• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
at least with this game it doesnt cost you coins to play, you can play and lose as much as you want, with CoC it cost you just to look through bases to attack!

This game used to cost money per game, but they removed that fee in one of the earliest patches. Was pretty silly a move tbh.

Karu

Floating around 1100 no matter what, so I build a high cost deck
5 Barbs
5 Giant
5 Bomb Tower
6 Skelet King
4 Skelet Horde
5 Prince
5 Balloon
2 Spear kobolds

which I'm not necessarily doing any worse with. Hm. Also first time I use a Tower and...it's quite nice actually, heh.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Only been playing this game for a few days, but had a Q based on watching the top-player videos. Is there any bonus to waiting until meter hits 10? It seems like people let it hit 10 and sometimes even wait at 10, which would appear inefficient unless I'm missing something (or it's just taking a hit on efficiency to have better countering). I know you want to send squads but don't know why you'd wait past 10 or even for it to hit precisely 10.

CodeNfX

Only been playing this game for a few days, but had a Q based on watching the top-player videos. Is there any bonus to waiting until meter hits 10? It seems like people let it hit 10 and sometimes even wait at 10, which would appear inefficient unless I'm missing something (or it's just taking a hit on efficiency to have better countering). I know you want to send squads but don't know why you'd wait past 10 or even for it to hit precisely 10.

I think it's not very accurate. I usually wait until 9 to drop something but I noticed when I watch my own replay it shows I'm sitting at 10 before I drop a unit. Sometimes my emote doesn't show on the replay either.

Gotchaye

It's just about countering, in two ways.

First, if you can you want to fight under your towers but with the enemy units attacking your units. That way you get free damage on them from your towers, your units will win, and then the other guy has to worry about spending something to stop them. Waiting as long as possible to play something makes it more likely that you'll be able to engage their stuff on your side of the map.

Second, obviously if you can wait to play until you see what they're playing you can choose the most effective unit.

At the beginning of the game you don't lose anything by waiting at 10 for a while. If you're ready to play something almost as soon as the other guy plays something, and they're presumably doing the same thing, then it's a wash. If it really is the case that it's always better to play just a little bit after the other guy, then obviously the equilibrium here is nobody plays anything until maybe the very last seconds of the game. Possibly it really is the best strategy to just wait for the other guy to go, but I'm not sure that people are patient enough for games where nothing happens to become common.

I think most people end up trying to play something right as they hit 10 because they feel that while playing second is nice, they make up for it by generating elixir in the time it takes their opponent to decide on a counter. But this can backfire if the other guy is just ready with a 10 elixir combo that will drop a tower and was just waiting for you to commit to a lane.

Brakara

If you send your troop first, it will meet your opponent's troop on his half giving him an advantage since his tower will help take out your troop. So sometimes there will be a longer dare to see who goes first. I mean, if your opponent isn't playing any troops then you're actually not being inefficient by not playing anything either. If he plays and you still wait, however, then you're of course being inefficient.

Personally, I tend to drop down a tesla tower on 10 because I have no patience for waiting longer.

If you're dropping units for the sake of freeing elixir, drop them all the way in the back of your main castle and have it be a slow unit.

Sitting on elixir is a valid strat, but you're also losing potential elixir because it's full.

commish

If you send your troop first, it will meet your opponent's troop on his half giving him an advantage since his tower will help take out your troop. So sometimes there will be a longer dare to see who goes first. I mean, if your opponent isn't playing any troops then you're actually not being inefficient by not playing anything either. If he plays and you still wait, however, then you're of course being inefficient.

Personally, I tend to drop down a tesla tower on 10 because I have no patience for waiting longer.

I will 100% always go first if they let me. If they want me to dictate the match, then fine, that's what I want. If they think they can just counter whatever I send their way and then attack me and catch me off guard, well, good luck with that :p

My favorite starting play is always knight plus archers. If left alone, that will wreck a tower, and you can't just drop low units to counter, like goblins, because the knight can take a lot of punishment.

I also never want my opponent to get the full 10 energy. Almost every player at 2700+ has some sort of golem/pekka/xbow/giant strategy in mind. If you let them get to 10 elixir, then you are letting them do their exact strategy. My strategy revolves around a series of attacks designed to take 500 to 1000 HP off a tower, so I need constant attacks. If my hog rider can get 2 swings in on an attack, that was a good attack for me.

Agent

Hit Arena 6 and pulled an Elixir Collector and Mirror from a chest this morning. Put together a totally not viable, but really funny last minute rush deck consisting of the Elixir Collector, Mirror, P.E.K.K.A, Tesla, Hog Rider, Baby Dragon, and Ice Wizard. Basically I've been riding the wave until the final minute and unleash hell. It's hilarious when it all comes together. It has way too high of an average elixir cost (4.5) and depends on too many variables for it to be a regular deck to use. I literally just sit here and laugh when it all comes together because I know the opponent is probably like "what the hell just happened?".

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks a lot for the analysis guys -- actually introduced other strategic considerations I hadn't fully thought about before. Game is super fun. I've heard a rumor that when you win 5 in a row or in some time span you get put up against harder opponents and definitely feel like that's happened to me a few times. Just stomping people then suddenly total WTF for 2-3 games where I just decided to take a break, and then came back and it was OK again. Could just be in my mind though the article I saw about it did match up with my experience.

dantehemi

Might need some help with my deck, currently playing
Giant lvl 5
Witch lvl 2
Bomb tower lvl 4
Fire ball lvl 4
Arrows lvl 5
Musketeer lvl 5
Spear goblin lvl 7
Tombstone lvl 3

I play my giant/witch attack and use bomb tower as my main D and musketeer as air D and arrows to clear mobs, fire balls to get that last sliver off a tower and spear goblins and tombstone for prince..what can I do better? I'm at about 1370 trophies and don't know if this will be effective at arena 5

Nerokis

Pretty settled into arena 5. I'm loving this game so much. Highest I've hit is a little over 1510, so arena 6 is looking quite distant right now. Level 6 and I'm currently using...

Cannon lvl 6
Prince lvl 2
Spear Goblin lvl 6
Skeletons lvl 6
Baby Dragon lvl 1
Hog Rider lvl 3
Minion Horde lvl 6
Arrows lvl 6

I experimented a lot earlier on, but I've been sticking with this deck recently; only card I ever switch out is the Hog Rider, sometimes for a musketeer, and sometimes for a rocket or a fireball. I'm feeling the need to branch out again.

bearbomb

Neo Member
Might need some help with my deck, currently playing
Giant lvl 5
Witch lvl 2
Bomb tower lvl 4
Fire ball lvl 4
Arrows lvl 5
Musketeer lvl 5
Spear goblin lvl 7
Tombstone lvl 3

I play my giant/witch attack and use bomb tower as my main D and musketeer as air D and arrows to clear mobs, fire balls to get that last sliver off a tower and spear goblins and tombstone for prince..what can I do better? I'm at about 1370 trophies and don't know if this will be effective at arena 5

I'm having the same issues as you, I have a few games in arena 5. It should all change once that patch comes out though because every person I've played in arena 5 is using a tesla/cannon combo and I played against one person who had 5 of the combined on screen at once haha.

I would switch your fireball out for something else to try to make yourself a bit more aggressive IMO

Nerokis

I got stuck in arena 3 for awhile, getting through arena 4 was smooth, and now I'm feeling the heat in arena 5. I've managed to get as high as 1645, but keeping up the momentum is tough. Back down to 1537.

The slow flow of new cards is starting to get a bit discouraging. It feels like the cards I neglect the most are also the cards I'm finding the most of, and advancing my deck requires either finding a ton of a single card, finding a very rare card, and assuming I manage either, putting down a significant chunk of gold. I envy all the people running around arena 4 with multiple lvl 7 commons, lvl 4+ rares, and lvl 2+ epics.

I also really envy the player I came across with a lvl 4 Wizard. Really wanting to give that card a try, but I want to at least get it to lvl 2 first. (Edit: Looking through past battles, I'm now realizing lvl 4+ Wizards are incredibly common to see around here. Somehow only noticed one.)

noonche

I just started playing too and it's a lot of fun. The f2p stuff is a bit on the annoying side but I'll stick with it for a while longer.

Are any of the gaf clans for noobs?

Keasar

Welp, that was the 15th loss in a row. Every deck I try gets countered. Fucking baby dragons and skeleton armies. I got up to Arena 5 and now I feel like I am loosing not only because of worse decks but because everyone has higher leveled up cards.

TheExodu5

Banned
I wish they would lower minion health. Minions should be 1 shot by equal level musketeers or 2 shot by equal level archers.

Because minions are so effective and only wizards counter them, it's nearly essential to have arrows. It's no surprise that arrows are the most popular card in any deck.

JoeNut

Ugh i am so tempted to buy the Xbow that's come up on my store, seems to be random as my friends is a prince (which i also want!)

2000 coins would mean i'd have to buy gems though :|

Future

Ugh i am so tempted to buy the Xbow that's come up on my store, seems to be random as my friends is a prince (which i also want!)

2000 coins would mean i'd have to buy gems though :|

And that is why this is a top grossing game lol. Dem choices

commish

Welp, that was the 15th loss in a row. Every deck I try gets countered. Fucking baby dragons and skeleton armies. I got up to Arena 5 and now I feel like I am loosing not only because of worse decks but because everyone has higher leveled up cards.

Sometimes I'll lose 500+ cups in a single sitting. Just go on those losing streaks. Best to stop playing for a while after you lose a few.

J0dy77

Sometimes I'll lose 500+ cups in a single sitting. Just go on those losing streaks. Best to stop playing for a while after you lose a few.

The problem that I have with these types of losing streaks, they're often caused by hitting a tier of higher level players and cards. I've lost and tied so many close games where a tower needed one or two more hits to fall while I'm level 5 against a level 7 player with more HP and damage coming out of those towers.

I can deal with the higher level cards, the towers being stronger is BS and just a way to suck you into the p2w model.

hollomat

Banned
The problem that I have with these types of losing streaks, they're often caused by hitting a tier of higher level players and cards. I've lost and tied so many close games where a tower needed one or two more hits to fall while I'm level 5 against a level 7 player with more HP and damage coming out of those towers.

I can deal with the higher level cards, the towers being stronger is BS and just a way to suck you into the p2w model.

If you're going to have the level of cars increased you also have to increase the towers. Otherwise imagine a lvl 10 giant of other lvl 10 cards against a lvl 1 tower. It would just be who could rush the other first

Chorazin

Never really got hooked on these sorts of games before, but I'm having a blast with this. Glad I got those Google Rewards bucks to throw towards free gems!

Seamless switching between my phone and tablet is excellent. It looks and plays great on a 10 inch screen.

They should rename TV Royale to TV Clutch. So many games where when it's against two good players the finale win is decided by one play in the last few seconds.

Maximus P

My 8 year old daughter asked me for help earlier on her account as she was struggling to get any chests. Shes in arena 2 and only just level 4.

First guy I fight against is a level 6 with x-bows.... What a massive c**t.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My 8 year old daughter asked me for help earlier on her account as she was struggling to get any chests. Shes in arena 2 and only just level 4.

First guy I fight against is a level 6 with x-bows.... What a massive c**t.

You can pay to win, but you really won't stick around the lower levels for that long and there's no benefit to doing so, so besides the occasional mismatch the matchmaking and rewards systems take care of that issue pretty well. Not to say you won't run into overleveled people, just that it's not just a giant pool, so you'd really only catch them briefly on the way up.

commish

You can pay to win, but you really won't stick around the lower levels for that long and there's no benefit to doing so, so besides the occasional mismatch the matchmaking and rewards systems take care of that issue pretty well. Not to say you won't run into overleveled people, just that it's not just a giant pool, so you'd really only catch them briefly on the way up.

Some of my clanmates will lose cups on purpose to get easier matchups at lower levels for wins :\

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Some of my clanmates will lose cups on purpose to get easier matchups at lower levels for wins :\

oh ok nm then. :p Was basing it on articles I'd read (and even a tip in the game I think?) and personal experience. I guess you do need wins to get those chests but I thought the higher-arena prizes were sufficiently better to make up for it maybe taking a couple more games to get the wins? I haven't played super-close attention though.

Man, the top-player cards seem to be improving dramatically by the day. I swear yesterday their foils were at L1-L2, and today they're all L3-L4. $$$$$$$$$ Cool thing is though that maybe apart from some weird tanking situations I do feel like you can get a fair fight almost anywhere on the ladder just because the ranking system is pretty good, so you can just kind of look at the top-player decks and laugh but it doesn't compromise the gameplay experience.

These arena 5 matches yo. Mostly against higher level people. The only positive is that most of my matches there have ended in a draw, so could be worse.

J0dy77

If you're going to have the level of cars increased you also have to increase the towers. Otherwise imagine a lvl 10 giant of other lvl 10 cards against a lvl 1 tower. It would just be who could rush the other first

My point was that I'm on the short end of the stick on both of these. I have lower level cards than a higher level player AND he has higher hpt/more dmg towers. I can deal with one, not both. Tower damage and HP should be restricted by arena lvl.

commish

oh ok nm then. :p Was basing it on articles I'd read (and even a tip in the game I think?) and personal experience. I guess you do need wins to get those chests but I thought the higher-arena prizes were sufficiently better to make up for it maybe taking a couple more games to get the wins? I haven't played super-close attention though.

Man, the top-player cards seem to be improving dramatically by the day. I swear yesterday their foils were at L1-L2, and today they're all L3-L4. $$$$$$$$$ Cool thing is though that maybe apart from some weird tanking situations I do feel like you can get a fair fight almost anywhere on the ladder just because the ranking system is pretty good, so you can just kind of look at the top-player decks and laugh but it doesn't compromise the gameplay experience.

Well, to be clear, they will lose matches but stay within the same group. We've all been playing since soft launch, so all of us are in arenas 7/8. So, someone might drop from 2500 to 2000 because the air is better at 2000. But I don't think anyone would tank to lower arenas for the reason you specified. I agree with you that 95% of my fights are pretty fair. Even when they have higher cards than me, it's balanced against the fact that they aren't the best players :p Usually it's someone who has one win condition (e.g, I will drop that xbow or I won't do anything) who have great cards but stuck at low levels.

Gotchaye

Got to Arena 7 yesterday and now I don't really have a goal anymore. I'll probably collect a few more cards but then stop unless they do something interesting with tournaments. Still, fun game for a couple of weeks.

Maximus P

Some of my clanmates will lose cups on purpose to get easier matchups at lower levels for wins :

Which is what happened I think.

Im pretty sure you would have to get to arena 4/5 to get x-bows then drop to my daughter's level at arena 2 for the situation I mentioned.

On my own account i'm seeing less x-bows now the patch is out which is good as I found then really annoying. I seem to be losing more though and I've dropped from 1600 to 1400. I may have to re think my deck as I seem to be coming across a lot of air based decks that I don't have a strong defese against.

Which is what happened I think.

Im pretty sure you would have to get to arena 4/5 to get x-bows then drop to my daughter's level at arena 2 for the situation I mentioned.

On my own account i'm seeing less x-bows now the patch is out which is good as I found then really annoying. I seem to be losing more though and I've dropped from 1600 to 1400. I may have to re think my deck as I seem to be coming across a lot of air based decks that I don't have a strong defese against.

Yeah I'm having to rethink mine as well for similar reasons, guess if you can't beat them, then join them.

FerranMG

How useful do you think the Skeleton Army is at level 2?
It's in my shop today, and I'm trying to decide if I should buy it for 2000 coins. I would be able to upgrade it to level 2 since I already have one.
I'm not sure if the usual ~10% increase in HP and damage would be noticeable at all, since the skeletons have such low stats.

How useful do you think the Skeleton Army is at level 2?
It's in my shop today, and I'm trying to decide if I should buy it for 2000 coins. I would be able to upgrade it to level 2 since I already have one.
I'm not sure if the usual ~10% increase in HP and damage would be noticeable at all, since the skeletons have such low stats.

Not really, they will still get taken out by most things, it's more the amount than the damage they output.

Fun game but incredibly unbalanced matchmaking. You get matched with people with these killer cards that u dont have and you basically dont stand a chance of winning. There has to be a better way of doing it than that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
several times now I've come up against people with decks full of buildings. If I don't take them out quickly (which can be difficult if a single level 4 fireball won't take them out in one hit), they can quickly end up with a village on their side, and then managing the constant trickle of enemies can be too much.

Might even set up one of my decks like that to try out.

Fun game but incredibly unbalanced matchmaking. You get matched with people with these killer cards that u dont have and you basically dont stand a chance of winning. There has to be a better way of doing it than that.

Matchmaking is balanced fine. It is based on trophy count in case you have not noticed.

The ones with the higher lvls and better card were either dropped down to your trophy level because they suck bad. Or they just bought those cards and are moving on up out of your bracket anyway.

several times now I've come up against people with decks full of buildings. If I don't take them out quickly (which can be difficult if a single level 4 fireball won't take them out in one hit), they can quickly end up with a village on their side, and then managing the constant trickle of enemies can be too much.

Just push the opposite lane.

TheExodu5

Banned

I hate building decks so much.

The problem is that if you don't have fireball or lightning, there's no effective cost counter to buildings, and even then, they can rotate them in faster than you can take them out. It's an annoying war of attrition.

That's part of the reason I might add xbow back in my deck...defensively placed, it's great at sniping buildings for free.

commish

The problem is that if you don't have fireball or lightning, there's no effective cost counter to buildings, and even then, they can rotate them in faster than you can take them out. It's an annoying war of attrition.

That's part of the reason I might add xbow back in my deck...defensively placed, it's great at sniping buildings for free.

Which is why lightning/fireball are so useful!

I hate fighting hut decks and still have a problem with them because I don't always run a wizard and/or lighting. Poison demolishes hut decks though, if you have it.

Fireball is a waste on a building. 4 elixr to not even take out a building.

Just push the offense in the opposite lane or where it is weaker. Those buildings are expensive to put down. They usually wont have elixr to counter with.

Flying units are good against buildings and things they try to drop in the middle behind the river.

LogicStep

KINFSUA.jpg

Seems to be OK so far. Wish I had some better cards to use. Barely gotten any arena 4 cards.

Just got a balloon card lol. Might include that into the deck.

Top Bottom