using it yourself though. EB v EB on your side of the map is a solid defense.

Ninja Dom

I'm just saying - if you can't beat em, join em. Level the playing field :)

Nah. Don't agree with that, "The only reason I'm buying a gun is because he has a gun", thinking.

The last month of Clash Royale (before this weeks balance update) has been the worst month in the year the game has been out. Simply cos of Elite Barbarians. Seeing match after match of people using one specific overpowered card again and again isn't fun. Picking it and using it too isn't fun or skilful.

Jiffster

Neo Member
Nah. Don't agree with that, "The only reason I'm buying a gun is because he has a gun", thinking.

The last month of Clash Royale (before this weeks balance update) has been the worst month in the year the game has been out. Simply cos of Elite Barbarians. Seeing match after match of people using one specific overpowered card again and again isn't fun. Picking it and using it too isn't fun or skilful.

cant beat em join em suggestion only meant as a stop-gap til next balancing as opposed to quitting the game entirely. Development is ongoing with games like this so i was just surprised to see so many people say they're quitting because they weren't happy with the nerf on EBs. Seems extreme when the issue is obviously going to be monitored with analytics and addressed in future updates.

Wasnt meant to be antagonistic or flippant. genuine call to stick it out.

as an aside, it's not that I disagree that they're too powerful, they are - but there'll always be the possibility that new cards introduce imbalances - part and parcel to on the fly tuning.

If you cant beat em, join em (for the time being).

Gun analogy was a bit extreme dude :D

Sande

Picking it and using it too isn't fun or skilful.
I don't fully agree about that last part. Just randomly tossing EB out there without suitable back up is begging to give the opponent (up to) 4 elixir advantage.

EB doesn't (or at least didn't) have enough strong counters but it's never been the brainless auto win it seems to be painted as.

I left the clan and uninstalled the game; I wish there were some way to donate all my cards before leaving a clan. I just didn't really have anywhere near the enjoyment from the game that I felt I needed given the time investment.

Thanks to the folks here who helped during the early stages!

Dazzler

Executioner seems like a solid card so far. I want to use it, but Bowler already fulfills that role in my deck and is higher levelled

wonderpug

Neo Member
Executioner seems like a solid card so far. I want to use it, but Bowler already fulfills that role in my deck and is higher levelled

One of my biggest complaints is how long it takes for new cards to actually come into play. Even if you buy the "special deal" for a new card in the shop, you're still going to be left with an underlevelled card you can't use for weeks or months.

Sushen

With all respects. that's because your friends sucks.

You cant really go to level 3000+ very quickly. you need to be a little OP and you need to actually wait and see what your opponent is going to play first. do not give him a chance to stop your attack and counter it with a strong push and u have nothing to defend .

Right now I am 3200 level. with legendary of every card almost level 2 even ( except for the guy who look like super Vegeta and the log)

This game is very fun if you know what you are doing. and its much more fun than clash of clan. the drop rate in that game is amazing.

I am one of those guys who stopped playing clash of clan after clash royale has been released. I only go to collect elixir now. and was playing that for 2 years
You're missing my point. It's not a matter of skills as those of who sucked (in your description) have higher trophy counts using lesser level cards.

The point is leaving no space for people to look forward to beyond a certain point.

Leveling up a common card to 12 costs 50,000 golds, which is a lot for F2P players. Sure, there will be exceptions to this and some will still excel. But the amount of exceptions gets much smaller.

I'm not criticizing the game as I like it still, but raising a point before supercell misses the timing to address it.

The game thrives when it's mainstream where even not the best players can have fun.

Dunlop

That EB nerf barely did anything

They kinda ruined the game for me at this point, but I was not really a hardcore player to begin with.

8/10 decks I play will have EB and skeletal army and the highest success rate for me to counter that is to have the same thing. Very boring

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I admit that I hate fighting EB, and I will also admit that I think they require less skill to use well that other cards, thus adding to their "cheapness". But by now I think most people account for them in their decks and they are not THAT hard to stop, provided you don't overextend your elixir (they are the most punishing card in the game BY FAR).

On another note, I wish SC would refund challenge costs if you reach 12 wins. Isn't that what Hearthstone did, iirc?

Finally, I'm still not really feeling the new card. I don't know what deck he would be good in. His cost is just so high, and he's easily shut down by a lot of cards. I've seen people use him to support giants/RGs but I can't help but think that some other card would be more useful.

totowhoa

Banned
Watched Pong wreck grand challenge with hog / tornado / EW. Seems like those cards play really well together. Excited to give my level 3 executioner a spin this evening

b33r

I admit that I hate fighting EB, and I will also admit that I think they require less skill to use well that other cards, thus adding to their "cheapness". But by now I think most people account for them in their decks and they are not THAT hard to stop, provided you don't overextend your elixir (they are the most punishing card in the game BY FAR).

On another note, I wish SC would refund challenge costs if you reach 12 wins. Isn't that what Hearthstone did, iirc?

Finally, I'm still not really feeling the new card. I don't know what deck he would be good in. His cost is just so high, and he's easily shut down by a lot of cards. I've seen people use him to support giants/RGs but I can't help but think that some other card would be more useful.

I have tested him out in my golem deck instead of muskateer, it's not bad since he takes out minions/horde much faster. He may stay in the deck once I get him properly leveled.

Though my deck is harder to use in this fast pace goblin barrel meta.

Executioner is kinda like a Bowler that can target aerial but is worse against ground due to lack of knockback.

Seems like a decent card once I get it to Lv5. My Musketeer's sitting at Lv9 and will be there for a long time.

Watched Pong wreck grand challenge with hog / tornado / EW. Seems like those cards play really well together. Excited to give my level 3 executioner a spin this evening

Pong can beat anybody lol...
faced 6 executioneer around 3.8....
he's good vs horde and cards like that..

My new deck is:

1. Miner lvl 2
2, Minions lvl 11
3. E-Wiz
4. Bowler lvl 4
5. Zap
6. Ebarbs lvl 9...will be lvl 11 in 1 week when I have gold!
7- Ice spirit
8. Skelly army

any changed you guys would do?

I have Ice Wiz lvl 2...

I tryed switching my army...and i lsot some games:(

I could put ice wiz instead of bowler and play Inferno tower...but that make the deck so defensive...

I tryed Poison instead of skelly army....was not good...

my ICE G will be lvl 7 soon...is it rly better than ice Spirit?

any suggestions for switching skelly army...long term ill used a common in that spot or a rare...

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Ever since the last ios update (I think) this game has been putting a little notification style bar on the bottom of my screen telling me good morning whenever I'm tabbing thru my open apps in the morning. What the hell is this? I'm about to uninstall this over it.

hollomat

Banned
GAF (#QYYQCQ) has 3 open spots. Let me know if anyone wants to join. Just reply to this or PM me and we will open it up.

Doesn't matter how many trophies you have, only reason we have it closed now is so we don't get spammed with clan invite requests.

Hearthstone does this, but only because there's two way to enter arena there, real money, or in game currency. If you reach 7 wins or more, you get back the in-game currency (150 gold) you spent on the entry as well as a card pack and maybe some other rewards.

To do this, supercell would need to allow you to pay either gold or gems for challenges.

Man its tough to play Miner in Ladder...such a great tourney card...but in Ladder...meh...

I wish i lvled my Giant or Golem...

only tank I have is Giant Skelly lolll....

FINALLY got the LOG in my crown chest...such a good versatile card.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
way too many lvl 12 commons with lvl 9 rare at 3.8k.....

nothing I can do with 10-7-4-2 vs them lol

If you are playing at those trophy levels with those cards, then know you are punching way above your weight. I enjoy the challenge of battling higher leveled players, as long as they aren't being dicks about it.

Concentrate on leveling one card at a time, and you should find that you ratchet up your trophy count slightly with each upgrade.

I found the cards that gave me the most impact when I was in a similar situation were my direct damage cards like fireball and arrows which allowed me to one shot troops of higher levels more easily. From there I moved to my tanks, giant and miner, which gave me a little more breathing room before moving onto my other cards.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
As a LavaHound player, Executioner is scary af.

When the dude pops the Hound, the pups automatically lose half of their life.
140.jpg

Budi

So, I'd be looking to join one of the Neogaf clans if possible, after this clan chest is done. It has become quite clear to me that my current clan is bunch of little kids, so as a 32 year old that makes me bit uncomfortable. Especially following the discussions there. What are the requirements for joining? How much trophies do I need and what I need to do to be considered active? Im playing very regularly at the moment though, since I'm pretty new to the game still. Started after christmas and currently staying around 2200 trophies.

As a LavaHound player, Executioner is scary af.

When the dude pops the Hound, the pups automatically lose half of their life.
140.jpg
Yeah, given up on hound for now, they also bunch up and do no dmg at all. Also damages the baloon you put up behind the hound. You can still win ofc but it's an uphill battle.

hollomat

Banned
So, I'd be looking to join one of the Neogaf clans if possible, after this clan chest is done. It has become quite clear to me that my current clan is bunch of little kids, so as a 32 year old that makes me bit uncomfortable. Especially following the discussions there. What are the requirements for joining? How much trophies do I need and what I need to do to be considered active? Im playing very regularly at the moment though, since I'm pretty new to the game still. Started after christmas and currently staying around 2200 trophies.

You can join our clan GAF. No trophy requirements. All you need to do is donate at least once a week.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Yeah, given up on hound for now, they also bunch up and do no dmg at all. Also damages the baloon you put up behind the hound. You can still win ofc but it's an uphill battle.
I'm running an Inferno Dragon behind my hound so I'm less impacted but it completely shuts down the hound even if I can get my miner to whack him.

Agent

I had a disappointing season ending. I had a new personal best of 4977 and was one win away from 5000. Then I went on a losing tilt to around 4600 which was frustrating. Ended up around 4800. Going to try again for the 5000 mark this season.

I know most players don't enjoy season reset but I do as it's a time to mess around with new decks and not have to be super try-hard mode. I've been messing around with a fun little deck this morning that has had some good success.

Goblins / Ice Golem / Tornado / Electro Wizard / Fireball / Hog Rider/ Musketeer / Executioner; Average Elixir: 3.5

It is a little bit of a top heavy deck, but all of the cards go really well together. Tornado/Ice Golem help distract for the Executioner/Electro Wizard/Musketeer to clean up. Hog Rider/Fireball are your primary damage dealers. However, if you can get any of the other cards to the tower it's solid damage dealt. It's been successful against many deck types. The only one I haven't come across yet is a Lava Hound deck, but it should do well against it.

Kioshen

The range and mini stun are a bit much. It did have a bigger impact than I originally thought but an executioner behind a tank is like having OG MM behind it. Very hard to remove by conventional spells, you need a second unit to distract it and then somehow deal with a big mass of HP hitting on your tower. At least I'm seeing a lot less of bait decks now.

Dazzler

The range and mini stun are a bit much. It did have a bigger impact than I originally thought but an executioner behind a tank is like having OG MM behind it. Very hard to remove by conventional spells, you need a second unit to distract it and then somehow deal with a big mass of HP hitting on your tower. At least I'm seeing a lot less of bait decks now.

Typically, I'd wait until the glass cannon locks on to tower and drop something to deal with it then, but Executioner's attack still damages units placed adjacent to it

it's a nightmare to deal with

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I normally run a rocket in my deck so I guess I don't have to always deal with him straight up. And I usually also run EW, so I tend to drop the EW on the exec's head and deal with him like that. Will have to try him more in my deck. Wish I had him at tournament levels.

Kioshen

Rocket is the only spell that can deal with it one shot iirc. Fireball nor lightning do significant damage to it so you have to deal with it with units.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Still need more

I think health wise they are okay now.

I can mostly deal with them ok. If I was to nerf anything more it would be attack speed and/or attack damage. They are ridiculous if they make it too your tower and are caught short, more punishing than any other card in the game by far.

They need to sort out Graveyard to make it more consistent.

I've had Graveyard placed on the same spot across matches and I always used Guards. The results vary from my tower taking a thousand HP or maybe 2 hits.

Executioner is not really that OP, but if you rely on skarmy and horde then you gonna suffer and have to adjust your deck. He is a pita to deal with though, which is why i joined team exec.

I'm running an Inferno Dragon behind my hound so I'm less impacted but it completely shuts down the hound even if I can get my miner to whack him.
Ah I see, hound was never my main but lavaloon was pretty good since the buff. Now not so much.

Ninja Dom

It's just occurred to me, I'm coming up to 6 months being at King Level 10. I turned Level 10 in August last year.

Also, while I was still Level 9 I got to Legendary Arena, also August last year before I turned Level 10. In almost 6 months I've managed to go from 3000 trophies to 4300 trophies.

That is quite a slow progress but it shows you at how that grind comes once you hit Legendary.

broz0rs

I don't think executioner is OP either, but it has some funky mechanics that are just annoying as shit such as the mini stun, and the axe hitting units that are ganking him from behind.

b33r

Yeah, but a card with funky mechanics adds to the meta imo. The meta since he arrived lessened the gob barrel decks and adds a bit more diversity. So far since his release I've encountered way more different decks. And I like diversity over constant same decks.

Budi

So now that the clan chest is done, I'd be willing to join in a clan with Gaffers.

You can join our clan GAF. No trophy requirements. All you need to do is donate at least once a week.

How do I find this? All clans named GAF I found were just clans with one person.

Edit: Scrap that, found it. Can't request a join though.

hollomat

Banned
So now that the clan chest is done, I'd be willing to join in a clan with Gaffers.

How do I find this? All clans named GAF I found were just clans with one person.

Edit: Scrap that, found it. Can't request a join though.

Try again. I just opened the clan up. We keep it closed otherwise we get requests to join every 5 mins.

In your request mention that you're from Neogaf so we know it's you.

hollomat

Banned
Clay, if you're still active let me know and I will reinvite you. It's so hard to tell if people are active/inactive and you had 0 donations/crowns so I assumed you were inactive.

If that's not the case though, just post here and we can get you back in.

Top Bottom